Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hydrangeas: Black spots on leaves

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 13, Views: 194
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2750257

This is my first hydrangea, it is an "Endless Summer". Are the black spots a disease, fungus? Poor thing was ignored all summer, it started to fry and we covered it with a shade cloth. I was happy to see it still blooming since I thought all hydrangea's only bloomed early in the season. I since looked up this one in PF (again) for a refresher course!

Thanks All!

-Kim

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #2752675

It may be some type of fungus, I would probably leave it alone since it doesn't seem to be threatening the life of the plant and its leaves will drop before too long anyway. So as long as it doesn't get any worse, I would leave it be and when the leaves do fall make sure to pick them all up to reduce the chance of the fungus sticking around and coming back next year. Some fungi are spread by splashing water from overhead irrigation, so I would be careful not to splash the leaves when you're watering it and that should help too. If someone else comes along and tells you something different though please trust them--I've never seen this before and out here it's so dry in the summer that I have never had any sort of fungus problems with hydrangeas.
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2006
1:50 PM

Post #2754453

Ok, thanks - I am all for the 'leaving it alone' idea! That is why I bought an Endless Summer in the first place LOL
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2006
4:20 PM

Post #2757520

I think you should heed Ecrane3's advice. It looks like a leaf spot fungus, caused by overhead watering combined with hot/humid conditions. It shouldn't hurt the plant. Next year, spray with Messenger or the fungicide of your choice as the plant starts leafing out, and stick to watering at the base of the plant and you should be fine. Messenger works better than fungicide, I find. It helps the plant resist the fungus in the first place.
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2006
10:22 PM

Post #2758576

Thanks Pixy - I do have some Messenger. Now to find it and use it next year!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2006
6:02 PM

Post #2766977

Hmmm...I just came to this forum to post the same inquiry! I've been stymied by it, too!

Many of my hydrangeas show that spot and then it usually worsens. Some of them do get overhead watering so perhaps that's the culprit, eh? (It's almost hard NOT to get water on the leaves because all my hydrangeas are in small pots being grown out for future sales in gallon pots one day.)

Kim, mine usually evolve into this: (see pic). I've just been pulling the dead leaves of and the plant seems to do just fine (so far!)

Shoe.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2766993

And, by the way...while I'm here. Does this symptom below appear to be something common with hydrangeas?

I am seeing quite a bit of yellowing mottling on some of the leaves and it is most often on the younger leaves. Often times yellowing of leaves has to do with a nitrogen deficiency if it is on the older leaves so I don't feel it is that. I'm using Osmocote for these plants so perhaps there is some other nutritional deficiency?

Anyone know?
Thanks.
Shoe.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2006
7:39 PM

Post #2767233

That looks like chlorosis, which is actually iron deficiency not nitrogen. So I would apply something with iron, also check the pH of your soil because if the soil's too alkaline then the plant can't absorb the iron.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #2768241

Thanks, ecrane. I'll check the pH tomorrow. These are in bagged potting soil (MetroMix I think but will have to double-check.)

I have some liquid iron I use for my acid lovers; I'll give that a try this weekend.

Again, thanks!

Shoe.
Ladyborg
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2768305

Kim, I had the same question at the end of last summer. It was my first hydrangea. Turns out it was too much sun. This year I had 3. I moved 1 to a spot with total afternoon shade and 2 others still got a bit more frying in the sun than it would have liked. The one in total afternoon shade had no spots, the others did have a few.
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2006
2:04 PM

Post #2769668

I think mine spots are from the sun coupled with water on the leaves from rain. Maybe I picked the wrong spot for it with so much sun. I was hoping that when it was established it could tolerate lots of sun better.

Shoe - what kind are you growing?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2006
3:36 PM

Post #2769921

Ladyborg and bluekat...I've got some in more shadier areas that don't seem to have the black spots as much or at all as others. Of course now, the ones in the shadier areas also don't get direct overhead watering so you may be on to something (bluekat).

The one's I'm growing are an old Japanese cultivar called "Blue Bird".

Shoe.
gloriabythelake
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2006
7:32 PM

Post #2770525

Me too. This is a first for me. I planted 5 new Hydrangea this yr & only Mathilda Gutges got this ugly fungus. Also, I have what looks like the same fungus on all my peonies. They are nowhere near the Hydrangea. Peonies &all other Hydrangea are 15 yrs.old. The fungus appeared after blooming was over.

I have drip hoses everywhere, but I have always supplemented with sprinklers. Never had this before. After destroying the dropped foliage, can I spray w/ Messenger on the gound this year? KThis fungus is particularly ugly, Grrr
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2006
7:44 PM

Post #2770561

Messenger won't do anything if you spray it on the ground, it's only good as a foliar spray. Also it doesn't actually kill bugs/fungus, it gives the plant's immune system a boost to help it fight off the intruder. There's really not much you can do to get rid of soil-borne fungi, the way you minimize the chance of it affecting your plant next year are get rid of this year's diseased leaves, and then be careful not to splash the leaves while watering (drip irrigation is much better in these situations than overhead watering)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America