Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Australian forum

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 27, Views: 389
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozboy
Cowes
Australia

September 12, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #2716870

I like that I will use it as much as I can.
Just showing my graftet tomatoe on my decking.
JWB

Thumbnail by Ozboy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bloomoon
Outer Hobart
Australia
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2717292

Welcome to the Aussie forum everyone!
We are in our Spring time here.
and it's bloomin beautiful.
below..an Eastern Spinebill on Banksia spinulosa
in my garden.

Thumbnail by bloomoon

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2006
4:14 AM

Post #2717950

Yes spring is with us indeed. Welcome all to the Aussie forum, here is a patch of scented sundew (Drosera whittakeri) welcoming the spring:

Thumbnail by kennedyh

annette68
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2720403

Hi,

Gotta love the pics, live in the tropics and grow anything but Australian plants, although I do have a small kangaroo paw.I think my garden is 99% exotic,ooops,I do have a dianella,cardwell lily,native butterfly vine and the spear lily.

It is a start, I love bulbs,impatiens species and salvias.they take up most off my gardens.I love the climate most off all here in the tropics, I just dont like the electricity bills in summer after 24/7 using the airconditioners. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Cheers Annette

Salvia Meyeri pic:

Thumbnail by annette68

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2006
12:16 AM

Post #2720506

Hey Ya'll, proud to see you have a forum!!!

FYI There are 1998 DG members who live in Australia but only 25 are subscribers.

When the Mid-South Gardening Forum was created I sent emails to all the subscribers who lived in the heart of region advising them that the forum had been created. I open a thread entitled "getting to know you" which has had many postings and resulting in friendly feelings. Later we decided to have a "RoundUp In Tupelo MS" so I sent out emails to people within driving distance. It was so successful we decided to "do it again this Fall" so more dmails but this time to everyone within driving distance regardless of if they were a member or subscriber. Then we decided to have a Plant Swap in central AR and another person sent out dmails to people within driving distance.

We've made many friends by posting on the threads and several members have become subscribers but it took a couple of us really working hard to get the word out.

To find out who the members are that live in Australia, go to the MemberList tab at the top of the "home screen", click, then scroll down, click on Australia and you will find the list.

Again, I'm glad you have a forum for Australia and that it is very successful!!

Judy
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2720639

Hey I'm an Aussie, this is going to make me feel homesick!

I will be popping in to see what's going on here! I DO grow some Aussie plants, my Acacia dealbata is huge now and has made viable seed. I have some already growing, should be extra hardy!

bloomoon, I love your Banksia. I tried growing one once, and of course we had a very hard winter the first year and it didn't live.

I have some Kunzea ambigua seedlings which went through last winter in the greenhouse, it was a hard winter so I have high hopes for it.

I also have Leptospermum nitidum growing in the garden, I grew them from seed and they are quite large now. I lost L Red Damask last winter, so sad. I have a large, almost tree of one I got a few years ago as a plug plant, which was supposed to be a dwarf double red, it's single pink and gets smothered in flowers.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2006
9:27 AM

Post #2721498

From the Northern Rivers New South Wales but currently up at Mount Victoria near Katomba in the Blue Mountains on a working holiday in the SNOW . Yes it is Spring .
Any more northern rivers people around ?
Holty

Thumbnail by holty

windale
Royalla
Australia

September 14, 2006
9:53 AM

Post #2721516

Hi Everyone,

I live rurally in South East Australia. I am so happy that this forum has been set up, a big thanks to Daves Gardens for doing this for us. Now we can come in here and talk about our plants and actually understand our climates better. Sometimes very hard to do this in the other forums as they are in the reverse to us.

I have a small farm, grow calla lilies and clivia and alstromeria. I also own a coffee shop that I open on weekends at an abandoned Railway Station. Beautiful espresso coffees sitting outside on the platform in the sun. Bring on Spring, I live relatively close to the snow and I am over being cold all day and night. My beautiful Rosella's are starting to come back because of the buds on my flowers in the house yard, the baby cows are lying around in the lovely new sun and my cat thinks it is heaven lying in the brilliant sunshine on the verandah.

I couldn't be happier!

Cheers
Windale

bloomoon
Outer Hobart
Australia
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2722988

wow this all feels like home.
great to read all the posts an pics,
most impressive Leptospermum blooms Wallaby
hope they bring some comfort to you
as you are so far from Oz.
i could never get a tea tree to look that good!
and kennedyh, that was the first Drosera i ever met, and got curious about..
when i used to ramble through the Hills in Adelaide..where once i lived..
love the gum leaf in the pic!

