Photo by Melody

Southwest Gardening: African Poinsettia - Drought Tolerant!

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 247
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2740687

I had 4 neighbors ask about the 2 potted plants by my front door last month for my b'day bash. They all wanted to know about them. They're extremely drought tolerant. I planted them last year when only about a foot tall or so in an 8" pot. I have them in full shade and they love it. I had to stake this one due to monsoon conditions to get it upright again. Thought I'd shar this find with y'all. Here's what the container sticker said:

8” Synadenium grantii “Rubra” “African Poinsettia”

Grows quickly to 4”+ with much branching. Great for landscapes.

Drought and heat tolerant. Water thoroughly when dry. Full Sun.

Same family as Euphorbias.

Thumbnail by azrobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

September 20, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2740704

Love the color! You forgot the most important thing!
WHERE DID YOU GET IT!
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2740749

Oh! Lowe's! It's in the succulant section. The green and red and pink combo wouldn't have you think it's what it is.
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
1:26 AM

Post #2740753

HD has it also, but rarely keep it in stock.
jimdaz
Phoenix, AZ

September 20, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2740763

Hey FK, The students at MetroTech propagate a lot of these plants. And sell them for very reasonable prices. The "Fall Festival" will be held there on Saturday, October 21st, and they will be selling Synadeniums. Both the red ones and green ones. If you want it before then, Dmail me, as they welcome visitors ... and shoppers. And you would be supporting a great special ed program.
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2740788

Propagate? Isn't this one considered poisonous? In any case, I'd be interessted, I'll Dmail you tomorrow.
MingTea
Tucson, AZ

September 20, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2741145

when i was in my small college town in oregon, the all green S. grantii was being circulated as a "cocaine plant." silly people were chewing the leaves and giving themselves anywhere from a numb mouth to sores. some people even had really adverse reactions from the milky sap touching the skin on their arms. it's a great plant (yours looks fabulous!), though, and i was reading somewhere that it used to be a whole lot more popular in the 50s...wonder why it ever fell out of favor?

-ming
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
11:20 AM

Post #2741636

I love this plant too and have one myself. Don't believe the full sun part. I left mine for just a few minutes in the sun and some leaves now have a bleached look. It's a neat plant.

Jim, looking forward to the MetroTech Fall Festival, this will be our 3rd year and we always find some really cool stuff there.
KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2741947

Saw it at Target yesterday but did not look at the price.
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2741975

I had this plant for many years. I do not have it in the ground but in a pot.
It is very easy to propagate from cuttings and I brought several of them at the swaps. Mine is probably 6 feet tall and it sits on the screened patio with additional shade from several vines. I did not try to grow it in the full sun.
They are frost sensitive and they loose all their leaves at winter time only to grow bigger and better in spring.
They are suppose to bloom with little yellow flowers but mine never did.
I love it for it's color and for it's form.

Good gardening

Rodica
pheitmeyer
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
7:35 PM

Post #2742964

Pretty plant, nice foliage. Not much shade in my garden though, and my patio is full.
gardenguyaz
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2743097

I'm going to stop by Lowes on the way home and look for one...Such a beautiful day, who wants to go home after work. More fun to hop som nurseries ;)

Alan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America