Photo by Melody

Wildlife Gardening: Drip watering system for birds?

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 68, Views: 412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Equilibrium

September 16, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2728116

I've long toyed with the idea of creating a drip watering system for my birds. It always seems to get pushed to a back burner.

I know many birds prefer their baths at ground level but I hesitate to do this because of feral and stray cats. I'd feel guilty if a bird got lured to its death because of something I did so I've been looking at drippers that could be added to existing birdbaths that are up off the ground-
http://www.duncraft.com/merchant.ihtml?id=22&step=2
I've run across some nice dripper/mister combos but they seem pricey.

Here's a homemade version-
http://birding.about.com/library/weekly/aa042400c.htm
Similar deal to what my girlfriend Lisa did in her back yard.

Here's the ground dripper I liked-
http://www.backyardbirdsdiscoverycenter.com/HPI-422B.htm

Has anyone out there created any drip watering systems? I know they don't need to be fancy and could be a simple jug with pinholes in it hung from a support of some sort. A friend of mine uses an old ice jug that looks to be about 2.5 gallons and she has it spilling down into the top of a garbage can. Her birds seem to love it.
Fireweed87
Collingswood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2731918

I haven't installed any sort of drip system, in fact, I'm scurrying around now trying to figure out how I'm going to keep my birdbaths from freezing this winter. In the past I just dismantled the birdbaths for the winter, but I've been reading about how important water is to wildlife over the winter months. I don't have any outdoor electrical outlet and don't like the thought of big orange electrical cords laying out there in the rain and snow. I guess I'll do a search of solar birdbath accessories?

I'd like to install some sort of drip system, but how you keep that from freezing in winter? Obviously, I'm clueless here.
Equilibrium

September 17, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2732007

I don't know if drip systems would be feasible for the winter months. I don't see how we could keep them from freezing based on their very design. Maybe somebody out there has rigged something?

I have the long orange electrical cords hooked to de-icers running to two birdbaths. I never thought of a solar de-icer. I use solar "night lights" around ponds to lure insects to my herp babies so why not? Something has got to be out there somewhere.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2006
9:30 PM

Post #2733106

You know, I have a mister or it can be a dripper (I think, I always used the mister) that I bought from Wild Birds Unlimited while living in TN. Here, I have an outlet, but to go to my birdbaths, if I went with that one over there, it goes across the grass and could get cut with the mower. No, scratch that, it would get cut with the mower. It I went with the other birdbath this side, it would have to go across the sidewalk and everybody and their brother would be tripping, me being the first. It's always hooked to a Y thing on your hose. It's in a box somewhere, still not all the way unpacked and it's a year and a half that we've lived here. Oh and the mister nor the dripper are for cold weather, they need to be brought in and stored. Or if you're like me, stuck on a shelf where you can't find it next year :o)

Also in a box, is my heater for my birdbath. Now that I also bought from WBU, but I bought it while up here before we moved. I had a big thick green outdoor extension cord that the cold nor snow was supposed to bother and it never did. I think that's the point of them? Not sure though.

I also have a concrete "bird spa". It got a big concrete bucket type thing (round, no handle though), that gets buried half or 3/4's under the ground. Then a concrete saucer type thing with a hole in the middle that sits on top. The thing has a pump and a small copper tube comes up and out the hole in the saucer, making more of a fountain type accent. The birds always loved it where ever I had it. Here, my front outside electric doesn't work (isn't even hooked to anything we found), and in back, well, I just don't really want it out back. I've debated about calling Brian (my electrician) to come and put me an outlet out back in the yard and to fix the outlet out front, and put an outlet in the front yard. Money money money though.
Fireweed87
Collingswood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2733470

After spending way too much time looking for a solar de-icer for birdbaths, this is the only thing I found http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HAB-10008

It looks like nothing more than a black plastic lid that covers the water except for a 1.5" opening. I'm not sure the birds could even find the opening. I'd have to keep the water level just right, and what if a small bird fell in? Would he find his way out?

Looks like I'll be dragging out the extension cord.
Equilibrium

September 18, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2733565

Yes, money sure does put a damper on many projects.

