Photo by Melody

Beauty and Fashion Tips: Anyone have a "sure fire" method of fading Sun Spots?

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 28, Views: 618
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2006
11:54 PM

Post #2743656

You noticed I didn't call them "age spots" but I guess that is what they are too.

I have an omeba shaped age spot on my cheek from spending too much time in the sun when I was younger. "Oh, the dumb things we did... Anyway, I am so tired of people telling me I have dirt on my face and I am too embarressed usually to tell them what it really is. Is there a product out there that will fad these darn things or is all hope lost? :(

Don
joepyeweed
Peoria, IL

September 27, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2763392

Mary Kay Timewise Even Complexion Essence - definitely works...

I don't have age spots but my Mom and my SIL have definitely reduced the color of their spots by using this product.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2006
4:50 PM

Post #2763472

Does this work on hands as well as face? I have a few tiny ones just starting and would like to stop them in their tracks. Using sun block on our hands is something we tend to forget.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2006
4:58 PM

Post #2763493

Thanks joepyeweed. I'll give that a try.

Don
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 24, 2006
12:06 PM

Post #2845191

Hi everybody,

New here, but like the ideas I've seen so far.

june-nmexico - not sure if Mary Kay Timewise Even Complexion Essence works on hands, actually never thought of trying that. But now that you mention it I intend to. I do use it on my face and neck (yup, sun damage here too from being a silly kid) and it really does work. A little goes a long way.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2006
2:54 AM

Post #2944232

I once heard that lemon juice applied daily also bleaches them out. Never tried it, so don't know for sure. But can't hurt to try it, it's cheap enough.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2006
1:55 PM

Post #2944898

Thanks Peggy. Why not? Sounds reasonable and as you mentioned, cheap enough.

Don
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2006
6:33 AM

Post #2984014

Go to Wal Mart auto section. Get a jar of GOJO pumice hand cleanser. Since I started using it on my face and neck and hands 2 mos. ago, my adult acne has cleared up, my pores are smaller, my skin is brighter, dark spots on my cheeks are fading and fine lines have all but disappeared. I wash my face and neck with GOJO every 3 days. Wash the backs of my hands with it every night. My spots are lightening up. I can't believe that it works as well as it does. My legs chap in the winter, so used GOJO on them - no more chapped legs. Just smooth, soft skin. My husband uses it on his elbows. Several ladies at church asked me if I had a peel and I told them about GOJO. They are now using it. I am 64 and wish I had discovered this yrs. ago. If anyone tries it and it makes a difference I would be interested in know. Please send me a d-mail. Thanks. LIZ
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2006
11:31 AM

Post #2984211

Hey Liz! Who knew? Great tip, thanks. I am going down to my nearest Wallymart and get some today! I guess it works as a exfolient of sorts. Why not?

Don
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2006
3:03 PM

Post #2984799

What seems to make them "disappear" is the skin in that area being exfoliated. I've read that both aloe vera gel (which apparently heals) and lemon juice (AHA) work. I'm going to try both, maybe on different spots to see which works. And maybe GOJO on another. lol
serenity4
Grabill, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2007
5:38 AM

Post #3151785

I have tried a bleaching product in the past from Avon. It is a cream and in a jar. It works quite well. Use it faithfully and I think you will notice the age spot getting lighter and lighter. I do not notice mine anymore. Be sure to notice the expiration date because the product does turn dark around the expiration time and I just threw it out. LOL.
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3154966

The age spot on my left cheek has just about disappeared altogether. The one on my right temple is fading fast. I just use the GOJO every 3 days. Also the spots on my hands are getting lighter. Wish I had taken pixs of them as proof. LIZ
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #4695803

Just came upon this thread and went to WalMart to buy GoJo. I found that it is being discontinued in our store and it was on the markdown rack in the Auto dept. I bought two 64oz pump containers for $2 a piece. It smells like oranges!

Only tried it on my hands so far--and they are very smooth. I'll be watching the spots fade, I hope.

Thanks for the tip!

