Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Prices for firewood this year?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

We live in Albuquerque and just use our fireplace on weekends during winter. It really does help keep our heating bills down. Our preference is a mix of white oak and cedar, and this year it is $305 a full cord; or $205 for half a cord. What prices are others paying this year?

I just bought (9-16-06) half a cord of oak for $100. This is in Southern California, Riverside County. I had to haul it myself.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Wow, that's quite a difference in price. They do deliver our firewood, but that just means dumping it in the driveway and we stack it. Pinon is popular here and cheaper, but it makes a very smoky fire and the smell doesn't appeal to me. We left California because of the high housing costs, but that's about the only thing that's cheaper in New Mexico.

Osceola, WI(Zone 3a)

Elm is going for about $80 a cord (split) and good White/Red Oak is going for about $200 (split)
up here in Eastern Minnesota/Western Wisconsin.....

T

Thumbnail by Tendencies
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I live in wooded mountains so firewood is somewhat cheap here comparatively. I can get a cord of mixed hickory, walnut, oaks and some locust... dry, split and delivered for $125 but I have to stack it.

I'm thinking to get 3 cords even though I do not have my woodstove moved here yet. When I install it, I also have to get a metal liner put in my chimney. The previous owners obviously had a chimney fire and the terra cotta liner has cracks.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Darius, previous occupants of our house burned rolled up newspapers and cardboard. The chimney cleaners told us there were layers of burnt-on carbon that was a real fire hazard. We had a metal spark arrester installed on the chimney last year just because I'm a real worrier when it comes to fire.

June, my new liner will come with a spark arrester. Fires worry me!

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

We bought 10 pulp cord of mixed woods mostly maple and oak there is a little white birch and some ash . We wil havel about 25 face cord from it, so it figures out to be about $26 a cord plus our own labor..We don`t have to worry about a fire in the house our outside wood furnace is about 55ft away from the house.. We are still using the same tank of propane from last February. Hubby checked it last night and we still have 47 per cent left

Aleta

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I miss heating with wood. No stove here, but I cut down a 25' Norway maple in the front yard this week. My neighbor said to rent a dumpster LOL....I cut the trunk and limbs to 16" lengths, and piled it by the curb with a sign that said "Take Me". About ten minutes later, a guy stopped and said he'll be back tomorrow, so I took the sign down. A couple more people stopped and I told them if it's here tomorrow night, take it. It's as green as can be, 1/4-1/3 of a cord, but it'll work fine next year.
None of the classifieds in our paper list prices, I'd be surprised if it's less than $200 delivered

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Claypa, when we first moved to Albuquerque five years ago, there was a dead maple in the front yard. We had it cut down and cured the wood for a year. It was the absolute best firewood we've ever had. There aren't too many maples here in the desert though so it was a treat. A lot of the firewood here is probably hauled in from other states, which might explain the higher prices.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Here in N.E. Michigan we pay $625.00 for ten pulp cords delivered. Ten cord is the minimum they will deliver, which is ok with me. It is mostly red oak and maple.

Gary

Gary, are those full cords (8x4x4) or face cords?

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

They are full pulp cords 8x4x4. This is lumber area. They sell what they can for construction lumber and the rest goes for fire wood.

Gary

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I just ordered 2 loads (3 cords each) for $125 per load. This from west central Wisconsin.

Lebanon, PA

Why buy wood here in pa its free every were
pallets ,,scrap wood from manuafctures
free wood in the news papers and merchandisers
some advertise wanting free wood just dump it in the back yard
hard woods only
a guy one told me he did just that put an add in his local paper and merchandiser
and he got so much wood
he told me it would last him 30 years

it was all free dumped of on his proparty

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Woodstove, we have no forests here in the New Mexico desert so most firewood, except pinon, is brought in from neighboring states. Makes it expensive.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey, just move to Florida. We're still burning the top half of an old oak tree that Hurricane Jeanne took out 3 years ago! Cheap firewood for sure. All it cost us was the two sections of our neighbors fence it took out. We just have an out door chiminea like the cast iron one in one of the photos. We didn't have many oppurtunities to use it this winter. Wanted to sit out on Christmas and it rained all day. We haven't had any considerable rain since.

