Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Hardy mini-Fuchsia

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 15, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2729853

I have had troubles ID'ing this Fuchsia. The bloom is what I know as "hot pink", the blooms are very small and open, bloom and finish with the same colour. The leaves are very small with slight serration. The stems can go 3'. Forestfarms and Heronswood call it F. encliandra 'Isis', I contacted a Fuchsia expert who called it F. 'Lottie Hobby' and in the Random House book, Indoor and Greenhouse plants - F. microphylla ssp. microphylla.

Thumbnail by growin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pawny
San Leandro, CA

September 16, 2006
9:20 PM

Post #2730162

I have one, love it by the way, and it was called Fuchsia thymifolia.

:-)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2006
9:23 PM

Post #2730172

I had F. thymifolia too and this doesn't look quite like mine.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2730255

There seems to be soooo much confusion on the hardy fuchsias, especially these minis. Well, I did a google image search and the plant looks identical to the plants I mentioned in the same google search. Another name to add to the list.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #2739298

ecrane3, what's the difference between your F. thymifolia and this one? I'm trying to eliminate atleast 1 of the 3 names I have.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2006
7:34 PM

Post #2739771

I moved so I don't have the plant anymore--I'll check my pics when I get home tonight and see if I can post one for comparison. I think the leaves were a bit smaller relative to the size of the flowers, and I also don't remember the serration on the edges.
Baa

September 23, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2750697

Err it could be F. x bacillaris too, not that you needed another name to throw into the mix there :) Just saying it's an Encliandra type isn't going to be very helpful to you is it!

I did look for a photo of my F. x bacillaris and I think there is a not very good image of mine on the Lottie Hobby entry but they wouldn't have been of any help to you as the photos generally look very similar anyway on the Encliandra types.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2750835

Baa do these have seed?
cg

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #2750973

Baa, one of the names I have is 'Lottie Hobby' - is that a synonym of F. x bacillaris? I wonder if there's an Encliandra expert out there. I think there's a whole bunch of confusion in what to call these. The slight serration in the leaf, the height to 3' seem to stand out and this one doesn't change colour in the bloom.
Baa

September 23, 2006
10:58 AM

Post #2751427

Cegoins

Yes all Fuchsia produce fruit although germinating the seed is something of a hit and miss affair. It seems to me that everyone who succeeds has their own method that works for them. They are far easier from cuttings in my opinion.

Growin :)

Lottie Hobby and x bacillaris are separate plants, just similar in appearance. Trevor Strickland is the name that comes to mind when thinking of Encliandra experts although this is the only contact I could find for him http://www.findthatfuchsia.info/tre.htm, you might also like to try Jack Lamb who is one of the National Collection holders for fuchsia species http://www.jacklamb.free-online.co.uk/ I've no prior contact with either of them so best of British and all that :)

Edited to add contact details

This message was edited Sep 23, 2006 11:05 AM
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2006
12:22 PM

Post #2756963

Hi all.

I think I have this Fuchsia in a pot on the patio, i'll just get the lable
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2006
12:28 PM

Post #2756973

Yup, I think this is it. The flower and the leaves are the same.

This is what it says on the label

Bush Fuchsia 'Ariel'
Single.
Tube and sepals magenta.
Corolla deep magenta pink
Small flowers.
Needs winter protection.

I purchased this and another one that has pink and white flowers, from a local nursery www.victoriana.ws that seems to specialize in Fuchsia's.

Hope this helps

Steve
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2757097

I wouldn't say it was F Ariel, look at this pic, it has serrated leaves but the serrations are very close. The flowers are also a different colour, and form.

http://www.duchyofcornwallnursery.co.uk/plantshop_ext.asp?plid=391750&ptid=12&_page=1&sL=

I would think the ID 'Isis' provided by Forestfarms and Heronswood is the correct one, the leaves have the 'holly' serrated look.

The bud and flower shape, colour all look to match, and I can see to the right a reddish new stem behind the front one on the right. This pic is perhaps not the best one, but there is a lack of pics around.

http://www.heronswood.com/store.php?orderNumber=246565807&category=1224&row=Perennials%20%20F%20to%20H&subcat=Fuchsia

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2006
5:14 PM

Post #2757655

I looked through the pics on findthatfuchsia.info and noticed 'Isis' is a single and I've got a double or semi-double. The 'Ariel' is a much darker red and appears to be a larger bloom. I guess if I have a semi-double, it couldn't be F. microphylla ssp. microphylla. I think some of the nurseries are just as confused on the ID. This Fuchsia can be seen in landscapes around town.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2006
5:38 PM

Post #2757720

growin, do you mean the little tepals near the corolla as being double? To be double the corolla itself should have more than one layer of petals.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2757801

Now that I take a closer look, the corolla is flared outwards giving me the impression it was a double. I also notice a slightly lighter pink on the corolla.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America