Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Portuguese Beans

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 17, Views: 196
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2006
4:26 PM

Post #2745803

For my Chat buddies and whoever likes a hearty cold-weather dinner! This recipe comes from the Mom of a childhood friend. She never saw a kid that could put away Portuguese Beans like me! Enjoy!

Karen :~D

Portuguese Beans

2 lb Dried Pinto Beans / clean and soak overnight
(May sub 3 large cans Pinto Beans, cooking in a
pot on the stove instead of using a Crock Pot)
1 Stick Linguisa, / cubed & cooked / save fat, set aside
2 medium size cans Tomato Sauce
1 medium size can Diced Tomatoes
1 lb ground Chuck
1 onion chopped
tsp Cinnamon
tsp Ground Cumin
2 cloves Garlic / chopped fine
Salt & Pepper to taste
Dash of Sugar

Cook beans in salted water (or soak overnight) per package instruction reserving liquid (if using canned beans, drain, reserving liquid aside). Fry cubed Linguisa until cooked, add ground Chuck, Onion and Garlic and continue until onions become soft. Place meat mixture and beans in large crock pot. Add tomato sauce, spices and sugar.

Cover and cook until beans are soft (all day in a crock pot with dried bean option, 45 minutes to an hour on stove with canned beans), stirring occasionally. Use reserved bean water and Linguisa fat if needed for moisture during cooking.

Serve with Green Salad, French bread and Red Wine!

NOTE: Please notice I added "or soak overnight" to the first paragraph...sorry for the omission

This message was edited Sep 22, 2006 10:02 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2745892

What's Linguisa? Like chorizo?
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2006
8:11 PM

Post #2746482

Linguisa is a spicy Portuguese garlic sausage. You can substitute chorizo (which is a Mexican chili sausage) if you can't find it, but they taste a little different. Don't worry about the "spicy" because the beans absorb so much of it. If you really don't like spicy things (to me Portguuese Beans isn't spicy though) you can sub kielbasa.

K
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2748015

K,

Thanks for the post...I love linguisa! If it has linguisa and garlic in it ..I want it. I will make this receipe this weekend. Have you made it with other kinds of beans?

Dan
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2006
11:18 AM

Post #2748238

This sounds yummy. I'm going to try to find linguisa in a local ethnic market today, wish me luck. : )
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2749181

Mine are in the crock pot cooking as we speak! Posting this recipe made me hungry for them! I'm going to go throw some ingredients at the breadmaker so we can have a "real homemade dinner" tonight! Cooler weather is what makes this recipe so good. My husband is in charge of Chili-making and this is my "Fall is here" contribution. Enjoy all!

K

Note to Dann,

I haven't made it with other kinds of beans because Pintos are so readily available here on the West Coast. You should have them where you live too, but if not, here's a link to an awesome website I found one day...Cook's Thesaurus... you can find most any ingredient there and they offer subs. Enjoy your meal! :~)

http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2749192

If you can't find lingusia in your local markets there are a number of linguisa recipes on the Internet...Google linguisa.

I make small batches of fresh linguisa for immediate use. Occasionally I'll make a little extra and freeze it for later use. When I do it this way, I leave out the cures and other ingredients that I don't feel are necessary because I don't dry cure or smoke it. Usually it involves mixing the diced pork and spices and refrigerate over night. Add the vinegar and/or red wine the following day.

I like linguisa from a good deli better but this is a decent substitue.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2006
5:29 PM

Post #2749252

Hi K,

Pinto beans are readily available everywhere in AZ. and are used frequently in Southwest cuisine. I was curious if you had tried using red or pink beans.

I understand not changing a long time favorite recipe. I have several myself that I wouldn't deviate from either. :o)

Dan
lauriwilson
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
1:32 PM

Post #2751616

Karen, I put these on after chat and the entire pot was gone that night. DS stopped by and wiped them out. They are a hit and fantastic...Thanks for sharing this will become a year round hit here...Lauri
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2752989

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! Ours are all gone too, gobbled up. Sometimes I make a double batch (all the way to just before it's placed in the pot), place 1/2 in the crock pot and put the rest in a gallon ziplock and freeze. Then, all I do for the next batch is dump it in the crock to cook all day. I am the ultimate lazy cook!

While I was "frizzling" the linguisa I got a phone call from a friend (who also happens to be Portuguese). He asked what that "noise" was and I told him I was cooking linguisa for a nice batch of Portuguese Beans. There was a long pause (clearly he was wondering what kind of Portuguese Beans this Norwegian woman could make...LOL) then he said, "How do you know about Portuguese Beans?" I laughed and told him, then talked about the ingredients...he yelled into the phone..."Stop, Stop, STOP! You're killing me, now I need to have my wife make some!" Cracked me up!

K
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2006
11:40 AM

Post #2754220

Well, I ran into a couple of snags...

One, 2 lbs of beans, soaked, plus a lb of mince wouldn't fit in my crock pot!

Two, I never did have time to go to that store hoping to find linguisa, so I subbed italian sausage, which I had on hand. It's nice, but..it's not special. I'm going to freeze this and send it to the next church supper as chili.

I'm looking forward to doing it right!

Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2755933

This size batch won't fit into my crock either, that's why I cook 1/2 the batch now and the other 1/2 later (see my Sept 23rd entry). No doubt about it, I need a bigger crock pot.

K
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 2, 2006
10:14 PM

Post #2779691

I'm making a batch tomorrow, k. Thanks for the recipe, I printed it when you d-mailed me. Thanks again and I'll let you know how they turn out. Funny place I get my linguisa from is an Italian deli near me here. He makes the best linguisa. It's called Guido's Deli!
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2779913

I hope you like it as much as we do! To go with it, I made a batch of Potato Bread in my breadmaker. P-Beans,a glass of red wine, home made bread (green salad optional). It doesn't get any better than that!

K :~)
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2910352

Dann have you ever found lingusia locally? This sounds like a great recipe.
gliz
Tyrone, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2910512

Kachinagirl,
I'm always looking for crock-pot recipes - thanks a bunch. One question: Do you drain the sausage drippings before you add the ground chuck? I'm wondering if the ground chuck would add too much of a greasy fat taste to the sausage drippings.
thanks.
Liz
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2911108

Marie,

Making sausages is a long time hobby of mine. I rarely purchase what I can make. I have not looked for a commercial source for linguisa (like a deli) but I think I have seen it in some of the grocery stores.

I made these beans on a recent hunting trip in a dutch oven and using the canned beans. It was a hit...no leftovers!

Dan
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2006
4:29 AM

Post #2911778

Liz,

Yes, you drain the fat from the linguisa and hold it aside. Sometimes I add some back in if it seems to need more punch. If you like spicy food, get the "hot" type, if not get "mild". Usually I cook the ground chuck first so I can put the chuck drippings on the dog's food...I do NOT use the linguisa drippings for the poor dog! LOL He would be jet-powered I'm afraid! You can use a higher grade of ground meat if you want to minimize the grease, or drain it off for a happy dog like I do! :~)

Just as Dann mentioned, this recipe can be made using the canned beans instead of the dried kind. This makes it a dish that can be made for dinner and not have to be done ahead of time!

Post Script to my Sept 23rd entry: I ran into my Porteguese friend a few days after I made the beans. I handed him a tupperware bowl and he looked at me very odd...wondering if he really had to eat Porteguese Beans made by a 6' Norwegian, no doubt. The next day I received a call from him. He was so excited! He LOVED the beans and called to tell me how much he enjoyed them! He said they were a little different than what his Wife makes, but everyone makes them differently. He also said mine were every bit as good as his Wife's, "but please don't tell her"! LOL

K

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America