Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: What do you think I should do? Plant or wait??

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

September 27, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #2764432

Way back in spring I had ordered a bunch of things for fall delivery. I got one yesterday - Phlox paniculata. It came bare root. I was planning on getting it in the ground today since we leave tomorrow for the weekend. However one of the nights we are gone it is supposed to dip below 32. Is it safer for me to keep them bare root for the next few days in the garage andf plant on Sunday when we return (and when it will be much warmer again) or should I still plant them today or tomorrow AM? What do you (my experts!) think?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2006
12:01 AM

Post #2764734

My best guess would be to wait til you get back so it can have time to put down roots before the next freeze if you get lucky enough.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2764992

Either plant immediately or at least put in a pot with wet soil until you get back. They aren't likely to survive several days bareroot. Air is one of a plant's roots worst enemies. Even a really wet paper towel, etc. around them and then the paper and roots put into a plastic bag or wrapped in cling wrap would be better than bareroot.

This late in the season you may want to even consider putting them in pots and on an inclosed porch etc. until spring. They need to get the roots established before even a hard frost much less the ground freezing.
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2006
1:41 PM

Post #2766170

I would go ahead and put them in pots. Leaflady is right about air and plant roots. The best thing would be if you could let them get established before planting in the ground.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America