At least the extension cords are bright orange. They show up pretty good so we're less likely to trip and kill ourselves if... we remember they're out there waiting to leap up from the ground to attack our legs and make us do face plants.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2733692

Ah Equil, you have to remember that one has to actually look down while walking in order to spot the bright orange. That would be my neighbors, always with their nose downward. Me? I'm always looking around.
Equilibrium

September 18, 2006
2:32 AM

Post #2733995

Me too. Perhaps this is why we are so injury prone.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2006
3:20 AM

Post #2734129

Now here I thought my injury proneness was due to my own stupidity. Never paying attention, tripping over my own 2 feet. Good grief. Today I got asked if I'd been up on a ladder recently. Uh, we didn't answer! John very smoothly changed the subject!
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2740314

Equilibrium, I've been looking all over for a "face plant". Is that a native or exotic?

I used to carry hot water out to the birdbath on my patio. It cooled before any birds felt safe to come for a sipand dip, but it also froze quickly. I've dismantled my collapsing cement block perimeter raised patio this summer. (Four courses of cemented - cement block was easier to destroy than this vinca/ivy forest I am still working on.) I don't have a flat place close to my back door anymore until spring.

Dripping water will freeze a bit more slowly than still water. Any suggestions for where I could find a multi-gallon drip "bag" to hang to see if the sun would be enough to keep ahead of the freezing air temperature?
Equilibrium

September 20, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2741088

I had a very long day today that was rather challenging and frustrating. I am so sorry notgrnjean, a face plant is when one is careless or distracted and ends up face down on the ground. I am so sorry, there is no such thing per se as a plant called a face plant. I feel horrible that you most probably did an exhaustive search trying to find the ever so elusive face plant.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3329802

Hi there!
Check this one out!
It is made of pottery and is very pretty
http://www.globalsite.net/fknaski/
-T
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2007
4:53 PM

Post #3329862

ps-I have a cheap glass "sun tea" container that looks really similar to that one that I got at either Wal-Mart, or Gardenridge.
My spout is different, but I'm sure you could find one that is like the one in the link...

It certainly would be MUCH cheaper than the one on the site, lol...
-T
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
11:33 AM

Post #3397595

I came across this thread a month or two ago and thought that this sounded like a great idea. Then, on Saturday, whilst cruising through a consignment shop looking for hidden treasures, I saw this. Remembering this thread, I decided to scoop it up in hopes of creating my own drip system for my tweeties. I gave 'er a test run by filling with water, but the seal is not tight so it will require a bit of maintenance before I am able to use it. Also, I'll need to find a way to support it - I'm envisioning setting it on a large flat-ish rock where water can pool. BUT it will need to be elevated in order to prevent problems from the local cats (hunters).

This item was labeled for use in storing wine. I paid US $20 for it. I hope that I'll get to use it.

Edited for grammar.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 11:34 AM

Thumbnail by wrightie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 16, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #3397627

What a great find, wrightie! Be sure and update us if you get it working.

We had a tank of sorts on top of our ramada that fed the bird bath drips, but DH upgraded the covering on the ramada Saturday and decided he's going to install piping to feed them. Of course, that requires a lot of digging, so it might be a while!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #3399163

Wrightie-
That is VERY COOL!

Lucky you, to have found it!
:0)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3399308

Cool wrightie!!!
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3399323

Okay, quiz time. What would YOU do with it? i.e. I envisioned it perched on top of a big flat boulder. It wouldn't work sitting in my current birdbath because mine is too rickety.

Looking for other creative ideas...

Sorry about your cutting off your finger today, Pep. I hope that you will not need to go out on disability.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3399338

Nah, it wasn't bad enough for that. LOL. I like your suggestion for sitting it on a boulder. It would look great on one.
Equilibrium

April 16, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3399501

That thing is way cool. I would have bought it in a heart beat. We have a hypertufa forum here somewhere. I envision that garden art sitting on some sort of a piece of hypertufa made to create an area in front of it for birds to splish splash that is maybe only a half an inch deep in a semi circle so that it could become a garden focal point. I am not that creative but am getting this picture in my mind of what I am trying to say but it's not coming out of my finger tips right.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3399509

Say no more, say no more.

