Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Where are you in AU .

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 219, Views: 2,313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2006
9:39 AM

Post #2721507

Far North Coast of New South Wales .
DG member for a few years and especially like the "friendly atmosphere" of the site and the wide range of forums covered.
Regards to all AU members .
Holty...
If you Google (or any search engine) "holtys" you will find what I am into .
windale
Royalla
Australia

September 14, 2006
9:46 AM

Post #2721512

Hi Holty,

I am in South East Australia, down near Canberra. Yahoo for Daves Garden for giving us our own forum area. Lets hope I don't forget how to get in here.

Cheers
Windale
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2006
1:18 PM

Post #2721887

Hi,
I am even further South in Churchill in the Gippsland region of Victoria, among all the brown coal burning power stations.

Ken
bloomoon
Outer Hobart
Australia
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2723017

Hi everyone,
i'm living on the Central Coast of NSW, at Gosford.
about 100 ks..( thankfully! ) from Sydney city.
It's very green here, a great place to grow all sorts of things, but not the extremity lovers of
cold or hot..we get just enough of both, to make your Heliconia struggle,
and your Daffs fail to bloom!
i have a range of plant interests..all the usual suspects,
but mostly bulbous things, Iilys, irids, amaryllids,
and fave colours are blue, purple flowers..
which includes the vivid Blue Leschenaultia, in bloom currently.

I really like the enthusiasm DG members have for their gardens, and communicating in the forums. And i have traded seeds a few times with friendly US folks.
its a beautiful thing..a wide world of Gardening.
arte
Ozboy
Cowes
Australia

September 14, 2006
10:53 PM

Post #2723739

Hi everyone,
I live in Cowes Phillip Island Grand Prix motorbikes here this weekend.,Other wise a beautiful place.
JWB (0zboy)

Thumbnail by Ozboy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

annette68
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2006
8:06 PM

Post #2727088

Hello All,

I am up north in Qld, in Townsville (Home of the Cowboys), Thanks Dave for giving us our own forum.
Lem79
Gold Coast
Australia

September 16, 2006
4:58 AM

Post #2728546

Hi all..

I'm from the northern Gold Coast, in southeast Queensland. Quite a nice place here.
tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

September 17, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2731171

G'day Everyone,
I am indeed proud to be a member of Dave,s Garden but especially part of the Aussie forum. I am 66 yrs of age self funded retiree since 2000. My hobby is sub-tropical fruit trees most in the un-usual mold to this region. Success to me is for the tree to grow and develop before worrying about budding/flowering/fruiting that will take care of it's self eventually! may i mention a few in my "success" bracket. Guava ( Indian, Hawaiian, Thai green, Strawberry, Fejoa(pineapple), Aussie common, Stone Fruit (Pear,Plum,Peach,Peachcott,), Grumachama,(Black&white), Madrano, Jaboticaba, Sapote(3 varities), Loquat, Jambolin plum, Nashi pear, Japanese Raisin, Sea grape, Tamarillo, Pitomba, Star/Rose Apple, Cherimoya, & those that have produced fruit Orange,Lemon, Pommelo, Mandarin, Lime(grafted to old lemon), Tangelo, Tangerine, Longan, Babaco, Carambola, Cumquat, Ice cream bean, Also tree cabbage about 4'6" now. I would be happy to swap tips/ideas/info etc with anyone interested.

Bazza Smith
Bundaberg Qld.
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

September 18, 2006
11:24 AM

Post #2734637

Hi everyone. My name is Lee and I live in Talbot which is in Central Victoria. We are located about 1/2 an hour north of Ballarat. It is extremely dry down this way and already we are to be on Stage 4 water restrictions by November!!! Not fun when one is just starting to landscape ones front garden!!! Looks like we will have to take it back to the drawing board as, although we were to use mostly natives, you still need water to get them established. Have to have a rethink!!! LOL :-) Lee
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2006
5:40 PM

Post #2736009

Congratulations on your new forum!

I am doing a raindance for you Lee. Hope you get all you want soon. Nothing worse than hard dry dirt!
Carol
Roybe
Brisbane
Australia

September 22, 2006
12:31 AM

Post #2747283

G'day folks, my names Roy and I'm married with two daughters and I've been retired a couple of years. I live in inner-city Brisbane, I love gardening in a sub-tropical climate. I joined Dave's Garden mainly to communicate with Hoya growers but was thrilled to see an Aussie forum. So I'm looking forward to sharing information and learning from others in this great country of ours. My garden blog is http://froggarden.blogspot.com/ Happy gardening. Roy
N593
newcastle
Australia

September 22, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2748987

Hi everyone,
I live in Newcastle, across the road from the beach and so get a lot of sea spray. Just starting up a garden so need plants that will tolerate salt spray and sandy soil - need to do some serious research. Already made one mistake trying to establish a Queensland rainforest tree. A really beautiful tree, I hope I can save it. Happy gardening to you all! I'm so glad we gave an Aussie forum.
ozmantis
Horsham
Australia

September 23, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2751063

Horsham in western Victoria. I grow a lot of varieties of tomatoes as well as other vegies.
Web page is http://users.netconnect.com.au/~myrna
gardenlen
brisbane
Australia

October 2, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2779803

me i'm from south east qld, bayside suburb to the north of brissy.

we are being threatened with stage 4 water restrictions, but our plants get all our grey water as well as dishwashing & night water, we use lots of hay type mulches to minimise water loss in the gardens & around food trees.

we have installed a 24,500 litre rainwater tank, as well we have a 1,800 litre tank for back flushing our pool so we can re-use that water, also got some 220 litre blue plastiic drum to collect water from the unmanaged downpipes, thiw water will go to gardens, pool & clothes washing.

don't see why we should be restricted from watering food plants while good water is wasted flushing urine and the use washing mahines that don't re-use water for up to 3 wash loads in a row.

len

http://www.gardenlen.com/
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

October 4, 2006
11:04 AM

Post #2784211

I'm with you Len. I think it is because of the people that DON'T use water wisely that have not help the problem. Personally all my boys (and I must say that I am lucky to have had all boys) 'go' outside and we use ALL grey water for watering what plants we do have. We save as much water as possible and although our recently installed tank is much smaller than what you have installed, we still use this water for drinking, cooking and washing.

It's just a pity that things (the water levels) have got sooo bad before they (the higher powers) have realised (tooooo late) that there just isn't enough storage for peoples (increasing - due to higher population) use.
All areas (from the cities to the country) have grown - but have they taken that into account - I don't think so!!!
:-) Lee
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #2785799

When I moved to my present location I installed 3 poly tanks of various sizes even though town water is connected. Grey (shower water ) ends up in the garden through poly ag pipes underground . It is nowhere near expensive to do as some TV shows would have you believe and with a bit of forethought very simple. Any overflow from the tanks is also routed through the gardens before leaving the yard. Bottom right in the photo.
Its very comforting to know I have enough stored water to keep my gardens alive for 6 months if needed.
(1/2 acre, natives and ornamentals)
Holty...

Thumbnail by holty

gardenlen
brisbane
Australia

October 4, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2786242

g'day friends,

when i found this forum, i thought you beauty fantasamogirical, like winning lotto but then i quickly relaised that apart from this small section here the rest of the site is contributors only, and boy doesn't that limit the passing around of what might be termed intellectual information. so wondering what the purpose is if that is where this section will eventually be taken? like being exclusinve hey?

surely there is another way? as there are a lot of us who barely afford to pay for the internet (prices here in oz a very high by my reckoning), so any other outgoing just can't be borne.

suppose i'll be getting a big slap on the wrist for this post.

anyhow 'nuff for now.

len

tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

October 5, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2787054

Hello Aussie Green Thumbs,
May be a long shot but does any one have a Chinese Date (Jujube) growing?
I am needing advice on planting from seed. I had eight seeds now zero with zero success. I even tried pla
cing seed in food storage area of fridge for sixty to ninety days without success. I say with out success as there are still four seeds in pots which to my reckoning should have seen the light of day by now.

Thanks Bazza
gardenlen
brisbane
Australia

October 5, 2006
6:09 AM

Post #2787314

g'day bazza,

i don't know the plant you talk of but wonder if some of the tricks used to get natives to germinate might help. also i have had exotic fruit seeds take over a year to germinate, just how it is it seems. sometimes to keep moisture stable you mayn need to cover seed pot/try with clear glass sheet or plastic, then some need dark until they strike. some people put the seeds in peat moss and keep that moist until the germinate or sprout.

have you though of scarifying the seed ie.,. pour boiling water over them and let them sit and soak for 24 hours? or (depending on seed size) rub one side along some emery paper, shave some shell off one side with a blade cutter, all these are good with seeds that have very hard shells.

but sometimes you have to try different ways and just wait and wait.

let us know your results

len

http://www.gardenlen.com/
tropical3
townsville
Australia

October 7, 2006
7:16 AM

Post #2793338

To Gardenlen,
I am a brand newbie to this site and like you were in heaven to see so much information available to me and like you I was a little taken aback when I found out I needed to be a paying subscriber to be able to contribute to certain forums, but I am thankful that the oz forum is free, I certainly don't think I would be a member if there was a cost involved, I hope as you do that this will remain a forum that does not require a paid subscription but, and there is always a but, I understand that there is a cost involved in the management and upkeep of a site such as this one, perhaps we may get lucky, until then we can exchange "intellectual property" without a monetary hangover.
gardenlen
brisbane
Australia

October 10, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #2804241

g'day tropical13,

the potential is here but i relay think it could fizzle out.

the subscription thingy locks us who can't afford it out of sharing knowledge with others on other sections within this forum, and for them also they will be like an exclusive club just a few chatting to each other, that can be limiting on the broadening of knowledge and the sharing of knowledge.

i'll bide my time here for a bit but nothing much is happening to date.

probably if this section does take off then the pressure of fees will be bought to bare.

len
tropical3
townsville
Australia

October 10, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2804868

Hi Tulloch 52,
I live in Townsville and have a few of the fruit trees you mentioned, I have 2 questions if you can help, I have a seagrape that has been in the ground about 3 years, it is growing very well and is a very interesting and attractive tree, but can you tell me when I might expect fruit?
Secondly I would like to plant and ice cream bean but am sitting on the fence, can you tell me what the friut is like and what you do with it, do you eat it straight off the tree or have you used it cooking?
Thanks.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2006 4:08 AM
jay92
sydney
Australia

October 30, 2006
8:23 AM

Post #2864294

Hi all, a Sydneyite here - don't hold it against me. Am very into Queen of the Night plants and general patio plants. Has anyone every seen a Queen of the Day the picture is what that plant is. Would love to have some thoughts on it. Its blooms during the day and the leaves are different to the Queen of the Night.
Happy gardening

Thumbnail by jay92

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2006
7:21 PM

Post #3028639

Hi all, Alistair. Spend most of my DG time in the Brugmansia forum, but have been meanig to drop by here! Live near Nowra on NSW S coast.
saltbush
Glen Innes NSW
Australia

January 2, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3043758

I am on the northern tablelands of NSW - happy new year from a new member - found you just in time
can anyone tell me how I can find a porcelain berry climber - ampelopsis glandulosa
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

January 2, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3046332

I have the Aussie Plant Finder for 2002, and it lists a NSW nursery as selling two varieties of Ampelopsis glandulosa.
The nursery is:
Parr's Nursery,
1382 Bermagui Road,
Cobargo,
NSW 2550

Telephone: 02 6493 6795

and they are listed as including mail order, so although my book is out of date, it might be worth giving them a try,

Ken
Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

January 6, 2007
5:16 AM

Post #3057814

I got a surprise when I tried to post an answer to someone in another forum ,and found I had to be a paid subscriber ...I'm not sure if I'm 'allowed' to tell anyone here -- -- there is a really good gardening forum and discussions on a NZ site ; several Australian gardeners join in the discussions ,as well as contributors from America ,South Africa,England ,Belgium .Photos and stories of gardens - joys and sorrows...You might like to try 'Mooseyscountrygarden.com' and it could be what you are looking for , which is not available here. I write with name of Dixie.on it.
Emelle.
The rose is my Tamora

Thumbnail by Emelle

patb49
Darwin
Australia

January 11, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3073294

Hello All - I live in Darwin, so half the year is a wall of water and the other half is a drought! I was used to gardening in a small courtyard garden in Adelaide before coming here - so the contrast still amazes 8-) I miss roses and the cottage garden at times, but now I am more used to the tropics, I find my present garden a great pleasure.
ourtreechange
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #3130294

Hello all, we are in beautiful Mount Crosby - on the semi-rural western fringe of Brisbane city (Qld), so we on level 4 water restrictions.