I need to build a woodshed and get some firewood in to start drying if I cannot find seasoned wood this time of the year. I'm figuring $100 a full cord for seasoned wood, maybe less for green, but not sure. I guess buying firewood now will cut my elec. furnace costs next winter but it sure will put a pinch on my gardening money. I need about 4 cords, plus the $$ to build the woodshed large enough to house 4+ cords.

There are some guys who advertise dump truck loads cheaper but I doubt they could get across my covered bridge which has not quite 7 feet clearance. I cannot fathom why they built it so low.

I have 19 wooded, hilly acres, but it was timbered several years ago so there are few trees large enough to cut. Even then, I can't do it myself (female, 67) and someone would need a mule to haul it down off my steep hillside. Better to buy wood. But I might consider a splitter because chunks are cheaper than split firewood.

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

we just bought 17 pulp cord of oak and, a few pieces of white birch for $900. teh fella was hurting for money.
We called our regular wood guy and 10 pulp cord of hardwoods will be going for $650..We will be getting that in october.So we should be set for a while.. We did get 4 face cord of oak delivered for $200,that was alreeady split and cured...Aleta

Moxee, WA(Zone 4a)

My neighbor and I have shared the driving costs, + oil and permit costs. I supply a nearly new 12ft X 8ft X 6ft covered utility trailer and he has a nice new Ford F-150 pick-up to pull it. We're paying $40 a cord for the first 2 excursions. Our costs will drop down to around $30 a cord by the time we get 3 cords. So far we have 2 cords harvested. The last trip took 2 hours back and forth + we spent 6 hours with our 2 sons (17 yr olds) hauling rounds from the tree cut site to the trailer. The next few trips will be over-niters perhaps to get in some quality time with my wife and kids and enjoy camping in the woods. The gas cost will be down to $15 a trip vs $30 when we travel in the larger pick-up truck. My Ford Explorer gets almost double the gas mileage as the pick-up. We're up in the Pacific NW about 2 hours east of Seattle. If one were to be quite frugal they could get wood for $25 a cord here.

Frankfort, KY

I recommend replacing your old stove pipe with a triple insulated one. That's what I did.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I paid $120 for 3 face cords of supposedly dry red oak. I have to keep it away from water because it might start growing! Instead of a nice crackling fire, I get to hear sap hissing from the wet wood.

You get what you pay for.

I ended up getting 2 "loads" of firewood, all dry at least 2 years, all hardwoods. I paid a total of $270, and each load was a stacked long bed pickup plus a stacked 6' trailer. They don't sell it by any particular measurement here and I'd guess I had 2-1/2 cords.

I have friends coming in June to help with some projects and a woodshed is on the list, providing I can get a backhoe to dig out a level spot for it. I want it to hold at least 3 full cords.

Milford, OH

We are using a Texas Fire Frame grate in our fireplace. It works great. Nowhere near as efficient as a proper stove, maybe, but far better than any other grate I have seen for fireplaces. Fires are easier to light, burn hotter, and do seem to radiate substantially more heat out into the room.

I've not bought much firewood. We recently "lost" a big silver maple, so I'm set for a year or two. I have on occasion gotten free firewood (harvest it yourself) from utility rights of way and other public lands. Check with your county agent, if you have a truck and a saw....

Then again, my firewood is pretty expensive, counting the grate, the saw, and the truck. LOL.

Lynn, MA

i paid 300.00 for 2 cord i bougt it it july

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I lived in a forested area, and was lucky this year to find a local that delivers for $105. This is a mixed cord of oak, madrona, fir and perhaps ash and maple.

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

We paid 650.00 for 10 pulp cord of oak and maple,last fall.
They say this year it will be 700 or 750. Aleta

Grants Pass, OR

Here in Oregon green hardwood (Oak and Madrone) runs about $200 to $225 a cord. By the way what is a pulp cord?
Bill

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

We just had 10 pulp cord of Oak delivered,today $ 650.00 for 10 pulp cord. A pulp cord here is 8 ft wide by 4 ft high and the logs are 8 ft long.
We ordered another load for the middle of June.So we will be busy cutting and splitting. Aleta

So, a 10 pulp cord is really 2 full cords, just in 8' lengths?

