Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rock and Alpine Gardening: Dictionary of Botanical Epithets

Communities > Forums > Rock and Alpine Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rock and Alpine GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 20, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2740686

Just tootling around the internet today, and I found this:
http://www.winternet.com/~chuckg/dictionary.html
I think it is the most extensive dictionary I've seen as it includes the grammatical usage in botanical Latin (for those of us interested >>> me).

And HERE'S the BIG KICKER: Chuck Griffith, the author, is a rock gardener! But wait, there's more:

Chuck is a friend and long time member of our Minnesota Chapter of NARGS ! He is just full of surprises. I am embarrassed not to have known about this, but he's going to get a write up in our next newsletter, that's for sure.

Rick

P.S. I'll see about him adding "labelus" to the listing. LOL

Edited to fix hyperlink

This message was edited Sep 23, 2006 8:52 AM
Baa

September 23, 2006
12:35 AM

Post #2750585

It is a great site (your link took me back to DG but I know the site you're talking about) however I still think our Botanary is the best around at over 16,000 entries and growing! We went live with just about 6,300 entries a few short years ago ;)
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 23, 2006
2:34 PM

Post #2751736

Okay, fixed the hyperlink - thanks Baa. Your Botanary is truely a massive undertaking and DEFINITELY far more extensive, but different. For people like me with a language fetish, I still like Chuck Griffith's, too. But for the most part, I would have to agree that Botanary is the way to go.

Anyone else have a good sites to share?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2006
12:35 AM

Post #2755950

It's fun to have some understanding of the etymology and meaning of the names, especially where it's a physical description. That's a great site!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rock and Alpine Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
New hillside garden Tammy 88 Jul 27, 2010 6:54 AM
A arisaema sikokianum seedling Tammy 12 May 23, 2007 1:14 AM
Merry Christmas Galanthophile 40 Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM
NARGS Seed Exchange! Tammy 67 Mar 13, 2007 7:08 AM
Hydrogen peroxide for germination taramark 6 Mar 5, 2007 10:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America