Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Photos: Wild and Scenic Pennsylvania........

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 105, Views: 1,009
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2724242

Pennsylvania. What image comes to mind when you hear that word? I imagine many people think that because Pennsylvania is an old eastern state, it is over-built, the woods are long gone, nature has been overrun by man and and there is not much to see here...

You might be surprised to learn that not far from the major cities, Pennsylvania is a place of solitude and beauty. We have millions of acres of parks, gamelands, state and national forests and other natural areas. Much of the state is wooded, and as more old farms are abandoned, the percentage of the state covered by forests continues to grow. Organizations like the Nature Conservency also purchase special places, saving them for future generations.

I'ts a great place to photograph...
In the series of posts that will follow I will try to share some of the wonder and beauty I have found here.

Pymatuning State Park is a few miles from my home. The center piece of the park is the large man made lake which straddles the Pa., Oh. border. In the dead of winter almost the entire lake freezes solid, except for a small area of open water called the Spillway. I went there just before sunset on a bitterly cold winter evening.
As the sun set the geese and ducks flew in by the thousands. This is one of the images from that evening.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2725080

The sun sets over the dunes at Presque Isle State Park.

early_bloomer

staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
4:49 AM

Post #2725296

Fabulous Photos! Love the coloring.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2006
4:53 AM

Post #2725307

Personally, I think Early Bloomer is on the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce, lol. Your photos are worthy of entering into contests. Local arts councils have them, but also larger venues, like the National Geographic annual photo contest.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2725544

Wonderful photos as always Early_Bloomer - I enjoy them so much! Thanks! You're lucky to have such wonderous places to visit so close to your home!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
9:04 PM

Post #2727210

N.W. Pennsylvania dairy farm...Just a couple of minutes from my home, I often head there when lighting and weather conditions come together.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
9:29 PM

Post #2727296

Presque Isle State Park on the shores of Lake Erie is Pennsylvania's most popular park with around 4 million visitors a year, (no that is not a typo!) with most of them visiting in the spring, summer and fall. The 7 miles of guarded sandy beaches attract the most visitors but I prefer to visit the beaches and trails in the fall and winter when the crowds are gone and the wind and weather join forces for great photo-ops.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2727320

The Presque Isle lighthouse at sunset on a winter evening.

early_bloomer

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2727433

WOW! Gorgeous pictures! Great lighting and special effects.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2727620

I second that! Awesome photos !
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2728363

E_B,

I couldn't help but want to share one of my Presque Isle photos with you and the others.
It's a picture of a groin and breakwaters.

"Groins are concrete or steel walls that project out at a 90 degree angle from the shoreline. They interrupt the along shore drift of sand by trapping it along their face. The backside of the groin will suffer from erosion because sand is no longer deposited there by wave action. Sand must be artificially deposited on the backside to prevent this erosion problem. Breakwaters are large piles of stone placed offshore. They partially interrupt the lake's wave action, thus reducing the along shore drift of sand. This creates a quiet zone between the breakwater and the beach. Breakwaters create an outward extension of the beach by not allowing the sand to drift." (From an educational display at Presque Isle State Park)

This message was edited Sep 15, 2006 11:43 PM

Thumbnail by tcfromky

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2006
7:04 AM

Post #2728641

I got to put Presque Isle on my list of places to visit.
All these pictures are so beautiful... all the states have their own beauty.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2729217

I am in awe at your wonderful shots Early_Bloomer.

Clouds are a favourite of mine, and beautiful sunsets. I grew up with beautiful, dramatic clouds, the huge cumulus and cumulonimbus types, and dramatic sunrises and sunsets.

We do get some here, and seemingly more than we used to, also some very nice sunsets, but somehow the memories of childhood stay with us as special.

You must live with excitement as you plan your next rondezvous with nature. There is a certain irony that nature is taking back what man took from nature, nature wins in the end! Nice to be an onlooker as it happens too, such a privelege.

Thanks for your glimpse of the wonders of the world, and please show us more!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2006
9:03 PM

Post #2730105

Thanks for the wonderful comments. There sure are a lot of friendly people here.

