Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: help, do I need a light to get winter eggs and if so ?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 3, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2006
2:27 AM

Post #2728066

here is a pic of my coop, the box part is 1/2 nest box 1/2 perch, pretty small box1/2 of fenced area is covered with tar paper they also go under the box, especially when it is hot. dh thinks light should be in nesting box, I think under box or under tar paper. what does someone with experience think ? I have 3 chickens 1 rrr and2 black hens. thankyou for your help, I am in zone 7 and may get 1 or two freezing nights but no more than that.

Thumbnail by veeja3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BackyardHens
Antrim, NH

September 16, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2730174

We do not put a light in our chickens' coop and we live in a place where is gets dark early and gets freezing in the winter. They still lay eggs, albeit fewer. If you want to have a light, somewhere where the girls will spend the most of their time is a good idea. Maybe you could set it up on a timer, so that they still get 8 hours of darkness a night, so they can sleep well.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2733678

I don't find it necessary.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2733780

I use lights in our birdhouse in the winter months. Hens usually need about 16 hours of light to continue to lay well. Of course there are breeds who are daylight hours neutral. I don't know about the breeds you have. Especially the unknowns.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America