Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gladiolus : Gladiolus

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 250, Views: 855
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2006
11:20 PM

Post #2750372

wanted to share this photo of my Gladiolus Dalenni ssp. Dalenii
soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2750393

That should have said : Dalenii ssp. Dalenii
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 22, 2006
11:28 PM

Post #2750404

What a beautiful gladiolus!
Does this species bloom late?
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2006
11:54 PM

Post #2750482

Hey Zest

Its blooming now...Just about to finish!!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2006
10:54 AM

Post #2751425

Mark, did you grow yours from seed? I have some I grew last year from seed I got from van Dusen Botanical gardens in Vancouver. I have about 6, which I thought weren't going to grow again but did, they die back early when the bulb formed is small.

This year all but one is still a smallish, thin grassy leaf, though not as small as last year and are still green. The one that took off is in bud and won't be long opening. They can vary in colour, it will be interesting to compare.

Yours looks lovely! Have you any more Gladiolus species? I have ordered 14 different ones from silverhillseeds in Sth Africa.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
11:11 AM

Post #2751430

Hey Wallaby

Nooooooooooo, A friend of mine in Cornwall that has a nursery sent me it a couple of years ago! It is the most gorgeous Gladiolus i have ever seen...

wow, did you visit the van Dusen Gardens????????? or did they send you some??

Be interesting to see what it turns out like when it does flower... hope the other thin grassy bits catch up next year...!!
Mine has lots of thin grassy bits in it... but they all seem to survive so i just leave them to get on with it!! The Dalenii is a hardy Gladiolus, so i don't need to bother with it that much!

No, I dont really have many, just the dalenii and one called Papillio ( i think)... which i have lots of!!! If you want some of that, let me know, you can have some with pleasure!!

Ahhhhh good old silverhills... i have had some crocosmia seeds from there before...

As you probably know... that is my main love in life... crocosmia crocosmia crocosmia!! LOL
I have put in for national collection status and am waiting for the next NCCPG meeting at Wisley... they will decide thenm wether or not i get it!! The next meeting is 8th November... so not long now to wait!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2006
12:22 PM

Post #2751505

Good luck with the Crocosmia! It's not my most favourite plant, but I do see some that grab my interest.

Van Dusen has a web site run buy volunteers, it would be impossible to find by searching for them, I found it by stumbling across a link when searching fo a plant once, many pages into a google. Anyone can buy seeds online, all you have to do is sign up for free.

http://vandusen.plantexplorers.com/privacy.php

I have some G papillio, they have made lots of baby bulbs, thanks for the offer. Perhaps dalenii does the same, hence your thin grassy bits. I moved mine to another pot to grow on.

You should look at some of the speices gladiolus, most of them are glorious!

I think you stand a huge chance of achieving National status for Crocosmia.

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
12:33 PM

Post #2751511

You never know Wallaby... When/if i get the national collection of crocosmia i may start on a collection of species Gladiolus!!!!

Thank you so much for the link... i have added it to my fav list and will have a good look later!!

Dalenii grows exactly the same as Papillio... its around the same size too!! Both have the thin grassy bits growing in them!

The NCCPG lady that came round to view them and fill in the forms etc, wrote in her comments box I HAVE NO HESITATION IN RECOMMENDING THIS COLLECTION FOR NATIONAL COLLECTION STATUS!! ETC ETC

so looks good i hope...

Mark
PS are you actually in Lincoln or a village near??
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2006
12:46 PM

Post #2751528

I live 10 miles from the centre, off the A46 to Newark.

Let us know 'when' you get your nat. coll. status!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #2751581

Oh cool... Not that far away then!!

Yep i will let you know... when/if i get it, no problem!!
It will be nice to have the national collection in lincolnshire... the only other one is in plymouth!!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2006
5:36 PM

Post #2752214

Yep, The African Garden.

You must really have your hands full with those, do you keep most in pots? Most Crocosmia do need to be replanted every so often as far as I'm aware, it must keep you well occupied!

I have had my mind concentrated on Gladiolus for some time, tinkering with the idea of collecting all the species I could. For now I have decided to go with the ones I really like, if I saw the rest in reality no doubt I would like those too! Start slowly and see what happens! After all these do need SPACE.

By the way, are you a total plant nut for other plants too? (like me)
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
5:53 PM

Post #2752256

Hi Wallaby

Yep... thats him!! David Fenwick...

Oh yes i certainly do have my hands full... Yep, most are in pots!!
They usually need dividing every couple years... depends which ones they are... keeps me very occupied!!

I have never thought about collecting gladiolus before... never really seen any, except the common ones...
Have to have a look into it... see what the species ones are like!! How many species ones are there, doyou know????
Yes the other thing is space too... i agree!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes i love plants... any plants!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are all beautiful in their own way!!!
Have a thing about geum and potentilla at the moment!! LOL

Mark

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
5:54 PM

Post #2752258

Wallaby if you send smoke signals i'll pass them on. (ok so i need a little poetic licence as i'm not quite in the middle of you two!)
Bit odd with 3 plant nuts so close together.
Good luck with the collection. I'm struggling to get rid of my crocosmia. The previous owner planted them all over (including the lawn)
Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2752285

Hiya Mike

Where are you then?????????????
Plants nuts all over the place...LOL

Thank you the good luck wishes... What sort of crocosmia do you have all over the place?????????????????
In the Lawn???? LOL
They must have spread under the lawn, i doubt if anyone would plant them there... hahahahahahaha

Mark
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2006
6:18 PM

Post #2752312

I'm the A158 side of Lincoln about 10 miles out.
The crocosmia i have all over never get the chance to flower. The couple of clumps in the border where just leaves. Probably been there 20 years. I think the lawn ones where borders once. Most of the garden was ground elder when i moved in. Oh and mares tail, but that still lives on a little.

I don't really collect plants i just get excited about the way plants look.

This picture gives an overview of the first garden from the house, was taken a month ago so there is more colour now its rained again.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2006
7:48 PM

Post #2752522

I'll drag up some site for you as a taster, I couldn't tell you eactly how many but Sth Africa has perhaps the most that I know of. Europe has a few, Britain also has at least one if I could remember which it is.

http://dip.sun.ac.za/~herbst/IBSA/Iridaceae/Gladiolus/

http://ag.arizona.edu/~daves/types.html

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Gladiolus/Gladioluslist.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiolus

http://www.livingfynbos.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=73&page=2

http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Gladiolus-alatus

http://www.mobot.org/mobot/webmo/2001/iridaceae.shtml

The UK native i think is G illyricus. Species are well under represented, and in my opinion far better than the hybrids. I haven't found anyone to be a collection holder. There is a Rupert Bowlby growing quite a few, he has a web site with other bulbs from Sth Africa and does sell some, but I think growing from seed is the best way to do it if the seed can be found.
Baa

September 23, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2753170

Can someone whose never been to Lincolnshire join in *G*

Beautiful piccie Mark!

I also have an interest in S. African bulbous plants (and all things which congregate rightly or wrongly under that group), well actually bulbous plants in general and plants from S. America and S. hemishpere and European plants and far East, Asia and errrm I'm sure you understand what I mean.

I've all too many seed to sow this year and several Glad species, which are you growing Wallaby?

G. illyricus has it's last foothold in the UK right here in the New Forest however finding it in the wild is another matter. I spend weeks searching but it flowers under the bracken canopy and is so hard to spot. G. communis subsp. byzantinus is naturalised in some parts here as well.

I don't know if you are aware, if you are familair with The African Garden then maybe you are but there is a small group in the UK dedicated to S.A. bulbs. I'm still yet to fill in the form but if you want details you can find them under resources on Terry Smale's site.

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
6:55 AM

Post #2754083

Hi Mike

Wow, nice garden... thank you for letting me see...!!!

A158... I will have to look that up i think... I dont go by the road numbers... I would call it the lincoln to wherever road!! LOL
OMG Ground Elder and Mares Tail... the two worst thing you can ever get...!!!! How did you kill off the ground elder, my next door but one has that and cant get rid!!! So some advice would be appreciated!!

All plants excite me too... but crocosmia most of all!!!

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
7:01 AM

Post #2754087

Hi Wallaby

Thank you so so much for the sites... I will have a look at them later today!!!

I didn't even know england had a species plant!!! I thought most were from S.A.

Just had a look in my NCCPG National plant collection list... nobody holds a collection of Gladiolus... unless they are called another name????
I know Ruper Bowlby, he has one or two Chasmanthe that i was looking for...

Thanks again for the site list!!

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
7:10 AM

Post #2754090

Hiya Baa

Of course you can join in...anyone welcome!! even southerners!! LOL

Thank you, I love that piccie...

In other words, you too have an interest in all plants... just like us really!!!!! LOL

G. Illyricus... I don't know anything about... i didn't even know it was a species plant from this country!! I am goin g to have to do some serious reading on Gladiolus!!
With crocosmia i have delved into the history... I think i will have to do the same with Gladiolus!!

Yes i am aware Baa... you mean the S.A Bulb Group... I am a member of that group!! You should get your form filled in and join...LOL

Mark

zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 24, 2006
10:55 AM

Post #2754174

What an interesting tread, did not know there were so many gladioluses.
I have only one of the common ones.
Will have to wait till I move to a bigger place to get some of the very pretty ones :o)
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2754178

Hi Zest

Yes apparently there are quite a few... i only really have the common ones myself...!!
What else do you grow in Denmark?????????????
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 24, 2006

Post #2754187

Hi Mark,
How can I say it, let me start at the biggining, my DH warns people to be causios with that questions. Apperantly I never shut up when I start LOL ;o)))

I collec oxalis they are the reason I started to be interested in plants.
My interes is getting bigger, and would like a bigger variety plants, but at the moment I do not have much space. But enjoy looking in the DG and see how wonderfully every ones garden and plants are doing :o))

http://www.simplesite.com/oxalis/
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2006
11:14 AM

Post #2754190

Hi Baa, I came across Terry Smale's site recently while searching, he does have some interesting things. One plant in particular grabbed my attention, Crossyne flava. I thought one was enough to further clutter my already cluttered house with another plant, so I bought it, one of those instant decision things!

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/image?query=%27crossyne+flava%27

This is his site if anyone wants it, ordering finished for this year.

http://www.smale1.demon.co.uk/index.htm

I have Gladiolus papilio, which is actually G papilio Purpureoauratus Group. The straight species I found on the first link above with all the pics, and it is mostly green, but most people sell the purple one as just G papilio. The other one just doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else, perhaps a good book on the subject would be useful.

Others are G dalenii and G communis ssp byzantinus that I have.

Ordered from silverhill seeds. (still waiting on their final price!) the following:

alatus
brevifolius
caeruleus
carinatus
carneus
equitans
ferrugineus
fourcadei
gracilis
gaenzii
longicollis
meliusculus
recurvus
virescens var. virescens

Besides those I ordered Syncarpa vestita, Moraea tulbaghensis, Pelargonium tomentosum, Agapanthus inapertus pendulus (dark form), Eucomis vandermerwei, and Serruria florida which I had 2 of but they died, even though they germinated in January 05 after a hard frost and grew to a few inches tall, I will try again!

