Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: george foreman grill worth it?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 35, Views: 440
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terracotta
Santa Barbara County, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2740251

About a year and a half ago my sis gave me a George Foreman grill she used once (it's the original one; nothing fancy). I've looked up info online about it, but would also like to hear what DGers think about this grill. How do you use it? What types of foods do you cook on it? (Although DH is a meat eater, I'd prefer to grill veggies -- do they really turn out good on this grill?) Why is it handier than the stovetop/broiler? Is it truly easy to clean? Does it smoke up or grease up your kitchen?

Looking forward to your responses, since I haven't even opened the box. If I hear back positive things, I'll give it a try; otherwise I'll donate it to a charity.

Thanks!
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2006
4:30 PM

Post #2742396

Terracotta, I have used the old fashioned GF Grill and it's ok but not great, in my opinion. It might work for grilled veggies but not really for steaks. The reason: The heavy top tends to press all the juice out of the meat and the fat around the edges doesn't brown well. In addition, the real taste of meats is in the browning and the GF just doesn't do that great a job of browning unless you cook the life out of a steak. I use a cast iron skillet for steaks and cook when the temp of the skillet reaches 400 deg. F. I brown and cook the steaks for about 3 to 4 mins per side after very lightly coating steaks w/oil (abt. 1t per side + salt and pepper). This will cook steak to medium depending on how long you have left it out of the fridge to get the chill off.
This has been my experience.

Ann

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2006
5:53 AM

Post #2744769

TerraCotta, we have a small GF Grill & the only thing that I use it for is hamburgers. I've tried other things on it like fish & steaks but just overcooked them terribly but really do like it for hamburgers, one at a time...I overnite it with a wet paper towel closed between the two layers & use a plastic pad with a bit of soap in the morning, rinse with the sprayer over the sink & done...I wouldn't buy another but this was given as a gift so I keep it...Deb
grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2745894

DH & I like ours. It is used mainly for burgers and chicken breasts. We have used it for salmon with good results. The salmon skin sticks to the grill, but that's okay with me, saves me the trouble of taking the skin off. My daughter uses hers mostly for grilled cheese sandwiches and the kids like them-a lot !! . Follow the recommended cooking times. We think it does a nice job when it is too nasty to grill outside. A BIG plus: no grease spatters all over the stove and countertop.
To clean it, I take it to the edge of the sink so that the drip 'lip' hangs over and use a soapy dishcloth and, if necessary, a net scrubby.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2006
5:07 PM

Post #2745903

I 'just had to' have one, so it came to me as a present. I have used it for burgers, it did okay. Also, I've sliced sweet potatoes w/a little butter and cooked that. They worked okay, too. It's good for someone who is really watching fat intake. You can cook stuff w/o much oil.

It's easy to clean, but I'll be honest. I haven't used it after the initial three or four times...
oldklingon
Olney Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2006
2:39 PM

Post #2754555

I really like ours, especially when I'm batcheloring it at home. (when the wife's away, the hubby can play). The thing I like about it is I can grab a frozen (boneless) steak or burger patty out of the freezer and slap it into the g/f and real quick I'm eating.
Even tried tuna fish patties in it once for me and son, came out ok, abit dry, but wayyyy to many diced chiles that time.
I dispise doing dishes and I don't mind cleaning it, so I'd rate it easy to clean.
Doesn't heat up the kitchen or set off the smoke alarm either. LOL.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2006
11:48 PM

Post #2764703

I have a Hamilton Beach version of the grill and I love it! I've done both veggies and meat on it. The new ones (my first one died, so I bought a new one last month) have removable grills (YAYY!) that can go in the dishwasher (also YAYY!) so it's even easier to clean. :-)

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2006
10:24 PM

Post #2770928

I tried doing all sorts of things on my GF grill. From grilled cheese sandwich to burgers, to fish to chicken breast to cubed pork cutlets, bacon... you name it.

The ONLY thing it does better than using a skillet or the oven or what ever is... cornmeal mush. You just can't beat it for that if you like your mush cooked well done and slightly crispy. Slice the mush thick enough so it will hit both sides of the grill, or it won't work as well.

It is also pretty good at a hot dog stuffed with kraut and wrapped with partly cooked bacon... It's easier to do in George because on a regular grill it's to hard to keep them from coming apart and kraut going everywhere.

