Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

A weekend in Montana fishing and reading a book

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a series of pictures of what Karen and I did on Labor Day. This is a spot up a 2 track into the Whitefish mountains. Lots of beaver dams. A great place to snooze. The bubbling brook and sounds of the wild to make you sleep on a moss covered rock.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is the strech below our camp and I fished and caught many cutthroat. Thank you beavers. I never saw anybody for 2 days here. Kind of off the trail thanks to a great rock slide that we had to move to get there.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

It is nice to break a paddle in this quiet mountain lake. This is Bowman lake in the west side of Glacier Park. Hardly anybody goes up to the end of this lake by canoe. Can you figure?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is great stopping spot heading into the Glacier chasms to pick up home made bake goods, and have a chat with someone on the porch while you sip your coffee and eat that wonderful Danish.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Skydiving via camera perspective. I took this with the mountain reflected in the back on the lake. I was standing and flipped it to make the illusion.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Getting up in the morning in a log cabin is special. The sky is so much more bright. The musty smell of a cabin that has been closed all summer. We use this cabin which is near the Canadian Border to Snow shoe and ski (cross country) when the snow falls deep. Sometimes we get stuck up there cause there is over 60miles of 2 track that only gets plowed once weekly and only 1 lane. When you meet a car you have to back up to the next plow out to pass. Not too many cars encountered.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Absolutely outstanding!!!

The pictures say it all, don't they!

Got any more pic's of fish, camp or wildlife? Are you fly fishing?

Did you hike in or atv's or ?

Dan

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is another lake right on the Canadian Border called Kintla. This is where you can climb up over 8,000 feet of scree to the continental divide in the northen part of Glacier. Lots of Bears here.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is the camp we drove into. We were canoeing so had to suffer to stay here for a couple of nights. Though we did pick up a packrat in our car in the middle of the night and had to go for a drive and blast "Tosca" (Opera) to drive him out. I fished and caught 5 cutthroat but got back from fishing in the dark and ate the buggers right away.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The river went on and on to another spectacular view. This is where I got the following photo of the bear track. Grizzley.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

this is the print hard to tell size but about 10" long with big claws in the mud.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Early morning after breakfast while reading. Nice neighborhood. The sun came up at the open end of the valley. Rather nice start to a day of hiking. The huckelberries were almost gone.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Last one cause I got to split wood tomorrow and need my rest.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

From these pictures and the ones you have posted in your diary I can see you are living in Paradise on Earth! What an extraordinary showplace you have created! I tip my hat to you and Karen for all of the hard work and dedication it must have taken to accomplish what you've done.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, the pictures of the lake make me want to take out the canoe. What a beautiful area you are in. Thanks for the pictures.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

In 2 weeks I start my "Voyager" trip from Rocky Mountain House Alberta to eventually my home town off Lake Michigan. 3400 miles in a canoe. I can't wait. I am doing it in 4 or 5 legs over 2 years. I decided to start late in the fall cause the little buggers (misquitos) are frozen out. Pictures to follow in a month.
The best time of year where I live is now cause the bull Elk bugle all day and night. There are over 50 bulls in the areas around my house. Some of them sound better than YoYo Ma.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Beaverton, OR

The streams sure are clear up there, aren't they !!

Montana is great.

We went to Ohio with some friends, several times, and we always took the highway through Montana.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes the highway through Montana is a long drive. Over 12 hrs non-stop at 75MPH. though only the western side is my cup of tea. Too many flat wheatfields on the east side.
The streams are beautiful up here cause they are as close to the untarnished rain drop. No pollutants except smoke from wood burning. Not bad. If you look closely at the edge of the stream bank you will see an overhang. Under it in the heat of the day is where the cutthroat hang out. You can sometimes get under their bellies and toss them out onto the bank. No pole needed.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi soferdig! love your photos! i recognized the photo of bowman lake and the polebrigde mercantile. our first backpacking trip that we did in glacier started at bowman lake. my most favorite photo that my DH has taken was near the campground at the end of bowman lake on our last night before we finished our trek (the canoe belonged to some other backpackers who were smart enough to canoe the length of the lake instead of hiking it).

http://www.pbase.com/jgsampso/image/37225272

the baked goods at the mercantile are such a wonderful treat after being back in the woods for 5 days eating dehydrated meals and trail mix. i strongly recomend stopping there.

have a great time on your "voyager" trip. how far and how long are you going to go on this leg? can't wait to hear about your trip!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice photos of Glacier! It is nice to see others memories of places that we take for granted. Yes the canoe works better for the trip to the climb to Browns pass. Just a simple lock keeps those away from temptation. The first leg is the shortest. Look on a map of Alberta and east of Jasper park is Rocky mountain house. then just follow the N. Sask down to Prince Albert. It will be the most beautiful part but not the most isolated.
This is my Mad River Mistrale. It will be used in the fast water part.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice color in the water. The red is from canada carried down here by the glaciers. Some of the Iron Core of the earth thrown up in the early earth.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is my grandfathers Old Town that will sail down the slow stretches of the N. Sask and Sask to Lk Winnipeg. rowing seat and 2 paddle seats with a sail to use in the blows that happen daily carrying me to my destination.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

sounds like fun. are you going by your self or is someone going with you?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am recruiting on all legs except the sailing leg down the isolated parts of Sask, and manitoba. I just want to sail and experience the desolation of the place. Then when I need to talk I will crawl out on the bank and visit some rancher. Your never alone on this planet. I am looking for someone to do Boundary Waters from Minnisota to Rainy Lake and beyond to Lk Winnipeg. Please note I am paddling down river all the way. LOL

Beaverton, OR

I like the west side of it better to, but any full stretch of it, for me, is more relaxing compared to a full stretch of Wyoming or Kansas.

By the way, I'm guessing that most people in Montana know about the Missoula floods, and how Oregon's Willamette Valley got so much good soil.

Thanks Montana !!

If you are not familiar, here is a page of info that I condensed...

http://www.mdvaden.com/missoula_flood.shtml

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I sent you a long statement that I live in Montana Geologyand the Glacial effects of the continental glaciers that formed all of our current river basins. I am too tired to send it again. But it is facinating. There is a house sized rock in Eastern Washington that came from the flathead valley.

Beaverton, OR

That reminded me to alter my email in my Dave's Garden profile. It was left-over from a couple of years ago.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, Soferdig. My husband and I are fly fisher-people. We've been to Alaska 2 times. Both trips were in the Wood Titchtik area. This past late August, we did our first trip to Montana. We stayed in West Yellowstone so that we could access a lot of streams. Beautiful!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes I have fished the rivers and ocean and love what I catch. Where is Wood Titchitik?

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

It is about 250 miles north of Dillingham, AK. We fished with Fishing Bear, a fantastic owner and lodge. No more than 6 people per week and the best trout we've ever seen.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

sounds wonderful. I bet you had to practice before going up fly fishing. Ha Ha.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.