Very good networking ideas judyc.
yes, more aussies should be subscribers and sharing their gardens.
my impressions on other garden forums for Australians,
is ..less than impressed.
not nearly as much enthusiasm as i have found amongst our US friends,
but then of course, our seasons are all reversed, and one feels a bit left out.
so maybe this one will be better.

windale, you paint a lovely picture of rural living..
i'm with your cat, lounging in the sunshine
it is the only way to go !
i recently had some Alstroemeria violacea from Ursula in Chile
germinate, amongst a few more from her..
very exciting.

and you mention Clivia, which i am also a fan of.
and, i was lucky enough to get two seedlings of the new species
C.mirabilis from a local member of the Aust.Bulb Assoc.
which, short of going to South Africa, climbing mountains in the wilderness
and spending a fortune...is the best way to secure rarities!
I recommend the ABA a source of bulb seeds, and info, pics, and e- friends.
go to..
http://www.ausbulbs.org/
if you are interested.

Anyhow. great to meet you all.
look forward to your posts.
Arte in Oz.
and a pic from my garden.
Banksia ericifolia

Thumbnail by bloomoon

WyeeGarden
Gosford
Australia

September 16, 2006
12:01 PM

Post #2728815

Hi Aussies, I joined Dave's Garden last week and have just this minute found you guys. Fantastic Leptospermum blooms, I have a white one which is lovely too. My picture contribution is a Litoria fallax (Dwarf Tree Frog) which jumped on to my husband's face when we were working in the garden.

Thumbnail by WyeeGarden

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2006
8:00 PM

Post #2729949

Welcome to Dave's Garden and to the Aussie forum WyeeGarden. I love your Dwarf Tree Frog picture,

Ken
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2006
9:06 PM

Post #2730122

Hi Wyee,
Welcome to DG.
You will find this far more than a garden site and can find a forum covering just about any subject you can think of.
And the MOST important thing I have found in more than 3 years members are HAPPY and treat each other with respect even if their questions seem a little "silly".
Holty.
PS . Nice photo

leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

September 18, 2006
11:30 AM

Post #2734652

Hi everyone. So glad that the Aussie's have their own forum. Although it is great to converse with the others like Judy etc. it is also great to see how other Aussie's are going.

Love all the pics especially the Dwarf Tree Frog - CUTE!! :-) Lee
rampheisel
CASTLEMAINE, Victori
Australia

September 18, 2006
12:02 PM

Post #2734711

HI Everyone, Isn't this just great.
I live in Castlemaine Vic, and collect unusual bulbs,.
My fritillarias are blooming at present, I am just loving them.
I have a high stone walled courtyard garden, but will have to make some chages as we have NO outside watering this year...so sad.
Cheers Rampheisel (Anne or Gypsy)
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

September 18, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2734862

Hi Anne
I was just going to hyperlink to this thread from the 'painting on tiles' thread but I see you have already found this one!!! Tuff about the water restrictions but where there is a will there is a way. We are trialing two different 'grey water' systems at present. Got them at Bunnings in Ballarat. One cost around $9 (it has a foam stopper to stop the grey water going down into the drainage system). The other cost around $20 and this one has a control switch on it. (but you have to also buy the plastic piping). This one is good because if you decide that you want the 'grey water' to go down into the drainage system you only have to turn the switch - otherwise you lead it out to the garden or the area that you wish to water.

Both were fairly easy to fit. If my hubby can do it - anyone can. I always say that I married 'Tim the Tool man' not 'Bob the Builder'. (He doesn't always get it right but at least he tries!! Actually he very rarely gets it right - but I love him anyway!!!) LOL :-) Lee
ozmantis
Horsham
Australia

September 23, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2751103

Hi folks. Yes the water restrictions are bucket only here in Horsham. I bought a 600 litre slimline tank and put it beside the laundrey. The grey water goes into the tank and then move the hose around the different plants. Mantis
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

October 4, 2006
10:54 AM

Post #2784200

Our area will be on Stage 4 Restrictions by November: No outside watering at all. That is the reason we have decided to pospone planting our front garden. The way it's going we will be landscaping it differently - and use statures and other features - and not plants!!!! Even though we were to plant native shrubs etc - they still need water to get them established. I don't see things (lack of rains) changing in the near future!!! :-) Lee
gardenlen
brisbane
Australia

October 5, 2006
6:27 AM

Post #2787329

g'day lee,

rise to the challenge i say chuckle.

if you are planting indemic natives (much more prefferable to just any native) i reckon you will still have success.

first up have you considered putting in a rainwater tank of substantial capacity, you work out your roof sq/mtr size, then for every 1mm of rain that fall on that catchment that will feed the (proposed) tank will give you 1 litre of capured water. not knowing your garden size but using indemics you may get away with using as little as 1,000 litres of water per month to get the plants established.