Nice shot tc. I've photographed those groins quite a few times myself over the years. In fact, the last photo in my "Monarch Collection" post is my bike on the beach with one of the groins just visible in the left corner. They make a nice focal point when the waves are crashing over them--especially if you can talk someone into standing out on the end:)

Wallaby, Clouds and skies are some of my favorite subjects and I am particularly fond of sunrises. This one was taken at a State Game Lands near my home and is one of my all time favorites.

early_bloomer

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2730272

Oh, so beautiful, You could do a calendar. But so could so many on the DG. I can't believe all the beautiful, Ah Inspiring, pictures I have seen here.

Marie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #2730306

Breathtaking it the only word I can come up with for that photo. I've still to catch my breath again! Wow!!!
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 17, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2731853

Beautiful!! And you get gorgeous fall colors, too, right? I always think big farms when I hear PA!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2731876

I think I am in heaven, or is that the devil's fork! Still haven't landed on earth, I looked at the last sunset again and it makes me catch my breath!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2732009

Magnificent ! Photos! You certainly have a gift (or an eye) for taking advantage of Mother Natures' Glory.

Thanx for sharing...

Joey
bruntongardens
ISLE OF LEWIS
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2006
10:20 PM

Post #2743424

What beautiful photo's you definatly have mothers nature spirit in your heart, and your love for our beautiful world calls out to all that see your photo's, these glimpses of how you see the world and its beauty should be seen by all, and it might make the world a better place to be, astounding photographs, we need to value what we have got and realize that there is nowhere else to go, from Peter, Mary Anne on the Isle of Lewis across the pond, god bless you.

I'm adding one of my collages of sunsets to your thread for all to enjoy, that appreciate the beauty of our world, these are pictures from lakeside gardens the isle of lewis, our dream garden

Thumbnail by bruntongardens

bruntongardens
ISLE OF LEWIS
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2006
10:24 PM

Post #2743438

this is the collage of sunsets, from our garden on the isle of lewis

Thumbnail by bruntongardens

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2743457

Fall has really been in the air here in NW PA the last couple of days. A chill in the air, rain one minute, bright sunshine the next and dark ominous coluds zipping past. It's my favorite time of the year to photograph and it's here and gone so quickly.

Ricketts Glen State Park is a great autumn destination for waterfall photos. A steep trail follows Kitchen Creek as it drops over a series of 23 waterfalls and trees as old as 400 years line the streambanks.

In this photo Ganoga Falls plummets 94 feet to the valley floor.

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #2743471

Hello lakesidegarden...What a coincidence. I just visited your "House as We Bought It" thread and commented on your collages and "lilac" sunset not more then an hour ago. Your house and gardens are beautiful. You have certainly worked a miracle there.

early_bloomer
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2743489

Worlds End State Park is not far from Ricketts Glen. This autumn star trace photograph was taken on a cold, still October night. I painted the trees with a flashlight and locked the shutter open for around 3 hours to capture the stars.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2743506

Fernrock trail runs through Wyoming State Forest not far from Ricketts Glen.
I was hiking the trail one morning and happened upon freshly fallen red leaves floating on a blanket of trees and deep blue sky.

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2743599

Ohhh!! Early_Bloomer! Pesque Isle State Park is one of my favorite spots! It's a really nice stop-over when you're on your way north.

Actually, All the places that I have been (in Pa.) have been really eye-catching. Very Scenic!

Thanx soooo much for sharing your pix!

Joey
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2006
4:06 AM

Post #2744546

Awesome photos! Love those floating red leaves and the stars too. You sure make your cameras work for you.
Janet

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

September 21, 2006
12:04 PM

Post #2745092

Beautiful photos! Wish our sunrises were so colorful. You've changed my mind that Pa. isn't just green. I was thinking more like my part of Wi. Thanks for sharing!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2006
1:14 PM

Post #2745238

Beutiful photos Early_Bloomer! I love the photo of the waterfall and the floating leaves!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2755836

Conneaut Creek winds through NW PA and then empties into Lake Erie across the state line in Ohio. I often trout fish there in the spring and have stumbled across some nice stands of spring flowers.