DUH, why didn't I think of hypertufa? Thanks, Equil. Sounds like a fun warm weather project.
Equilibrium

April 16, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #3399557

This will be my second year that I keep telling myself I need to break down and try something in hypertufa. Every once in a while I go over to that forum and I get out of control looking at all the awesome projects these people are creating while trying to figure out how hard it would really be to copy some of their designs. It looks a little bit intimidating to me but to read their blow by blow instructions of how they go about creating those works of art makes me feel as if I might have a chance recreating one of their projects. So far I am in the dream stage but one of these days... one of these days.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3399562

Equil, quit dreaming and DO IT!!! LOL
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3399572

Pepper's right... and you can turn it into family fun time by involving your kidZ.

Hypertufa = Family Values

Hooray!

Edited to clarify ownership of the shorties.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 9:23 PM
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3399578

"our kidZ"

"OUR" kidz?

Wow. Not sure where that came from...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3399579

LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3399582

I don't know either. I thought it was strange you said *our kidz* when last I heard you didn't have any?
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3399584

only the four-legged flavors
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #3399588

that's what I thought. lol
Equilibrium

April 16, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #3399589

Hey Pepper, what's this I hear about you cutting off a finger? Please do tell me all the details so I don't feel like the only one out there who did this.

Family fun time??? Mine would be grabbing handfuls of the mix and slopping it at each other. It would probably be hard to concentrate the first time around with handfuls of the product whizzing past one's face. I get the impression this is one of those projects where you just get a girlfriend and go for it- without kids. Second time around can include kids after one has a basic idea of what one is doing.

I have been saving mixes to a nice safe place on my hard drive. Does this count for anything?
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3399597

Yes, because after you test them all out you can recommend the best ones to me. Thanks in advance.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3399619

I cut my finger when cutting the dead leaves off daylilies. I have a hole in the tip of my left middle finger now.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3399634

You should post a picture of that finger.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3399662

Can't. Has a cotton ball on to stop bleeding and has like 5 band-aids on that to hold it. It bled pretty bad.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3399717

Blech.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3399721

LOL. I imagine you would have passed out if you had seen this.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3399732

Nah, no passing out. But I'd prefer to look away... I'm an old lady now. Weak stomach.
Equilibrium

April 16, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3399743

Yes, post a photo of that cotton ball wad, inquiring minds want to see and well... it's always nice to know one isn't the only one who does injury to one's self.

You first wrightie. I insist.
Experiment away!

http://www.timpyworks.com/pamphlets/hypertufa-101/101.html
http://www.efildoog-nz.com/hypertufa.htm
http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/hypertufa-recipes.html
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/hypertufa/2003030744004525.html
http://www.gardenmolds.com/pages/resources/concrete.html
http://www.flower-press.com/hypertufa.htm
http://www.all-about-planters.com/articles/hypertufa_pots.html
http://union.osu.edu/mgarden/articles/hypertufarecipe.htm
http://www.backyardgardener.com/tufa.html
http://www.tranquil-lake.com/hypertuf.htm

Here is one mix I saved that looked interesting (easy)-

Peat moss- 2parts, Sift through finger to remove all lumps
Portland cement - 1 part
Sand, vermiculite, or perlite - 1 part

Feast your eyes on this-
http://uk.msnusers.com/GardenJunk/hypertufa.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=39189&LastModified=4675555636723374304
Equilibrium

April 16, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3399758

I am getting the hang of this new computer after all!

Lookie what I found a link to-
http://www.concretegardenleaves.com/concrete-leaf.htm
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3399762

Hey, I might even have all of those ingredients on hand already.

Funny you should post that elephant ear link at the end... I purchased a great book on concrete garden ornaments last year and one of my To Do items is a bird bath/puddle made with an elephant ear leaf.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #3399779

We had those at in our last conservatory display at work. they were neat. I will try to remember to post a pic tomorrow. Remembering is the key. lol
Equilibrium

April 16, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3399800

You're not old enough to have memory recall issues gosh darnitall. Post the conservatory display woman!