you can make it easier to get water down below the root zone or near the bottom of the root zone by placing on either side a section of that 50mm flexible ag-pipe verticaly as you back fill for the plant.

now once planted give each plant a good watter in from the top 1 or even 1/2 a watering can of water should do, create a well/dam around the plant at the surface to capture any rain water and stop it running away. then heavily mulch them using hay mulches, i would even suggest a bag of mushroom compost spread over that area before the hay.

with the hay i mean at least 10"s and have in mind to add more and maintaine that density, that will keep a lot of moisture contained.

now until you decide on the tank and just in case buy a fist full of those cheap plastic buckets to put out around the yard for when it rains, then find a way to store that water for the next dry period eg.,. one of those 220 liter (44 imp/gal) drums will do nicely. even if you bought one of them for each downpipe it would be way better than nothoing at all.

we are just about to start our plantings of citrus. i/natives and some others dry spell or not, stage 4 restrictions or not, can't see the sens in not trying and then whammo you get a good month or rainfall and the plants will go beserk.

other things to consider plant along the contour lines in rows, create swale by building up over burden on the lower side of the plants and along the rows, guess waht i am saying is think outside the square. you can also create sahde covers over the plants to minmise moisture loss through the leaves, ok some of this may look a little differnt for a while but the end result is what is wanted

let us know

len

http://www.gardenlen.com/
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

October 18, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2829685

Sounds as if you l have a great community on the go.

Just checked in to see some iris pix. None??? Are you all so tropical that yu can't grow iris, not even Louisiana iris? Are there any australian species iris? Or lilies (my other cannot-live-without plant).

inanda aka Ginny in Winnpeg, Canada
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2829775

There are Australian irises and lilies, but they are all much smaller flowered species than the more familiar ones, here is our beautiful Fringe Lily (Thysanotus tuberosus)

Thumbnail by kennedyh

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2829781

and here is one of the Australian irises, the Long Purple Flag (Patersonia occidentalis)

Thumbnail by kennedyh

Roybe
Brisbane
Australia

October 19, 2006
11:01 AM

Post #2830949

Hello WyeeGarden, welcome to the Aussie forum. I wish our Littoria Fallax were that tame. They are doing a lot of chirping at the moment but no breeding so far. Probably due to our lack of rain. If you would like to know about our frogs feel free to visit http://froggarden.blogspot.com/ anytime cheers Roy
ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2006
7:06 AM

Post #2958208

Well. hope you have got room for a kiwi on this forum. As a wooly jubper (wooly - sheep - kiwi mother and jumper - kangaroo - Aussie father, I think I will fit in o.k.) Lol.
I am so happy to have this forum where our seasons are the same. I have had lots of enjoyment since becoming a memeber of D.G since the beginning of this year but it was hard going looking at all the lovely summer plant photos during our winter and it has been fun to send them my photos in our Spring. It will be great to be sending pics to you guys over there.

This is a pic of my climbing rose "Westerland'. Would love to see how your roses are growing.

Thumbnail by ferrymead

ginger749

December 1, 2006
7:36 AM

Post #2958221

ferrymead
You will fit in just fine.
I have 30 black sheep living right next door to me.
They use the wool in art & craft shops.
Because of the colour. [not color]
You have been with DG 8 months longer than me.
On ya M8.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #2959533

Hi ferrymead,

Most of us are Poms from wayback anyway .

Plenty of roses up here too , you just have to watch the humidity a bit .

I grow mostly old roses to suit the style of the house and laugh when people comment on the fact they "smell like old fashioned roses"

No rugby talk allowed :-)

Holty...

Thumbnail by holty

ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2006
4:17 AM

Post #2963708

ginger, black sheep over the fence are better than black sheep in the family!!
Yes, I don't change English spelling for American spelling either. One has to keep up one's standards! LOL
I will certainly be re - subscribing next year to d.g. I am sure you will get as much enjoyment from it as I am having.

Holty. yes, we are all pretty hybrid nowadays but the gardening gene seems to be a constant
Lovely photo of your rose, I can almost smell it from here. What is it's name? I see it is growing with a wire trellis support, that must be ideal for training and holding it in place. I had my husband run three number 8 wires along the 6 foot board boundary fence to help me with that.
This is a pic of my standard miniature rose called 'The Fairy'

Thumbnail by ferrymead

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2965049

The Rose is called Prosperity.

The flowers are on one stem and need support but after having a quick look around the garden all mine have some form of support because of the high winds we get around here .

Crepuscule is about the best rose I have found for this area climate wise and blooms for about 9 months of the year .

ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2006
8:02 PM

Post #2965316

Both of those roses are new names for me. What a good bloomer Crepuscule is, really worhwhile for long term colour in the garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America