Fortunately, being on acreage, we have on-site recycled water going to our 'ornamental' gardens, but that can't be used on anything edible or near our children's play area, so we are also having to bucket-water those plants and trees. (Truth be known, our kids actually love watering-can-watering!)

The state govt. is offering a 50/50 rebate on water-saving plants and mulches at the moment, so we topped up on sugar-can mulch bales whilst that is still on offer. Locally, we pay about $8 per bale and our gardens presently take over 17 bales just to top up - and we still haven't finished landscaping!

Does anyone know where (or how) you can order the really large 'rolls' of sugar cane mulch from in Brisbane?

TropicalNorth
Bambaroo
Australia
(Zone 11)

March 27, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3327116

Hello all,
I'm also up north of Townsville, in a little rural village south of Ingham. A special hello to my close neighbours Annette68 and Tropical3.
I check out the forums index to find those to which we unsubscribed can post. Look for those without the symbol (*) following the forum name. There are a few there and I suppose the experience is what we make of it.
However, it is a pity that the internet has been so colonised by commercial interests over the years, rather than the free exchange of knowlege and ideas which was an early ideal of the academic community.
tropical3
townsville
Australia

March 29, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3331707

Hi TropicalNorth,
great to hear from a fellow NQ'er, I love this site and the wealth of knowledge shared, I love to garden, I don't particuarly know what I'm doing all the time, but the commitment is there!;-)
Hope all is well south of Ingham, at the moment we are relishing an abundance of barbados cherry, tropical guava and the odd mulberry, yum!
khopton
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2007
6:04 AM

Post #3420512

Hi, I guess I'll represent SA!! From Adelaide. Just moved into a house and started the front garden. Sort of going for the cottage look with drought tolerant (of course) plantings. Anything that says Mediterranean or S. Africa are a big hit here. We're still on Level 3 restrictions surprisingly but are being threatened with level 4 or 5 if May doesn't bring rain. Such a worry but can't feel too sorry for myself when farmers are in far more serious strife. Anyway, would love to hear from anyone and everyone about how your gardens are tuffing it out and would love recommendations on tough, cottage plants!!!
cherylross
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3424248

Howdy, Great to hear from all the North Queenslanders, what a mad part of the world around Townsville et al. Variety of landuse is spectacular. I'm in the middle of Sydney now and hope somone can tip me off about my pumpkins - it all looks good til they go soft at the size in the pic. We're getting deluged with rain this week and wish we could spread it around. All the large containers are full and the garden is green, even a sort of lawn. I have a block beside the hose which is our backyard, there is access to the street and would love any tips about offerring my land to those around me to use for gardening.

Thumbnail by cherylross

khopton
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3469976

sounds like you're thinking about a community garden. What a wonderful idea! I think first thing is finding out who might be interested in having a patch of land to "play" with and then you'll know how many hands you'll have to get stuck into it. Good luck and here's to a happy, wet winter!!!
julesoz
Walcha NSW
Australia

May 7, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3473559

Hi there, new to this site. I am near Armidale NSW. :-)

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #3476467

Hi jules ,

Welcome .

Any rain lately ?
julesoz
Walcha NSW
Australia

May 9, 2007
4:31 AM

Post #3478270

Thanks Holty.. A few drops today. lol. But nothing to speak of.

Where are you based.?
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3488075

North Woodburn . If you are interested just type holtys into any seach engine . Google , Yahoo, MSN any one you use .

You must have got some rain over the last few days ?

John...

Me in the back yard

Thumbnail by holty

Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2007
9:00 AM

Post #3526203

Here am I in Adelaide, it's RAINING, It's RAINING! Sorry, got a little over excited. I moved into a new house in October last year, just in time for a very hot & nasty summer, so I am only now getting around to doing some serious garden work. When I moved in, the lovely heavy Adelaide clay soil was like concrete in the borders, and the back yard is wall to wall buffalo grass (YUCK!) The bones are there - I have a nice bottlebrush, a beautiful double hibiscus, a lovely dense melaleuca, a pear, a plum amd a big fig tree - all the rest is grass, except for a peculiar pseudo rockery up the back of the garden, which was bare earth until the rains started and is now hosting a luxurious carpet of soursobs (oxalis). O frabjous day!

Into this not very much-ness, I moved a large collection of potted bulbs, cacti, other succulents, and assorted odd xerophytes and caudiciforms (a good couple of thousand assorted plants) and I have spent the last six months trying to beat that lot into submission, relocating and shifting, re-potting and getting up at dawn to get enough water on to keep things alive for another week, before the 8am curfew. Thank goodness that is over, at least, I will post some pics later on as there is not much to see until the new transplants settle in and get going.

I would like to join with others in hoping that this forum will take off, and be well used. I have noticed that there has been some comment about the need to subscribe, in order to use all of the features of the website, and i too, felt this way at the beginning. After lurking for a while however, I tried out the trial sub ($5 for two months) and I am planning to renew for the year as I have certainly gotten my money's worth. After all $19.95 US is only about $25 australian and most annual magazine subscriptions cost more than that, and they don't give you the pleasure of interacting with so many genuinely nice people.

I am an invalid pensioner with a very small discretionary income after food and rent, and I find most of my spare money goes into my garden, in some form or another - I would much rather pay for DG than go out to the movies or buy a meal in a restaurant. I hope this will give others food for thought and I would be pleased if anyone here would like to visit my DG homepage.

http://davesgarden.com/members/Kaelkitty/ All the best for now, Jacq (AKA Kaelkitty)

PS: As a gardener of limited means I am very interested in exchanges and swaps - please feel free to contact me by d-mail if you would like to exchange plants or seeds. I am enclosing a photo of my Agave collection taken about 6 weeks ago. So far It is the only part of the garden that I am "happy" about, because everywhere else still needs major work, LOL! Thankyou.

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty

khopton
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3532307

Hello Kaelkitty again!! Glad to read more about your adventures!! And kudos for putting the subscription price into better perspective. I too have tried it for a couple of months and will most likely go ahead and join for the year. Really great info available and it's been great to have my mystery plants i.d.'ed so quickly and accurately!!

I'm more into cottage type gardening. I have a few succulents and of course I always look for drought tolerant plants too. Basically, if I like it, I'll find a way to acquire it. I'm patient and can buy the small seedling version instead of the more mature, instant gratification thing.

I found a few great plant sales at open gardens this autumn. Worth going to!! Hope to hit more this spring.

I'll check out your homepage and once again - WELCOME!!!
Halmy
Budapest
Hungary

May 25, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3534556

I am from Hungary.

A Country from Central- Europa.

Live in in the Capitol :Budapest.

Have two gardens in a 50 km cirlce from Budapest.

Am an enthusiastic fun of australian,hungarian flora and mediterran plants.

Could chat about plants of Hungary,Australia..etc.

Replies are welcome.

BRGRDS,

Peter Halmy
khopton
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3536110

Hi Peter and welcome. What kind of Australian plants do well in Budapest?? Do you have a meditteranean climate? Sounds like it. Post photos of your gardens if you can. An Australian garden in Hungary would be fun to see!
mazda87
Traralgon
Australia

September 18, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3988637

I am new to this site - from Traralgon area - Gippsland, Victoria Australia. I am passionate about Aussie plants and have grown nothing but (excluding fruit trees and vegie patch!) in the last thirty years. We have had a good year re rainfall (unlike some - poor gardeners in some areas) however natives are a great choice to conserve water. My block is 2770 sq metres of sandy loam - some untouched endemic plants and most planted with a range of other natives - and it does take a bit of work. I came across this site as someone was wanting a photo of Grevillea "Sylvia" and I was able to oblige.

Thumbnail by mazda87

mazda87
Traralgon
Australia

September 18, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3988728

A quick follow-up. The photo I submitted may have been misleading - it is one of the many other Grevillea hybrids, not Grevillea "Sylvia". This image is of Sylvia taken yesterday. It is a superb plant.

Thumbnail by mazda87

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #3990380

mazda87,
Welcome to Dave's Garden! I live very near to you, in Churchill. Yes hasn't the rainfall been great for once. I grow a lot os Australian plants as well, but I have a lot of others as well, but the Australians do cope much better with the conditions we have had for the last ten years,

Kennedy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 18, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3990457

Nice to see this pop up again...hi to everyone...m ...I like your grevillias ...I grow some too as well as all different kinds of things
I live in Luddenham NSW and our very heavy clay does produce amazing results if you work at it...I am in a Market gardening area and Luddenham is known for it's strawberries and christmas tree farms...also horse breeding and equestrian stuff (a lot of problems at the moment with the horses around here in "lockdown"
We have just been told that the water restrictions are here to stay
...it is going to be anothe interesting Summer!
Come on... any shy lurkers out there come on in...:)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 24, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #4010312

Oh well, anyone recent on the aussie forums already knows about us Chrissy, we're the serial DG girls!
I'm from sunny Coffs Harbour, (just north actually) and have interests varying from tropicals, to succulents, to cottage garden and vege plants. Not yet ready to embark on the native plant route yet, but studying horticulture at Tafe and learning a few native plant names/IDs along the way.
I also love photography and dogs, and really like visual and sensory stimulation in the garden! (and in the discussion forums, although not alot of sniffing going on)
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4010471

ha ha ha Sue you are so M'c Clouds Daughters !...you are just a chicken! nice to see your happy face...you are having fun ...and the puppies too!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 24, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #4010474

Hello all and it's great to read all the new posts.
I am posting a pic of one of my epiphyllums for jay92. It looks very similar. I too have the Queen of the Night epi. I bought a small piece as a trial and after about 10 mnths now have a large basket full of giant hanging leaves. I am hoping for first flowers this season. I also have 2 other pots of pieces that fell off when I moved the mother plant. They are showing new growth already. Talk about grow fast. Says a lot for epis and their hardiness because it sure has been cold here in western Victoria so far.
Yesterday was so hot I was just in shirtsleeves (and pants of course) Today we are in by the fire. Typical weather for here.
I hope this forum does keep going as it is really all about gardening and plants for us here in OZ. Free too, although , I may take up a subscription if it only small. I too am on a limited income. It can be frustrating. I do a lot of my genealogy online and find the same problem. Everyone wants money these days. Hooray for DG.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4010487

Good on you 77 ...nice to see the activity here too although we seem to have lost some poor QLD folk for now... due to the terrible damage caused by the "freeze"...hoping they will be back when the plants recover...Just in case you are lurking any shy ozzy people you don't need pretty ...perfect plants to come in and chat...come and talk with us! :)

Picture of my edible sage ...I love it!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 26, 2007
10:44 AM

Post #4018329

Hello Everyone, Some will know me a little as I have done some VERY successful trades. I have been estatic with the plants I have received and I hope people are happy with what they received in return.
I am a widow and have two children and 4 G/Children.

I would just like to say to those who think that subscription is to high that you do not know what you are missing. I would also like to add that I am a cancer survivor and have to manage all bills including rent on my own. I just went without some things for two weeks and that paid my membership. It is the best investment I have ever made. I can't even get a credit card but I joined PayPal and paid that way.

I love this site AND the people here (and from oversea's) are such wonderful, knowledgable and sincere people, talking to them keep me sane when I feel lonely.
Thanks Everyone,

Debi

P.S. I am sorry I forgot to tell you where I live, lol. I live about half an hour from Brisbane in a place called Ipswich, Queensland. lol.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2007 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by Degarotty

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #4019958

G'day mate...Yep you are so right...love the site ...love the people
so nice to meet you :)even if you call me names*giggling* in the other forums!.
Since you read the other forums you know all about me already...nice to know about you...you do it hard with a smile ...no need to feel alone...ever!
Sending a big hug !
chrissy :^)
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 27, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #4021400

Thanks Chrissy,
I never make fun in a nasty way, that's not me. So, I am truly glad that you have worked me out!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I would take the p**s out of me before anyone else, mate.

True friends are hard to find and I feel like I have made some friends here.
All in positive digs and you are welcome to have a dig back, he he he, I miss laughter so it is probably my way of having a laugh with you, not at you.