If you have any (illyricus?) that I don't have or will have, I would love to swap something else with you baa! If there are any seeds on my list I can reciprocate with I think they give 25 seeds a pack so could spare some.

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2754201

Hi Zest

LOL... I don't mind you not shutting up about your garden... its fascinating to find out what is grown in other countries...

Oxalis... oh lovely!!!! They are i think what we call wood sorrell...??
Looks like you are going to have to find a bigger place then zest... then you can really start collecting different things!!
I collect crocosmia... at the moment i have around 240sih varieties...!!
Have you ever thought about collecting those?? LOL

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
11:30 AM

Post #2754206

Hey Wallaby

OMG i hope your garden can stand all those plants you have ordered...LOL
You must have a garden the size of a field!!

You have really started me off now thinking about gladiolus...

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2006
11:57 AM

Post #2754230

Not field, but 1/3 acre including a long drive and house and a huge conker tree! I still have space! It's the initial growing and nurturing that is a stumbling block, you wouldn't believe the amount of plants I have in pots and seed still to sow!

That doesn't stop me wanting more! I'm getting caught up with the back log, lots of potting on to do etc. etc., then new beds to be made. With the dry, hot weather this year watering takes priority. Luckily we had a couple of good rains lately, everything was drying out again before this last one!

I really don't understand why Glad species haven't been more popular, it's time to start an appreciation society! There can't be a more beautiful lot of species of a single genus.

This is G papilio Purp.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 24, 2006
2:15 PM

Post #2754495

Hi Mark
You are correct, they are also known as wood sorrel.
Oh no crocosmia yet, was not sure what they were, just looke them up, they are BEAUTIFUL :o)))
240 varieties? No wonder you are a canditate to have a national collection status.
I do hope you get it :o))

Wallaby, that is really a nice glad, it doesn`t look like the common ones.

I guess this is the right place to ask. Is it normal that glad turn towards the sun? They were all turning “the wrong way”

Thumbnail by zest

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2006
5:31 PM

Post #2755034

Hiya Mark,
The A158 is the Lincoln to Skegness road.

Yeah ground elder is really easy to get rid of but you have to want rid of it. None of this half hearted spray it once with washing up liquid stuff!. Most of my customers that complain about Ground Elder are not real gardeners and just want a quick fix. Lol
Anyway just spray it with 90ml per litre of roundup or other Glyphosate salts type. Either respray in 2 weeks if its not died completely. Or wait until regrowth occurs in about 4 weeks but don't allow it to get taller than about 2inches. Respray and that should be it for that year. Sometimes you get a slight regrowth in autumn but you may need to finish it off the next spring.
I lost a few plants spraying that lot but its worth getting rid of the ground elder for good. really big plants can stand having there trunks and branches sprayed so don't worry to much.
Now mares tail seems to die off then come back over a year later in borders i got rid of it. So no advice on that one.
Still those crocosmia in my lawn are more of a pain! Lol. Think its due to them being monocots like grass and lawn weedkiller working on that to kill stuff. Think i need to try better lawn chems, like the ones that kill clover.

Sorry i've gone all boring. I'm into my chems too much. Got sprayed with pesticide the other week so it may have sent me strange Lol

Speak soon

Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2006
7:53 AM

Post #2756751

Hi Wallaby

1/3 of an acre... thats a decent size.!!! Oh cool a conker tree... i wish i had one... all i have are 2 huge sycamores, that drop those little helicopter things all over the place!!! Oh i would believe the amount of plants in pots etc you have... you should see mine!!! LOL

Doesn't stop me wanting more also... basically anything that takes my fancy i have to get... although just recently i have been stopping myself... getting far far to much!!!
I am just concentrating on my crocosmia at the moment... thats enough for me!!

Yes its amazing how quickly stuff in pots dry out... especially when its sunny and windy... all summer i have been doing nothing but watering... drives me crazy!!!

Yes, lets start an appreciation society for Glads... I have had a look at a few, there are some really beautiful ones.

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2006
7:56 AM

Post #2756757

Hi Zest

I thought thats what they were... think i have one somewhere in my garden...!!
Yesssssssssssss Crocosmia are soooooooooooo beautiful... people only tend to think about them as those common ones that spread everywhere... they dont realise how many really pretty, slow growing ones there are!!
Thank you... i hope i get the collection status too... if i do, then everyone will know about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2006
8:03 AM

Post #2756765

Hiya Mike

Ahhhhhhhhh the skeggy road!!! OK

I am so pleased i dont have ground elder or mares tail... i have that columbine stuff, but thats quite easy to get rid of... its the small version of it too, which is good!!!
I will tell next door but one chap that the ground elder is easy to get rid of...!! I dont know if he will do that, because he grows nothing but veg... But then, thats up to him isn't it...!

The crocosmia on the lawn thing is easy... dig em up!!!! LOL
Maybe someone planted them in the lawn because they thought they were crocus bulbs...LOL

Mark

zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
11:57 AM

Post #2762681

You have some oxalis in your garden!!!!
Oh how do they look like, sorry just had to ask LOL
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
11:59 AM

Post #2762685

Is that like saying "my dog has no nose"
"how does it smell?"
"awfull!"
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
12:08 PM

Post #2762702

ROFLMBO that is a good one!!!
Mike you got it right ;o)))
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
12:14 PM

Post #2762716

Hehe.
Do you collect the stuff? How do you keep it from taking over?
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006

Post #2762734

Stuff!!! You call them stuff!!! LOL
No they are just misunderstood, not all of them behave badly.
The ones that are, are just behead before they seed :o)
I have about 82-87 ones, and need more :o))
I
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2006
12:46 PM

Post #2762773

My Gladiolus dalenii, if I remember correctly, is the orange flowered form. It has reddish orange tips, and it looks to be true to form.

I took a pic yesterday of it starting to open, today it's half open. I can't believe how quickly it has flowered from seed, I sowed it on 24th April last year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2762832

Wallaby

Ooooooooooooooo thats gonna be a pretty one!!!!!!

Wow, from see to flower that quick?????????????/ Excellent!!!!

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
1:12 PM

Post #2762842

Hi Zest

hahahahahahahahahahahaha... very funny, what you and Mike are saying to each other...

I dont know what my wood sorrel looks like... cannot remember where it is... but when i do find it i will let you know. Not that keen on the stuff... it spreads!!!
Maybe i killed it... cannot remember now!!!

Mark
Baa

September 27, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #2763011

Grrr Firefox keeps freezing on me! Back on Safari so trying again.

Mark

Southerner? Not me I was born in S. Staffs and been here so long I don't belong anywhere *G*

Wallaby

A friend and I decided to aquire seeds from different places and include each others requests in the order, then swap them. It worked out well since we often only had to share a packet.

I've aquired the following so far:

G. imbricatus
G. italicus (which I already grow)
G. tenuis (which is most likely palustris or possibly imbricatus as tenuis probably doesn't exist)

G. meliusculus
G. scullyi
G. ecklonii
G. virescens
G. uysiae
G. cunonius
G. huttonii
G. orchidiflorus
G. alatus
G. caeruleus
G. gracillis
G. abbreviatus
G. carneus
G. carinatus

I'm sorry I don't have G. illyricus, even though the Plant Finder lists 6 nurseries with it, I haven't seen any for sale so far.
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2763095

Mark
;o))) what is life with out some fun teasing :o)))

Amazing did not think they would give flower that fast.
A very pretty color Wallaby :o))

Baa, did your flower so quick as well?
Baa

September 27, 2006
2:42 PM

Post #2763109

No Zest, my G. alatus is two years old and still no flower. Perhaps I'm going wrong somewhere!
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
2:42 PM

Post #2763113

see there you go Zest spray those nasty weeds you have with some good old fashioned chemicals and grow some Gladiwhatsits. Dont touch Marks crocosmias though they'll take over your lawn. Lol
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
3:35 PM

Post #2763252

Oi... my crocosmias dont spread anywhere...LOL
Yeah i agree zest... get rid of those nasty wood sorrel weeds... plant something worth looking at!!!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2763432

Never! I am beyond rescue LOL

a photo to make you jealous ;o))))

Thumbnail by zest

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2006
7:04 PM

Post #2763809

Those don't look much like Glads! Lol.
Hey Mark i dare you to try and kill one of those crocs. You can leave them to dry out, bury them over 1 foot deep, put them in a bucket of water for 4 weeks and even mow them every time they poke out the soil. They kind of amaze me. Ok they won't flower but they won't die either. Quite amazing really.
Photo to make us jealous indeed. (ok there kind of nice)
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #2763966

Thanks ;o)))

Baa, maybe that species need to be mature?
Don`t know much about glads, just guessing.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2764049

Baa, as zest mentions, they probably need more time to mature. I will post a pic of the full plant, you will see the rest at the bottom that are still very immature, some have already died back. I think one grew a lot sooner than the rest, this is possibly the reason it has a head start. Is G. alatus the only one you have as yet in growth, the rest being seed needing to be sown?

It looks like I'm not the only Glad enthusiast around! I still haven't got my final price from silverhill, they do add the postage on automatically but may need to be sure all are in stock, although there was another I was going to order which was removed, so I assume they will have them all. I have read they can be a little slow.

I have checked your list Baa, we have 7 the same (assuming I get them all), namely:

alatus
caeruleus
carinatus
carneus
gracilis
meliusculus
virescens

That leaves 10 extra that you have, and 7 extra of the seed that I may have, plus G. papilio, dalenii, communis ssp. byzantinus. Assuming you don't have any of hte last 3, that means we each have 10 that the other doesn't have!

G. dalenni was nearly fully open today, by the pic I have of it that came with the seeds it should open further. The colours on the pic look more orange tips with yellow centre, but they are often poor. It's a really vibrant colour, greenish yellow throat at this stage, and yes zest it is very pretty! The satisfaction of having grown it too!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2006
8:32 PM

Post #2764074

It is tall!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #2764137

What a flower! It doesn`t look like a “typical” glad.
Nice looking :o))
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2006
9:10 PM

Post #2764220

I think the 'typical' glad is bred ffrom G.ecklonii. It's a very dainty (and pretty) one but selective breeding has been going on for some time.

Type in 'gladiolus' and you will get the ones on offer. They accept Paypal too!

http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/ByName.asp

zest, are you getting a taste for the species?
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 27, 2006
9:30 PM

Post #2764292

Like glads very much, did not know there were so many different ones :o))

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2006
8:06 AM

Post #2765764

I think i am going to have to invest in some Glads... are there any books on the subject, giving a little of the history, where they originate, and the different species etc...????

