Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Help something is killing my chickens how do I make it stop

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MelodyML
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2006
8:02 PM

Post #2723161

Ok I am on my 3rd batch of chickens. If this doesnt stop I will never keep chickens again. First batch went over to the neighbors where their brothers and sisters were (free range) then the second batch was my fault made a small cage without a latch, figured the heavy planter I put on top would keep them safe. WRONG. everything got knocked over nothing left no feathers nothing. Then this time I put them in 3' by 3' cage all hardware wire 12 " tall. Not only did whatever it was kill the chickens, first it tried to dig under the cage and when that did not work pulled it away it dragged the cage 30 feet. It had no way in so must have reached in. I am guessing at this part because what I had left of the chickens was in the corners . Sorry to be so graphic just need help.

Thank You

BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

September 14, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #2723277

It sounds like you need a real coop, nice and heavy and made out of solid wood. How big is your cage/coop now ?

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #2730579

I would set a live trap...
Have a heart or one like that
A big one ,incase its a coon
bait it with a can of tuna or cat food

edited to add

Maybe some leg traps...
if it dragged a 3x3 foot cage 30 feet...
chances it won't fit in a trap

This message was edited Sep 16, 2006 7:52 PM
Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

September 17, 2006
2:31 AM

Post #2731043

Melody:
Here is what I did to keep the varmits out of my chickens. I put an electric fence up around the OUTSIDE of my chicken lot, see the attached pic. This pic was taken last winter. It is a strand of barbed wire about 10 to 12 inches off the ground. Remember to turn the power off when you turn you chickens out of their lot. I usually just turn it on at night. The fence juicer I bought is strong enough to kill a chicken.

Even so, it is a continuous battle to keep the raccons, opposums, and stray dogs out of your chickens it seems.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MelodyML
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2006
9:19 PM

Post #2733074

BackyardHens , the cage I had/have is a portable one, you are right I need a solid Coop/Pen. My dh is going to build me one before we get any more Chicks.

Crestedchik I appreciate the idea but I am afraid what it would do to the poor critters heart. Besides I guess they are just doing what comes natural to them. Even if it makes me hopping mad and sad.

Virginian, Thanks that is an awsome idea. I will be implementing it when we build the stronger Coop. I was so hoping to be able to use a chicken tractor, but I think that will not be a solid enough structure.

Thank you all your advice, and just listening to me. I sure needed to vent.

Melody
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2733298

Sorry for your troubles!

A proper tractor made with good strong beams and hardware cloth can't be pulled up by anything but a bear or a person who knows how to lift it: you have to lift one end sort of by levering it onto its wheels at one end. The Mother Earth News one is great, and no one I know who has one has lost a bird to critters. You can build it bigger, as well.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/2003_February_March/Building_Mother_s_Mini_Coop

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America