Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Wild and Scenic Pennsylvania........

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Pennsylvania. What image comes to mind when you hear that word? I imagine many people think that because Pennsylvania is an old eastern state, it is over-built, the woods are long gone, nature has been overrun by man and and there is not much to see here............

You might be surprised to learn that not far from the major cities, Pennsylvania is a place of solitude and beauty. We have millions of acres of parks, gamelands, state and national forests and other natural areas. Much of the state is wooded, and as more old farms are abandoned, the percentage of the state covered by forests continues to grow. Organizations like the Nature Conservency also purchase special places, saving them for future generations.

I'ts a great place to photograph...............
In the series of posts that will follow I will try to share some of the wonder and beauty I have found here.

Pymatuning State Park is a few miles from my home. The center piece of the park is the large man made lake which straddles the Pa., Oh. border. In the dead of winter almost the entire lake freezes solid, except for a small area of open water called the Spillway. I went there just before sunset on a bitterly cold winter evening.
As the sun set the geese and ducks flew in by the thousands. This is one of the images from that evening.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The sun sets over the dunes at Presque Isle State Park.

early_bloomer

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Fabulous Photos! Love the coloring.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Personally, I think Early Bloomer is on the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce, lol. Your photos are worthy of entering into contests. Local arts councils have them, but also larger venues, like the National Geographic annual photo contest.

(Zone 5a)

Wonderful photos as always Early_Bloomer - I enjoy them so much! Thanks! You're lucky to have such wonderous places to visit so close to your home!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

N.W. Pennsylvania dairy farm...........Just a couple of minutes from my home, I often head there when lighting and weather conditions come together.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Presque Isle State Park on the shores of Lake Erie is Pennsylvania's most popular park with around 4 million visitors a year, (no that is not a typo!) with most of them visiting in the spring, summer and fall. The 7 miles of guarded sandy beaches attract the most visitors but I prefer to visit the beaches and trails in the fall and winter when the crowds are gone and the wind and weather join forces for great photo-ops.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The Presque Isle lighthouse at sunset on a winter evening.

early_bloomer

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! Gorgeous pictures! Great lighting and special effects.

(Zone 5a)

I second that! Awesome photos !

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

E_B,

I couldn't help but want to share one of my Presque Isle photos with you and the others.
It's a picture of a groin and breakwaters.

"Groins are concrete or steel walls that project out at a 90 degree angle from the shoreline. They interrupt the along shore drift of sand by trapping it along their face. The backside of the groin will suffer from erosion because sand is no longer deposited there by wave action. Sand must be artificially deposited on the backside to prevent this erosion problem. Breakwaters are large piles of stone placed offshore. They partially interrupt the lake's wave action, thus reducing the along shore drift of sand. This creates a quiet zone between the breakwater and the beach. Breakwaters create an outward extension of the beach by not allowing the sand to drift." (From an educational display at Presque Isle State Park)

This message was edited Sep 15, 2006 11:43 PM

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I got to put Presque Isle on my list of places to visit.
All these pictures are so beautiful... all the states have their own beauty.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I am in awe at your wonderful shots Early_Bloomer.

Clouds are a favourite of mine, and beautiful sunsets. I grew up with beautiful, dramatic clouds, the huge cumulus and cumulonimbus types, and dramatic sunrises and sunsets.

We do get some here, and seemingly more than we used to, also some very nice sunsets, but somehow the memories of childhood stay with us as special.

You must live with excitement as you plan your next rondezvous with nature. There is a certain irony that nature is taking back what man took from nature, nature wins in the end! Nice to be an onlooker as it happens too, such a privelege.

Thanks for your glimpse of the wonders of the world, and please show us more!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the wonderful comments. There sure are a lot of friendly people here.

Nice shot tc. I've photographed those groins quite a few times myself over the years. In fact, the last photo in my "Monarch Collection" post is my bike on the beach with one of the groins just visible in the left corner. They make a nice focal point when the waves are crashing over them--especially if you can talk someone into standing out on the end:)

Wallaby, Clouds and skies are some of my favorite subjects and I am particularly fond of sunrises. This one was taken at a State Game Lands near my home and is one of my all time favorites.

early_bloomer

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Oh, so beautiful, You could do a calendar. But so could so many on the DG. I can't believe all the beautiful, Ah Inspiring, pictures I have seen here.

Marie

(Zone 5a)

Breathtaking it the only word I can come up with for that photo. I've still to catch my breath again! Wow!!!

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful!! And you get gorgeous fall colors, too, right? I always think big farms when I hear PA!!