Mike... its only the common montbretia that is that hard to kill... Most of the crocosmia i have are quite tender and can be too easily killed!!!!!!!

Mark

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2006
10:56 AM

Post #2765849

Beutiful glads - like Monica I had no idea there were so many species. I'd only heard of G. imbricatus and I grew that from seed last year. They're still very, very tiny and have withered for now - hope they come up again next spring! I love gladiolus - not had any luck with the big showy ones (like the dahlias) hope the species will work out better :-)
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #2766227

It is amazing! Today it has fully opened, and DOES look like the picture, but just a little brighter! Posting a pic later when downloaded.

rannveig, these are hardy to zone 8, but certain conditions need to be met. Some are winter growers, some summer growers, and in their natural habitats they mostly get summer rains or winter dry or the reverse. I have some Ixia viridiflora I grew from seed which flowered this year, it goes dormant in summer and should be kept dryish, it's starting to grow now and over winters easily in the greenhouse/garage. I will need to be doing the same with some of these, but if you have enough then some can be tried outside in a suitable location (when mature). A bulb grown yourself in your own climate stands more chance of success. G. imbricatus is from colder zones.

Mark, there is a good book on the subject I came across, I will see if I can dig it up. I'm considering getting one myself! They can, unfortunately, be very expensive!

This is the Ixia, very delicate and some of the flowers were a little dried, I had 2 out of 10 that flowered, I think in their 3rd year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2766275

Hey Wallaby

There is only one book on crocosmia... and that is also very expensive!!!
Much appreciated if you can dig it up... would love to know what it is called!!

Wow nice pic... love it!!!!
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2006
5:16 PM

Post #2766809

Die crocs die! Lol.
Silly question is there a way of telling common montbretia and proper crocs when they never flower?
Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #2767036

LOL...
Nope, not really Mike... May be able to tell by the leaves... are they ribbed?????
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2006
7:08 PM

Post #2767161

I'll check when its light. If i ever dig up my lawn i'll send you some! Lol
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2006
7:16 PM

Post #2767182

Yeah i will have some if you dont want it...!!! Cheers!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2006
7:51 PM

Post #2767269

I found this link to the British Gladiolus Society, there is a Library of books listed which can be borrowed by members. Useful as a reference list. I think the one I saw was the 1972 "A revision of The South African Species of Gladiolus" G.L.Lewis, A.A.Obermayer and T.T.Barnard.

http://www.britglad.com/library.html

there are other interesting titles, which a search may turn up.

Direct from the publisher, this is for Tropical species, the summer growing species mostly. Last I looked the Rand was 10-12R to the £.

http://www.succulents.net/umdaus/gladiolus.html

Here is the 1998 GLADIOLUS IN SOUTHERN AFRICA
Goldblatt, Peter & Manning, John

http://www.africabookcentre.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.africabookcentre.com/acatalog/Environmental_Studies_Southern_Af.html&CatalogBody

£29 plus, get this, £2 up to £10 value, then 15% in £5 increments up to a maximum of £5 postage!

A useful list of species

http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/gladiolus

I found the first book (1972) above on Abe Books, the second one down would cost around £30 with postage.in VG condition.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&isbn=0360001556&nsa=1

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
5:23 AM

Post #2769063

Oh wow... thank you Wallaby... I will have a look!!!!

Goldblatt and manning are the ones that wrote the only crocosmia book, in congunction with Garry Dunlop...
Goldblatt is a very very knowledgable chap... (for a south african) LOL

Thanks again

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2770347

I am very, very tempted to buy that book myself! £34 sounds a lot of money, (especially when it can be spent on seed!), but it would be great to have, 144 colour plates, ooooh wow! Maybe I will treat myself for Xmas (hoping my daughter gives me part of it!).

I didn't get around to posting the pic yesterday, a second flower is part open now too, it has a scent which gets better as the flower matures. I love it!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #2770359

The lower petals are still quite green, such a beauty!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
7:51 PM

Post #2770575

Yessssssssssss £34 is a lot of money for a book... But probably well worth buying!!
Oh wow, it as that many colour plates in it...???
Hmmmmm may just have to have that book myself...
oooooooooooo thats a pretty plant!!!!!!!! Gorgeous aren't they!!!!!!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #2770632

Yep, 150 detailed line drawings too!

"including 150 finely executed and botanically detailed line drawings by John Manning. Gladiolus in Southern Africa reflects both the complex biology and simple beauty of a genus that is admired the world over. 144 colour plates, 464pp, SOUTH AFRICA. FERNWOOD PRESS 1874950326"
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
8:52 PM

Post #2770716

I just checked Abe Books, sellers have it for a lot more than it can be got new from that shop, £37.71 + postage from Sth Africa is the cheapest. First Edition, well, I think I'd rather pay less and get new!

I found it from the publishers, same price but more carriage?. I think the African Book shop must be something to do with them.

http://www.fernwoodpress.co.za/Detail.php?id=45&PHPSESSID=a535d5f3fa09d17aed5f52a1c557b281
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2770828

Good god... thats a bit expensive!!! Wonder what the postage would be from there??????

What is the book acyually called?????

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2770830

Oh just looked... Gladiolus in south africa..!!
Doh!!!

must be able to get it cheaper somewhere!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2770836

GLADIOLUS IN SOUTHERN AFRICA
Goldblatt, Peter & Manning, John

I saw postage on the tropical gladiolus book, it was R160, possibly a smaller book.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2770838

Yes, from The African Book Centre in the link I gave above, £29 + £5 postage!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
9:44 PM

Post #2770842

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1874950326/ref=dp_olp_2/202-8429012-7127805?ie=UTF8
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
9:53 PM

Post #2770860

I JUST BOUGHT IT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
£33 inclsive of postage
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
10:22 PM

Post #2770925

That I was going to check, but it says from £36.12???? price rise or did you get the last one from Amazon!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2770931

I bought it from the african book centre £29 + £4p&p

Amazon are too expensive...!! LOL
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2770953

Now what was that they said about 15% in £5 increments, max. £5 postage!!!!???

Looks like you will be growing Gladiolus species, yes? Now I WILL have to buy one!!!!!!!!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2770967

I didnt read all that about 15% in £5 increments etc... I just added it to cart etc, to see how much the postage was... when it said £4 i was suprised... so i thought what the hell... and bought it!!!

Hmmmmmmmm yes i might be growing Gladiolus species... going to read up on it all first before i make my mind up!!!!
Hahahahahaha yessssssssssssssssssss go on, buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey i hope when / if i get national collection of crocosmia, you will come over when i have my open day????
Have to have an open day at least once a year as part of being a collection holder!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2006
11:04 PM

Post #2771009

Oooohhhh yes! I could do with a trip to Potterton's, kill two birds with one stone!

I guess it won't be until next year anyway!

Hmm, I ALMOST hit that button myself, but decided to go hunting a little more. Got waylaid in the jungle!

I like it, buy the book first...go on, you're hooked!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
9:25 AM

Post #2772074

Ohhhhhhhhh yes, Pottertons is only 3 miles away from me... i am often in there looking around!!

Yep, it will be next year now... no point in people coming round now i view half dead crocosmia!! LOL

Ohhhhhhhhh you know you want to hit that button... thats why i hit it, i dont like getting waylaid in the jungle. If i want something i just get it... within reason of course!!!!

Nooooooooo not hooked...LOL
Just for research purposes!!!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

September 30, 2006
11:07 AM

Post #2772109

Just a pretty glad Janet, love the color combination.

That book sounds expensive, but I bet is it good to have.
Pottertons! Love that nursery have ordered from there many times (oxalis of course LOL)
Didn`t they win a flower show a few years ago?

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
11:16 AM

Post #2772118

Hey Zest...

Yep the book is VERY expensive... but i guess it will be good value for money!! I hope...

You order from Pottertons too... I know the chap that runs it quite well... i was down there the other week and bought some Tritonia!!!... another gorgeous plant!!!
Well theres a suprise... zest bought some Oxalis!!!!! LOL

In the little shed where you go pay for the plants they have framed certificates for flower shows covering all walls... golds, silver guilts, silver, bronze ... loads and loads of them!!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2006
11:31 AM

Post #2772133

5 gold medals in 2006!

http://www.pottertons.co.uk/pottin/index.php

I got my bulb order a week ago, first time I have ordered from them but they do have potted plants I would be very tempted to buy as well, a trip is in order although I could do them MO I am only around 40 miles away. My Oxalis palmifrons I got from there.

My heart strings are pulling towards pressing that button, but I am crafty when I can make excuses to myself! I often do this when Xmas time is around the corner, I spy a plant that I really, really want, buy it for a present for my daughter, then decide that it would live better in my company, and buy something else for a present! That becomes dangerous when the second purchase is a plant! I have had to buy a third present!

Now, a short time ago I came across a company in Indonesia selling all sorts of interesting Colocasias etc., minimum order £50, fairly steep carriage but no phyto charges. I told myself I would have to wait until spring, which could be a better time anyway, but my crafty mind is making the excuses already that if I DON'T buy the book, I need only, say, another £40-50 (+?)or so to pay for the goods! What brilliant justification!

Worry not, there will come a time when I throw all caution to the wind and have a mad, pent-up-bursting-out-in-a-spending-rash-spree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
11:44 AM

Post #2772142

Oh wallaby dear wallaby, what are we going to do with you...
I you do go to Pottertons, you may be in for a supise... its not what you think it will be like... all that is there really is a couple of greenhouses and a shed where you pay!! Plus a load of stone bays with hundreds of 3inch pots of plants in them...
The place looks kinda run down... but i guess it all adds to the charm...!!

I KNOW you are gonna press that button at some point... so just log on to the website and press it!!!! Then you wont have to worry about it anymore...!!!

That is fatal... buying plants for people when you love plants yourself...!! Oh dear Wallaby... Does your daughter know that is what you do??????LOL

No Phyto charges???? How come?? Do they pay it??? Or do they send out plants illegally?? Dodgy!!!!!... so you will be better off buying the book i think!!!!!!!!!... you know you want it!!!!
Or... i could always rent mine out to you when i get it!!!!! LMAO

OMG, watch out world, when wallaby throws caution to the wind!!!

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2772168

wallaby becomes a whirlwind

Hmm, I think by the time I paid rent plus postage, I would be better off buying the book! You are pushing me!

I did tell my daughter I had done that, but I wouldn't tell her which plants they were! That's not all, I have also bought her a clematis and took cuttings from it! Good job too, I have 2 plants now and she killed hers!

When the time is right, I will either DO it or get OVER it! My juices are oozing, sorry folks for the image!

I think the Phyto charges are low for the country, and the minimum order would cover their costs.

Just take a look!!!!! They look to be a professional outfit, worth a dabble I think!

http://www.malesiana.com/html/home.htm#

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006

Post #2772192

Hahahahahaha yes you would be better off buying the book... but i wouldnt charge you postage... only rent!!!! LOL... meeeeeeee pushing you????? NEVER!!!!!!!

