Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Woodworking: Is this a lost cause or can I possibly save it?

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 7, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rikkashay
West Portsmouth, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2006
8:08 PM

Post #2729972

I really want to save this table and didn't know the legs were in such bad shape until I turned it over. It had sat in our barn on the dirt floor for several years. From the outside, the legs didn't look that bad, then I turned it over. Ugh! Still, I'd like to try to save it. The rest of the table is in excellent condition. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Rikkashay
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rikkashay
West Portsmouth, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2729983

This is another picture of the same table from another angle. Thanks for looking.

Thumbnail by Rikkashay

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2006
12:54 AM

Post #2730775

One method would be to fill the voids with epoxy and sand/file/grind the cured epoxy down to size. Mixing sawdust with the epoxy would make it more viscous and easier to mold as well as 'camouflaging' the clear resin.
Rikkashay
West Portsmouth, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #2736137

First I need to say that I'm sanding the whole table down to bare wood. I've done the top already using steel wool. (took two days) It'll probably take me weeks to do the rest. My husband bought me a little mouse sander, but even those things don't get into the tight places. Will the epoxy mixed with sawdust accept a stain, or will I probably have to paint the table :o( I've done other stuff, but most of it was straight and I could use paint stripper or a sander. I never had to repair anything before. This one's a challenge but I think it's a fun project.

Thumbnail by Rikkashay

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2006
9:33 PM

Post #2736692

I don't think the epoxy/sawdust mix would accept a stain, but I've only painted it and have no experience trying to stain it. It appeared the decay was on the bottom of the legs and as such should not be very visible while in use. Good luck. The stool next to the table is cool.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2738852

This product looks interesting.
http://www.keypolymer.com/wood-restoration.htm
Rikkashay
West Portsmouth, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2006
6:34 PM

Post #2739592

Balvenie,Thanks about the stool. It's made from the crotch of a sycamore tree trunk and a disc cut from part of another limb cured for a couple of years. I've made three of them just for small plant stands or just to hold a cup of coffee or can of soda while I work. I made one from a maple tree and it's really nice because of the hardwood, and the third is from cherry. It's really pretty. I kept the bark on all of them. They make a nice conversation piece.

Jim brought home my supplies last night and I'm going to start it tonight after the grandbabies go home. The damage is so far near the bottom and under the legs that it won't really matter if it stains or not. You're right.
Rikkashay
West Portsmouth, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2006
6:45 PM

Post #2739633

raisedbedbob, I checked out the hyperlink and liked what I saw. Thanks! I requested a catalog and can hardly wait until it comes. I read that their stuff is stainable. I have another chair in the barn that I want to try and it has a little more damage, but I was afraid to tacke it. I'm glad I haven't thrown it out already.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America