I think I am in heaven, or is that the devil's fork! Still haven't landed on earth, I looked at the last sunset again and it makes me catch my breath!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Magnificent ! Photos! You certainly have a gift (or an eye) for taking advantage of Mother Natures' Glory.

Thanx for sharing...

Joey

ISLE OF LEWIS, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

What beautiful photo's you definatly have mothers nature spirit in your heart, and your love for our beautiful world calls out to all that see your photo's, these glimpses of how you see the world and its beauty should be seen by all, and it might make the world a better place to be, astounding photographs, we need to value what we have got and realize that there is nowhere else to go, from Peter, Mary Anne on the Isle of Lewis across the pond, god bless you.

I'm adding one of my collages of sunsets to your thread for all to enjoy, that appreciate the beauty of our world, these are pictures from lakeside gardens the isle of lewis, our dream garden

Thumbnail by bruntongardens
ISLE OF LEWIS, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

this is the collage of sunsets, from our garden on the isle of lewis

Thumbnail by bruntongardens
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Fall has really been in the air here in NW PA the last couple of days. A chill in the air, rain one minute, bright sunshine the next and dark ominous coluds zipping past. It's my favorite time of the year to photograph and it's here and gone so quickly.

Ricketts Glen State Park is a great autumn destination for waterfall photos. A steep trail follows Kitchen Creek as it drops over a series of 23 waterfalls and trees as old as 400 years line the streambanks.

In this photo Ganoga Falls plummets 94 feet to the valley floor.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hello lakesidegarden...........What a coincidence. I just visited your "House as We Bought It" thread and commented on your collages and "lilac" sunset not more then an hour ago. Your house and gardens are beautiful. You have certainly worked a miracle there.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Worlds End State Park is not far from Ricketts Glen. This autumn star trace photograph was taken on a cold, still October night. I painted the trees with a flashlight and locked the shutter open for around 3 hours to capture the stars.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Fernrock trail runs through Wyoming State Forest not far from Ricketts Glen.
I was hiking the trail one morning and happened upon freshly fallen red leaves floating on a blanket of trees and deep blue sky.

early_bloomer

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ohhh!! Early_Bloomer! Pesque Isle State Park is one of my favorite spots! It's a really nice stop-over when you're on your way north.

Actually, All the places that I have been (in Pa.) have been really eye-catching. Very Scenic!

Thanx soooo much for sharing your pix!

Joey

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Awesome photos! Love those floating red leaves and the stars too. You sure make your cameras work for you.
Janet

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Beautiful photos! Wish our sunrises were so colorful. You've changed my mind that Pa. isn't just green. I was thinking more like my part of Wi. Thanks for sharing!

(Zone 5a)

Beutiful photos Early_Bloomer! I love the photo of the waterfall and the floating leaves!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Conneaut Creek winds through NW PA and then empties into Lake Erie across the state line in Ohio. I often trout fish there in the spring and have stumbled across some nice stands of spring flowers.

In this photo a blanket of Virginia Bluebells stretch along the stream.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sunlight breaks through the clouds, setting the fields ablaze with color in Pymatuning State Park.

early_bloomer

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

Continue to be in awe of the beauties of this world, and how well you have cought the essence of it.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The Ernst Bike Trail follows an old railway bed along French Creek here in NW PA. French Creek is really good sized--more like a river--and George Washington traveled it during the French and Indian War. On several different occasions I've hiked in before dawn to photograph the sunrises along the creek. I try to pick the coldest, clearest nights of the winter with temps in the -10 to -20 range. (we don't get too many of those)

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Another Ernst Trail photo.......

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And one more.......

early_bloomer

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Your photos are fantastic. Suitable for framing.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Early_Bloomer ~ The one of the sun showing thru the baren trees on to the snow is so beautiful that it makes me wish that Robert Frost was still alive so he could write a poem about the purity of it all.

music2keep, I had just looked at the same pic and felt in awe of the haunting beauty. Your suggestion of a poem made me pick up my pen and I jotted one down, so I will share it with you!

Titled: The Haunting of Myself

Look to my eye
As I look to yours
Thru bared beauty spy
Nature's finest tours

Leave me not alone
But return to my comfort
'Tis from another zone
That most glorious fort

I leave you not alone
But return for support
What do you offer me?
Said I in retort!

edited for spelling

This message was edited Sep 29, 2006 12:20 PM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Wallaby! That's Great! I wish I could do poems ~ I'm not very creative, But I love to read them.
Thank you for sharing. :-)

It was the beauty the artist captured that inspired!

I don't sit down and write poetry as a rule, on the very rare occasion there seems to be an emotion that captures the words, they are conjured up by the image and the words just flow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.