Love Debi
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #4021832

Hello people. We are being blown away again here today. No rain, though it does look black on the horizon.
Great to read about you Debi. i'm so glad you are positive about life. Been down the same track but was lucky to find a new man 7 yrs ago. He makes up for the previous woes. He even washes dishes, and likes doing it too.
Keep gardening. It can be healing as well as relaxing. I'm with chrissy in sending hugs.
It is so great to find like minded people here to chat to.
I love my gardening but being in a rural area there aren't many people to talk tp and they are not mad plant people like those on DG.
I have just been planting out a few more seeds . Why !!! I had them and had to plant them . I don't know what I'll do with them all if they grow. There were some bottlebrush. wattle and maple seeds.
I have also planted out a lot of mixed canna seeds and yellow clivia seeds. I will have lots to trade later.
This area was the centre of the merino sheep farming for the early settlers and it must have been a beautiful area once. There are still pockets of the original old red gums dotted around but there was way too much clearing done. Some of the existing trees are so gnarled and have personalities of their own.
I take photos when we go out so I can paint them. Posting a painting I did of the Glenelg River just near here. It has some lovely trees along the banks.
Am going to finish a painting now and then plant a few more irises.
Happygardening all.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
7:37 AM

Post #4022112

Wow 77 that painting is wonderful and you live in a very historic place like me...and like me are garden mad... while the folks around me grow just veggies (don't get me wrong that is great!) but they would think me nuts to see stuff you grow for your soul... and not just to make a quid or to eat...Why can't we have the best of both worlds?
All around me are stud farms ...pony clubs and the Luddenham showground...they still have blue ribbons for various veg...flowers and knitting crochet and ...cooking. Real old fashioned country stuff
I love it!...I don't mind being alone a lot...have always enjoyed pottering reading...music...good books and good music...a radio going in every room...now some good mates on the computer thingy (computer...only started less than two years ago)
I would give much to be an artist...(I am a little artistic...used to do beaten copperwork and handpainted feature tiles ...but that all went out of fashion so I forgot all about it till now...)
Well it's very warm here still... and it is dinner time soon so catch up later

chrissy ;)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 27, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #4022389

I know what you mean about it being lonely on property. I have neighbours relatively close by, but I'm lucky (or unlucky as the case may be) to see them once a month. Luckily for me in my work I talk to at least 4 people a day, and work in their gardens, so see different plants every day too. But I'm always on the lookout for those kindred souls. DG is good for that, but also my classmates at Tafe. We talk gobbledygook and botanical names at each other and sound really intelligent!
Sue
Oh Jean, your painting is gorgeous! Almost as gorgeous as all the new babies I've got! Thanks! , and Chrissy, you should see all the treasures sunset has bestowed upon me. I will be posting a pic very soon! Also, I just inherited a whole heap of copper and all the paraphenalia that goes with it, so might have a go at copper work myself one day!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #4022548

ha ha ha remember the 70's when it was all the rage? I used to do Egyptian stuff mainly ...and zodiac signs...big wall hangings in beaten copper...oooooh babies whoopee heh?...I might have a bit of a go again myself...my grandaughters work has toured the country...lino cuts...she was chosen for her HSC artwork by Art Express...a set of 6 works

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 27, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #4022950

Wow Chrissy,

You must be very proud of your beautiful G/Daughter...

She is a very talented young lady, hey.
Thanks for sharing her work, great stuff.

Debi

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #4024162

Oh Debi I am a proud Nanna...sorry about the boast...can't help myself when it comes to my grandchildren of course...like all nannas...listen Debi I am posting some stuff off tomorrow ...would you like some snail creeper seeds and some bits...a welcome present?...if you do just D mail me and I will get them off to you...I have to go out today I am preparing for a huge family gathering over the long weekend...but I will get back later...have a great day in the garden everyone...gonna hit 30 where I am ...so time to finish the Spring thing here I guess.:)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #4024179

Oops after a cup of coffee I realized it is Friday ...so being a long weekend here...it will be Tuesday...sorry everyone guess that really was a nanna moment *blushing*
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #4024519

Good morning everyone. If anyone is there yet. I tend to be a very early riser. When it's daylight I'm up. I adjust very easily to daylight saving when it comes in.
What a lovely pic chrissy. The work is really lovely, so is your granddaughter.
So glad you liked the babies weed_woman. They will love the warm weather. It has been raining here. All day yesterday , we had WIND along with the rain. My greenhouse is still here. Luckily we did anchor it well or it may have gone on a trip. It is only a plastic one over a light metal frame but will be great for all my seeds etc.
Glad you like the painting. It is one of the lot I have in the Art Show coming up soon. The sun has just come out but I can hear thunder around. I hope we don't get any storms. The rain and wind we have been having has been along with sudden squalls which are not very nice to be out in.
Isn't it always the way too, just when lovely flowers come out, down comes the rain and lays them flat. All my Sparaxsis are horizontal now. The babianas are not bad as they are on shorter stems. I have some beautiful burgundy ones with the usual purple. This thunder is getting closer so I may have to turn off the computer. Happy gardening all
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2007
6:03 AM

Post #4025909

Hello everyone,

I live in Melton South, a small town on the fringes of total country. It is a nice little town and we live in a nice neighborhood. I have not done any gardening here yet other than buy a few plants. I have a nice bed out front with stones around it but right now it is covered in lavender and it has totally taken over the bed. I plan to get DH to get me to pull most of it up so that I can plant some pretty flowers there. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice little flower garden? I am new here, only been here for 3 months so I am not really familiar with the flowers here and do not know what to plant. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Jesse

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2007
7:48 AM

Post #4025969

Oh first of all hi Jesse...welcome to our happy place...I know you will make friends here...I will come back later on your request...I am expecting visitors and have to be quick...

77 ...oh my goodness you are generous to a fault!...what can I say other than a very big thankyou and I hope you will like what I send you...
Next thing you know I will be a succulent person!!!! bought one today..so I am starting to collect...you have given me such a great start thanks again mate! back later...after visitors have gone...:)
chrissy :))))))))
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 28, 2007
9:22 AM

Post #4026009

Did you check out my trade list to see if you liked anything, I have added some more plants.

Catch Ya soon,

Debi
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 28, 2007
9:24 AM

Post #4026010

Welcome Plantcrazii,

There are soooooooo many wonderful people here it's incredible!

What's your plant preferences????

Debi
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2007
4:45 AM

Post #4029613

I have had the hardest time finding the right kind of soil for different kind of plants. I finally did find some soil for containers and some for succulents and cactus but I cannot find anything for African violets. What I used to do was to mix two thirds perlite with one third African violet soil. But I cannot find either of those so what would you all recommend? I only have 4 little plants at the moment because of not having any money because we just had to pay customs $2400 to get my stuff that we had shipped over here. Then we have to file for my permanent residence visa which will be $2100 which we will do on Tuesday I think, but then we will be able to breathe a lot easier. I know that we will eventually be able to buy some nice plants and put them in containers and put them on the front porch. Is that what that is called? I have never seen a porch that big and I am not sure what it is called. Anyone know the official name for it or is it just a porch? Anyway, if anyone knows what I can use for the Africa violets, please let me know. Thanks so much.

Jesse
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 29, 2007
5:07 AM

Post #4029643

Hi Jesse,
Please have a look at my plant trade list of what I have and let me know if like any and I will post some down to you, to Welcome you to Australia!

If African Violets like well drained soil, I would pot them in Cacti & Succulent mix.
The brand I use will good success is "Debco" Cacti & Succulent Potting Mix.

I hope that helps...

A new friend,

Debi
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 29, 2007
11:02 AM

Post #4029874

Hi Jesse, see if you can find a produce store near you, that sells stock feed e.t.c. They usually carry bagged soil mixes, pearlite and vermiculite as well as many other things interesting to us gardeners, and usually at a better price than Bunnings or other big department stores.
Veranda is a good name for a porch, or a deck if its made from timber planks, but we all know what you mean when you say porch! And I'm an ex-kiwi, and still understand!
Most of the Australian garden magazines are based on the Melbourne climate, so would give you some good ideas of whats in and whats not (in the plant world) And depending on water restrictions, you should be able to grow almost anything. Which direction does your porch face? and is it protected from wind and rain?
Sue
khopton
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4034886

Hi Plantcrazii, welcome!! I'm an ex-pat myself - from the US. I grew up in Chicago but spent the last eight years in Dallas which is where I picked up most of my gardening skills. Where are you from?? Might be worth looking for a local gardening club both to learn more about your local gardening conditions as well as meeting new friends!

As for your violets; I know Bunnings sell small bags of African Violet mix which might be all you need -that is, if there is a Bunnings near you. If not, Sue is right - find your local feed store or a CRT (I think that's what it's called) aka: Country Rural Trader store. If you have to make it up yourself, I would use a premium general potting mix and add perlite or washed sand for extra draining ability. I think succulent mix is too free draining unless you can add a bit of peat to it. Good luck!!!

Good luck with your visa also. I got mine before moving and it took about six months and lots of $$$ and I basically downloaded all the forms from government websites!!
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2007
5:36 AM

Post #4039562

I just got back from filing my paperwork for the visa and we happened to get lucky. There was a lady there that handled walk-ins and she did our interview and she was great. She did not care about all the petty details like the paperwork said. All we have to do is get my health assessment done and get a couple other papers for her and I will be well on my way to getting my Visa. We were really blessed with getting her.

Jesse
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

October 2, 2007
10:41 AM

Post #4039742

Great to hear, Plantcrazii.

I also want to tell you just how generous I also think you are. I recieved a wonderful surprise package and it was full of wonderful healthy plants.
I am so very grateful for your generosity...

Thank You,
Debi
P.S. This only a few of them...WoW!

Thumbnail by Degarotty

khopton
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #4046082

Hi Plantcrazii,

Wow, you really were blessed!! I guess you were meant to be here!! Congrats!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 4, 2007
6:16 AM

Post #4047161

No problems Debi, I like to share and the little fellas will do better up there.
Just come in from shopping all day and there has been rain and wind again so I'd better go and check everything .
Happy gardening all.
weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

December 3, 2007
6:29 AM

Post #4256305

Hello everyone, I have found this all so interesting, I feel as though I know 77sunset and Chrissy, through their gardens etc,.
I live in Cockatoo, edge of the Dandenong Ranges, and have a 1/2 acre of garden. I had to clear some trees, to get some sort of light in to plant anything much. I have a natural fernery, but it has suffered badly in the drought. Have now installed tanks, so should manage to get it back the way it was - hopefully.
I lost a few treeferns, its really strange, I have some at the back of the house, facing west, in full sun, they get all the hot afternoon sun, and they are growing like weeds, yet the ones in lovely deep soil, lots more water, have struggled. maybe I should be more ruthless and threaten them instead of cosseting them. It works with the car when it plays up LOL
I have just spent the afternoon sitting here at the PC as we have received 30ml of rain in about 30 minutes.!!!! Its wonderful!!!!! tanks are overflowing, and the roses have taken a battering, but some deadheading will soon bring them back with new flowers.
I have included a picture of my favourite rose, "Albertine", growing over my dear little garden shed my DH Joe built for me.
He couldn't understand why I didn't want it painted, and cleaned up, he doesn't understand "old" and "rustic". Anyway, this is one year after the rose was ripped apart by a falling tree. My garden has been flattened (and on two occasions, part of the house) by nine trees over the years, that have fallen from our neighbor's place.
Amazingly the shed was spared...
As you can see I have a tendency to ramble on a bit, just like parts of my garden...

