Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: Good website to buy seeds at a good price

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 31, Views: 558
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2756393

Hi, I am new at this, I am looking for a good site to buy seeds. I am not very lucky with seeds so I don't want to spend a lot of money... and I am looking for easy things to plant more like low maintenance because I am pretty busy with my roses...
any suggestions????

thanks
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2006
3:02 AM

Post #2756412

This is just one place I have bought seeds from.
http://valueseeds.com/
No matter how many you order shipping is only 99 cents :o)

Also if you know what you are looking for and the names, check out the seed trade forum, alot of people will except sasbe with out trading for something else. cg

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2756459

Here's a source of inexpensive seed that might be an outlet for Thompson & Morgan's more expensive seed: http://www.valueseeds.com/

This one has generous packets of seed that actually turn out to be less expensive per seed than others. It's very educational in that you learn so much about the contexts of the seed in terms of its native habitat, ethnic botany, and seed viability, germination, etc. - http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

Not many catalogs sell flower seed by color as this one does; also, they have a great selection of Chinese members of the cabbage family - http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront It's a commercial business that sells retail seed at lower prices than others.

Pinetree Seeds has a large selection of vegies - "common" or ethnic" plus flowers and herbs and garden doodads and books. Seed packets have very low prices, but the hitch is that you are actually spending more per seed than a more expensive packet with more seed in many cases. Still, if you want to try a large variety of seed for less money, you can't go wrong here - http://www.superseeds.com/home.htm

Many unusual plants, along with heirlooms - many of them fragrant - can be found at: http://www.fragrantpathseeds.com/ Unless otherwise noted, I thought the seed packs were pretty generous.

How about checking out the Garden Watchdog tab at the top of DG's webpage?

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2006
3:25 AM

Post #2756464

Oops - cegoins we crossed in cyberspace
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2006
3:52 AM

Post #2756543

thanks...

I want cosmos (all kinds and colors) zinias, ivory marigolds, baby's breath ( I planted 3 packs and just got a handful... so I want to buy at least 10 packs to get some decent amount!!!!)

I will check that site... thanks so much!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2006
4:16 AM

Post #2756585

Thanks so much... I am so glad... I found some seeds already on Value seeds ... I was about to place an order... I am going to check these other sites first!!! you guys are great!!!!
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2006
4:28 AM

Post #2756610

DGer's aim to please :o)

Hey blue, I checked some of those other sites out, thanks for posting them.

cg zooming by lol
Gina_Rose
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 25, 2006
7:32 PM

Post #2758004

Last night I came across this site:
http://www.dianeseeds.com/Index.html
Some packets have 1000+ seeds for just $2...
plus, they have some unique things there!

I also have to give a 3rd vote for valueseeds.com- they're great!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2006
7:55 PM

Post #2758093

That's good to know... I am placing an order soon because I want to be ready fro wintersow... thanks ... I definitly will get Zinnias from this site...
blpender
Dowagiac, MI

September 26, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #2761599

I've purchased a lot of seeds from Value Seed. They have no frills packaging, and their shipping is only $1 no matter how many packets of seeds you buy. Seed range in price starting at 9 cents up to, I think 79 cents or so.
I've been very happy with the seeds, and any time I've had a question, I've gotten an email reply almost immediately
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #2761825

Kassia - I grew Sweet Cream Marigold this summer and have lotz of seed. It's an ivory colored one and gets about 12 to 15" tall. The flowers are about 2 inches. If you'd like some for postage, let me know.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2006
2:36 AM

Post #2762060

Beaker, thanks... I would love some seeds... I will d-mail you and you let me know what to send you... I have white datura seeds in case you would like some...

I really appreciate...

this is the only ones I got from 2 big jars of mixed seeds... I heard that cosmos reseed and they should be put on bare ground... I hope it works for me... So far the only thing I had luck with seeds are morning glory...oh well, I need to get better at this...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2762073

Sunny points to bluespiral's nick and tells DH..."She showed it to me"!

I fell into the habit already...first time purchase at ValueSeeds!

ACK~ help me!

~Sunny
kaykay1010
Cincinnati, OH

September 30, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2771465

ENABLERS...All of you are enablers!! I was watching this thread and HAD to go and check out these sites...Guess who bought $20.00 in seeds from value seeds? You know how many seeds that is? You are all enablers!! LOL
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2006
1:54 AM

Post #2771486

good, because I spent as much as you!!!! lol... what did you get???

Gina_Rose
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 30, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2771637

haha, I have you both beat at $30.00!
This site I should have mentioned earlier: http://www.hardyplants.com/seeds/index.html
It's awesome... has new varieties of all kinds of seeds, especially Salvias (which is what I mainly bought, along with alot of Agastache too).
I had to Google some varieties they had, then I entered them into the PlantFiles :) Score!
...well, still at minus 30!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #8182067

I just fell in love with bopth of thse, for different reasons:
========================
Jonna Sudenius: http://www.seedsite.eu/
========================
HAZZARDS GREEN HOUSE /SEEDS great prices for 1,000 2,000 seeds
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...
=====================

Jonna has great variety (especially slavias!) and great prices, and will shipo 8 packets from belgium for $1.50- $2.