Oh well at least you told her what you had done... thats good i guess!!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you took cuttings from her present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...

Well wallaby (what is your name by the way?)... if you dont buy the book and you ever want to borrow it, just ask ok... i will let you!!!! I think i can trust you!! LOL

Oh cool... I will have a look at the link you sent... may have something i want too!!!! Thank you for that!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2006
12:36 PM

Post #2772218

It's Janet, if I haven't bought the book by the time you have your open day I will ask to take a peek at yours, then I can make a decision!

You will be enthused by the plants they have on there, mark (haha) my words! Take a look at the other plants section too, a Tacca there which beats the ones we see for sale. Of course it's a risk, carriage from other countries can be iffy, the pants may be small, some might die, but they are a good price, and so rare that I am willing to risk it!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
12:45 PM

Post #2772236

Hi Janet...

Yes you can borrow it anytime you want to... i will let you know when it arrives!!! Also if you want to you can borrow croosmia book!!!! that is very interesting!!

Yesssss i will have a look tomorrow when i will have no disturbances... oh dear mark my words... made me smile!!
Tacca... is that what i call the bat plant????? I tried growing one from seed once... my god it took years to do anything, then died!!!!
Oh i don't mind the risk, if the plants are worth it... I just wonder how long it will take for them to arrive!!! Like you say, some may die in transit...
Hmmmmmmm i will have a good look and see if its worth it...!!

Mark
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
12:56 PM

Post #2772254

Hey Zest,
Is it strictly Oxalis you collect or any "clover plants"? Just i have a Prarie clover i'm hoping you know how to grow from seed.
Its Dalea jamesii. Any ideas?

Not heard of that pottertons place before. I'll take a look some time soon. When is good to visit?

Mike (aka "the crocosmia killer")
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2006
12:59 PM

Post #2772265

Yes Tacca is the bat plant, I got some seed, I think one germinated, then promptly died so I was spared!

Normal parcel carriage can be around 10 days, or longer if customs hold things up. For a smallish order you wouldn't have to pay much import tax or vat. there is an £18 allowance on most things, then vat at 17.5%, import duty only payable mostly once the duty reaches £7, and there may be a charge (£8ish I think) from Parcel Force, but if the parcel is small enough they can go through without mishap and not be charged anything, it's the bigger ones that attract attention. You have to spread the cost of all this over the number of plants, it often doesn't add much per plant, and when there is no alternative short of jumping on a plane, well live dangerously!

Youu can opt for the Carrier which is quicker, excluding customs hold-ups of course, but much more expensive. It depends on how much you feel you want to risk.

They are in DG feedback system Garden Watchdog, a couple of people have posted problems but reading between the lines the company wasn't at fault, customs don't have anything to do with them once they arrive in another country!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
1:17 PM

Post #2772287

Hey Mr crocosmia killer...

Pottertons are open every day http://www.pottertons.co.uk/pottin/index.php

You should go have a look... its weird...!!! LOL

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2772300

Janet

I still have some Tacca seed if you fancy another go at it... Cost a fortune for 5 seeds... cant remember how much i paid for it!!! But i know it was a lot!

Well... i think i may have to have a go at getting some stuff from that place and see what happens... you never know, everything may be ok...!!
Thats the trouble isnt it... if customs hold things up then everything could be dead by the time it gets to me...!!!!!!! That would be such a waste...

We shall see...!!

So, are you going to order something from there???? you gonna risk it??? or are you going to wait and see what happens to mine??? LOL

Mark
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
1:27 PM

Post #2772310

Hiya Mark, I checked out the website. Looks fancy. I allways assume the worst straight away then. You can't tend plants while you set up a web site.
So ill expect the weird! Lol
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
1:33 PM

Post #2772324

Mike

All their plants are in perfect condition... they have won so many awards...!!!

I meant the place is weird not the plants... it 2 large greenhouses and a shed where you pay!!

and a load of concrete beds outside with hundreds of 3inch pots of plants in them!!

The first time i went i was expecting a megs big place... but i was sooooooooooo wrong!!!

But the main thing is the plants are lovely!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2006
6:43 PM

Post #2772976

Mark,

I don't think I'll bother with the Tacca seeds, thanks, it was well over £3/close to £4 I think from P.O.D. and not many seeds, I did see some fllowering plants once at Pennells for £20, when I was still only a mild plant nut (that's not true). It was nevertheless difficult to pass them by!

Oh I think I can't wait to order from that site, they might not have what I want later! I haven't gone terribly mad yet this year, it's time I did! (AND I can SAVE £33 if I don't buy the book!) Customs here are not too bad like they are in some countries, if you didn't take the chance you would stand still!

Gee, that site must have really taken your fancy! It did mine, it's almost like finding a hidden stash of goodies! We can compare our experiences!

Potterton's did have a site already set up, but are changing it. Their potted plants will be listed in the next month. It's more what you would call a working nursery, there are a lot of them now that do most or all of their business on the internet, and they are usually run by plant specialist growers. Many of them don't buy much of their stock in and do all the hard work themselves. That's the type of people I like to deal with.
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
10:04 AM

Post #2774838

Cheers Mark, thats kind of what i meant.
Just there is really 2 routes plant sellers take
(1) the day out bring Granny for a cup of tea and let the kids try and kill them selves. (whoops that was a pop at Baytree G C). Usually with good retail standards, carpet on the floor canopies for all weather shopping etc.
(2) The plant specialist. Specialising in a particular types of plants. (usually alpines or herbaceous as its the quickest to reproduce on the whole therefore the most profitable)

Internet business is now the fastest way to increase sales with the Biggest garden seller on the internet being Crocus with a turnover in the 3/4 million range and last we spoke to them they where due to make there first profit if this year went well.

Customers cost to much money to service nowadays so internet shopping allows smaller specialist places to look fancy and have a grand scale without all the costs!

I'm a fan of internet shopping as it means i don't have to stand in line with all the nutters out there, waiting for that one person who's had a bad day to walk in and blow every shopper away... Yes it might be me next who loses it!!

Hey its all good fun
Mike
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 1, 2006
12:12 PM

Post #2774930

Mark,
Pottertons are very friendly, the bulbs they have sendt have been very big as well.
I would recommend this nursery to anyone :o)

Janet,
I was thinking that you probably had bought O. palmifrons from Pottertons.
Could not stop smiling when I read about the “lent” clematis cuttings. I would do the same LOL
To bad your daughters ones died.
Costoms don`t seen that bad in the UK?
Besides the phyto, you have to contakt the ministry of agriculture and let them know when the plants/buls will be in the contry. Then you have to pay about 60£, (No matter if it is 1 or 50) because they have to check them as well.
You were right about the weather today :o))

Hi Mike,
Sorry don`t know a bit about clover they are weeds LOL
I do have a bit of other things, but because of little space (garden is 10m long and 4 m wide) I mostly only collect oxalis. I need more space sigh…..

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2006
12:58 PM

Post #2775025

zest, you don't need to contact the Ministry of Agriculture if you are just a retail customer. That's for business purchases, I know it sounds like you need to when you read all the information, bu they don't put things very well!

I bought some Hemerocallis last year from America, the company dealing with it places documents in an envelope on the outside of the parcel for customs to view, but a small parcel can easily just go through without being checked. They don't check all of them, they wouldn't have the time! It may be different in other countries, America can have some serious delays so they could be more particular on checking, more so in view of the recent events.

Mine took about 2 weeks to arrive, I only paid something like £8 for ParcelForce's costs, and had to pay the duties by cheque when it was delivered but I wasn't notified of when it would be delivered, an Express Carrier may notify you. If you're lucky the company sending it will put a lower value to the goods!

I have got the HM Customs and Excise in my Favourites somewhere, the information is very difficult to find from their Home page.

The link to HM C&E is on this page, I challenge anyone to find the part about private individuals importing to this country from the UK site! (something to do on a rainy day!)

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/fas/import_procedures.htm
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2775160

Clover weeds and Oxalis? Eh now i thought most Oxalis where called clover. I live and learn. Lol To be honest i never paid much attention to them before now.
Not sure where to find info on Dalea as this variety seems hard to find the info for (i only checked my books and here so far)

Cheers
Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2775265

Mike, do you mean Dahlia????? LOL
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2775312

Oh god i hate H M Customs & Excise... They sound too much like the Tax Man!!!!!!!
Just had to pay another fortune to the Ba+**$ds...

Its easier to find someone in america to send you it and write on the customs label, 'Garden Gnome' !!!!! LOL

Went down to Pottertons today... had a look at this Oxalis thing!!! My advice Zest... start collecting crocosmia or Gladiolus!!!
I have a nice book coming soon called 'Gladiolus of South Africa', you can borrow it if you want Zest!!! LOL
I know there will be a remark about what i just said about crocosmia, from Mr Crocosmia killer... take no notice of it zest!

I was going to take my camera down to Pottertons today... take some photos for you all!! But i forgot to take it... I will go back there tomorrow and take a few!!!...

Mike, yes i know what you mean about they can make a nursery sound big on the internet etc... and yes thats what pottertons do very very well...!!! They were parcelling up some stufff to go to Japan while i was there... how cool is that!!

Janet... i dont blame you for not wanting my Tacca seed... It would drive me crazy if i grew another one and it died again!!!... maybe Zest would like them to try????????? hehehe
I can't make up my mind wether or not to buy from that place Janet... yes i know its like finding a hidden stash of goodies... and yes quite a few took my fancy... especially the Tacca.

Mark

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2775388

Dalea jamesii

http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com/cgi-bin/plantview.cgi?_recordnum=1084

Mark, just wait and see how JEALOUS you will feel when I get my stash of goodies!!!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
3:14 PM

Post #2775431

Never heard of Dalea Jamesii... will have a look!!!

About the same as you will be JEALOUS when i get the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2775439

oooooooooooo that James Dalea is a very pretty little thing!!!!!! Never seen one of those...
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
3:25 PM

Post #2775466

I'm biting my lip about the crocosmia... Will not comment aghhhh its killing me Lol

And nope i really did mean Dalea not Dahlia I do have one Dahlia in my garden but there like old ladies plants (along side some bulbous plants hehehe)
Only joking don't send hate mail.

I know what you mean about customs and tax etc. I understand the need for it all but i'm sure they make it hard for everyone so there is rules and regs just to cover everything so they can be allways right!

We once sent a load of Picea to china or was it Japan and last year i sold Gift Tokens to someone in Hong Kong but had to send them to woodhall spa. Not quite as glamourous! I have the space to open an internet shop its all there and ready to go but really can't be spending the time on it. Also not sure which direction to take it yet. I have the option for a new staff member this winter i could put in charge of it, so we'll see!

Tacca is a real sod to grow. Most people buy dutch stuff in Garden centres often from the Clock auctions and to be honest its death warrant has been served before the customer gets it home. No one in Garden Centres will know how to care for them and the dutch guys will have had them on refridgerated transport for over a week.