Thumbnail by weedsandall

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 3, 2007
7:35 AM

Post #4256349

Hi weedsandall, we love ramblers! Roses and poeple! LOL Welcome to the forum.
Sue

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 3, 2007
11:54 AM

Post #4256477

Hi weedsandall! :) ...how lovely that you have popped in to say hello I wish more "lurkers" wouldn't be so shy
Welcome!
I love your Albertine ...meet my Lamarque ...this was taken before all the rain ...here it is romping away with a Tango Supreme boge
the perfume is from this lovely rose is heavenly ...tell us a bit more about your garden ...I am so glad you got some rain I hope that means 77 did too, what great news :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 3, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #4258038

Good morning to you all. Hello weedsandall. I used to love Cockatoo as a child. My parents used to rent a house up there for the Christmas holidays. That was back in the old days when it was a cheap way to holiday away. I remember us being caught in a bushfire. There was fire everywhere. It was frightening and I have never remembered how we eventually got out .
It's great to hear that some of you had rain. Melbourne apparently got mine. We had about 10 drops or maybe it was 12. There is none on the horizon for our area and the forecast is for up in the 30s on Thursday.
Just the day I have to go out . I am going to pick up, yes, more iris. Also some dahlias from the botanical gardens in Portland, which is about an hours drive. The gardens have huge dahlia beds and sell off their excess after planting.
Today is windy again and cold enought o wear a jumper. i love your roses chrissy. I have 2 climbers at the front over archways. One is Gold Bunny, a lovely yellow and the other which does really well is Bantry Bay, a gorgeous pink. I also have 2 white Icebergs which grow a bit more sparsely but still look good mixed with a jasmine.
Picture of my newest baby. This one is orange and bright purple striped . Doesn't show up well in photo but really beautiful.
Have a happy day everyone.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 3, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #4258202

Hi 77 and all ...gee you didn't get the rain I am so sorry:( and so soaked! with still more to come! seems a bit unfair to me. It is confusing ...hard to imagine that while we are soggy you still have the drought ...gosh I was hoping it mean't the drought was over.
Blowing the rain towards you (((((((((((
garden4grace
Bendigo
Australia

December 8, 2007
3:53 AM

Post #4273368

Well, hello to all the regulars. and esp. hello to Plantcrazii,
I've been away from the PC potting up cactus and succulents that we were given end of October and we are still going!! did a couple more today and then took photos to catalogue them all. Then the battery on the camera died which has given me time to browse through the journal entries here. I'm with Debi, great lot of people here and hopefully we can all meet sometime as we get the chance to more around this great country. Plantcrazii, we are just up the road from you, so to speak. In Central Victoria. tell us how your gardening is coming along. best way to see what will grow there is to take a walk around the neighbourhood, esp with camera in hand. most people happy to share their knowledge if you show an interest. we have unexpectedly recieved many bulbs, cuttings and seeds by stopping to chat or knocking on the door to ask if we could take a picture. Happy to share some of our collection of succulents with you.
pity the rain is such a distant memory but we are changing our gardens to suit the dry and luckily for me with 20 years in South Australia, I know some pretty good plants that can tolerate less moisture.
I'm now on the lookout for geraniums, esp. named varieties, so will do a google to see if there are specialist growers so I can get a list and prices . if anyone knows of a good grower could they let me know ?? thanks in advance.
Tropical 3 mentioned a restriction of knowledge base from this forum, what I have done is join a forum which specialises in my particular interest and sign up for their newsletter. that way the information comes through daily, in my case, and is very specific . no chit chat just pure information which I can copy and paste for reference or delete as the case may be.
This Aussie forum though is very friendly, "share the moment and enjoy " while helping others who may be new to gardening to enjoy their gardening experiences and swaps.
speaking of which, thanks to those whose plants I now have a share of and those who have swaps from my garden I hope that they are thriving also.
Must go have a look outside and see if anything needs some extra shade. also some cactus flowers about to burst forth and they can come and go within a couple of hours so I'd better get out there..
cheers for now, Lois
shellyto4kids
melbourne
Australia

December 8, 2007
5:34 AM

Post #4273629

Hi, i am shelly and have only found this site a week or so ago. i am loving it and cannot believe the welcome packages that have come my way from 77sunset and chrissy100. they are truley special people.

i have just started gardening in the last 3 months... and i am totally addicted! i am doing a cottagy garden but with lots of natives as well.

garden4grace - i love geraniums too and have a lot growing at the moment from cuttings. i found this fabulous site the other night that is australian.. its has 100's of geranium cuttings for sale ... http://www.ozgeraniums.com.au - have fun picking! i was totally amazed at the variety of geraniums.

i live about an hour from you garden4grace - in the middle of Bendigo and Melbourne on the great dividing range... near Kilmore.

shelly xx

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 8, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #4275246

hello Shelly and Lois and anyone else here this morning. I just had a look at those geraniums on the hyperlink and being me, had to buy some. I like the staphs and have been wanting to get some for ages.
I have lots of geraniums here now but no names.
Today is the usual weather for here. Cool this morning but it will most likely warm up by lunchtime, then cool off again around 4pm. Still no rain about and the fire season has started here with a fire not too far away. It has been a fantastic year for the grass so will not be a good summer with the fire danger high.
Chrissy, if you are anywhere, please , please send us some of your rain. I would not even mind the mud. I haven't seen mud for a long time.
I am thinking about a redo of parts of the garden that are drier. The cottage style, I do like, but I may add a bit more in the geranium area plus a few more taller shrubs.
I must get out and take some photos now as I have more epiphyllums out.
Have a great day everyone. .

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 8, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4275259

I am wishing as hard as I can ...that you all get some rain!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2007
8:50 AM

Post #4276671

Hello all on.
Chrissy, I had to pop in to tell you, we had RAIN. It must have rained for at least 4 minutes. Ha Ha Ha. The wind came up very strong and must have blown it all back to you. Blow harder next time you try to send some down.
I have been cutting back geraniums. they went mad this year and are looking a bit shabby now. I smell like a geranium , should go and wash or my tea will taste like geranium.
Must go as my favorite shows are on. Star Trek. Love it.
Happy day all.
Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

December 17, 2007
8:26 AM

Post #4303170

Hello from NZ-i haven't called in for a while,so have just been catching up.
A special hello to weeds'n all..My absolute favourite rose is Albertine-with my last pay 5 years ago,I bought two to join one I already had and they have now reached the full length of the fence.This has been a fabulous season for them.the wire is an electric one to stop the cattle from munching the roses.
Best wishes to everyone
Emelle.

Thumbnail by Emelle

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 18, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #4306450

Hi E I love your pretty roses! ...I have lots of them however because of the constant rain it is most difficult to get a decent pic of any at the moment ...I bet they grow beautifully for you in your lovely Country :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

December 28, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #4335955

Thanks everyone, for your welcome, have been so busy lately, have been putting protection screens around the blackbirds nests, as the currawongs are trying to get the babies. YES!! I do protect my blackbirds, everyone else I know destroys their nests, and my next door neighbor traps them, then takes then over the road to have them killed, he can't do it himself. He couldn't understand when I got upset about this and had a go at him...Why do people regard them as vermin?? their singing in the morning is beautiful, they are a lovely touch of England in my garden, and keep the bugs down.

now the miner birds!!!!! Grrrr!! thats another story!!!! maybe I could encourage my neighbor to trap them instead.

I was going to put up photos of my garden, but will try to figure out how to put the link to my garden photos in yahoo flickr and you can see more of it.

There are also photos of the David Austin nursery that I visited in England that will make you just drool...

We just had the 9th tree from our neighbor's place fall on our garden. nearly 40 metres tall tree. He only had two left now, so hopefully I will only face this twice more. It can be so depressing to see all the smashed plants and trees here, and have to start yet again to rebuild. Fortunately only two have fallen on the house, so I should count my blessings, but its a real pain and becomes a very expensive excercise when insurance companies don't recognise plants as worth paying out on...I now get very nervous about my own trees when its windy. Must go and water the plants on my deck, we're having a real heatwave at the moment.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that Santa was very kind and generous to you all.
Will go now and have a play with this flickr link

Margaret

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 6:27 PM
Emelle
Morrinsville ~Waikat
New Zealand

January 1, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #4348281

Would you let us know your flickr link,please,Margaret,as I would love to have a look-especially the Austin roses which are so special I think.
My daughter lives and works in Melbourne in the field of mental health-we visited a couple of years ago and went on some wonderful bus trips around your way-the Dandenongs are gorgeous-wouldn't you know-our trip up the gt Ocean road was on the only day it poured with rain-many passengers just stayed on the bus,it was so wet!
I hope you are getting rain to help with your garden-It is hard to believe that anyone could want to kill the blackbirds-how Ignorant they are ,as blackbirds are wonderful in the garden.My daughter's neighbours smile at her when she feeds the birds,but she appreciates them.
A recent photo of my NZ garden.the white rose in the centre is Sparkler,and the pink roses on the left are Sharif Asma and Mary Rose.
Best wishes to Aussie cuzzies,

Emelle

Thumbnail by Emelle

Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

January 4, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #4359133

Just saying hello and finding my way around. I am on 5 acres in the Dandenongs Vic. . How's Cocatoo? weedsandall. That was great rain we had a week ago wonder when the next lot will arrive.

Regards
Gecki

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 4:19 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 4, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4360528

Hi everyone lovely to see some new faces (gardens) :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 5, 2008
7:37 AM

Post #4362701

Hi Gecki (is that the plural for gecko?) LOL. Welcome to the forum, please look around and butt in when you feel inspired. We love pickies too. Do you have a camera?
Sue
Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

January 5, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #4362864

No Gecki is the cat :) or one of them. Camera is happening shortly. The kids have them but hard to get hold of them so am aiming for my own digital. I have an old SLR I haven't used for ever. Thanks for the welcome nice and informal here.
Liz

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 5, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4364087

Hi Liz ...I had no camera for ages,so had to do a lot of yakking, but everyone was so helpful and encouraged me to try (no camera experience) but now they can't stop me I love it! warning addictive!
I have been looking at your description of your garden ...lots of that sounds very familiar :)
informal you bet!
fun ? you bet!
great gardeners ? you bet!
Welcoming new faces yes please!
Shy lurkers come in please ...new gardeners or experienced ones we want you here ...only qualification ? love of garden.
chrissy :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 5, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #4364475

Hello chrissyand Sue. welcome from me too Liz. I had a really warm welcome when I arrived her.
I can tell you that it is one of the most interesting places to visit. These ladies ( and men) are so helpful and encouraging.
I hope you are not getting too wrinkled in the wet ,chrissy.
How much rain is enough ? your plants will definitely need water wings.
A garden on a raft, now there's a novel thought. it's cloudy here but still warm. A sad thing to say , but good bushfire weather. My epis love the heat, my ferns do not. My little Brug likes it too.
Liz, chrissy is right about the camera. It is addictive. How easy to take all the pics you want and just delete for a fresh lot.
Our camera came with computer etc in one lot. Took a bit of working out as I had never used digital before. I still don't know what half the buttons are for but I don't need them anyway.
pic is one of the babies from the large mother who died . owner gave me babies ,10 of them.. I've cut them off mum and put on poly with fishing line. all doing well. Goodness knows where I'll put them when they grow.
Have to go and throw water around again. Pot plants do dry out quickly in this weather.
Happy day all.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

January 5, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #4364937

Thanks for the welcome ladies. Re the watering I can highly recommend MULCHING big time. Has saved my garden for the last 10 yrs. I am lucky to have a free source of woodshavings and I also use this for my animal bedding such as geese and chooks and the dog run. Makes great soil conditioner when it breaks down. I just add a bit of blood and bone to plants before applying it. Helps with the nitrogen cycle. Straw and newspaper shredded and of course wood chips if you can afford them.

Liz

This message was edited Jan 5, 2008 7:30 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #4365975

Yep you are one of us!
ha ha ha 77 do you chuck the banana skins in behind the plants?
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 6, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4366070

Hello all. Yes chrissy, I throw banana skins around my roses and the occasional bit in the elks and stags. Adds potassium.
Liz , I'm coming to steal your mulch. It is so expensive up here to buy any mulch and besides, I'd need a tip truck full. I use plants instead. If I cover the area with plants, there's no room for weeds. works too.
Except for the horror area. I have a corner of the paddock garden where nothing will grow or if it does grow it never thrives.
Could it be something to do with never any water in that area. HaHa.
Seriously, this is an area that is on the side of our slope , faces south and east , is beyond the weeping willow and just grows weeds and those b*** thistles. I have tried all sorts of plants and you can still see the poor little things hanging on by the skin of their teeth. In desperation, I thought I'd fill it with trees. Ha !! again. Have you ever seen dwarf melaleucas and oleanders ? Don't even think oleander. I have seen them grow into giants with no water or care. I have some 7 yrs old that are still 2' high. Sob Sob. I like oleanders.
Maybe I should take all the trees and bonsai them.
What can I plant in this space ????
The sun is coming out and I have a few little parcels to pack Bye all
Jean.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 6, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #4366149

Hello everyone!
I don't live in Australia, but would you adopt me please?!!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #4366285

Ha ha ha oh t of course we will :)
chrissy
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 6, 2008
5:48 AM

Post #4366345

If you can cook and clean, I'll adopt you! I have two spare rooms abd lots of garden to ply in! That goes for any of you out there!
Jean, why not try a xeriscape garden with cacti and Yukkas and such, although it would cop frost too eh? Have you done a pH test? Maybe a rockery, or get a load of soil and mulch and plant more Iris!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 6, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #4366362

Thankyou!!!!!!!
Sue, do I have to cook and clean? 2 jobs I hate doing most!!!!!!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 6, 2008
6:05 AM

Post #4366384

Snap! I HAAAAATTTEEE house work and cooking, (but I like a clean house and eating!)
I think I'll have to advertise for a wife. LOL
Sue
Bunch of fungus for you

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 6, 2008
6:10 AM

Post #4366391

or maybe a houseboy!!!!!!!!!!!!

strange mushrooms in your plant pot, do you want me to cook them for you?!
Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

January 6, 2008
6:23 AM

Post #4366419

Hello TerriC this is a nice warm comfy chat place and they are great company I have just come in as well so welcome. Jean just be very careful handling oleander VERY poisonous to fatal. Animals chewing it will turn toes up. Should not burn any off cuts and wash hands well after handling it. It is a great plant. Saw some lovely mop top trees made out of them along the foreshore of Lake Como when I was visiting my mum years ago in Switzerland. I have been tempted but given my maurauding herd around here it may well end up as dinner.