In this photo a blanket of Virginia Bluebells stretch along the stream.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2756504

Sunlight breaks through the clouds, setting the fields ablaze with color in Pymatuning State Park.

early_bloomer

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2764854

Continue to be in awe of the beauties of this world, and how well you have cought the essence of it.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2006
1:23 AM

Post #2768288

The Ernst Bike Trail follows an old railway bed along French Creek here in NW PA. French Creek is really good sized--more like a river--and George Washington traveled it during the French and Indian War. On several different occasions I've hiked in before dawn to photograph the sunrises along the creek. I try to pick the coldest, clearest nights of the winter with temps in the -10 to -20 range. (we don't get too many of those)

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2006
1:24 AM

Post #2768292

Another Ernst Trail photo...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2768295

And one more...

early_bloomer

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

September 29, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2768343

Your photos are fantastic. Suitable for framing.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #2768623

Early_Bloomer ~ The one of the sun showing thru the baren trees on to the snow is so beautiful that it makes me wish that Robert Frost was still alive so he could write a poem about the purity of it all.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #2769415

music2keep, I had just looked at the same pic and felt in awe of the haunting beauty. Your suggestion of a poem made me pick up my pen and I jotted one down, so I will share it with you!

Titled: The Haunting of Myself

Look to my eye
As I look to yours
Thru bared beauty spy
Nature's finest tours

Leave me not alone
But return to my comfort
'Tis from another zone
That most glorious fort

I leave you not alone
But return for support
What do you offer me?
Said I in retort!

edited for spelling

This message was edited Sep 29, 2006 12:20 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2006
6:30 PM

Post #2770384

Wallaby! That's Great! I wish I could do poems ~ I'm not very creative, But I love to read them.
Thank you for sharing. :-)
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2770421

It was the beauty the artist captured that inspired!

I don't sit down and write poetry as a rule, on the very rare occasion there seems to be an emotion that captures the words, they are conjured up by the image and the words just flow!
kimaz
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2006
6:58 PM

Post #2770435

WOW is an understatement. Beautiful. You should submit some to WebShots.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2771071

Beautiful, but it makes me shiver. Glorious morning light.
Glad you were out there to take these pics for us.
~Blooms
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #2773822

Wallaby, I loved the poem. I'm really flattered, I'm sure I've never inspired poetry before.

It was such a special morning. Deep snow, bitter cold and not another soul around. My camera lenses froze up and would not zoom and the back of my camera was thickly iced up from my breath freezing on it. When that alarm goes off on cold winters Sunday morning it is so hard to climb out of that warm bed but sometimes you get lucky and are rewarded for your persistence.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

early_bloomer

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2006
1:11 AM

Post #2774036

Wow, that must have been cold! The hardest things to do can bring the best rewards!

Feel free to use my poem where you wish, it has been a pleasure to behold your beautiful photos!

ps. ...wouldn't it be nice to frame your pic with the poem beneath it? If you would like to use it and add my name, I can give it to you!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2774978

That's a great idea...Frame the pic with the poem... :-D
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2006
8:47 PM

Post #2785959

A few more Pa. winter scenes.

Geese seek out the open water at the Spillway near Linesville Pa. on a cold winters day.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2006
8:50 PM

Post #2785967

An old barn shivers in the cold on a frost filled morning in the countryside near my home.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2006
8:54 PM

Post #2785975

The birch woods at Marion Brooks Natural Area near Benezette Pa. is a quiet and beautiful place in winter.

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2006
10:41 PM

Post #2786255

Geez...I think you could make a "killin" Sending your pix into National Geographic! They'd make some great puzzles, too! :-))

Joey
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2786485

EB your photos continue to leave me speechless! Unfortunately I'm not as poetic as wallaby - great poem!! Wonderful photos. I'm in awe of the beauty - and that you manage to climb out of bed to go out in those freezing temps!!!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2006
12:32 AM

Post #2786587

Your photos are beyond beautiful! I will surely have to take a closer look when I travel through Pennsylvania--I know it is a beautiful state, but your pics just make it look stunning! t.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2804865

Wolf Creek Narrows is a State Natural Area located near Slippery Rock in the west central part of the state. Spring and autumn are the best times to visit. I go there in spring for the wildflowers and return in autumn for the fall color and reflections in the stream. It is owned by the Western Pa. Nature Conservancy.

Climb the trail out of the valley in springtime and you will find a woods filled with red and white trillium.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2804873

Ironweed and goldenrod bloom in a State Game Lands on an early autumn morning.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2804883

I am fortunate to have the Erie National Wildlife Refuge less then an hour from my home. Here a trail winds through a fern covered woods, before it is swallowed by the mist on a late spring morning.

