Journal, Feb 1, 2001

Well, today officially ushers in the Garden Season for me, as today is the first day that I actually put plants out in the garden. I'm putting out about half of my peas today (in a nice 10x10 bed I prepared last week).

Additionally, if the warm sunshine holds, around noon today I'll be tilling up my 14,000sqft garden area, as well as Trish's flower beds in the front yard and her 10x30' herb garden in the backyard, and 2 extra smaller garden areas around the corners of the farm to hold more corn and miscelaneous veggies that I don't want growing in my main garden. Woo Hooooo!

dave

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Morning all! Dave, I can just feel the excitement! It would be snowing and I would be plowing!! Have fun, the smell of fresh plowed earth is so awsome. It is cloudy and will get up to 57* today. The weather guy says freeze by Saturday...yuck!
EvaMae- hope you guys are feeling better yall are in my prayers!
Have a great day everyone! Bye, Lisa

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Morning everyone,
Dave I know you are itching to get on that tractor and do some tilling!;] Did you just drive it around yesterday!?hehe
Planting peas-that wont be till at least march here! Today the high should be around 38 cloudy n windy. I hope ol mr.groundhog says it will be a early spring-im really getting planting fever!!!!
Everyone have a great day-dont work to hard! ;]
dori

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Gee Dave if you weren't such a nice guy I would have to bug you for making us drool....oh man are you going to have a great day and as Justmelisa says....smelling that just tilled earth..I can almost taste...er ah...smell it too!

southeast, NE

Congrats Dave on the tractor!

Definitely envying your weather. The temp is supposed to keep dropping today with a wind chill of -35. Called and left one of those worrying mom warnings for my dd on her dorm voice mail. She is supposed to drive to a town that is 30 miles away. The snow is really blowing. When you are in town, I don't think you realize how much the snow is blowing until you get out in it.

Need to go check ewes again. I need to make a trip to Lincoln today too and I'm not looking forward to that.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If I'd have had my act together at the beginning of Jan, we'd be looking to pick some peas right now.

Tulips are poking through the ground, and the one daffodile that is always a month ahead of the others, is up and budding. Crocus are in a cooler area, but I expect them to be popping up soon, too.

Jake (one of the dogs) has chewed the leaves off the bottom of some of my rose bushes, but they're starting to leaf out, too. Last year I actually remembered to water them and feed them at useful intervals, and they bloomed really nice (the cool summer - hardly into the 100*s - helped). We'll see if I can do this two years on a row!

Take care everyone.

Karla

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good morning. We had 8* overnight, was foggy this morning but is clearing now. No bunny in the flower bed, :-( or deer in the garden :-) Today I need to do more things to get ready for our weekend trip to the regional endurance ride convention. I had hoped to go riding today for an hour or two, but I don't think it is warm enough, plus I probably will not have time. We have to be ready to leave pretty early in the morning, so you folks are on your own till Monday. Dave, don't wear the tractor out the first weekend. Blessings.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Mary, how exciting! Good luck to you! Lisa

Well, I'm all done with my tilling. I started around 11:00am and finished up around 3:30. I tilled my 14,000 sqft main garden, a 10x10 flower bed for Trish, a 20x20 herb garden for Trish, another 20x20 bed on the corner of the farm for corn, and a 100x30 area at the bottom of our hill for "miscellaneous plants". In this area I'll plant any and all excess seeds I have left over. I love my tractor - I wish I had more tilling to do. ;-)

Now to go clean the blades and put it up for the night. What a toy. ;-)

Dave

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You dog you! All I did today was deliver eggs AND set my neighbor up with Internet access (a freebie CD from AOL...)but made sure he visited DG! He signed up (Name is Ned, please watch for him!) but when we rec'd the emai w/password he couldn't log on...am just assuming we didn't wait long enuff for the new password to go thru. No big deal. (I did show him the Photo forum and my "indoor plumbing" pics!) Anyway, Dave, I know the feeling with the tiller! It has you craning your neck around looking for MORE places to go to! Our ground here is just a tad bit wet for a tiller buy I may stick a plow in the ground, let it sit for a few days, then till. How deep did you get the tiller to go? Next you need a middle buster so you can get some taters in the ground!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi All,
The day is not over yet, so I'll wish everyone a good evening! The fire is lit and the hot cocoa is good here, so it's winding-down time after a long day :)
Trish

(Zone 5A)

My weekly farm forum check in:

home from the wars...er, CITY. I just can't describe how beautiful it was tonight when I pulled into the drive. No lights out here to dull the show in the sky tonight. I was a little jealous when I read Dave's posts....the temp here now is 3 degrees with a windchill of -34 and dropping. Not going to be any tilling here for quite a while. I've got separation anxiety 'cause I can't get to my 8N, lol - the drifts are melting some, tho - now its just an ice rink. Heading to Peoria for the day tomorrow for my mom's chemo treatment....8 months without a break but we're hopeful its working. Husband and I plan to spend the rest of the weekend lazing about in front of the fire...I'll be the one perusing the seed catalogs and McMurrays chicken smorgasbord.....mmmm - there's no place like home.

Catherine in Illinois

Horseshoe: When I started tilling, I found that the soil was nice and dry all the way down to 8" (at least... that's the depth of my tiller). So I tilled most of the areas the full 8".

My 14er, however (that's the 14000 sqft area), only got tilled 2" deep yesterday. I just didn't have the heart to make my tiller break ground at 8" for 14,000 square feet.

I'm going back today and doing it again at 6" or maybe 8", we'll see how it goes. I need to go back and get those rocks out of there before going back. Ugh! It's amazing how many rocks can hide under a hayfield.

Dave

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

I'm extremely envious. At this moment in my little corner of Hell (pardon the language) it is snowing an inch an hour, which just goes adds to the already nasty amount of snow we've had this year (about 7 feet so far this season). I can't even see my gardens. The brussel sprouts are still in the garden... mainly because when we were going to have them for Thanksgiving, we got 2 1/2 feet of snow and buried us for a while, then it just kept coming. I was thinking about how nice it would be to have fresh tomatoes and basil... but that isn't gonna come around until July... late June if I'm real lucky this year. Must be so nice to live where you are, Dave!

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Rocks! I think we grew more rocks than veggies in the old garden on the hill. Dave, Here's hoping you have a poor crop of rocks this year! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images