Nancy
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 2, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #4896898

There used to be a product called Porcelana...it was a fine cream of porcelain clay which really worked. My dermatologist told me about it about 30 years ago. Has anyone seen it?
latelybloomin77
Kilgore, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #4896928

I've heard of Porcelana. But I don't ever see it anymore. But yeah about 25-30 years ago! Can u still buy it?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 2, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #4897107

I am going to look in WalMart today.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4899089

Found porcelena here...
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=31668&aid=336064&aparam=porcelena&scinit1=porcelena
I use this... http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=142221&catid=13549

It works
nancymk
Downingtown, PA

May 10, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4934147

Even Complexion Essence works on hands and face. The product is guarenteed. If you don't have a consultant you can get it from me-
www.marykay.com/nancysutherland
Boofish1
Sacramento, CA

May 13, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #4946705

I've had the "spot" problem off and on for years. The reason it was intermittent was that it was due to birth control pill usage. Even low-dose pills can cause melasma, and the spots (in my case, anyway) are on the face where there is sun exposure. Because of the other conveniences/benefits of the pill, I'll try it again every few years...but the discolorations always reoccur.

Even after I'm off the pill, the discolorations last 6 months- 1 year. I haven't found a decent skin treatment that helps.

This doesn't solve your problem, unfortunately - but it might help understand the cause of it if you are on the pill (or possibly other hormone treatments as well).

Val
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

June 5, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5055154

look for a fade cream, porcelana is one, another is I think made by Palmers - try CVS -
they need to contain 2% hydroquinone, that's what fades the dark spots
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2008
12:14 PM

Post #5062004

Even though this thread is super old...A visit to the dermatologist can determine the cause of the problem and suggest the best treatment. Some "age spots" are not just on the surface and exfoliating won't do a thing since the new cells are already pigmented.

Also a good time to get all those spots and moles documented for future changes and have precancerous spots frozen off.

-Kim

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5372725

i visit my dermatologist every year, faithfully. i get a full body inspection and there is always something that needs to be taken off or laser'ed or frozen. it's very important.

lol on the porcelana. i remember once years ago i came home from work with a present for my mom. i usually surprised her with something every friday after i cashed my paycheck. this particular day i bought her a jar of porcelana. she was not amused...lol
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5378771

track that is too funny! I can picture your Mom's face!! lol

I use porcelana pretty regularly and it works for me.

Lin

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5378948

i found that gojo stuff on amazon but before i order, i am going to check our local Napa store. i used to see it in all the automotive places.

yeah, she wasn't thrilled that i noticed her brown spots! lol
Kat60
Houston, TX

November 24, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5825992

Hey Ladies! Maybe I can rejuvenate a very old thread with some really good stuff in it! Thanks for your info. I am headed to the automotive store!

On a more pricey front, get a prescription from your derm for Triluma Creme. A tiny bit goes a long way. But it removes the age spots. Course, if you don't use sunscreen, etc, they reappear. By the t ime we are at age spot age nothing is one shot deal...ongoing treatment.

Triluma works.
superk
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6156479

Kat60, Im with you. Triluma, and I think another product is Lustra work. Along with a high SPF.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6230930

I have found a product that has faded the amoeba shaped spot on my cheek over several months. Olay Total Effects, 7-in-1 Anti-Aging daily moisturizer. I am very pleased as you can hardly see it at all anymore. ^_^
jmp24
Medford, NJ

April 29, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6479400

I would use a chemical exfoliant. The ones that work physically, such as scrubs with abrasive ingredients, may work well but are also damaging to the skin. You may see benefits in the beginning as you strip away old skin cells and the top layer, but long term use is not good. Using abrasive scrubs, esp on the face, is not something I would do more than once a week at the most.

Creams or lotions containing hydroquinine 2% will do the trick, again, long term use is not recommended. I use the products for a month or so, fade the marks, then discontinue for a while, until the marks show up again. You can buy it at any drug store, Porcelana is the most common one.

Sunflower1888
Manassas, VA

May 27, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6604143

I had good results with a product made by Palmer's called Skin Success. You have to apply it twice a day for several weeks but it does lighten the discolorations nicely. You can find it at Wal Mart, too. I'm going to check out the Gojo next time I'm in Wally World. My hands are starting to look like alligator paws. Maybe the Gojo will help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America