I would rather not have a burger than eat one out of George. Yuck.

But, it's KILLER for cornmeal mush. That is the only reason it has any cupboard space in my house. LOL.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2780812

I don't like 'counter clutter' and the only appliance that I use regularly is my crock pot. DH keeps asking if we need a GF Grill and I keep telling him no...we have a wonderful collection of 75 year old cast iron that is properly seasoned. Glad to hear that my instincts were right and my feelings about another 'thing that cooks' have been supported.

Next time he asks, I'll show him this thread.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2791932

We also have great old seasoned cast iron, which can't be beat, as well as tinned copper, new non-stick stuff AND a George. I really like George because: easy to clean; non-stick; drip container; smoke and spatter-less, and does a decent all-around job. We like it for toasted sandwiches, have done steak (OK), fish(be watchfull) and brots. It has its place, as does the crock-pot, electric skillet, waffle iron, double boiler
and all the other accessories.
Try it Terracotta, you might like it, and if you don't, Goodwill probably would. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2006
12:50 AM

Post #2792631

Pork cutlets and a sprinkle of Cavendar's Greek Seasoning in your George Foreman.

Wow!

Chicken breast slightly flattened so the lid will stay shut. Again with the Cavendars.

MMM!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2006
3:44 PM

Post #2800162

I haven't used mine in months. But I do like crispy mush, so I need to give that a try.

Actually, I don't think they're that easy to clean. You have to be sure you don't miss spots around the edges. I clean and clean and keep getting stuff off; seems like it takes forever.

To me it's a lot easier just to put a skillet on the stove than to drag out an appliance that's more gimmick than convenience.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 9, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2800242

I agree that meat from an iron pan is better. The foreman is convenient for some things, but with large cuts of meat the top doesn't really make enough contact to cook well.

One tip for cleaning a Foreman that a friend taught me: As soon as you're done UNPLUG it. Then immediately soak and squeeze out about three layers of paper towels. Spread the damp paper towels out to cover inside the grill and then close it. After your meal you will be able to wipe it clean very easily.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2006 12:26 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2800269

I do that with my Hamilton Beach grill, too, and it works great. If you forget to do it immediately, you can heat the grill back up again and then put the wet paper towels in there. :-)
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #2801578

I didn't care for mine and gave it away. It was awful to clean. I had splatter go out the back side and get all over the cord cover and the hinges. I like how my steaks turn out in my stainless steel pan-sear for crust then into the oven to finish. If I were to get another counter top grill, it would have to have removable griddles so I felt I was really getting them clean.
You should play with it and see what works and doesn't work for you and your family. The clean up for me was a pain:)
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
5:59 AM

Post #2809381

I like to make Reubens in mine.
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2006
6:29 PM

Post #2872460

I was given one as a gift and used it twice. I thought it too much trouble and a pain to clean. It's in a cupboard where it has been for several years. Can't believe i will ever use it again.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2006
2:08 AM

Post #2892888

After your meat cooks, simply move the grill next to the sink,
use a soggy washcloth wadded so you don't burn your fingers,
and wipe. The steam and hot water rolls the ick right off the
cooker. Rinse the cloth, do it again, it takes but a few wipes
and it's clean. Unplug and put away clean.

It's not a pain unless you let the crusty stuff dry and turn cold
on it. Clean it while it is hot and it's a breeze.

:-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2892891

I did Oscar Mayer cheese hot dogs in mine Saturday.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

November 8, 2006
8:05 PM

Post #2895065

I don't care for mine either. Just a matter of preference, I guess. Love my iron cook ware and stainless steel!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2895091

We love ours. Have had it at least 8 years. We cook hamburgers on it like some of the others - but we mainly cook french toast, grilled cheese and lately we have been cooking biscuits on it. My dh puts a bolted screw on the sides to prop the top up a bit and it quickly cooks the biscuits just like we want them. (they may not be pretty and fluffy) - but they are quick.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2895820

I'm going to try the biscuits. That would save running the oven for 12 little pieces of bread. Thanks!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2006
9:35 PM

Post #2902249

|Don't care for them.. The food is not grilled..It seems more steamed or whatever...Good, properly seasoned cast iron is the ultimate.. I have a collection of about 35+ pieces..Most were my Mama's and many from my grandmother's family.. I have had them for 33 years now..They are old and treasured..

