Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: bugs on Rose of Sharon pods

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 25, 2006
9:25 PM

Post #2758407

I found a whole ecosystem on pods from a rose of sharon that I just harvested. There were some corpses in there that looked like mosquitoes, also, some of the seeds had holes in them and were hollowed out. What gives? A few more pics follow...

Thumbnail by edevenny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 25, 2006
9:25 PM

Post #2758411

corpse - mosquito?

Thumbnail by edevenny

edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 25, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2758420

This guy has one of the smallest things from the first photo attached to his side, but he was the only one I saw in about 15 pods. Note the pincer things on his hind end!

Thumbnail by edevenny

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2006
9:49 PM

Post #2758484

The last one with the pincers is a so-called earwig, Forficula auricularia, very common in gardens, here anyway. They don't bite people or anything.
edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 25, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2758595

Thanks claypa. I think the poor thing got the worst of it from the bug majority...
Here's another bug I just found - a fairly largish spider to be in a pod the size of a pecan... I took about 15 pics - hope this one shows him off.

Thumbnail by edevenny

edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 25, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2758605

Here's a better one

Thumbnail by edevenny

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2758712

The spider is one of the orb weavers, not sure which. There's a bunch in this forum, you can check those out.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2758883

First picture is probably Niesthrea louisianica (common name "Scentless plant bug" or something like that). They eat the seeds of hibiscus such as H. syriacus and H. moscheutos.
(Edited to add: those are nymphs and the adult bugs will have wings that cover the orange body.)

This message was edited Sep 25, 2006 8:46 PM
edevenny
Newport News, VA

September 26, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2759173

claypa, I think you're right, but I couldn't find an exact fit (well, duh, there are only a few hundred that could be living around here...). I have an ID request in with BugGuide.

Tom, thanks, they are Niesthrea louisianica. Most of the adults flew out when I shook the pods, and even those tiny red ones fit the bill for this bug family. And the "corpses" are probably from the spider, sucked dry.
Fascinating things we find in our gardens!
Liz
Night_Bloom
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2006
3:41 AM

Post #2759359

The "corpses" might also be shed skins left over when a bug molts to go on to the next largest stage.

Every time a bug molts, it leaves its old skin behind and grows a new, larger skin. That old skin looks like a shriveled up, smaller version of itself

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America