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #2805526

Geez...And what kind of camera do you have? These are...(no words) There is so much beauty in nature!

Joey
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2829366

Hey Joey...I'm still using Pentax 35mm cameras and slow slide film. I scan the slides with a Nikon 4000 dpi film scanner.

early_bloomer
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2006
9:20 PM

Post #2829407

If you travel to the extreme northwest corner of the state, turn north off of the last paved road, then travel the dirt roads north and west until you can't go anymore, you will find yourself at a large monument, marking the David M. Roderick Nature Preserve, also known as State Gamelands 314. Stretching for almost 3 miles and perched on high bluffs overlooking the southern shore of Lake Erie it is the most unusual and unlikely Gamelands in the state. Once the property of U.S. Steel, the 3,100 acre parcel was destined to be the site of a hugh steel mill. It never happened and around 10 years ago US Steel donated the land to the Nature Conservency which in turn donated it to the Game Commission. It is the longest stretch of undeveloped shoreline on the entire southern shore of Lake Erie. The Game Commission has placed benches on the bluffs near the monument. I spent some time there one evening a few nights ago. Here are a few photos.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 22, 2006 11:10 AM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2829410

Another...

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2006
9:23 PM

Post #2829419

And one more...This gives a better idea of the scale of the bluffs.

Thanks, Early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2006
9:25 PM

Post #2829429

The last one...

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2829470

WOW!! And I love Lake Erie!! ( I think I mentioned that already ). Those are Magnificent!!!!

Joey
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2835434

EB, stick with the Pentax you'll never get the same photos from a digital.
The slide film just does a better job with the differences in light.
These are marvelous. All of them.
And what a wonderful place to have a game reserve instead of a steel mill. - this be much to pretty a spot to spoil with that. Thanks for the directions, maybe I'll stop there one day on my way to visit my sis in the Albany area of NY.
~~Blooms
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2835939

Thanks Blooms. By all means stop and visit. That site is only a few minutes north of the first exit off I-90 after you hit PA.

early_bloomer
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #2840083

Great composition and fabulous photos. I am an ole PA girl myself but have no photos of that magnitude to spur my memories. Thanks for sharing.
Candee
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2006
9:17 PM

Post #2840693

Candee, Thanks, I'm glad you have enjoyed the photos.

Todays post is something a little different. Instead of my usual scenics I''ve decided to post a few photos from my visit to the Lake Erie shore earlier this morning. In the fall when the weather turns cooler and the first cold rains fill the streams, the steelhead run starts and they pour into the streams to spawn. Steelhead are a large type of rainbow trout. (the record catch was over 33 pounds and 39 inches long) I visited Trout Run and as you will see, it was aptly named. These are not great photos by any means but they do tell an interesting story.

Photo 1...The stream is a nursery water so fishing is not allowed. Here the fish pile up while fishermen line the shore at the mouth of the stream hoping to head the steelhead off at the pass.

early_boomer

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 3:56 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2006
9:18 PM

Post #2840695

Photo 2...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2006
9:20 PM

Post #2840698

Photo 3

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2006
9:23 PM

Post #2840704

Photo 4
High water levels have prevented the fish from advancing up the stream.

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2840722

Ohhh! E_B, Thank you for sharing this! May I burn these for my Aquaculture 205?(if not, that's OK) We were just talking about it Wednesday. One kid in my class swore that they were Salmon, which are in the family, but I & my professor thought that it was Steelhead. This is sooooo exciting! Do you have any more pix? or info?

Joey
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2840816

Joey, You are welcome to use the photos. I only took a few this morning since if was so dreary. The streams along the lake are packed with fishermen in the fall and early winter and they pump millions of dollars into the local economy. Conneaut Creek, a trout stream, runs through my town and then crosses the state line where it drains into Lake Erie at Conneaut OH. I have caught steelhead here in the spring while fishing for trout--some 25 miles from the streams mouth as the crow flies and much further if you actually followed the creek. Pretty amazing. 20 or 30 years ago there was a big salmon fishery on Lake Erie but now they are virtually nonexsistant-- although one does turn up every now and then.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 3:57 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2006
12:32 AM

Post #2841219

Oh, thank you Soooo Much! :-D That is so interesting!