I literally have an entire file on my computer just on hypertufa. I need to just do it like pepper said. I've been thinking about it long enough.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2007
9:55 AM

Post #3404369

Wrightie-
Not to change the subject back too quickly, but just getting back on here...

I envision your dispenser on top of a decorative plant stand.

Keep in mind before you do anything, that the drips need to be *just the right height* for making a nice sound.

I experimented with just an upside down 2liter bottle (that I'd screwed a sport top on the end of, so I'd have greater control of drip speed/amount) and found that when I first hung it, it didn't make a sound. I then raised it and lowered it, until it made just the right sound.

You may want to play a bit with yours, first, to figure out how tall you need it before you make or buy something for it...just a thought.
:0)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #4006391

Eq, you EVER get around to doing any of the hyperturfa stuff? I'm dying to make a leaf one and yesterday I saw a family with a HUGE ruburb plant... I think I'm getting closer to "lift off" on this project!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #4006393

Wrightie, did you ever get your bird waterer (is THAT right?? lol) made with that cool find of yours? Post a pic, I'd love to see it!
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #4006414

There are some great threads on the hypertufa and concrete forum about working with hypertufa and specifically about casting leaves that you would enjoy. Wrightie, that pottery thing is way cool!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4006666

the drip systems are very simple to put together. they come in a kit or you can buy ala carte, the pieces you need. If you need a timer, there are simple ones to ones that have many programs. the programmable operate on 4 aa batteries. they supposedly last about 6 mo.the timer screws onto the faucet first. then you have 1/2" black tube that you put through fitting that screws into timer or directly into faucet. you take the end of the tube and place it through a 2 circle plastic fixture that essentially folds it like you would a hose to stop the water. to branch off with water lines from the mainline black 1/2" is a small 1/4" flexible hose. you use this little plastic tool that looks like a sharp pencil. it pokes a hole into black 1/2" mainline. A small plastic fitting goes into the 1/4" tube with the other end that snaps into your hole on the 1/2"mainline. the other end of the 1/4" flexible tube has the "emitter" of your choice. spray, drip, 1 gal per hr, 2gph, 180 deg spray, 1/4 turn spray, etc. whatever you choose. they also have "goof" plugs to patch holes in 1/2" mainline if you say go from 10, 1/4" lines to 5. u plug 5 unused holes. very simple.There are other optional items like pressure regulators, filters etc. but they all just screw in like you would screw in a hose to a faucett.
'
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #4006685

LOL - I have had a disasterous year, so that project is still in waiting -- sorry to dissapoint!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #4006854

Oh SURE... easy for you say Len!!! I think based on your description that it is one of those projects that I enlist the help of the hubby if I ever get that far! But thanks for trying to educate me on the simplicity of the job!
Equilibrium

September 23, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #4006910

[quote] the drip systems are very simple to put together. they come in a kit or you can buy ala carte, the pieces you need. [/quote] Does a rental husband come with the kit to help us with assembly? Just curious as what you described isn't sounding all that simple to me. I sit around here and struggle with those Erector set kits for kids aged 12+ because pieces always seem to be missing and then some roll off the table never to be found again. I think I'd have to pass on creating my own drip system. Somehow I get this vision of disconnected 1/4 inch hoses splurting out water all over the place when I screw up assembly. I thought you could be the drip systems already assembled?
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #4006980

I had to buy one cause i bought 45 bands of roses that i had to pot and water. I was dreading it. I'm getting to the age that i don't want to have to concentrate and study instructions to assemble something. But it did surprise me how easy it was. I generally don't buy anything anymore that you have to assemble. I bought a garden wagon only because they had a display model already assembled and let me buy that one, so i bought it. lol I have to tear out the foreign language instructions before i even get started because i will study them for 5 min before i decide it's the wrong language, and keep refering to the wrong language ones.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #4007025

" i will study them for 5 min before i decide it's the wrong language, and keep refering to the wrong language ones." OK, NOW I feel better Len!! Thanks, I was beginning to feel very inadequate for NOT being able/willing to follow your instructions.
Equilibrium