Have fun

Mike

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #2775478

Cheers for that Wallaby. Just lovin the sound of the line hard to germinate! Lol
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
3:55 PM

Post #2775545

Mile...

Hahahahahaha you don't need to bite your lip... i don't mind at all!!

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old ladies plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my bishop of llandaff...!! Grrrrr

Ohhhhhhh yes, customs and taxman etc are ALWAYS right...!!! Even if they are wrong, they are still right!!!

Hey if you want someone to run it for you... i am looking for a chnage in job...!!!! Fed up being self employed... been after finding something in horticulture!

My G/F works at Brigg Garden Centre... Trust me, i know what the Dutch plants are like... forced on crap...!!!!! Most plants on sale in Garden Centres now are Dutch... its such a shame that britain cant compete...!!!!!

Yep, Tacca is a sod... i grew one, it just appeared and then died... took 2 years nearly to reach that stage!!!!! LOL

Mark

zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 1, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2775563

Janet I gave up on that link! A bit confusing?
Nice to know that they do not have to be contacted before import. Oh my goodness I am going on a shoping extravaganza as well, Janet :o))
There is a nursery in South Africa.
Cape seed an bulbs
http://capeseedandbulb.com/
they have a couple of glads and a nice collection of the “O” plants LOL
Did order from there some years ago, but then got confused on that new law,
but sence it is only for business, then….. yummi

Mike
Most think the same, and is because they somethimes look similar.
The Dalea is very very pretty :o)

Mark.
LOL a little hint there? LOL
Oh yes would like some tacca seeds, they are on my “when I have a bigger place list”
Just as well get some know, thanks very much ;o)))

Monica
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2775588

Monica

email me your name and address and you can have them... along with some other nice seeds!!!!

my email is markfox2001@ntlworld.com

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006
4:25 PM

Post #2775615

Be warned though Monica they are a devil to grow and can take years to flower...!!!!
What sort of other plants would you like to grow...???? I will see if i have some seed of them!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2006
6:23 PM

Post #2775948

OK Monica, I wonder if anyone else has tried???? I was confused myself at first!

Here's how you do it. First get the C&E Home Page from the link.

Go to the 'site map' at the top right.

Under VAT, Customs & Excise click 'Import/Export'

Click on the green box bottom left 'travel home page'

Click on the link 'shopping on the internet'

There you will find a link 'Common Internet Goods' which has an openable PDF giving a chart on taxes charged and chargeable. (UK)

Also a link to 'Note 143 A guide for international post users' which has many questions and answers, this will be more useful to you. There was a limit of £35 within the EU, £18 worldwide before taxes apply.

There is also a Europa link to self assess a code for a product, but it looks to be a long time loading for me and probably not useful

Now wasn't that so obvious?????????????????

I have come across Cape Seed & Bulb, but so far haven't purchased from them. If they had online ordering it might be more tempting!

Mark, once you have looked around what they have in America as wildflowers it will boggle your mind!

I will be jealous of your book!

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2006

Post #2776194

Mark, Your G/f works at Brigg and you want a job in horticulture? Surely either she is high up working for the Stubs family or you don't know the wages are poor in horticulture/retail! Lol No one seriously chooses to work in it. It just kind of happens. What do you do self employed?

I'm starting to feel sorry for you now Mark! Lol

Bishop of Llandaf is one worth growing. There are some new ones that are related to it that look quite cool aswell. So i'll let you grow those.

Brigg won't get some of there Dutch plants this week the guy that brings them is getting married... think he was bullied into it when his girlfriend got pregnant. Nice bloke and gets the odd english sense of humour. The dutch guys are starting to struggle now though so the future might change. We are starting to see much more Italian stuff now. It is grown quite hard in soil based compost so has good shelf life.

Time will tell
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
8:08 AM

Post #2777793

Yeah but where she works is a total hole!!!!!!!!! Oh i know the wages are rubbish... from what she brings home... and i know the Stubbs's treat their staff like crap... well, apart from the women they are having affairs with of course!!! hahahahahaha
Well, now you know someone who seriously wants to work in horticulture...

My own business is a taxi company i set up 10 years ago... had enough of it now!!!!!

Phew, so i got away with the Bishop Dahlia and all its offsprings... thats good!!!!!

Oh really... I dont know Mike, she never talks about work to me... once she leaves at the end of the day, she never speaks about it!!!!
I have seen that guy that brings the plants... bought some baccy off him once!! LOL
Good i am pleased the dutch are starting to struggle a bit now... they have had it too good for too long, and really they sell such crap plants!!
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Italian stuff coming through now... that sounds better!!!!

Yes as you say... time will tell!!!!!!!!

Janet... when you think about the amount of wildflowers we have as a small island... then you think about how big USA is, they must have millions and millions of wildflowers...

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
8:15 AM

Post #2777796

Bought myself a new Hosta yesterday... yes Mike... from Brigg!!!!!!! LOL

Hosta 'Diana Remembered'... quite pretty!!

zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 2, 2006
10:13 AM

Post #2777855

Janet
Got lost once more LOL could not even find the “VAT, Customs & Excise click 'Import/Export' “ place. I wonder who disigned that page.
You can send a email order to cape seed and buld, and give your credit card info.
It is not a secure way, but then again a letter could “get lost” The bulbs I resived were very fine. But received two of the same species oxalis, the label was wrong. Human mistake maybe? Could not get a answer of why that happened.

Mark
Tacca “devil to grow”, just the thing for me :o))
Nice hosta, how big does it get? In metrics please ;o)))
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
10:28 AM

Post #2777860

Hi Monica

You like things that are a devil to grow?????????????????? ok!!! LOL
This Hosta grows to 45cm X 90cm... according to the label...
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 2, 2006
10:39 AM

Post #2777869

Yeps, there is nothing more trilling than a good brain puzzling headache LOL

A nice sized hosta, bought a few ones earlier this year. This photo was taken in early July

Thumbnail by zest

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
10:40 AM

Post #2777871

Minica... received your emails!!! Replies sent...

Thank you

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
10:41 AM

Post #2777872

Minica...LOL

I meant Monica... sorry
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
10:44 AM

Post #2777875

Monica

Ooooooooooooooo so you like Hosta too...!!!

Have you ever heard of one called Elvis Lives ??????? I got it just for the name... Gorgeous!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 2, 2006
10:56 AM

Post #2777887

I think I will survive LOL!!!

Love the hosta manes, there is one called Guacamole LOL, and I don`t no what else.
Check these names
http://www.hostadanmark.dk/butik_hosta.asp?id=A

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2777895

Wow... i have sent that link to a friend of mine in scotland, she collects hosta and has a few hundred varieties... thank you for that link!!!

Yes there some fantastic names arent there...
I have one called Jolly Green Giant... another called Zippity Do Da... LOL
Love the ones with weird names!!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
11:05 AM

Post #2777902

Nice hosta Mark, if yuo want to get a good variety the place I got mosst of mine from is Bowden's they have around 1,000 varieies. They have handed over now to their daughter and son in law. You might think some pants are quite expensive, but that depends on many factors. What I did find is they will be true to form, not like some you might purchase from a Garden Centre which are often tissue cultured and variable, I bought a Francee and it looked right when small, now it is completely different. They sell divisions.

http://www.bowdenhostas.com/aboutus.html

I spent a long time drooling over others I wanted, but there are other plants and one can only cope with so many of one type.

zest, I sympathise with you! It took me forever to find it again when I dug it up for someone else! You said:

"I wonder who designed that page"

Answer:

Someone from the Customs & Excise who doesn't want anyone to find it so they can tell you what you have done wrong and charge you lots of money!

Here is the page

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_001454

The notice 143 page

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document

For UK, downloadable or just open, pdf file on VAT rates

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006

Post #2777908

zest, I have Guacamole, it is robust and gorgeous.

I have a link to a Dutch site somewhere that sells some of the latest hostas from America, including Hanky Panky, they are so much cheaper than Balihai in Ireland, and have more newer ones. but they take bank transfers, no credit cards, which adds a lot to it but I suppose you do save on their prices.

Mark, would that friend in Scotland be Lorraine? aka digginloz on ebay? I bought one from her, and swapped a couple, but hers were small, hard pieces and either died, reverted, or didn't do well! Mine were large, growing divisions, live and learn!

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
11:50 AM

Post #2777984

Hi Janet... Not got that many hosta!!
Its not a plant that i want too many of... a lot of them look the same! Only get them really because i love the names...!! Weird i know, but then i am!!
The chap down the road from me in a village called Somerby (6 miles away!!), has the national collection of Hosta!!! He has some really nice ones...
Its not a plant that makes me drool Janet...LOL

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
12:20 PM

Post #2778036

Hmmm, when is this guys Open Day? Does he sell any?

BUT there are some great Hostas, if you only knew...
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
12:31 PM

Post #2778061

Janet... he is open everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes he sells plenty... I bought Fire and Ice from him a year or so ago...!!

I know there are some great Hostas... but i just dont have the room for them... Niagara Falls is a beautiful one... loved that name!!!!!!! Have you seen it???
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
12:33 PM

Post #2778064

http://www.hosta.co.uk/ this is his site address, although he doesnt list any plants on there... dont ask why!! I dont know the answer...
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
12:44 PM

Post #2778096

Hmm, if he had some of the new American ones, like Hanky Panky, I would visit, but like you, not enough space!

I have loads I have grown from seed off of mine, some very interesting leaf shapes and colours too! I really can't find a space for them, and they are in far too small pots just waiting!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
1:01 PM

Post #2778135

you should write to my friend in scotland Janet... she has hundreds, including many american ones!!!
write to her and tell her i gave you her email address!!
i will d-mail it to you!!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #2778193

I wonder if it is the smae person Lorraine gets hers form, she has a near neighbour who has hundreds from all over!

Does she mind selling to others?

I got my final bill from Silverhill seeds, they will be on their way now!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2778228

No Lorraine doesnt get any from Derrick Target... she gets hers from all over the place incl USA!!

She does sell to people Janet... but not all of them... you will have to ask her!! Just tell her you are a friend of Mark in Caistor... you will be fine!!

Ooooooooooooooo did you get lots from silverhills?????????????????

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2778236

Janet

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdiginlozQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

Link is for Lorraines stuff on ebay!!! Have a look
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #2778292

I have a list of her hostas which she sent me, but I wasn't happy with her plants so I wouldn't go down that road again. I hope she isn't watching! Sorry Loz!

Thanks Mark, if you dmail me your friends email addy I might contact her, maybe next year!

I listed the seeds above from silverhill, it was marginally less in price than the order came to with postage, so it looks like they have them all, the exchange rate is taken into account. Just over £40 in total!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
1:53 PM

Post #2778310

I have a list of her hostas which she sent me, but I wasn't happy with her plants so I wouldn't go down that road again. I hope she isn't watching! Sorry Loz!