We are going on a field-trip to Gardener, Pa. where there is a fish feed processing plant. Do you know where Gardener is? I looked on my Atlas & couldn't find it. (Just a shot)

Joey
nashflower
Fairview, TN

October 25, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2848232

Early bloomer:

You are making me miss it up there...My inlaws own a dairy farm in albion...I do miss the state parks in PA...Great pictures
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2852810

Early bloomer - wonderful photos! That field of trilliums is stunning.
Lake Eirie looks very great - actually looks like the see - you can't see across it! I guess they're not named the Great lakes for nothing. Amazing photos of the steelheads.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2006
11:06 PM

Post #2869984

I posted a photo from Rickett's Glen State Park earlier in this thread. This photo, another from the same park, shows Kitchen Creek on an early autumn day.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2006
11:09 PM

Post #2869995

A small waterfall and colorful leaves capture the essense of fall.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2870004

Sumac leaves always offer some of the seasons best color.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 31, 2006 7:13 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2006

Post #2870440

Excellent ~ All 3! I don't suppose you could do the slow shutter speed (as in the first pic) with a digital, can you? I just recently perchased a digital & haven't figured it out completely.
My Aquaculture Prof. was impressed with your pix of the Steelhead..."Ooohhh, this is neat!" And now he wants to go to Lake Erie;-) I found out where Gardner (I spelled it wrong earlier) is. It's just west of Harrisburg. We should be going sometime before this semester is over.
Thanx, again...You're very generous.

Joey
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2006
4:42 PM

Post #2907159

Spring brings maple syrup time here in Crawford County.

early_boomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2907161

A farmer drives his tractor down a rutted country road.

(edited to add that these are "Orton Images")

early_bloomer

This message was edited Nov 12, 2006 12:45 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2006
6:10 PM

Post #2907407

Sooo, Cool! I love Maple Syrup!!!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2006
6:59 PM

Post #2907540

early_bloomer, your photos speak well of your photographic skills. I noticed that you mentioned Benezette in an earlier post. Have you been able to take any Elk photos in that area during the winter ? I have visited there on occasion on my way to our hunting camp in Potter County (God's Country). From east to west, from north to south, Pennsylvania offers extraordinary photo opportunities. But, it takes a creative photographer like yourself to bring that beauty to the eyes of the casual viewer.

I do like your Orton imagery photos. Excellent job !!!

This message was edited Nov 14, 2006 9:38 PM
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
12:55 AM

Post #2932468

View from behind the falls...I climbed behind one of the many falls at Rickets Glen State Park for this photo of Kitchen Creek.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #2932475

One of my favorite autumn photography pursuits is capturing reflections of fall color in moving water.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
12:59 AM

Post #2932479

One last photo from Rickets Glen. See if you can find the red fox hidden in the water.

early_bloomer

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006

Post #2932545

Oh, no.. Has no one warned you about pictures containing missing dogs on this forum?? Mass insanity insues.

Oh, and by the way, your pictures are gloriously beautiful!!! :-)
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2932606

linthicum...Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. I've photographed the elk in autumn but not in winter. I really do need to make an effort to get over there more often and photograph them in other seasons. The Marion Brooks Natural Area is just minutes from Benezette and is gorgeous in the winter. I posted a photo from there earlier in this thread.

Marylyn...thanks so much for the compliment. So, did you find the red fox?

Joey...I think you would probally need a digital SLR and a tripod to do the slow shutter speeds although some point and shoot digitals might allow it.

early_bloomer
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2006
2:20 AM

Post #2932673

This one?

Bound and determined NOT to mention the monkey...
~ Marylyn

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
10:23 AM

Post #2933125

These are unbelievably beautiful autumn reflections! I feel I'm missing out on something, but by you taking the pics and we being able to view them is wonderful. Thanks again for the picture show.

Isn't it funny how we all see different things. I had seen the fox to the left of the circle placed by Marilyn, just touching it and stretched out in a vertical position. It is probably the reflection of a brownish trunked tree, with a faint black outline. At the top end of it there looks to be either the foxes ear or tail, whichever way you put it.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2006
10:38 AM

Post #2933137

Absolutely Wonderful!! Not to mention all the Water! 'Love 'em! Thanx again for sharing!

Joey
Joan6aON
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2006
11:14 AM

Post #2933186

These are wonderful pictures Early_Bloomer and all.