A full cord is 4x4x8, or 128 cubic feet... a "face cord" is generally measured by the length of the cut wood and usually runs from a third of a full cord to half a full cord. http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Hubby figured we got 22 to 24 face cord 24 in. long out of our 10 pulp cord load, that is about right ,because we go thru 20 to 24 face cord of wood to heat our house and greenhouse . We will be out of wood tomorrow,from last years load
Aleta

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

NORTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA............ Average cost is $200 a full cord of standing or down dead oak plus in most instances consideration for distance of hauling. Individuals for personal use can purchase a cord permit for ten dollars which must be collected within fifteen days or a two cord permit for twenty dollars in thirty days of use time. This is waste wood from the State Forests. The permit does not include mechanical help to drag it to roadside. It must be cut and carried by the permit holder and you must state where you will collect your wood when getting the permit.

I just bought a truckload of dried, cut & split hardwood, 15' x 8' x 3+' on the truck. Cost was $300 and I think when it's all stacked so I can measure, it will be close to 3 full cords.

Verona, ON

OMG Darius ya sure can't beat that deal. Man oh Man my DH is very envious...... you paid what we would pay for 1 cord up here.
Why do you need the feel for the shelter? Don't have to answer just interested. We have piles of wood stacked in a rotating pattern that only my DH can understand but at least it keeps him thinkin! All of our wood is stacked on skids so it is off of the ground and is covered for certain months of the year. We do keep a large stack in the carport that we use during the night - just so I don't have to cross that snow in my barefeet to bring in wood. lol Our wood is always dry except for the rare exception when the rain snuck up and in under the canvas covering the wood piles.
Sooooo good to read a bit of what you are up to Darius. Born in 41 were you? DH was too.
Think of you often
Dianne

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 12:48 AM

Hey Gal... Nice to see you pop up! Nope, born in 1940. I don't understand your question "Why do you need the feel for the shelter? "

Verona, ON

I sure wasn't very clear was I? I meant the need to build a wood shed. We have heated with wood for over 30 years and have never had a wood shed. All I was thinking about was the expense of building and not being able to have extra $$'s for your garden.
Course everyone has their own method of stacking and storing wood that works for them. Have you ever seen a huge pile of cut and split wood - it looks like a concentric circle? It is a European method of storing split wood. It has just always intruiged me,
Great to hear you making plans - did ya get your Market Booth going this year?
Gotta tell you all that you taught DH and I something - we had never heard of a pulp cord - you explained it well, made perfect sense once we understood the term.

Now I get it! The want/need for a shed is more of a convenience (and tidiness) than anything. Currently I stack the wood adjacent to the house, leaving maybe half a foot, and cover just the top with tin roofing. I would prefer not to have firewood so close to the house due to termites and powder-post beetles. and the only other location would be too far to comfortably carry firewood daily or even weekly (the barn). Digging out a flat spot next to my root cellar would still be handy, and if it were a roofed 3-sided structure, I could store stuff like garden pots in there as well. Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, though.

Yes, I have seen firewood stacked in that fashion. One or two of the old timers still do it that way here. I suspect that practice came from how the colliers stacked wood to make charcoal. This photo is by Benjamin Cody under a GNU Free Documentation License.

No Market Booth this year, and maybe not even next year either. I really have a LOT of work to do on my soil in order to grow great quality specialty items like leeks, shallots and a range of garlics. My garlic and leeks this year were pitiful; the soil is not yet loose enough for decent root crops.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 9:18 AM

Thumbnail by darius
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I have never seen this forum before and was curious to see what it was like. I am shocked at what you all have listed for prices for a cord of firewood. We were calling around last night and a cord of fully seasoned wood was going for over $400!! Last year we paid close to $300 and the wood was still a little green! Unseasoned is going for about $175 here, so I'm wondering if you all are smarter than us and are buying that type for future use?

The firewood I bought is not really fully seasoned. It was felled in January and February. I intend to get another $300, 3 cord load to set aside for another year; in the current economic crisis I think it makes sense to do so, plus it will then be fully dry when I use it.

I have at least 2/3 cord remaining from a year ago that was already dry 2 years when I bought it. How much I use depends on the winter, of course, and how much we use the heat pump on nights above 40 when the heat pump is efficient.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

It is a good idea to get it now for later. Every year we say we are going to do it, but after paying for two cords of wood and 3 propane tank fills we somehow ; ) never got to it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.