Larkie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2902485

N2birds, were they homemade or tube biscuits?

Larkie, you are so lucky. What sort of pieces do you have? I have 2 cast iron skillets. I need more!
felix52
Dublin, OH

March 28, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4721570

I use a large, thick sponge. Fill it with soapy water, put it in the grill, and let the plates soak. Cleaning the grill is pretty easy after 15 minutes.
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

March 28, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #4722402

I have one that was a present a few years back, I really don't like it. The coating started comming off after just a short time, and if you don't clean it imediately while it is hot it is a mess. I too like my cast iron and would just rather stick with it. just MO
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

March 30, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #4728473

I have decided to buy one...saw one used today where the grills come off to wash and no odor. I love grilling vegies and firing up the grill just for the two of us is silly.

Nice comments from everyone.

Carol
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

March 30, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #4729662

The ones that the grills come off would certainly be a plus. The older ones are a pain to clean.
KelliLVN
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4808972

I was given one as a going away present when I left my last job. We use it 4-5 times a week. Mostly cook hot dogs and link sausage on them. I have cooked hamburgers, frozen chicken breasts, and pork chops. I love cooking hamburgers on the GF Grill...just put them in there and close the top, and about 10 min later they are ready. With 4 kids I'm just glad that I don't have to hover over a hot skillet and try to listen and make use the kids are behavin' themselves. Mine has the removeable grills...usually after they cool down I'll either wash them in the sink or put them in the dishwasher.
Rumble40
Van Nuys, CA

June 24, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5152793

The GF Grill is a staple in any college dorm room around the country. It makes grilling so easy i couldnt imagine not having one.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5152815

We love ours. We are just glad we have the removable plates for cleaning.
Heidillyho
Stanwood, IA

June 25, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #5155609

I like mine okay, but Larkie is right...the food isn't really grilled..just steamed with some scorch marks. I still think it's pretty convenient, and I use mine mostly in the summer when I don't want the heat up the kitchen and I don't want to fight mosquitos on the patio.
I cook just about everything on mine: vegetables and fish are two things we do a LOT of on it. I buy the frozen fillets of haddock, salmon or whatever else is on sale, throw some Mrs. Dash on the frozen fillet and throw in the grill for a few minutes alongside some thick zucchini and mushroom slices for a really quick and easy lunch, or light supper.
I don't think it's that bad to clean up, and I don't have one with removable plates either. I just slide it over to the sink and use the sponge on the hot grill. If it gets cold before I get a chance to clean it, I stick a soapy wet washcloth in it and plug it in for a few minutes and let the crud steam off it.
An actual grill does a much better job, but for quick and easy the foreman grill is okay.
annsrose
Spring, TX

July 1, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5188340

I love mine also, I have had two so far, the one without the removeable plates and that was so hard to clean , that when the new ones came out with removeable plates I went out and bought one. I love the removable plates. I love to do veggies and burgers , chicken and especially asparagus. Although I have a variety of electric appliances that I donot use the George foreman grill as often as I should. But when I do use it I do enjoy the easy clean up.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5188529

A quick way to do burgers is buy a pound of ground beef, put it on the grill as is, smash it hard by putting a good bit of pressure on the top plate, cook and season to taste, cut the extra large hamburger steak into quarters and serve on buns. No more patties to make.
annsrose
Spring, TX

April 21, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6444348

wow , I just had to update my note. I now went out and purchase the GF indoor/outdoor grill and I love it even better than the table type. To me it is more like a regular grill. I use this one all the time. The table top one just sits in the cabinet. This one is really easy to clean and of course it has the huge dome top , more like a regular bbque type grills. I have cooked every thing in it, , chicken , fish, steak, potatoes and veggies. You can take it outside , but I just keep it in my spare bed room on the stand and bring into the kitchen when I am going to use it. I have a regular charcoal smoker for the outside , so I do not mess with taking it outside.
cushman
manchester
United Kingdom

May 15, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6550677

Definitely worth it. You could always save some dough by buying something cheaper, but i think in the end the fun you'll have with the GF will make up for its price. a must have for any one who loves to cook! i just can't imagine not having one in my home.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America