Xeriscaping would be an option. There must be some suitable plants. Are you upto digging out some pockets in the not so good soil and putting good stuff in to start some young natives. You could use some root guard to create a bottomless pot with about a 2 foot diameter so your good soil and water does not nick off down the slope. Add some of those water crystals and you might have a chance to get something going. If using natives don't overfertilise just good soil with some compost should be good. For watering get the lemonade bottle or plastic milk carton and sink it well in near the roots and cut the top out so you can insert a watering can or hose to keep the water source full. The neck end is buried in the ground. I think Peter Cundal on the Abc was showing this old method we used years ago but he was sort of hiding them so it did not look like a bottle yard.

http://www.yougrowgirl.com/garden/dripsystem.php

Liz
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 6, 2008
6:37 AM

Post #4366442

No TC. I picked some field mushrooms a couple of weeks ago that I swear were all good, but when I cooked them, there was a strange smell, so I turfed them out! I'd love a houseboy, but DH wouldn't allow it! (no fair) I'd like a swedish one that could do massage! (oh yeah and house work and cooking) but mostly... massage! He he.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 6, 2008
6:38 AM

Post #4366445

good advice Liz. You know how to do the link fing! It took me ages to learn that (and Chrissy even longer LOL)
Sue
Purple Basil

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

January 6, 2008
10:20 AM

Post #4366632

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 7:02 AM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 6, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #4366638

Thankyou for the welcome Gecki!
I don't know how to do the link fing yet, maybe this year I will learn how to!
Swedish houseboy eh? I'd like a dutch one, myself, I believe they are great floral designers!
same problem here, the DH won't approve the appointment ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #4366744

Ok the link thing ...go to the address at the top of the page you wish to send a link of ...right click and it will then say cut or copy click onto that and it will save it for you. when you are ready to show the link in your thread just click onto the edit button up there next to file at the top of your page that will say paste just click and Bob's your Uncle!
Come on be brave! ginger showed me how to do that ...I wonder where he went?.
Bike not me! That must be Sue ...me? no way.Not my bag.
yes it is true ...the cyber/camera and all things modern are fairly new to me ...but I hope that I am making up for lost time, still lots to learn though, but it sure is fun!
Night everyone it is my bedtime midnight
chrissy
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 6, 2008
11:41 AM

Post #4501677

Good evening folks. I have been having fun getting lost then side tracked and ending up far from my destination. Thought I could check
out last nights peoples as they sounded so friendly. Alas it's 11.30 and ive only just got here. Am very new to this computor lark so will
take a while to catch on. Loved the fungus photo, they are so delicate and pretty and here for such a short time. I always have to grab the camera for visual memory of them.I do have one small claim to your Australian forum , I grow Aussie orchids have done for about twenty years.Used to do it very well, a lot of them have become a bit heavy duty but when they flower I'm reminded all over again why I love them
so much. I have only lived here in Gisborne for 12 months, prior to this I lived at East Cape, [first place in the world to see the sun ]
Well actually inland behind some quite high hills and not too far from Mt Hikurangi, on the coast it was quite sub tropical, over the hill we got hot dry windy and either not enough or too much water. Winter very cold black frosts and rain rain and more rain. Many of the things I grew up there with great difficulty and stubborn perseverance are now thriving in their new temperate climate. Lack of room is now giving me new challenges. Oh well keeps my mind active at night. On that note I must away. Will try to find my way back tomorrow.
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #4501887

Howdy cuz. A Kiwi is as good as an Ozi, except when the union is on. We share a common foe in the English & all. Hope you make it back.
Is that an artichoke flower Sue, or a cardoon? You've done well to let the thing bloom without eating it. I doubt any of mine will get that far.
Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

February 7, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4505122

Is'nt NZ 8th state?? :))))

It's actually raining Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awchid
The orchids you grow are they tiny fragile pink ones??? There are lots up in the bush by the bus stop at the moment.

We have a Gisborne down here too a bit smaller than yours I think but a nice town. Part of a tourist and wine growing region.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Victoria/Gisborne/2005/02/17/1108500206473.html
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 7, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #4505385

Hi Gecki yeah I've heard that re reference to 8th state. I do know we are just over the ditch so not far away eh.
The little pink ones and also cross pollinated ones ,they come in a variety of shapes and colours. Most are manageable
some get carried away and are abit heavy to handle, they are also very forgiving and if I don't keep up my side of the partnership
they still do their bit with a lovely show of flowers in Sept - October - Nov and each plants flowers last 3-4+ weeks. I would love to see them in a bush setting. Mind you mine get hung up in my trees. Family object to this quite vocally usually when they've just been donged
on the head while mowing my lawn . Don't know whats their problem Iwas taller than most of them for years and years, didnt
bother me I just had to duck. Our Gisborne sounds a bit like yours . Tourists wine agriculture and farming . Yours is probably
on a larger scale. In the 1800's my great grand parents came from Australia and settled here in Gissy, my daughter lives here
and ihave moved here. Don't they always say you end up going back to your roots.
Thats enough rambling on for now catch you later. Lesley
kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 10, 2008
11:26 AM

Post #4518923

Wow! Where are all the sand gropers?? Am I the only person in WA on here? I'm in Shoalwater, about 40 minutes south of perth.

I have lived in a lot of the places people've mentioned, so it's a bit nostalgic reading through here. I moved back here to WA from around Newcastle a coupe of years ago due to ill health and financial problems, and seem to be stuck here for now. Not that I mind living here, except for the wind :(. It's almost always windy here, and it can drive ya a little crazy after a while). Something I've noticed after living away for a dozen or so years in that it now gets very humid here. Never used to get much humidity here at all, but it's been muggy as all get out this summer. Must be the dread greenhouse effect.

Originally I'm from Gippsland in Victoria, which is a beautiful place to live but verrrrry cold in the winter. I kinda grew up in Rockingham, WA (if you can really call what i did growing up ... lol). I lived around Coffs for a couple of years, then went up to the Gold Coast. After being there for a couple of years, I spent a few months in Edinbugh, up from Adelaide, then a while in Wagga, NSW, then up to Katherine, NT, then down to Somers on the Mornington Penninsula in Vic., then up to Newcastle, NSW, for a couple of years. Oh yeah, and there was Geraldton, Darwin and a few trips back and forth between WA and Victoria, staying with rellies and stuff. Oh, and Canberra for a couple of months too ... never again! Waaaaay too cold for me there:{.

A lot of that travel was with the defence force, but a lot was just my own wonder lust too. It's only been in the last few years that I haven't been looking for the next place to move onto as soon as I got somewhere. Finally feeling a need to settle down somewhere, and I guess here is as good a place as any ... even if WA is 25 years behind the rest of the country :P

OK ... enough prattle from me for now.

Cheers

Kerri

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4520512

Welcome Kerri, wow you sure have been around ...have you settled for a while? ...long enough to have a gardener do you take a lot of pots with you :)
Are there any special things you love in your garden ...what are your favourites?
Most everyone loves the succulents here ...I am a jungle type garden lover, but love everything except weeds:)
I know you will have fun here.Hi everyone else ...we had a whole day of sun yesterday ...rained in the night, happy gardening.
chrissy
kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 11, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4521791

Hi Chrissy

Yeah, i think i have settled for a while. I really like my little unit here, and the rent is unbelievably reasonable for this day and age.

I used to keep lots of pots, but they were so hard to take with me on my travels. A lot of the times i would have a big garage sale, sell everything, and only take with me what would fit in the car. It meant starting over again many times, but it's a great sense of freedom to not be tied down by 'stuff'.

My favorite plants have always been strappy, grassy type things (flax's etc.), but since i got here, i am beginning to appreciate a much wider variety of plants. Because most of what i have has been given to me, i've got a heaps of things i've never had before. I'm falling i love with succulents and cacti type things. I totally adore my cannas, and have a few swaps lined up to get different ones. Mine has a lovely deep red flower. My neighbour gets yellow and orange flowers on hers, and my sister has a red verigated variety that gets orange flowers.

I never thought i'd say it, but i'm also starting to like pretty little flowering things too. Had a plant just pop up in the back yard a couple of months back that didn't look like a weed, so i stuck it in a pot. I've since found out is a Four O'clock, or Marvel of Peru. It has beautiful pink and yellow flowers ... some almost all pink, some almost all yellow, and some about half and half. It's a gorgeous plant, and is what actually led me to this website. I needed to comfirm the ID the local nursery owner helped me come up with after ages of looking through her books. I'm getting heaps of seeds off it, so plan to plant them in the back corner where it originally popped up, cos nothing else seems to want to grow there.

Yesterday i picked up a couple of small Moses in the Bullrushes at a garage sale, and the lady there gave me 3 rather sick looking Impatiens. I've cut the Impatiens back, and will see what happens. I don't know if they grow from cuttings, but i've shoved the bits i cut off in a pot, just in case they do :}

Most of what i'm doing is trial and error at the moment. I'm revelling in my successes, and learning from my failures. It's great to have somewhere i can rave about my plants. My family and friends have started rolling their eyes when i start reporting on the progress of this plant or that ... lol. I guess a little garden talk goes a long way with a lot of people.

Cheers

Kerri

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4522165

Kerri impatients grow very easily from cuttings ...but give them a shady position.The beautiful 4 oclocks (I adore mine too) may be a bit of a worry in a smaller area as I use them as filler type plants to smother out weeds in Summer ...I would put it in a pot and make sure you pick off all the big black seeds you will find wherever there has been a bloom.You cut it down to the ground in Winter and it comes back again from a tuber.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 11, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #4522316

Lovely pic Chrissy :). I tried taking a couple of mine last night, but the flash washed all the colour out of them. I've been collecting the seeds. A neighbour wants some, and i think i'll take some down to the lady at the nursery, as she's never seen 4 O'clocks before. Plants are great, aren't they? Imagine chopping a person off at the feet ... they'd never come back to life after winter ... lol.

That's one problem i have here ... finding a shady spot for things. Everything either gets full morninig or full afternoon sun. Having been bitten by the bug though, i'm now thinking of building a little shade house at some stage, cos a lot of the shade loving plants are really beautiful.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4522406

Just put something to keep the afternoon sun off at least most things like morning sun and afternoon shade ...perhaps a couple of larger shrubs that love the sun could be put there to protect the more delicate things ...the 4'0clocks don't mind full sun but perform better in a more protected situation (they last longer and have better colour) I am lucky as my house provides shelter as it blocks the afternoon sun from my jungle plants ...I grow the tough stuff in the front.
kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 11, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4522636

I can get them out of the afternoon sun, so they'll have to make do with that.

Thumbnail by kerri_67

kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 11, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #4522650

So glad i didn't throw this out as a weed when it popped up!

Thumbnail by kerri_67

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #4524450

I love them too ...you know they have a lovely perfume at night right?

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 12, 2008
8:02 AM

Post #4527333

Yep ... I'm out there half a dozen time a night just to look at them and have a sniff. Such a sweet and delicate fragrance. I'm getting at least a dozen seeds a day, so could cover the whole yard with them if i wanted. I took a dozen down to the nursery lady who helped me id it today. She was thrilled.
kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 12, 2008
9:11 AM

Post #4527363

Chrissy

I noticed in another thread you were talking about drying out your 4 O'clock seeds. Are they not ready for planting as soon as they pop out? If not, how do i know when they are ready for planting?

