-
AuthorContent
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2716855

This link is to a site that I buy prisms from for my windchimes. Great prices, decent service, and shipping is reasonable. They do have a few garden products and last night when I was looking for diamond polishing pads I noticed they have some small greenhouses.

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/groupslist.aspx?CategoryID=158&selection=19

Thumbnail by shadowgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luv2dig2006
Lonoke, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2006
12:02 AM

Post #2717079

I wonder how sturdy those greenhouses are?
mjfulgham
Madison, MS

September 13, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2717310

I know I need one! - I could keep in it in the garage with grow lights couldn't I?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2717658

Yes, you probably could keep it in a garage if no one in your family protests ;o)

The problem I see with them (besides potential problems with wind) is the size - 5 x 3 x 6 is too small to efficiently heat, especially for those of us in zone 7a or colder. And most likely the plastic isn't UV rated so don't expect a long life out of it if it's going outdoors.

I built a 10 x 12 GH out of PVC and UV-rated 6-mil plastic several years ago. It didn't look terribly sturdy, but it held up to a tornado that tore up Home Depot's GH roofing. I used 50-pound bags of playsand to "anchor" it since it sat on a pavement (a concrete turnaround stub area of our driveway.)
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2717659

They are probably sturdy enough to sit on a porch, deck, or patio against the house in a protected place from strong winds. That way it could benefit from the heat of your house. I would use something like it to get a jump on the season with the EE's and small tropicals that have been dormant. A small space heater would keep the temps above freezing on cold nights if you threw a tarp over it. I reckon they would work nicely for starting seeds or cuttings, because you could control the humidity. .

We also put up a 8' x 12' x 7' PVC, 2 X 4, 6 MIL plastic lined with bubble wrap greenhouse. It is anchored by railroad ties laid out in a rectangle and we use an old storm door. But even in it all I strive for is keeping it above freezing and the plants against the plastic can get freezer burn on really cold nights. But it works and many of the brugs and citrus trees keep leaves, in fact that is usually where the citrus starts blooming. In 7b, I have to turn the heat off during the day and it gets too hot. The biggest problem I have is forgetting to close it up and turn the heater back on around 4:00 pm. I lost a few plants that way this past winter.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 10:22 PM
luvplantsinms2
Eupora, MS

September 13, 2006
11:39 AM

Post #2718342

Michelle,
I have one similiar to this and it's great for starting seeds, etc..early on..I place it outside in the daytime and bring in the garage at night..it can get pretty warm in there during the day with the sun.. you have to watch and just unzip for venting..as far as your garage..do you have windows..I have a large garage that has 2 windows and the door has windows..when we built the house..we had the ceilings finished, but left the walls for hubby to keep him busy..he insulated well..I keep my plants there in the winter plus some in the house and haven't lost anything..actually they do well..not too hot nor cold...I was hoping for a large GH this yr...but too much going on..maybe next. Only problem, if you have as many plants as I do you can't park in it and have to put up with a hubby fussing about a messy garage..LIFE GOES ON!!LOL He'll get me a GH.
Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America