Thanks Mark, if you dmail me your friends email addy I might contact her, maybe next year!

I listed the seeds above from silverhill, it was marginally less in price than the order came to with postage, so it looks like they have them all, the exchange rate is taken into account. Just over £40 in total!

(trying again, got a No Data notice!)
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
2:20 PM

Post #2778370

Ohhhhhhhhh dear... sorry to hear you werent happy with her plants!!!... But then again its nothing to do with me i guess!! LOL
As a matter of interest, what was wrong with them???

Ok, i will d-mail you the addy in a while...

Hope the order arrives ok and they do well for you me dear...!!! Should be fun growing that lot!!!!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 2, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #2778408

Mark
Crazy about the hostas name as well, I get a good laugh
I bought then here
http://www.theplantexplorer.dk/Oversigt2.htm
it is less expensive that the first one I send, and the hostas are very fine

Janet.
You are totally right, they can be greedy LOL, have saved the link. Thanks
Wow, Bowden's really have lots of hostas! Will have to go back at look at them again.
Was not into hostas before, but wow there are so many that there is one for every taste.
I love the big ones, they look exotic in a garden.
Hope your order get safe to you ;o))

Monica
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2778646

Thanks Monica

I will have a look at that site later...

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
5:52 PM

Post #2778966

Mark, as stated above on the 11.11am post (12.11 actually)

"I bought one from her, and swapped a couple, but hers were small, hard pieces and either died, reverted, or didn't do well! Mine were large, growing divisions, live and learn!"

Yes I will have fun growing them , along with all the Chilean seed I have yet to sow!

zest, Bowden's hostas are very good, they only send them in the growing season when they are in leaf, I would recommend them to anyone. My tastes needs to be narrowed to the very special ones if I get any more. They can become addictive!
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
7:33 PM

Post #2779192

Hostas slug pellets? I can't afford them both Lol

No seriously i tried some from seed this summer and have been really surprised at how easy it was. I have quite a few in the garden i think the key is to grow them in a sunny spot and then the slugs leave well alone.

Mark, I know what you men about who's sorting out the bedding at brigg Lol I didn't like to say that as you never know who you are offending!
I know a few stories about the garden centers near here but thats a whole new thread. And not for general viewing Lol

The Italian stuff i was talking of was not the normal specimens. There are hundreds of small nurseries in the north. We will see.

Have fun with those Slug foods

Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2779574

Janet
oooooooooooooppssss missed what you said on the 12.11 post... dont know how but i did! Sorry!
Oh dear... doesnt sound very good... like you say, you live and learn!!

Chilean seed too... you are gonna be busy!!!

All i have to worry about are my good old crocosmia...

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2779607

I am going to try growing some Hosta from seed i think... Got some free from Ian Scroggy once!!! When do you sow them??????????????/

Oh so you know about the bedding at Brigg...??? How you know about that then???? LOL
Doesnt bother me at all if i offend the Stubs's...
tell me more...I like stories about what goes on in Garden Centres...hehehehehehe

The Italian stuff has gotta be better than the dutch... cant be any worse!!!

Here is a good tip for keeping slugs or anything else off your plants!!! As soon as the plants appear in spring, make up a garlic solution and spray your plants!!!! Not a slug or anything else will go near your plants!! Plus its totally organic!!!

Thats my tip for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2779716

Great tip Mark!

I sow Hosta seed in March in a greenhuose, they do grow easily, mine are usually kept fairly shaded but I don't think a little sun hurts for starting them.

Keep them in their trays for a year or two (depending on how robust they are) until they get some size, the roots will be better developed and they transplant well then.

Gonna be busy? I already am!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2006
6:08 AM

Post #2781186

Thanks for the info Janet... I will try to grow some! Canr remember now what they are, but when i find the little packets i will let you know!!

Wow, keep them in trays for 2 years???? Thats a long time...

I am already busy Janet... Work and garden when i can!!
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2006
7:30 PM

Post #2782499

Garlic barrier thats awfull stuff.Lol We tested it a couple of years and i think washing everything in rain water is more effective heheh
I do love the way every gardener gets different results and each person swears by there way. As you will see by my different hosta seed sowing method shortly heheh. We used the Garlic barrier think its the william sinclair one so could be under new horizons brand but could be any of there brands. It didn't stop spider mite and greenfly. But did stink the greenhouses out so badly no people went near Lol.

Seriously it wouldn't be right for me to say on here about the garden centres as you never know who reads this stuff.

My Hosta seed was sown in may but left in one of those cheap plastic propagators in the north side of the house so it didn't get too hot. I was looking for an even temperature of about 18oC night and day. They come up in less than 3 months. I potted them into cells when they where small as the roots can be brittle. Like i say everyone has there own way! Lol To be honest i did them late as every flat surface is taken up with bedding from end of Jan onwards.

Speak soon

Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2006
7:45 PM

Post #2782534

Mike

I am not on about garlic barrier that you buy from the shop... that is rubbish!!
I make my own... Derrick Target the collection holder of Hosta at somerby uses it every year on his hosta and there isnt one nibble on his hosta!!!

I use it on my crocosmia... nothing goes near them!! Plus it makes the leaves shine on your hostas and crocosmia!!!!!

Email me then Mike about garden centres... that way no one will be able to read it.
markfox2001@ntlworld.com

Every surface i have is taken up with crocosmia plants... Stacked in a pyramid form for the winter...!!!! From December until march!

Mark

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2006
8:25 PM

Post #2782624

Phew bet his garden smells B U Beatifull Lol It does make sense though. Just can't see me being bothered. Far to lazy.

All i can say is maybe its a waste of lovely surfaces hehehe Only jokin.

Honestly my lips are seald on the story telling front. Some of these people influence my life or are customers of ours so its really not fair. But i figured you'd know about the stubs affair. Lol It didn't seem to be a secret. I heard about a year ago the guy that owns the field opposite wyevale near you was setting up a garden centre (he used to grow straw berries) have you heard anything? Also it was in the news about Greenways closing down. i think there up your neck of the woods too.? Stubs family any closer to finding a place the other side of the humber bridge? It does amaze me that there are no real big succesfull centres in lincolnshire all the big ones are big because there big, not because there good!.
A friend of the family owns Strikes/Klondike's so i had the grand tour round there newest one. Was a real eye opener. Still not a plant persons store but good retail standards etc.

Its a very small industry.

Mike

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2006
9:59 PM

Post #2782900

surprisingly, it doesnt smell at all... amazing isnt it!!! But, the main thing is it works...

I dont blame you for keeping your lips sealed... like you say, you never know whos watching!!! Or who knows who... not that it bothers me... i dont know anyone!!
Wyevale... isn't that in Louth?????????? Noooooooo, i dont know anything about the guy that is setting up a garden centre...
Never heard of Greenways either...LOL
The stubs, found a place in Lancashire... but that seems to have died a death... probably fell through!!
I think they have enough on their hands with Brigg and that other dump they own!!!
Personally i detest garden centres... i much prefer to find a little nursery somewhere in the middle of nowhere, that just sells plants and nothing else!!
I dont want to go to a graden centre and trapse round all the giftware and clothing and garden chairs and all that junk... i am there for the plants or the compost!!! Mind you... with big garden centres, that means buying dutch plants i guess...
Where are Strikes/Klondike's?????????????
Non of em are plant persons stores anymore...LOL

Oh yes... its a small industry!!

Have you ever been to cottage nurseries at Alford...???
Its a bit run down but some of the plants are fantastic... find alsorts in there!!

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2006
1:29 PM

Post #2784501

Monica

Your Tacca seed and some others i have picked out for you... are on their way over to you as i write this!!!!!

I have no idea how long it will take to reach you... but shouldnt be too long!!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 4, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #2784872

Hi Mark
Delightful, can hardy waith LOL
Thanks very much

Monica :o))
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2006
3:37 PM

Post #2785051

Monica, Surely you have not asked for crocosmia bulbs!! Lol

Mind you. You could return the favour and send some of that clover of yours heheheh

I need to be more carefull about being rude about plant types it could back fire if i ever start to like them. Mind you i'm still young so a long while before i start buying an old ladies plants. Lol

Mike
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2006
5:12 PM

Post #2785352

Mike

Nooooooooooooooooo just Tacca seed... and some others that i sent for her to try out!! Because i am sooooooooooooooooooo kind!!!! LOL

I don't want any clover... got enough weeds!!!!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you are getting so cheeky young man!!!!!
LMAO

MONICA... YOU ARE WELCOME... HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 4, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2785714

Ohh what are we going to do with you Mike LOL, we sould send you a ton of oxalis and
Crocosmias LOL ;o))). You`ll surely be smitten with then :o))

Mark
You are right Mike is getting cheeky LOL (has a wonderful humour, but don`t tell him that hehe :o))
That you are, a very kind gentleman, thanks for the seeds
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2785912

Eh, I'm going deaf in my old age Lol
I had a nightmare last night someone had taken offence at my jokes and covered my garden in old ladies plants ...

heheheh
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 4, 2006
8:58 PM

Post #2785982

ohhhh old lady... watch out you don`t get grey hairs from that nightmare LOL
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2787135

The good news is... someone has already covered his garden with crocosmia!!!!! LOL

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
8:29 AM

Post #2787402

http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/5330361

work in progress!!!!!!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 5, 2006
10:19 AM

Post #2787453

I smell conspiracy in the air hahahah

Mark your site is coming along very nicely, good job :o))
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
10:39 AM

Post #2787463

Yes i agree... i smell conspiracy in the air also...LOL

Thank you Monica... i was inspired by you, my favourite Dane!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 5, 2006
10:42 AM

Post #2787465

Danes were vikings you know, did a lot of mischievousness in your part of the world LOL
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
10:44 AM

Post #2787466

Yes i know...
The viking way passes through my village!!!! Do you know about the viking way??????????????
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2787469

http://www.walkingontheweb.co.uk/Defined%20Routes/Viking%20Way.htm

www.caistor.net ... my village!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2787582

Congratulations Mark, looking great so far! I like your face page pic (the crocosmia!), I did one of those shot in the mirror portraits too!

I guess you have come across Trecanna, they have a lot of crocosmia, including Pepper, not available at the moment, but quite nice and I gather rare too. They have many other Sth African bulbs too. You might find something you don't have!

http://www.trecanna.co.uk/search.asp?whichpage=7&pagesize=30&price=&search=&strSQL=SELECT+id%2Cname%2Ctype%2Cprice%2Ccode%2Ccolour%2Cproducer%2Climitedavailability+FROM+products+WHERE+%28+type+%3D+%27Crocosmia%27++%29+AND+onhold+%3C%3E+%27Yes%27+ORDER+BY+type%2C+name%2C+price
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #2787602

Why Thank you Janet
Oh so you do the face in the mirror thing too...LOL. Great fun i think!!!