Cheers

Kerri

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #4527413

No I am drying out the Brugmansia seeds ...those folks in the American forum said to do that ...the 4 o'clocks are fine to go straight into the ground straight away. Believe me they will pop up pretty quickly ...warm shade and some water of course :)
chrissy
kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 12, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4527428

Sweet :D Thanx Chrissy
Gecki
Melbourne outer east
Australia

February 17, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #4548482

Kerri don't get too enthusiastic with the Four O'clock, They are a weed in some areas. I would stick to tubs / pots and remove the seeds. Impatience or Busy Lizzies are safe and easy to propogate and have masses of colours. I have a large one that is a great ground filler near the ferns and seems to flower all year.

Liz
kerri_67
Shoalwater, WA
Australia

February 17, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #4549477

Thanks for the warning Liz. I don't have very much room here, so don't want anything trying to take over too much. I do love them though. It's a real novelty to get the flowers at night.

I got 3 impatiens for free from a garage sale last weekend. I've trimmed them up and repotted them, and put the cuttings in a pot, so hopefully i'll have them going well soon.

It's so hard to know what to concentrate on ... there are so many cool plants around. I have no idea what my garden's gonna end up looking like. It'll probably be a total jungle, cos as i decide on a new plant to put in, i won't be able to bear to pull anything out to make room for it, so it'll just get squished in somewhere.

The landlord may end up regretting telling me i can do what i want with the garden ... lol.
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 18, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4552759

Your landlord willprobably be pleased to haveyou there and wanting a garden, so whats to regret. So many people don't care because it's not there own place. I have noticed that someone who puts in a garden is more likely to stay put. Then landlord will smile. You sound like me ,many many years ago. I decided to grow whatever yook my fancy, the things I really liked I really looked after, so it all balanced out.
Mygarden was full of my favourite plants, it's all a learning curve,,, that never ends. I liked 4 o'clocks as well for a while. Thats part of the
curve to. As long as you have fun with your garden thats the main thing. happy planting. Lesley.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 19, 2008
10:49 AM

Post #4972519

No Kerri_67, you're not the only sandgroper out there. Absolutely love the DG site - but how easy is it to get sidetracked and lost. The image is of the Indiana Teahouse at Cottesloe a few weeks back.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by MargaretK

weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

September 23, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5590422

Hello everyone, isn't this a great site? I don't come here often, would rather be out in the garden!! I'm in Cockatoo, Victoria. As we're in a hollow, our seasons always seem to come later than everyone elses. for example, our daffs, start appearing when everyone elses have almost finished, and I have had my garden wiped out several times by falling trees from ours and our neighbor's properties. But hey! so far out of the 10 that have fallen, only one has demolished half of the house, so I guess we are very lucky. Only really depressing downside, apart from the messy cleanup and lost plants, is that we never seem to have any mature plants, and I have lost several of my beautiful maples...I have been tempted a few times to have the remaining trees removed, but they are the reason we moved here, and so many new people moving in and clearing, are trying to turn us into yet another suburbia

I love David Austin roses but don't have a great success with them, so am gradually giving away the ones that don't do so well, and my passion at the moment is african daisies, as my aching joints aren't coping so well with 1/2 acre of garden any more and they cover so much area with such cheer and beauty.
I am one of those people you see regularly loading up my car with the bags of manure so kindly put out for sale by horse property owners. This, together with loads of mulch has helped to build up wonderful rich soil, over the years. Have even started my own vegie garden at last!! Oops, sorry, I should have warned you at the beginning, I tend to waffle on a bit LOL

gardening cheers to everyone
Margaret
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 23, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5590455

Hello Margaret. I love to waffle on too so come over and visit us in the Tea House for a chat and cuppa.
we love to hear about everyones garden. Jean
weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

September 24, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5595097

Hi Jean, thanks for the invite, is the Tea House an actual place or a virtual chat thingy,? the only Tea House I know is in Warburton, for quilters (yes! I'm one of those too!) but as I will travel anywhere to meet new quilters, am only to happy to travel anywhere to meet fellow gardners too...

I have been buying a wonderful range of poppy seeds - every type, size colour imaginable - from Ebay. Lady in Wantirna. Anyone else a seed and plant Ebay junkie?. I've got some great stuff over the last few months. And met some great people when I've arranged pickup of some of the plants. Today, I'm actually going to leave my back garden (where all the action happens because its easier) and start tackling the front. Its full of overgrown Camellias, Rhodos, a few Azaleas huge gums, self sewn maples, and TONS and TONS of wandering jew and wire grass and sollya, and hardenbergia creeper all smothering each other to death. It hasn't been tackled for about three years now as I've been busy constantly repairing the damage and creating new gardens, out the back.

So a quick cuppa, another slice of freshly made bread and good old vegemite, and I'm off. I just hope I don't destroy any birds nests while I'm at it. Last year I trimmed back a very rambly rose and it had occupied nests in it that I inadvertantly exposed to the marauding currawongs, so spent a great deal of my time on security guard duty to help the parents protect their babies. OK so they were only blackbirds, but I LOVE my blackbirds...

I've even dug up a SLIGHTLY dated picture of me, and will show you my garden (the good bits any way) when I transfer some of my photos to PC

cheers
Margaret

Thumbnail by weedsandall

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 25, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5595364

Hello Margaret. I wish I was close enough to visit but way over here in west Vic is a bit far.
I remember Cockatoo from my childhood. We used to stay up there during holidays. Dad used to rent a house and I well remember one year back in the 50s when bushfires were all around us.
Our Tea House is a virtual one in the Aust forum. You will see it near the top, as I usually go in each day and put something nice to eat on there.
I got the idea from the US forums as a place to just chat and show pics of our gardens .
There are all the other threads but I thought it may be nice to have one regular thread as well. Come in and have a cuppa and chat.. Bring some flowers for the table.
It may be virtual but it's nice to chat and pretend we are there.
Love your pic too. If I put me up there,I may deter people .
Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 25, 2008
9:14 AM

Post #5596826

Hi Margaret, welcome to the nut house! Oops, I mean the Aussie garden forum, (wrong place for a minute) You sound as sane as the rest of us. lots of collectors here!
Drop in to some of the other conversations won't you? we're all very friendly!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

October 2, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5626608

Thanks for your welcome, actually - and very sheepishly - I must tell you that I HAVE visited the teahouse, ages ago when I first joined in '07. But seeing that I can't remember where I put the car keys, only about 10 minutes ago! I can't really be expected to remember that!!...
I have a quick question to ask, when I started this week to clear my front garden of all its overgrown-ness, I find that its full and I MEAN FULL!!! of those tiny little beigey brown birds with white breasts, madly building nests, so I can't do anything now. Now, question is - does anyone have a fair idea of when I can expect the babies (which aren't even laid yet) will leave the nest and I can start pulling stuff out?
Its such a thicket and bird haven, I wonder if I should just leave it, and it can stay as a real mess! its not as if I have nothing else to do LOL

Margaret
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 3, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5626940

Hello Margaret. I know the memory thing, but I do remember you, so I'm not too far gone yet Ha ha.
The little birds are probably little wrens of some sort, unless they are sparrows.. If you want to clear any space immediately for plants, I would as the little things will just go and build elsewhere. They should be done in about a month but if they are sparrows. they can sometimes nest right up and into early summer. Pesky things. If they are sparrows, chase them away and clear. Put on a pic of sparrow. wrens are usually smaller . We do have really small birds here that nest near the ground. I call them Dots, but I'm sure they are some sort of wren too. They may be what you have .
Come back to visit in the Tea room soon. We love to chat. Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

October 12, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #5661138

Thanks Jean, I found a nearby nursery having a clearance sale as they'd sold the property. I had a ball!!!!!! car packed to the gunnalls (whatever gunnalls are LOL) with ferns of all kinds, REAL ferns, not the fragile cute - die while you look at them - things for indoors, but treeferns of various kinds, birdsnests, creeping underground ferns - to me, there is no such thing as an invasive fern...probably about $300 worth AT LEAST, $60!!!! I have tons of water crystals, so will be doing a dig reworking of the soil in my fernery area, lots of compost, crystals and mulch, and then a wonderful time planting.
I also bought, through a mail order nursery, a huge box of solomons seal, one of my favourite plants, and am putting it anywhere I can think of. It grows so well here, and spreads quite rapidly in any conditions.
Also lots of daylilies, for which I am still finding areas to plant.
Its almost like being an alcoholic!! buy just one plant, and I'm on a roll, and can't stop buying...oh dear, there's worse things to be addicted to I suppose! ;-D

We just got home with three more 1000 litre water tanks on the trailer, (all we need is the rain to fill them), also got a Wisteria, so now my DH Joe, has to get busy and build me a pegola somewhere for it to grow, maybe over the cat run and part of a path that is SO BORING!!!!!

The little birds, no they're not sparrows, we rarely get them, minor birds are our big pest here, these are about half the size of a sparrow,( just LOVE all the aphids on my roses - bless their little hearts - ) and are a pale buffy/cream/beige colour. I thought they might be silvereyes, but they don't have that ring around their eyes.
I used to have a really good bird book, but loaned it, forgot who to, and well...you can guess...

Now, I have a query that someone may be able to help me with, its only technically a garden question.
I am filling in my old fishpond, as the ferns have now caused it to be in shade all the time, it has a slow leak, and my new neighbor wanted fish for his new, beaut pond, and we went fishing, got all mine out, and they live happily next door now...
Its about 1 1/2 metres deep is a kidney shape sort of, and about 3 metres long and the widest point, about 2 metres.
I have been chucking in old potting mix, broken bricks, old pavers, all stuff like that to bulk it up a bit, but now have to get the "good" stuff into it.
My question is:
Should I use potting mix, as its sort of a confined area, or will garden soil be OK. Both will cost a fortune, whichever way I go.
I want to plant it with bog plants, as the leak is VERY slow, so will always be boggy.Astilbres will be a must if the shade is OK for them...
thanks heaps for any advice from anyone
Margaret
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 12, 2008
6:27 AM

Post #5661160

Margaret. You are so lucky to get those bargains. I wish, I wish. Finances keep me in control or I'd buy every plant I saw.
I am "trying" to concentrate on just a few. My Irises and Eplis of course and the lovely Angels. All else can just do it's own thing now.
The garden is in shock today with the heat after all that cold weather. Poor darlings, they will survive though.
Your pond sounds like a great area but being shady will limit you a bit. It would be a great place for the wet loving Iris, like Louisianas but they do like some sun Ive heard.
Come over to the Tea Rooms and chat. Someone will have advice for you. Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

October 12, 2008
11:10 AM

Post #5661383

Hello from Buderim on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
weedsandall
Cockatoo, Victoria
Australia

October 12, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #5661427

Hello Marleneann, its lovely to meet you. I have never been to the sunshine coast to visit, but went to Rockhampton briefly and that was when my son was 18 months old, He's 45 now!!