Hazzard's has wholesale prices, but cheap shipping and no minimum order. $6-7 for 1,000 seeds is a bargain, you can buy single-colors, and then trade them!

Corey
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8183243

there is also watersuntogether.com
and cheapseeds.com

cheapseeds sells large quantities for a low price and has free shipping and really good service.
watersuntogether sells burpee seeds for 99cents a pkg and free shipping if you buy 10

MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

November 1, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #8188467

The information is good however the one seed company is not available at this time. When I checked this is what I found.

Seed from Valueseeds.com is no longer available, but you will find some great bargains in the new Thompson & Morgan Sale.
Growing Guides for your previous purchases are still available.
Thank you to all our past customers at the home of no-frills gardening.

I hope this help.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8394188

Wow! This thread is almost 5 years old, but good info is priceless. Let's keep this going. Another thing is to participate in seed exchanges. Many times you come away with much more than you bring to it for some reason. There are many generous traders, and at times, if you just ask for a type of seed, you may get more than one response and they ship it to you with no thought of compensation, even postage, though I think it is polite to offer a sasbe for them.

Any more ideas?

Yes, I noticed that valueseeds.com still has the germination info for their seeds so even if we can no longer buy from them, there is handy info for free. I am always amazed when a large company does anything for free, as it is rare these days. T&M has been purchased by a larger corp. unfortunately. I do not recall which one...
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8394195

this might sound weird but i have gotten some great seeds on ebay. mostly things i either could not find elsewhere and the shipping is very reasonable.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8394803

Karen ~ What vendors do you like from ebay?
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8394908

kionafarm
grocoseeds
mazaltov73
srsj1234
weboflife
georgiavines
zanna1
mowsgarden
calseeds
bobtodd1-he is only vendor not in US

these are just the ones i have bought from with good results, decent shipping, fast service, nice looking seeds, bobtodd1 has a lot of hard to find seeds. some of the others have a lot of native seeds. i am sure there are way more good ones, i saw a few in australia that have some really cool looking things. georgiavines is a little higher than the rest but has some really beautiful flowering vines seeds i could not afford to buy as plants. now i just have to get them all planted !!! you sort of have to be really careful the way you pay for things, so you get the best shipping rate, and you really have to check the number of seeds you are getting. some vendors sell packets of 5 or 10 seeds, others sell packets of 50, or 100 or more and the price can be the same for 5 seeds from one person as it is for 50 from someone else. also have to watch the shipping costs. (you can tell i spend a lot of time looking and comparing before i purchase anything) I find their "watch list" fuction very useful, put everything i am interested in in my watch list, then compare, then buy. but hey, i am retired and it's winter, so i have lots of time. hope this helps
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8394909

forgot this:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147231/

this thread is about buying seeds from ebay/amazon., who people like, who they dont like. there is also a thread like this for tropical plants on ebay.
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8714306

I just stumbled across this thread while looking for something else, and noticed a link for Diane's Seeds:
http://www.dianeseeds.com/Index.html

I have never bought seeds from Diane, but I have purchased Daylilies from her, and the plants were amazing! Every one of them were the correct plant, and they were huge! I can't imagine that her seeds would be any less perfect than her plants are!

Natalie

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8714510

http://Www.dollarseed.com local, to me!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8716196

Awesome list, Karen. Thanks nhuntley and outlawheart81.

Karen ~ Have you sown or traded all of your seeds? I tend to have leftovers and some are good and others not so good. I try to wintersow at least a dozen or more each year, as I cannot do 100 as some people have. Then I can tell which seeds are good. Some of the older ones germinate better, like basil, I noticed. I like to sow basil every year. I did not collect the seeds since I had so many left in packets, but maybe I will this year at the end of the season. I am letting the parsley go to seed now.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8718359

evelyn-due to major health issues my garden has gone to heck. my cousin has stepped in and is trying to reclaim it and help me get my seeds orgranized and will probably be living here in the next month or so. i have lots and lots of seeds for next year that i didnt get planted this year. also traded a bunch (for more seeds that didnt get planted)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8731047

Karen ~ I am sorry to hear about that. Is there anything I can do to help?

Evelyn
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8741668

thank you. just trying to get everything in order.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8762108

Try Crosman's seeds in Rochester, NY. They sell the old reliable standbys for 1950 prices. They are very prompt at mailing the seeds to you. I have ordered 3 times last year from them and they seem to give you a good quanity in the pkgs.

Diane's seeds is another source. I have ordered from her several times, as well as Remy in NY but I can't think of Remy's website now. I ordered from both of them last year and was very pleased. Both are very knowledgable and willing to answer gardening questions.

Check Dollar Tree or Dollar General stores. K-Mart..

Our K-Mart sells Burpee seeds, as does our Giant grocery stores, starting in January or Februry. As soon as the holidays stuff is all sold out, they stores start putting flower and vegetable seeds on their racks to sell.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8762195

I bought seeds at dollar general this year and had a lot of nothing come up. Weird, i never really had problems before, or with their more expensive (nk brand seeds) but i didn't get a single bean to sprout, no gourds, and no sunflower... I wonder if something happened in shipping, maybe mold? They looked fine, but they didn't grow fine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America