Yep i know Trecanna... run by a chap called Mark Walsh...!!
Yes i know he has quite a few crocosmia... he is still after one of mine that is sooooooooooo rare!! But it is a very slow grower and i cant give him any yet. I am sure he thinks i dont want him to have any of it...LOL
He holds African Bulb open days everyso often!! You should go...

If you look on the site i made, in the links... you will see he is there!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
1:02 PM

Post #2787684

Mark, I just got lost on your links! I have come across or dealt with most of them, the Cottage Nursery near Alford is very tempting, they have the best and latest, many plants there that I had at some time wanted but not yet got!

Perhaps a trip there is due next year!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
1:08 PM

Post #2787696

I go to cottage nursery every fortnight or so... it looks like a rough place but he has some real treasures!!!! You should go!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006

Post #2787707

Hmmm, not the best time of year, great for planting perennials but I just have too much already at the mo, spring time after a long winter might be great, even if I don't have the space yet!

I'm about to place another seed order with www.jjaseeds.com !
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2787721

True, not the best time... same here, i have far far to many!! LOL
Maybe the winter will kill a few off for me...!!

OMG another seed order... you must have seeds coming out your ears!!
What you ordered now???

Will look at the site in a min!!

Mark
Oh by the way check out my site i am building!! http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2787726

This is a little part of it Janet... as i said it doesnt look much, but wow... he has some nice plants!!! A pure gardeners nursery!!!

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2787769

Probably place the order tonight! Gotta go out for supplies...not garden supplies!

I think I have about finalised it, this means I will be putting the malesiana on hold, this takes priority...and all for the price of a book!

here is my pending list

Corydalis integra
Corydalis caseana
Eucomis montana
Fritillaria recurva Siskiyou Summit coll.
Gladiolus orchidiflorus
Gladiolus uysiae
Iris chrysographes (had black form once, it got trod on and just went forever!)
Lilium auratum
Gladiouls dalenii lime green form
Gladiolus ecklonii

These are quoted in $US but are in Wales, they do their own collecting and get seed from the best sources, often private collections and all have collection notes and originations.

Oh dear Mark, I think you have too many irons in the fire! Pssssst...nobody's listening...you put your site link above!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
3:45 PM

Post #2788200

Sounds like you are gonna be a busy girl...

Wow... some lovely plants there... hope they all grow for you Janet!!! All for the price of a book...LOL

How come they are quoted in $ when they are in Wales.?? Strange!! At least they sound like they are a decent company!!

Too many irons in the fire... Hmmmm i don't know what you mean Janet!!!!
did you have a look at the site????????????

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2788750

Yes I did look at your site, and the Links! I'm impressed, you will need it when you achieve your Nat. Collection Status!

I really don't know why they have it in $, something tells me they may have a contact/office in the States to get around import regs, but I may be wrong.

Look at the 'About us' tab, also if you click the 'genus' tab you will get general info about the genii (is that correct plural?)

Busy is fun!!!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2789045

Why thank you... Nooooooooo I wont need it as such, but its good for getting people to realise how beautiful crocosmia are!!

Yes you are probably right... could be that its an american company based in Wales!!!

Havent had a look at the site yet... been slightly busy tonite, but i will look tomorrow!!
Genii... doesnt look right, but it could be!! LOL

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss busy is real fun!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 5, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2789122

Hi Mark
Thanks for the links, they are very intersting. Who would have thought Caistor coomes from the latin word for camp :o)
Like the viking way link, did not know it existed at all.
Nice to see were there are walks all over Europe as well

wow Janet that is quite a collection you are gathering. Hope you post some photos next year :o))
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
10:27 PM

Post #2789156

Monica, I don't think any of those will be ready to flower next year, but if you know me I am ALWAYS posting photos!

Mark, more likely a Welsh company with American links I think! I would say the market is geared towards attracting the Americans, payment is in $US and can be paid by Paypal, but they say there is a BP converter (on shopping cart I imagine!)
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
8:32 AM

Post #2790209

Hi Monica
You are welcome for the links...Thats because Caistor was a Roman Camp...!!

The viking way is amazing... we have hoards of people arrive all summer long to walk a few miles on the viking way!! Amazing to think you Danes ravishing our women and killing our countrymen... yet we still talk to you!! LOL
sorry i didn't really mean that... joking!!
Hey, check out the ABOUT ME page Monica... you are in there!!!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
8:38 AM

Post #2790211

Janet

Hmmmmmm, yes you are probably right... still havent had time to look at that site yet...!!
Been a bit busy building mine!! LOL
Wonder if that book will turn up this week... doubt it now!!!

Mark
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 6, 2006
10:21 AM

Post #2790267

LOL reminded my of Mrs Hyacinth BOUQUET when she was in Copenhagen and whent panic when she remembered about the vikings, love that series.
Wow thank’s for mentioning me on your page :o))) I am very honoured :o))
Hope your book comes soon.

Janet you are right about posting your photos, they are a delight here in DG
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
11:17 AM

Post #2790324

ohhhhhhhhhhh Hyacinth Bucket... lol
I havent seen that, when she was in Copenhagen...
Awww, I knew you would love a mention in my site... i like the idea that people can go to your site and view all your weeds!! LOL LOL LOL
Yes, i hope the book comes soon... may even copy a page out of it and put it on here, just to make Janet jealous!! hahahahahahaha

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
11:20 AM

Post #2790332

Mark, they probably have to get the book fromSth Africa! I wonder if they own the shop, the Publishers that is, as I mentioned before the price was the same. They may just gather a bunch of orders before bringing them over.

Thank you Monica!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
11:21 AM

Post #2790333

I heard that re-mark, Mark!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
11:27 AM

Post #2790349

OOOOOOOOOOOOPSSSSSSS!!!!! hahahahahahahaha
didn't know you were there Janet!!!!!

It says on the site that delivery is within 10 days!!!!!
So, yes maybe they do have to get the book from Sth Africa!! I guess it would cost a fortune to get the books over from S.A... so yeah maybe they wait until they have a bunch of orders!!
we will never really know...
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2791395

You didn't get your book yet because there waiting for the money to clear. They couldn't believe someone would really want that book for that kind of money so they think its a joke order

Lol

I have some weed ident books if you want to borrow them. Lol

Only joking no sending me dmail bombs!

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
7:56 PM

Post #2791755

mike you do go on a bit! (as if I don't, but mine is, hopefully, more to the point!))

Payment on-line is always by credit, not cheque, but I suppose you already know that.

Checked on the date you bought Mark, evening of 29th, that's 7 days so shouldn't be long. Pleeeease photocopy the pages (all of them) then I can just save them! (hehe)

Well, I did it, placed my order with jjaseeds! A bit steep, but good seeds always are, after all they do collect many of them, lucky things! $5 postage too, it's the same wherever and payment via Paypal is in $. Pays a little for their airfares to collect the seed.

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
8:06 PM

Post #2791790

Hey Janet

Of course he knows that already!!!! LOL

Of course i will copy the pages for you... i will scan and then send you a couple pages every night!!!
Seriously though, if you want me to scan some parts for you, i will... you know, the plates etc!!

$5 postage isnt that bad really... I wouldnt mind paying that!!
I had a quick look at the site... they have some decent stuff... may have a closer look for myself...hehe

Monica received her Tacca seed i sent her... so she will have some fun!!!! I sent her a few other packets for her to try...

Mark
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
8:11 PM

Post #2791806

Mike

Actually the book was quite cheap compared to some places that sell it... Should be a good reference book i think!!!
It may even convince me to start a collection of Gladiolus... you never know!!!
I just checked my NCCPG Collections Directory... no one has the national collection of species Gladiolus!! There you go Janet... something for you to maybe look into!!

Maybe Monica with her Oxalis would love to borrow your weed book Mike!!! LOL
I already have my own... its called Crocosmia and Chasmanthe

Mark

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2791833

Janet

Have you ever had any seed from kirstenbosch ??????????????

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2791907

No Mark, I have seen there is a members group, but if I remember right it was quite restricted.

Have you?
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
10:00 PM

Post #2792121

Yeah i got some crocosmia seed... a friend of mine orders from them sometimes...
she is in the trade, so i guess thats why she can order!!!!

Its one heck of a catalogue...

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2792177

Shame, there are some great things there! I got an email pdf of Penroc seeds well over a year ago, impossible to go through, but I found some great things. Trouble is they only accept bank transfers, I passed them by but in the future, well...giving bank details to Sth Africa is risky too, even the bank staff are half crooked! Paypal only gives them the money, it's time more of them went that route.

I did come across another interesting site recently, their seeds I was informed was only wholesale, but they do sell bulbs and have some really rarish stuff. They take credit card, but is email ordering and still risky. Besides, I keep spending too much!

I bought Protea seeds and a couple of other things from finebushpeople.co.za, they are family run and only they have access to the decoder for credit cards.

I won't hold you to copying you whole book, but it would be good!

Handy to have friends in the trade!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2006
10:45 PM

Post #2792288

Janet

Have found the kirstenbosch pdf if you want to have a look????? If you d-mail me your email address i will send you it... also i will be able to send you the pages of the book too.!!! when i get it...

More and more companies are catching on to the paypal thing i think...

There is no way i would send bank details or credit card info to south adrica... NOOOOOOOOOO WAY!!!! lol

I will copy you the whole book, but will be in tastey bits every nite!!!!

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2792510

Oooooohhhhhh, lucky me!

OK!!!!! Would love to look at the kirstenbosch pdf!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2006
8:17 AM

Post #2793355

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH yes lucky you!!!!

You should have it by now... its a big file!!!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 7, 2006
9:04 AM

Post #2793377

yeps been busy reading with my seeds, and planning what`s and were`s for next year.
Will probably undo the hole thing during the boring and dark winter months coming ahed.
Thanks for the seeds and your message in my guestbook LOL very funny LOL :o)

Monica
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2006
9:52 AM

Post #2793389

Monica

If you want any more seeds to play with... you can have some!!!
I am sure you will sort it all out before4 next spring!! LOL
You should have some lovely plants next year if they all grow!!!!
LOL... Loved writing that message in your guest book...

Mark
Baa

October 7, 2006
10:37 AM

Post #2793413

I order from Kirstenbosch, you have to get in very early to get the choice seeds, we've ordered two weeks after the catalogue was produced and still not been able to get some species.

Baa

October 7, 2006
10:38 AM

Post #2793415

nd going back up about 100 posts LOL Wallaby yes I have some other Glad species growing from seed but they are under the bench in the greenhouse at the moment.
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 7, 2006
11:24 AM

Post #2793456

LOL yes Baa it is getting long :o)
Thanks for your kind offer Mark, but I think I almost have enough plants for next year :o)
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2793709

Yes mark, got it! THANKYOU!