Oh, and Jean, I can't afford all this stuff either, but I have never let being on a pension deter me from spending. Fortunately my DH is quite happy (or resigned) to pasta meals or anything that is easy, quick and cheap. In fact, my only other BIG expense of boring stuff is the food for the animals. The dog is easy, he eats anything - as dogs do - but the cats have to have something different EVERY meal, and no cheap cat food for them!!!!!.
So, when its a new plant, or steak, ha ha guess what wins!!
I have one Angel. Plain white, but lovely...
I am going to have a play with photos now, and scan some and see if I can get them in for you to see bits of my garden, (mostly before the drought got at it though)
Margaret

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

October 13, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5663879

Nice to meet you too Margaret!
This is the latest plat I purchased at a garage sale.
It's a Mickey Mouse Taro. It does have a llllooooonnnngggg botanical name.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 14, 2008
6:55 AM

Post #5669249

Xanthasoma
NellyLela
Gold Coast
Australia

November 4, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #5750275

Helloooo I'm on the East coast, on the Gold Coast. I have just started landscaping a large area lots of rock veins and clay soil. Has any one any suggestions for hardy [of course] trees and plants, native if possible. I love colour and form.
Thanks ever so much. Hope you punters had a good day at the TAB.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 5, 2008
8:01 AM

Post #5754375

Hello nellylela, welcome to the nuthouse!
your soil sound tremendous! Good luck with that. LOL
tell us more about your conditions, i.e level/sloped, facing north/south, well drained/swampy, e.t.c
It might help everyone give you some answers to your questions.
I'm a little bit native ignorant, but there are some really good native plant lovers in the Aussie forum, so I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.
Sue
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5756214

Hello nellylela. Welcome. I am no expert on natives either and am at the opposite end of the country, but I do know there are some natives that you can't go wrong with anywhere.
Ask your garden centre or check your library or internet for your area for starters .
There are Callistemons (bottlebrush) that will grow practically anywhere from very dry to swamp. . I have great success with Grevilleas and Correas in my heavy clay soil. You will find some that will like your warmer climate.
We are lucky that our natives are so very hardy . There are lots of lesser known ones that you may be able to get if you look around.
Try eBay, as there are sellers of native plants and seeds on there.
This is one of the Alogynes (native hibiscus)
Good luck. Come and chat with us in the Tea Room. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

boo_book
Tea Tree Gully, SA
Australia

November 18, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5803851

G'day
Michelle from Tea Tree Gully in the Adelaide foothills. Presently re-inventing my garden due to water restrictions and trying to give new life to my elderly fathers garden which has suffered too from lack of water. Looking for water wise ways to get him back into the garden and rediscover all those wonderful positives that go with being in your garden such as gentle excercise, chatting with front yard neighbours, passerbyes and the of course a bit of vitamin d!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 18, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #5803961

Hello Michelle. Come over to the Tea Room and chat to us all anytime. It is certainly getting to be a problem with water for our gardens. You will get lots of help and ideas from everyone.
show us pictures or describe what your father has and we'll try and help. A lot of the ladies (and men) are up north and get a bit more rain but I am in the far southwest corner of Vic and very dry.
Hope to see you in the other thread. Jean.
NellyLela
Gold Coast
Australia

March 9, 2009
9:38 AM

Post #6241202

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies I am enjoying surfing around here when I get the gist of where everthin is and how it works I'll be posting more Have a great week looks like rain...

Thumbnail by NellyLela

Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

March 9, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #6241238

Hi all. As Jean says "come on over to the Tea Room" and have a chat. Great fun.
Strange NellyLela. That's how I view myself. (only in a masculine way)
Cheers Steve from Cronulla NSW Australia World Galaxy Universe Beyond.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 9, 2009
10:07 AM

Post #6241246

Lol I like that forward too ...mirror mirror on the wall ...
welcome ...nelly
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 9, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6241405

Hello everyone. I live in Barmera in the Riverland of South Australia. It is very hot and dry here and we are on 4 restrictions with the water. I have just started a collection of cacti and succulents. I have geraniums, pelagonium, irises, hippeastrums, epis [strap cactus] and lots of other plants with roses in a cottage garden. I have a few fruit trees as well. Good to see a lot of new faces. Colleen.
thingymajig
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6273075

Hi All and hi Budgieman - nice to see someone else from the Shire! I'm new to the forum and live in Jannali, South Sydney.

I have a small yard that faces south (cold and damp in winter - yuck) so I'm hoping to use this forum to get some hints on how to grow my veges and perhaps some plants that can survive winter without sunlight. So far I have cliveas and moss. The moss was uninvited.
On the vege front I have had great success with herbs - basil, parsley, mint, rocket, shallots etc Fabulous cherry toms last year, but this year the toms got mildew (bortytis, I think) and died.

I just purchased a Bokashi bin this weekend, so hopefully I can improve the soil (a lot of clay at present) and cut down on waste.

Thanks for letting me join :)

Thingymajig
Stake
Barmera
Australia

March 16, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #6274061

G'Day Thingymajig, Botrytis is "Grey Mould" not Mildew which is probably "Powdery Mildew" and easy enough to control with dusting sulphur. I don't know how cold and wet your yard is but how about the Brassicas especially Brussel Sprouts they'll reach for the sky and produce all the way up the stem. Broad Beans are worth a try or leaf veg like Spinach etc.
Brian
Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2009
9:28 AM

Post #6274129

Hi thingymajig, Welcome and join in on the lot! In our view anything west of Cronulla Police Station is not the Shire! LOL
Ooops that makes me outside the Shire!
We were close to buying at Jannali once.
Sounds like if your backyard is cold and damp then plant in the front yard! (sorry could not help myself)
Where we are is sand sand sand. Sounds like you are doing ok on the vege front. So try Azalea, Abutilon, Camellia etc. As for veges in the shade? Stay tuned the answers will come.
Cheers
Budgie
thingymajig
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6277276

Hey Budgie,

Yeah the obvious answer is to plant in the front yard, but I live in a villa and we have a resident crank who will tell you off for letting your grevillia grow too high. She is a lonely and bitter woman with to much time on her hands. Every complex has one! So I keep my gardening limited to my backyard.

As for Cronulla, well I try to avoid it - it's too trendy for humble Jannali folk to visit. And you can never find a parking spot! I do hope that the nom de plume Budgieman does not refer to any kind of budgiesmuggler?????

Hi Stake -
wow, you honed in some childhood vege fears there!! My father used to grow broadbeans and jam them down my throat every year. I learned to hate them with a passion. I still tease him by telling him that at night I sneak down into his garden and pick all the flowers off...He offers broadbeans to me from time to time out of spite and I tell him that this will come out in therapy one day...I couldn't grow them out of principle, he would think he had won. Spinach, however, I love. I will definitely give it a go. Other Brassicas - would that include broccoli?

I'm investigating buying a 1/2 wine barrel and putting a Citrus Splitzer (1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime) on the front verandah so it will get some sun. I'm intrigued by a tree that is half half. Any thoughts?
Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

March 17, 2009
10:06 AM

Post #6279318

Nah thingy. Breed Budgies for a hobby. Do wear smugglers on the beach but my kids and wife have told me it is uncool and I must wear boardies. I don't like to conform so not willing to change. As for villa 'bitter and twisteds' you are right in there being at least one in every complex. My mum had one at Kirrawee which forced her to move. She bought a house at Miranda next to villas and has another nark to contend with. No narks on this site.
As for your garden I guess it's small and limiting in plant numbers so it would be a challenge.
Head over to the Tea Room and let everyone know what's going on. Plenty of experience there.
Cheers
Steve
flatzie
Brisbane
Australia

April 13, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6401293

Hi all
Im Barry (Flatzie) and new to DG. Still finding my way around the site looks great with heaps of info.
I live on the northside of Brisbane, at Narangba, and love to grow the following...
Veges, Succulents which are completely amazing! Flowers in pots, and natives along a sloped eastern section of the yard.
Currently it just never stops raining here and have lost some plants just drowned in some less well drained areas.
Ho hum...well its nice to see so many Aussies on here and I hope to get to know some of you as time goes by.
Check out this pic of a new flower on one of my succulents, anyone know what it is?

Cheers
Flatzie

Thumbnail by flatzie

Stake
Barmera
Australia

April 13, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6401960

G'Day
The flower is a Stapelia but I can't tell what species need to see the plant itself.
Regards Brian
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6401970

Flatzie,

welcome to Dave's Garden and hi from a cooler part of Australia. I am down in Churchill in Victoria (not that its been too cool this summer).

Your plant is the so-called Starfish Cactus or Toad Cactus - Orbea variegata, although it is not really a cactus: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/52942/

Kennedy
Stake
Barmera
Australia

April 13, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6402012

G'Day Kennedyh, I'm having problems with name changes in all plants but Cacti & Succulents particularly. Since Stapelia varigata is a synonym of Orbea varigata what is the difference between the Stapelias and Orbea?
At least Flatze now knows what his plant is.
Regards Brian
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2009
7:09 AM

Post #6402365

Sorry Brian they are not a group I know much about. I also thought Stapelia, and when I searched PlantFiles for Stapelia, it also brought up Orbea variegata. because of the synonym and scanning down the images, that was obviously the one that matched. I don't know much about succulents generally, although I do have a Stapelia plant in a pot, but I am still waiting for it to flower to learn which species it is!
Kennedy
flatzie
Brisbane
Australia

April 13, 2009
7:55 AM

Post #6402394

Hi Guys thanks for the welcome and speedy replies!
So now I know what one of my succulents is and only about 15 to go LOL!
Cheers
Flatzie
Stake
Barmera
Australia

April 13, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6402637

G'Day Flatzie, While I'm happy to try to ID your cacti you might get a better guide from the C & S forum.
Brian
Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6407482

Budgie says Hi to Flatzie (sounds weird)
Enjoy this place. I do!
Cheers
Steve
ferolyn
Adelaide
Australia

June 19, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6709791

Hi Ladies,

Very new here. I'm from Adelaide SA. Wondering if anyone knows where i can get/order or purchase a "Jasmine Sambac" or a "Grand Duke Tuscany"? Would dearly love to hear from anyone has an info about it.

Please feel free to email me ferolyn_serrano@yahoo.com.au

Cheers!

Ferolyn

Thumbnail by ferolyn

Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6712220

Hi Ferolyn,
Pleasure to "meet" another Adelaideian! Here is a link to the Plant Files entry on the plant you are looking for: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55233/ It seems to be quite a tropical species and would need a lot of winter shelter here in Adelaide - I would think that any frost would almost certainly kill it.

You could try to DMail MyaC http://davesgarden.com/members/myaC/ and see if she can find you a source up her way.

Ciao, KK.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6712230

Hi Ferolyn
Welcome to the aussie forum

you can purchase the Jasmine here

http://www.herbcottage.com.au/Store/tabid/57/pid/598/Jasmine-Sambac.aspx
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6712237

hehehe KK, typing at the same time, how freaky is that!!!!!!
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6712273

Not to mention "Great Minds THINK ALIKE!!" LOL!
jungle_girl
Toowoomba
Australia

October 20, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #7188889

Hi to All, I'm new to these pages. A keen gardener in what USED to be called the Garden City--Toowoomba, Queensland. I say used to be because we are on Level 5 restrictions with absolutely no end in sight. I have lost so many of my well established plants because there are just not enough buckets of water to keep 1 1/4 acres going. I have a beautiful Bromeliad garden under my Native Frangipani tree which I am very proud of & a Wisteria covered pergola on the Western side of the house which houses my fern & shade plant collection, along with a small fish pond & fall that keeps the humidity up slightly. I have recently started collecting succulents & have several epis that have almost finished flowering now. One was placed in the fork of an Ironbark tree & this year it was a picture of fire engine red flowers that had people stopping in the street to comment on it. They certainly thrive on neglect. I am not too crash hot around a computer - how do I get to the Tea House? Thanks to Chrissy back in 2008 for the "link fing", that's the sort of info I need. well, according to the weather forecast, we are going to have showers this weekend, not holding my breath as we have heard it all before & just been spat at but have to say, the kitchen is FULL of ants, fingers crossed.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 20, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #7188943

Here we are ... just click onto this
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/oz/all/

and the Australian forums will pop up then just scroll down to the differt threads ...you will always find the tea room there with all of our friendly gardeners popping in for a chat :-)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 8, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #7252447

holty,do you remember you posted this...tasmania is where i am,yes we had 30 degrees today[my god] dont be misguided by these garden lovers,theyre everywhere,.like garden gnomes,

This message was edited Nov 8, 2009 5:47 PM
Stake
Barmera
Australia

November 8, 2009
9:41 AM

Post #7252448

If there's a fool in this forum he must be from Tasmania. There weren't any here before you came along.
Brian
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 8, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #7252463

brian love it,ive been out on the balcony trimming my pussy cat,she is walking around now buzzy free,she gets a few seeds or some bbq fat in her fur and needs some help.../mate the forums are all fun...for instance,how do you go with a serve of eggs,.../..looks like 30 degs tomorrow ...phew ...a bit of careful editing and DR Jeckyl becomesMR HYDE...paint fumes,painkillers and beer dont mix...

This message was edited Nov 8, 2009 5:54 PM
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7524883

Just rejoined the site after a few years and this post is still going , amazing !!!!