BTW, coal is what the state of Pennsylvania brings to my mind. As you know this aspect of Pennsylvanis is played up in books, movies, etc.

Joan
nap
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2935169

Marylyn and wallaby...I see the fox as being at the bottom of the picture. Just about in the center, to the immediate left of the rocks.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2935324

Marylyn circled the fox I was talking about. Dogs? A monkey? I'm confused...

early_bloomer

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2006
1:18 AM

Post #2935348

Here is the thread I was referring to. I'm not sure you'll be less confused after reading it, but it is at least good for a giggle or two. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/530015/
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2935448

Thanks Marylyn...I laughed til I got dizzy!

This dog has been hanging around my house lately. He claims he's a super hero! (This photo is not one of mine. The dog has them. He passes them out to everybody.)

early_bloomer

This message was edited Nov 21, 2006 10:00 PM

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2935517

ROFLOLOL!! Now THAT is funny! LOL
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #3060936

John,

I was trying to find the other canoe pic you alluded to and found this thread. WOW...you are good!
I think one of my favorites is the birches with falling red leaves and the sky in the background...or are they floating on water?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #4220351

Early, I am glad you linked to this thread. I completely missed it the first time around!

I like how you see things and know the discipline it takes to rise early for that best light. You have more discipline than me. ;) Before you made a reference to Orton images, I hadn't heard of the technique. Now I'm all excited about trying that out myself with my digital; I'll just use Photoshop to layer the separate images instead of sandwiching slides.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #4221286

gardenwife, Here is a link to an article that describes in detail how to do Orton Images in Photoshop or with traditional slide film.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0106/dw0106-1.html

early_bloomer
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #4221295

You took the words out of my mouth. LOL I was going to post that link and got sidetracked earlier! That's a great link!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 23, 2007
4:39 AM

Post #4221405

Thank you for such a wonderful tour of PA.I have never been there but my Husband was born and raised in PA. His discriptions of it are " farms, trees, cricks, cows and and cold then more of the same" LOL somehow I like your version better!
obxshelley
Currituck, NC

May 30, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9144729

I thought this was the spillway in Linesville at first glance. Wow, would love to throw a line in there!

Early_Bloomer wrote:Candee, Thanks, I'm glad you have enjoyed the photos.

Todays post is something a little different. Instead of my usual scenics I''ve decided to post a few photos from my visit to the Lake Erie shore earlier this morning. In the fall when the weather turns cooler and the first cold rains fill the streams, the steelhead run starts and they pour into the streams to spawn. Steelhead are a large type of rainbow trout. (the record catch was over 33 pounds and 39 inches long) I visited Trout Run and as you will see, it was aptly named. These are not great photos by any means but they do tell an interesting story.

Photo 1...The stream is a nursery water so fishing is not allowed. Here the fish pile up while fishermen line the shore at the mouth of the stream hoping to head the steelhead off at the pass.

early_boomer

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 3:56 PM

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9208223

Early_Bloomer wrote:I am fortunate to have the Erie National Wildlife Refuge less then an hour from my home. Here a trail winds through a fern covered woods, before it is swallowed by the mist on a late spring morning.

early_bloomer

Uh...WHO said he is not a poet? ;-) Early Bloomer...you are a great writer!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9214797

Thanks Connie! :-)

I haven't added anything to this in ages...here are a few more photos.

early_bloomer

oops! Sorry for the double photo.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 5:09 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9708234

Early_Bloomer wrote:Sumac leaves always offer some of the seasons best color.

You need to enter this one in a contest!!! Love it!

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 31, 2006 7:13 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9734725

Thought I would add a few recent images...

1...State Gamelands 269 in Crawford County Pa.
2...Kettle Creek State Park campsite.
3...Ricketts Glen State Park. View from campsite of a quick splash of warm morning light on Lake Jean.
4...Foggy winter sunrise in rural Crawford County.
5...Along the trail in Ricketts Glen State Park. Just one of the 23 waterfalls along Kitchen Creek.

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2014
5:29 PM

Post #9769956

Photos:
1... Warm light from the setting sun lights the ice in this eastward view of the Lake Erie shoreline in rural Erie County.

2... Golden light bathes the ice dunes along the Lake Erie shoreline on a cold February evening.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 15, 2014 8:32 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer   Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer         

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America