Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Invasive Plants: celosia invaded my beds!

Communities > Forums > Invasive Plants
bookmark
Forum: Invasive PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pegdog
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #2722597

Oh, someone on "plants i hate" thread mentioned wheat celosia... I have that in my sweet william! where in the heck did it come from in my garden??? i never purchased it or even have seen it until this year. help!
Equilibrium

September 16, 2006
1:20 AM

Post #2727885

Probably a gift from one of your neighbors who was trying to go for a native prairie look using exotics. Welcome to my world. I wish I had a dollar for every introduced speces that ended up over here from my neighbors. The wheat form is being sold around here as a "prairie enhancer". I have no idea who came up with the term prairie enhancer given there's a plethora of native prairie plants available to enhance one's landscape but somebody did coin the phrase and it might just stick because people will buy it thinking it's going to enhance their prairie or something. It's not identified as being invasive but it's been known to be a garden thug because it sets so much darn seed. Any reason why you couldn't wait for a nice rain and hand pull it? I don't think you need to use chemicals at all for this species but I'm sure somebody who has had to remove it will correct me.

I did a quick search for Celosia-
http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/flowers/article/0,13676,351605,00.html
Looks as if it is touted as being guaranteed to re-seed. That will appeal to many.
pegdog
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2737049

OMIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My nursery guy sold that nasty thing to me last year. ... I paid money for this???? Why don't they say any thing???? Ugh. Oh well, and yes, rain = pulled everyone of them up!! Thanks for the link.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America