September 23, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #4007032

Don't you hate that when they include so many other languages that the directions end up being 10x as thick as what they should be. I definitely don't like to concentrate and study directions either and I long ago learned to ask if the display model was available for sale. Most are if its toward the end of the season.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4007035

I can see I have been missing out on a GREAT opportunity here.. note to self, ASK for display model!!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4007036

what language do you speak psyche??lol!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #4007040

LOL.. English normally... or psycho-babble when necessary!!!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #4007042

if you get the display model you don't have to dispose of all the trash and boxes that comes with the product either!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #4007045

aha a psychologist!!lol yes that is a different language.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4007085

Actually, a classmate and I were critized for NOT using the "proper technical language". We content that since we need to communicate with the public a WHOLE lot more than other professionals, why not use the language the public can understand??? That did not win us points with the professors/professionals!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #4007134

you mean like "crazy" for obsessive-compulsive? lol!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #4009025

Yes, kinda!! Of course I KNOW a lot of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) people hanging out in this DG crowd!! Personally if your obsession is plants and flowers, I think you are "normal" and have a healthy does of "interests". How is that for denial and rationalization??
Equilibrium

September 24, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4009973

[quote] Personally if your obsession is plants and flowers, I think you are "normal" and have a healthy does of "interests". How is that for denial and rationalization?? [/quote] Oh my, I'll have to share this one with my husband. A healthy dose of interests is what I have? Good that someone put a name to that. I've been waiting a long time for somebody in the know to come along to toss a label on me.

Everyone together now-
"We don't have a problem"
"It's everyone else who has a problem"
"We know we don't have a problem because we can quit plants any time we want"

Now, off to order some more plugs for delivery next spring for around my stepping stones. Psst... bought another water feature for my birds earlier this season already. No assembly required!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #4010010

lol what did you buy?
Equilibrium

September 24, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #4010047

Another concrete birdbath. A big one. They delivered it here and put the base down then set the basin on top of the base. Didn't have to do a thing other than to tell them where I wanted it.

One of these days I'll get around to a drip something or other.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #4010292

EQ, my cement molds have been found so now I can "go get them" and begin the enjoyable task of making more benches, bird baths and stepping stones!! Yahooooo...
I have missed that little hobby!
Equilibrium

September 24, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #4010451

Oh baby! I am so glad they found those. You had the expensive professional type that were a couple hundred dollars a piece right? How long until you set up shop?

Hey wait a minute. I thought you were going with flagstone for your path not stepping stones?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2007
3:45 AM

Post #4010528

Mine are not "professional" but I do have about $300 total wrapped up in all the molds. They are back in Walla Walla, WA, about 260 miles from here. I will make arrangements to pick them up the next time I'm headed "home" to visit family in Tri-Cities (about 300 miles). I generally go about once a month. I won't set up shop per se, I will just make some benches, etc for enjoyment and sharing.

And yes, I would still like to make a flagstone path at some point. The stepping stones are still fun to make, they make great thank you gifts for me to share with other gardeners and I might "make due" with them until I have the money to do flagstone.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #4010560

I broke down in the spring and purchased one of the water dripper hose kits. Not only have the birds enjoyed it, but I've used it to water my pots by moving it around during the day while it slowly mists water on to the dirt. So much easier than the hose, and no plants were harmed by the force of water. Earlier this month when the hummingbirds were very active here, they would fly back and forth through the mist. Now that was worth the cost! I found it online cheaper than at the store, and put it together myself, so it isn't hard! It is very light weight, so I've had the added benefit of not lugging around and rolling the hose. Cathy

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2008
10:18 AM

Post #4749702

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to revisit it.

I've never been able to find something as cool as Wrightie did, but have been looking for just the right thing.

I got the Sam club catalog in the mail yesterday,and voila! I think I found my dripper!

If you go onto this page, you can zoom in on "A". It is a glass beverage dispenser, and has the right kind of spigot, to regulate to a drip...may be going to Sams today!

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=11499#1%20NOHREF

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM
Need Your Point of View Please!! gapeahen 81 Feb 16, 2008 7:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America