Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

celosia invaded my beds!

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh, someone on "plants i hate" thread mentioned wheat celosia... I have that in my sweet william! where in the heck did it come from in my garden??? i never purchased it or even have seen it until this year. help!

Probably a gift from one of your neighbors who was trying to go for a native prairie look using exotics. Welcome to my world. I wish I had a dollar for every introduced speces that ended up over here from my neighbors. The wheat form is being sold around here as a "prairie enhancer". I have no idea who came up with the term prairie enhancer given there's a plethora of native prairie plants available to enhance one's landscape but somebody did coin the phrase and it might just stick because people will buy it thinking it's going to enhance their prairie or something. It's not identified as being invasive but it's been known to be a garden thug because it sets so much darn seed. Any reason why you couldn't wait for a nice rain and hand pull it? I don't think you need to use chemicals at all for this species but I'm sure somebody who has had to remove it will correct me.

I did a quick search for Celosia-
http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/flowers/article/0,13676,351605,00.html
Looks as if it is touted as being guaranteed to re-seed. That will appeal to many.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

OMIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My nursery guy sold that nasty thing to me last year. .... I paid money for this???? Why don't they say any thing???? Ugh. Oh well, and yes, rain = pulled everyone of them up!! Thanks for the link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.