Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: when to fertilize cuttings

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 5, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2001
3:02 AM

Post #9213

I have all these wonderful babies, now when do they start eating and how much? Full strength or do I dilute it?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 25, 2001
3:29 AM

Post #99898

Depending on how much water your soil retains, etc-but as a general rule-don't fertilize them heavy until the roots are formed. Go heavy on the last two and light on the first one-ie...0-5-5 for a few days or 0-10-10 even. Still, I wouldn't worry about fertilizer with cuttings or even watering for that matter unless the soil drains very fast. The faster the soil drains the faster roots will form and the less chance of rot...of course one must water more to compensate. When in doubt, follow what the plant tells you. If the leaves are wilting water, if the leaves are not wilting then don't water. If the leaves are wilting and the stem is going soft, chances are its been overwatered for several days already. Once a Brugmansia has formed a good callous one can be more generous with the water and the fertilizer. #1 cause of death among Brugmansia are people trying to baby them. Listen, don't baby.
Hope this helps,
Brugmansia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2001
3:31 AM

Post #99899

yes, that helps. Now, can you go to the id forum and identify brugcrazy's baby for us all???
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2001
3:40 AM

Post #99902

Yes, Brugmansia, please go to the ID forum because I sent you one and it's apparently in Post Office heaven. Sending another tomorrow.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2001
4:12 AM

Post #99913

so sorry, how rude of me, I didn't say please!!! Please, sir?
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2001
5:15 AM

Post #99935

Nice to have Liz and tiG doing all my work for me. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America