"September 14, 2006
07:39 PM"

Thumbnail by holty

brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

February 6, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7534977

Good to have you back holty. Keep posting!
hel
Alstonville
Australia

February 6, 2010
11:59 PM

Post #7536682

Hi Guy's, I started on Daves when I lived in Middle Boambee near Coffs Harbour NSW, now am in
Alstonville (Plateau) between Ballina and Lismore NSW it's two & half hours north of where we were.
The soil here is red and rich. I am led to believe we can grow anything here.
Have had a few inches of rain the past 2 days. Very hot and humid at the moment.
This is the by pass going around Alstonville to Lismore.
Hel

Thumbnail by hel

brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

February 7, 2010
12:45 AM

Post #7536806

After seeing part of that beautiful region of NSW, I would have to agree with you hel.You do live in paradise!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 7, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7536939

looking off the balcony to the north.cadburys chocolate factory [top left] moorilla winery [bottom right] william adams in the middle next to the highway

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 2:27 PM

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7536991

hel, you live where the Tibouchinas are, am I right...they used to be Lasiandras...I saw a photo of the main street once.
Beautiful place.
Anthony, great view...I am very fond of Hobart and surrounds.
Dianne
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #7537460

Hi Whizz , played golf down there last year with the "OZ Lefties" (NALG) and Claremont was special .
Remember a tour through the chocolate factory in 1974 , the LAST time I was down there !!!!!!
The botanical gardens wasn't bad either and was even better this time .

Hi Hel , (Helen maybe ? ) or HELL , your call .:).
Alstonville plateau is about the best it gets , forget Byron and Bangalow ... .
Yep , after what seems a lifetime the bypass seems to be happening in a millisecond .

Holty.
hel
Alstonville
Australia

February 7, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7537683

Holty,
Helen, your right but there was another Helen so I shortend it.I can't believe the soil, they say it's volcanic. Everything I put in grows. Only been here since July 2009.
Byron is so over rated as is Bangalow. Money! Money! Money! The stupid thing is people pay it.
Dianne,
Alstonville Tibouchinas, Lasiandras, you are right, are beginning to flower now, will get a pic tomorrow.
This is a Tibouchina Jules.

Thumbnail by hel

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7539044

Doing some planting of advanced trees soon and have purchased 10 cubic meters of "Alstonville Red" to mix with the alluvial stuff around here . I will post a few photos of work in progress when I start.
hel
Alstonville
Australia

February 7, 2010
11:45 PM

Post #7539716

Good move Holty, you won't be sorry but don't work out in that hot sun, well, it was there a few minutes ago, rain now.
The Tibouchina I promised you Dianne.

Thumbnail by hel

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 8, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7539943

Lucky you with the rain Hel, it's dry and hot here.
I sort of replied on the other thread by mistake..duh
Alstonville must be beautiful now.
Steven_Llewellyn
Langwarrin
Australia

April 6, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7685011

Hi all, i'm from the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. i joined DG at the start of the year and work in the natural waterway management industry.

Thumbnail by Steven_Llewellyn

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7685439

Hello Steven. Welcome to DG. Come over to the Tea Room and have a cuppa. Tell us about yourself and your garden.
Jean

mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

April 6, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7685683

Hello all from Menai. i have a vegie patch and lots of natives growing here in " the Shire". Move here a few years back from Windsor.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7685753

Hi Steven, I am on the other peninsula.
The beautiful Bellarine.
Welcome.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7685823

Hi Steven ,

A great site with heaps of info once you get into it .

Holty...

Nice photo ,

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8872881

My name is Shaun Douglas
i'm from Outer East of Melbourne in Croydon a few minutes from the Dandenong foot hills
i am a Solanaceae Collector with preference to Brugmansia
I also have a seed collection of the family with about 40genera and over 300 varieties with the seed collection being a little old now i'm just getting back in to the plants & gardening in a big way
any trades will be appreciated

Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 2, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8873526

Hello Shaun. Pop over to our Aussie forum on brugs. You will find that we are getting a nice collection going of Aussie raised brugs.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8874260

Thanks 77 sunset
i have thread as fav and will contribute to the forum & collection where possible
B.Double White X. aurea = B.'Tantra'

This message was edited Nov 3, 2011 3:45 AM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 10:37 AM

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 3, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8874274

Hi Shaun the Brug forum is here, this is the introduction forum. :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1228109/
Is that Tantra ?
jazzk
Brisbane
Australia

November 29, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8910013

Hi
Im in Morayfield Qld I have just recently moved from Gladstone also in Queensland so far im having lots of fun gardening at the new place I have been able to design my gardens from scratch just the way I want as there was no existing gardens before. I have found lots of interesting things to reuse as garden features from the tip shop such as broken chairs that have been turned into planters also an interesting tree stump that was going to the tip which has become a feature after a good hose down.

Thumbnail by jazzk

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 29, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8910951

Hi jazzk...post pics of your new garden in the November thread or start a new one...
Then come on over to the Tea Room and introduce yourself,
Everyone will enjoy watching your garden grow.
Dianne
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8910993

Seachanger wrote:Hi jazzk...post pics of your new garden in the November thread or start a new one...
Then come on over to the Tea Room and introduce yourself,
Everyone will enjoy watching your garden grow.
Dianne

so true welcome jazzk

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8911049

Welcome jazzk ...pop into the tea room and say hi :-)
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 26, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9020981

Hi Folks , I am a newbie to DG. I live in the South West of Victoria in Lakes and Crater Country. Camperdown area- lovely volcanic soil and 'sometimes' good rainfall. Also new to this area after moving from the Wimmera where 11years of drought finally got to me. - wouldn't you know - it has rained often since I left but no regrets I love this soil - yummy enough to eat! LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9020987

Welcome chookie.
I am not that far from you .. Just near Merino.

Did you bring all this heat with you ?
I know the wimmera well , having lived near Ouyen for a while. Its certainly different down here.
I agree, there is some lovely soil around but I have mostly clay here..
Pop over to our Tea Room and say hello. We are a diverse lot ,growing lots of different plants.
Come and tell us about yourself & what you like to grow.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9021029

Welcome chookie ...you are living my retirement dream :), actually it's the life I always have dreamed since I was a twenty year old.
Moving to my paradise in a couple of years. Can't wait ! Come join us in the Tea Room :-)
chrissy
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

February 26, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9021145

Thank you all for the nice welcome.What a lovely lot gardeners are. I do not know anyone here in my area as yet though I will join the Camperdown Garden Club this month, so that will soon change.
chrissy: I have always lived 'on the land' sometimes too much and sometimes small but never this small so it is going to be a learning curve for me to hold back on plants but age will hinder me anyway I guess ! LOL Where is your Paradise going to be?

77: I was the Librarian in Heywood for many years so know your area well.Went from there to the Wimmera and now full circle south again - the original Shoebridge family from Merino were ancestors of my family- that's back in the1850s .LOL I actually edited the Back to Merino book when I was Librarian in Hamilton in the 1980s. Wow that's looking back!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9021173

chookie I have had 20 years here on 16.5 acres, but hubby and grandchildren limited what I could do, full retirement in two years, then it is my turn to have my dream back.
I don't know where I will go,everywhere I look is floods or fire, both of which (like all rural Aussies) we know all too well.
Where ?it has to be in NSW as family (most of it) is here.
I have every Earth Garden and Grass Roots ever printed, bar the last few years. :) waiting.
This thread isn't really for chatting too much ...so do pop over to the Tea Room, where we can chat to our hearts content :-)
chrissy (PS I love books)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 26, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9021426

Velkommen-Chookie!!!!!-we have Shoebridges here, in the flower show group,.,.Elizabeth and Peter[i think]-cattle farmers from 'Ouse' central highlands, Tasmania,..,.,great people!!,.,.,.Hello Jazz k as well [you slipped past me]
finapom
mackay
Australia

February 27, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9022748

just saying g'day to all, new to DG and am intrested in Adeniums live in tropical North Queensland, around Mackay area, hot and humid at the moment and good for raising adenium seeds.
cheers

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9022764

Welcome finapom, lovely things Adeniums...a bit too cold for them in Victoria...
We have quite a few members who live in Queensland, hope you get to know them..

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9022780

G'Day Finapom welcome to DG. I have just planted some Adenium seeds to see how they go down here. I'm in SA. Come into the Tearoom and have a chat. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9022786

hi finapom here is a link to our tea room ...welcome ! :-)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241780/
chrissy
msjm
South Australia
Australia

January 20, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9391763

Hi. Not sure if this thread is still going but ...I'm from South Australia!!! :) only just really starting up with gardening but have developed a keen interest in succulents and absolutely LOVE epiphyllums and zygo cactus!!!! :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 20, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9391767

Hello msjm..
Come on over to out Tea Room where you will find lots of friendly people to chat with about your garden .
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9391809

Msjm, welcome to the Australian thread
Enjoy and get connected to others that have similar interests
Shaun
msjm
South Australia
Australia

January 21, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9392992

Well thankyou Shaun and Jean :) Still getting used to this site and format!! I shall try and find my way to the tea room at some stage!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 21, 2013
10:59 PM

Post #9393239

just click here msjm :-)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292393/

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 22, 2013
2:07 AM

Post #9393294

Hi , msjm-From Tazzie {Lilium Country]
msjm
South Australia
Australia

January 23, 2013
3:21 AM

Post #9394409

Hi Chrissy,

Thankyou for the link :)

Hi there g_whizz!! We're in for a hot 38 tomorrow...I'm guessing it's a bit better weather for you there in Tasmania!!!!
Queenofpuddings
Perth
Australia

July 26, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9612972

I am new to dg but have regularly been on the site for garden info. I am based in perth north east, western australia and i think our zone equivalent is 11. I have a large suburban block devoted to roses and succulents at the front, water gardens and yet more succulents in a small garden at the rear of the house and fruit trees and vegetables at the very back. It is an enjoyable mix that keeps me occupied year round. I currently am obsessed with the art of hypertufa which goes hand in hand with my love of succulents and watergardens.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 26, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9613037

Welcome to DG. Come and visit any of the threads devoted to what you like best.
Happy gardening
Jean.
taniaaust1
Adelaide
Australia

December 9, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9724418

Hi all, Ive only just found this site :) and Im in SA (Adelaide).

Ive moved into my current home from country SA right at the start of this year so left some of my plants behind in a very rushed move. My new location being a city house, was a huge shift for me with the down sizing of my yard. (I only have 1/4 the yard I had previously so now have to really pick and choose what plants I get... there is so many great plants around!).

My plant interests have changed over the years, I used to be right into succulents/cacti and used to collect miniture roses too. Ive always been into edible plants.

My current big interest right now is aquatic plants.. (how on earth did I ever miss the fascination of pond gardens before). Im in the process at working on a pond area which is not far off of being finished, the area around the pond 80% finished. (Im only wanting another 5 plants there.. 4 of them bog plants but havent decided yet exactly which ones I want). Then I have to get the deeper water plants. I only so far have one of the deeper wanter plants (costed me $16 for one plant, I so need to find people to do trades with). I also just ordered a large variety of lily seeds by ebay to see if I can grow them for the frog pond.

I also have an interest in rarer plants esp if they are eatable ones!! (Im about to order some seeds on ebay to try to grow some rare ones I want to put in some hanging baskets).

Im hoping I'll be able to trade for things I want with some of the Aussies here once Im more organised (right now my backyard is completely in shambles and overgrown to the point things are so bad out the back that I cant plant anything out there till its cleaned up).. but at least my court yard with pond is looking great and my front yard is "ok".

(I hope my post isnt too long)

Tania
brachychiton
Bribie Island
Australia

January 22, 2014
3:49 PM

Post #9753653

Greetings from Bribie Island off the coast of SE Queensland. I'm a serious gardenaholic and love this opportunity to communicate with other Aussie Gardeners.

Although my current garden is relatively new, it has some large old gums and Bribie Pines which have provided a wonderful starting point. It's a combination of native and exotic tropicals / subtropicals. I spend a lot of time searching for and researching plants for my garden - hence my love of Dave's Garden. I plan to add what I can in relation to Aussie plants and the tropical exotics that I grow.

Hope to post photos soon.

Robyn
Magpie63
Brisbane
Australia

August 22, 2014
8:21 PM

Post #9924284

Hello from Brisbane 4075 from an ex Christchurch Kiwi who is learning to garden in the subtropics. I have loved gardening since childhood, my mother's influence I suspect. Being retired I have decided to try more tropical plants such as gingers, heliconias and cannas. I recently joined Dave's garden and am finding the many articles useful, so much to read. I love the journal application and have had fun setting one up to keep track of what I've planted this year. Anyone else on here living in Brisbane or nearby, would love to meet other gardeners? Di

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM
Hippeastrum ginger749 50 Dec 29, 2007 6:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America