I spent some time reading, a quick stroll thru the seeds, I see where some other seed sellers get their seeds from, good prices too! It does look like anyone can order, I had only come across their Botanical Soc. before and it seemed , at the time to be restricted to SA only.

The pdf from penroc is on an old computer, which seems to have lost it's windows page but some things can be found by bringing up a menu at the top somehow! If I found it I don't think I could print it off, it was one of those mile wide things. I could email it to myself, maybe IF I can find it. I have used the computer on the odd occasion when my new one has frozen up, but sometimes it can play strange games. I just wish these people in SA could make things easier!

The last company I got the list of bulbs from was www.simplyindigenous.co.za remember they only sell seed wholesale but have some great bulbs, with a large minimum order.

This is how they require payment

"Payment can be made by credit card (only master or visa) or by international money transfer. It is far too dangerous to send any cheques to South Africa & cash is an absolute NO. We require authorization from our bankers before we may process large international credit card transactions (at this time approximately US$3000.00 +). Credit card details may be faxed to us or emailed in 2 or 3 separate emails if you prefer, for security reasons. Please fax or email us a short note with all your details (name, address, contact numbers, passport number) clearly stating that you authorize us to charge the specific amount to your credit card. No matter how big or small the transaction might be, our bank insists that all international credit card charges are accompanied by the client’s authorization in writing."

Hmmm, they might just as well mug me in the street and steal my passport!

Baa, when do Kirstenbosch put out their new catalogue, it would appear as from 1st January as the one Mark sent stated valid until end Dec 05 I think.
Baa

October 7, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2793878

Yes it's January.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2794050

I am trying to get the 2006 catalogue... if my friend has it!!!

Yes anyone can order from them i think... i got some added to an order my friend in the trade was getting!!
They have some really amazing plants... most of which i have never heard of!!!

Hope my book arrives next week...LOL

Mark

mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2006
7:22 PM

Post #2794418

Eh I ramble on a bit???!!!

If i could be bothered i'd add up the above replies and check that that statment for legal purposes! Lol

Over 200 replies about weeds and old ladies plants heheheh
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2794776

wow... are we up to 200 already??
Shall we go for the world record????????????????
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2797113

Well that depends on you and the lady oz. Lol You two could talk all day about your daffodil collections Hehehe

Ok so there posh dafs! Lol

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2797844

Lady Oz... ooooooooooooooooooooo dear!!!

Baa... can i ask you... are you male or female???????????????

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2797916

He means the Wizard!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2797928

He means you are a kangaroo i think...LOL
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 8, 2006
11:05 PM

Post #2797945

Oh gosh and I thought I was up late LOL
Need some translation with the oz thing LOL don`t know if it is because I am sleepy to death (it is 01.00 am here).
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
11:18 PM

Post #2797987

Hi Monica
Yesssssssssssssssss we all up late tonite...LOL
I am off to my bed now...!!

I will leave Janet to explain the Oz thing...LOL

Take care
Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2798043

Oz = Australian! Wallaby also Australian.

You must be 1 hour ahead of us zest!
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 9, 2006
7:51 AM

Post #2799324

Ohhh yes of course LOL, got it ;o)))
Yeps we are a hooooole hour older here LOL.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006

Post #2799325

Yessssssssssssssssss one hour in front, as is the rest of europe... LOL

Hows things with you Monica...???
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 9, 2006
8:49 AM

Post #2799344

Fine fine :o))
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
8:58 AM

Post #2799346

When do you start getting snow there?????????????????
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 9, 2006
9:13 AM

Post #2799348

Hmm… that is a tricky question. Actually we can go a hole winter with out snow.
There is a lot of terrible winds and frost though, probably worse for the plants, as snow gives a bit of protection (so I am told anyway).
You never now when it will snow; some were between early november to april ;o))
And if it does it often melts very quickly.
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
9:24 AM

Post #2799356

Oh really... I always thouight Denmark was a snow covered country!!!!!
Yes, the wind and frosts are bad for the plants... much better to have lots of snow and that will give some protection to plants!!!

Sounds a lot like our weather...
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 9, 2006
9:54 AM

Post #2799362

I think it is Mark, lots of rain, wind and hard frost.
Nice... LOL
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
9:57 AM

Post #2799365

Brrrrrrr and it will soon be here... can't wait until spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love spring more than any other season!!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2006
12:32 PM

Post #2799545

I just got back from a trip to one of the (2) garden centers (the one that actually still sells a few plants and not just giftware and stuff like that) - bought "a few" bulbs and came across Gladiolus byzantinus corms. Ofcourse I HAD to buy them and give them a try - have any of you grown these? Is it safe for me to plant them outside? I looked them up in the plantfiles and it says hardy to z5 ... are they really? Gladiolus seems so tender to me :-) Thinking about planting them up against my south wall to keep them dry and cozy over winter - shouldn't they be safe there?
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006

Post #2799648

Good for you rannveig! If they are selling them I would think they should have a reasonable chance of surviving!

I have G communis ssp byzantinus, or it is suppsed to be that! I have it next to my south facing wall, they die off in the summer and are kept quite dry, except for a little water I give to the hardy fuchsias I have there. They takeover after the glads have died back, and will help to keep the bulbs dry by taking up water.

I have pics in PF, my main lot I lifted when revamping the bed and didn't get htem replanted but they set seed and Ihave them all over!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2006
4:53 PM

Post #2800389

Thanks wallaby - I'll try planting them against my soutfacing wall and see how it goes! When does yours flower?
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2800574

Hmm now don't tell me you took offence at the lady Oz thing that is completely not what was meant. Notice by the Lady part and Oz yes simply i'm assuming Australian.
You could be right about the world record thing though that was half a dozen replies discussing my Lady oz comment. Lol

Earlier on we where talking Hosta seed. Has anyone taken seed of there hostas? Mine have seed pods for the first time ever. Is it worth the bother?

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2800597

They started late May to early June, I have a pic with one well budded on 13th May and this one was on 26th May

Thumbnail by wallaby1

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2006
6:09 PM

Post #2800651

That is a beauty! Since they flower that early they should stand a chance of flowering here before the end of summer :-)

Zest - I looked at that link you sent of the Hostas - never knew there were so many! Really enjoyed it - bookmarket it so I can go back and visit again!

Mike - my Hostas hardly ever flower and never set seed so I can't be of any help reg. your question - sorry :-)
mike_freck
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2800686

Well if we find out its worth it i'll send you some if you'd like. there seems to be lots.
Mike
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2801106

thanks Mike!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
9:01 AM

Post #2802848

ooooooooooooooooooooo thats pretty Janet... I am getting into these now!!!!!!
Baa

October 10, 2006
10:50 AM

Post #2802921

Baa... can i ask you... are you male or female???????????????

You can ask, you proved you could ;)

If I had a quid for every time someone asked me that question I'd have about £716.50, the 50ps are from those who have admitted to me that they chickened out asking the question *G*. I've even been into unisex hairdressers and they've been confused over which section to send me.

Baa the Androgenous

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
11:17 AM

Post #2802964

I like that answer Baa! The answer is, a human being! The very reason I title myself 'Ms' instead of 'Mrs'! It really should be none of those either, a 'Mr' doesn't have a married alternative!

Mark, well you tried! Curiosity got a clever reply!

BTW Mark, has your book arrived yet? AND do you have your Nat. Coll. status? Pleeeease may the gods grant you this! Have you looked at the larger pics of the page of species pics I Iinked to above? It is Sooo easy to get into Glad species when you see those!

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
11:39 AM

Post #2802992

Its your fault Janet... you told me to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss the book has arrived... this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sent you a pic of the front cover to make you jealous!!!!!

National Collection status... I wont know until the NCCPG panel have their meeting on 8th November... they will then discuss my collection and everything about it... THEN they will decide YES or NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have verything crossed... hopeing that they say yes...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No, i havent looked at the larger pics of Glad species yet... Havent had much time today!!!!! BUT I WILL LOOK LATER!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
11:54 AM

Post #2803011

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2803013

Cheeky young man! I had to go and check on that! Thanks for the giggle!

Anyone wanting to know what the book looks like, well, unless you're prepared to fork out the money I wouldn't go there!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2803014

WORTH EVERY PENNY OF THE £33
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
11:56 AM

Post #2803015

Well, get prepared to fork out the money folks!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
11:58 AM

Post #2803018

I am not showing anyone anything but the cover... my my there are some beautiful plates to look at!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahaha you checked at what did you find????????????????????? LOL

Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
11:59 AM

Post #2803025

Gladiolus Leptosiphon... is gorgeous Janet!!!!!
Have you got one of those??????? hehehehehe
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
12:04 PM

Post #2803040

Err, just checked the list, no!

I can see we will be collecting these together, and there will be two Nat. Collections then!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
12:08 PM

Post #2803047

Wanna see a pic of that one Janet????????????????? hehehehe

Yes i can see we will be collecting together... but i will let you claim the nat collection staus...!!!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
12:12 PM

Post #2803056

Don't tease, yes pleeease!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2803064

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2803079

Oh dear it doesnt appear to have worked... i downloaded the pic, but it isnt here
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 10, 2006
5:17 PM

Post #2803953

Hurraaaa!!! The book has arrived :o) and nice cover to LOL.

Janet how many glads do you have? Love the color the purple one has.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #2803970

Monica, I have 18 new lots of seed coming that I have just bought! I wish I had got more!

At the moment I have speices dalenii, communis ssp. byzantinus, papilio Purpureoauratus Group, and the G callianthus which is easily bought here and recently called Acidanthera.

Lots to go!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2803990

LOL... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the book has arrived Monica... its fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Me thinks Janet may be ordering it too... if she hasnt already!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Awwwwwwwwwww, not too many to go Janet... you will get there!!!

Mark
PS Gladiolus part 2 now exists... see the lovely pic on there Monica
zest
Horsens
Denmark

October 10, 2006
6:09 PM

Post #2804118

Nice collection Janet, don`t blame you wanting more :o))

Mark I think you are right heheh
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
7:21 PM

Post #2804340

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am sure i am right...

You should see all the lovely draeings in the book Monica... they are sooooooooooo lovely!!
There are around 114 of them i think...

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006

Post #2804419

I think more like 145 drawings!

Oooooooooh yeeeeeesssssssssss! I DID buy it! I'm spending money now like I have got some!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2006
4:15 AM

Post #2806030

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will love it Janet...You should have just bought it when i did. LOL
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2006

Post #2812697

Oh wow Janet... this book is fantastic reading...!!!!!
Very hard going in some places, but soooooooooooooooooo fascinating!! I am learning more and more about these Plants...

Start a Glad forum Janet...

Mark
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
11:29 AM

Post #2812842

First I think I will test the water on the bulbs forum, drum up a bit of support!

A lot of people don't even know that Dave's Garden Discussion Forum exists, or don't visit it!
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2006
11:43 AM

Post #2812866

Yes i think maybe you are right Janet... I got your email about it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America