Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

tent or rv?

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Which do YOU consider "camping"? Me, being the daughter of a Texas Game Warden..Tents and sleeping bags..roaring campfires..hanging a plastic jug of water on the tree to wash hands...cooking on a Coleman Stove..Lanterns..all of these plus more "luxuries", is what qualifies as camping!!
I have some friends who think when they take the RV..fully equipped with all the modern conviences of home...they are "camping"..
Just not the same to me...What about yall?
Now, dont get me wrong..we actually HAVE an RV..and use it..but mostly when traveling distances and planning to be where ever we are going, for more than a week!

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

We love to camp but over the years the effects of age have curtailed our camping and how we camp. Because we both have arthritis, DW severely, we have had to trade the tent for a camp trailer. It isn't the same experience as tent camping but it sure beats not camping at all.

Ingleside, TX(Zone 9a)

Dann_L,
This is a very good point you made. I hadnt thought of it from this particular point of view. While we arent yet seniors, I can empathize..There are times when "this ole grey mare aint what she used to be"!..I am just glad that you get to camp..no matter what your method or mode is!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Been tent camping for years, moved to a pop-up then on to a tow-behind camper. Finally made it to the big time and got a 36 foot 5th wheel with an ice-maker in the freezer. You cannot beat it! Complete with satellite, Playstation 2 and any amenity you can think of. This is the life for me...I will never go back. Camping is our hobby and we usually slow down to going only 2 times a month in the winter months. I live in Memphis TN, so there is beautiful country all around us. When we retire we plan to have all 50 states listed on our map. Well, maybe not all 50, but Hawaii will be visited in some fashion. Maybe I will revert to tent camping in that state.

Beaverton, OR

For me, it may boil down to being able to cook and sit outside in a natural setting.

We've used tents and RVs.

Hiking alone does not seem like camping.

So the inclusion of some outside sitting or cooking seems to make the adventure for us.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Camping to me is more. I don't think that staying at a campground that has showers, water etc is camping. A camp to me is an experience that you need to establish your camp. IE your tent, your wood for fire, your water, your meal, your fire pit, your........ This is camping to me. If you use a RV that is going to the campgrounds or even a tent you are paying a little less for a room with a shower and a comfortable bed. Good Idea, just not camping to me. Camping is having your hand washed undergarments wet and frozen in the am. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't know whether to believe that pic or not. It could be that the wind is blowing. LOL. Nah just kidding. That's truely roughing it and you won't catch me doing it anytime soon. I'll leave that up to you and to tell us your stories. lol. Good picture by the way.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

soferdig, your photo is hilarious! i love it! i am with you...camping to me is being able to carry all that you need on your back and being able to access areas that very few will ever see. being away from all the convienences of our every day lives and away from society for a while is a nice break. i love that i can wear the same stinky clothes and not wash my hair for days and i do not have to worry about what anyone else thinks. :)

we still do car camping with a tent with the kids, but that just seems like so much work compared to backpacking. with backpacking, we bring just the necessities and not all the extra "stuff" that we tend to bring when we are car camping.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

I used to get to teach camping to the little girl scouts several years ago. It was a blast! We learned how to make things do double duty and what really was needed and what wasn't. When I belonged to a camp club in AZ, we went for a 3 day canoe trip down the Colorado River. Out of something like 14 people (men & women) I packed the lightest of the whole group! I always thought everyone camped like I did and was amazed that some of the canoes could actually float with some of the things those people "had" to take on their trip LOL

Peoria, IL

I find I am more of moderate when it comes to camping. I prefer to find that happy medium somewhere between frozen underwear and the air conditioned RV.

I do like to find a place that has access to clean water. I prefer the camping excursions where I had access to a warm shower at some point during the trip. The trips without a shower are not as fond to me.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have revived my need to rough it and I have to say with a good pad and sleeping bag, Tenting is not so bad. I have stopped it for the last few years cause my DW has RA and she can't anymore. But I still need to hear that sound of an unknown creature chewing, walking, growling, eating, outside the thin walls of an isolated camp tent. I remember many worrisome times but now after many years in the wild nothing has happened so why worry. I just do what the guy in "never cry wolf" did when the mice were eating him out of house and home. I come out of the tent with a howl that would scare anything but a grizzly away. And if it is one he definitely would have ..... in the woods with that charge. LOL Serenity like this is unprecedented.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You should frame that last picture!! That is an awesome pic!! I love the fall foilage in the background. And the river birch (?) you are leaning on.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

yes there were lots of river birch along the way. I am sure that when the canoes were birch bark that was important. The forests are wonderful and the aromas are wonderful.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Kazooie pretty much covered my viewpoint and situation (except no hair to get dirty) but I can see the benefits of an RV like Dann_L said. What I hate most about car camping is always going back to the car for something. It never stops.

Bill

I am taking a break from loading the camp trailer for an upcoming elk hunt next week and remembered this thread. As always at this time of the year my mind is flooded with memories of the past and it has moved me to expand on the tent vs rv discussion a little.

I have a camping trailer now but I haven't always had one. When we camp now we still do all of the cooking on a camp fire (if fires are allowed) and a coleman stove. Laundry is still washed in the river and hung to dry on a rope, we still take excursions to gather fire wood, we eat our meals sitting next to the fire with our feet propped up on a rock around the fire ring. In the evening our camp is filled with the hiss of a coleman lantern, the aromas of the campfire and smoke swirling hither and there. Camp music is provided by the tumbling waters in the nearby stream and accompanied by a pack of singing coyotes.

We still pitch a tent on occasion for taking and afternoon nap and as a place for the grand kids to call their own when they are along. We have found a few places to camp where we are not in an established campground because we like solitude and having the serenade of the wind in the treetops as opposed to the clanking and banging associated with the "pack'em in as tight as you can" parking lot campgrounds. The primary purpose of our trailer is sleeping. As I mentioned before, I have arthritis in the hips and knees and my wife has severe RA. Getting up on a cold morning isn't what it used to be anymore, so we have incrementally graduated from the ground, to air mattress, to cots, to a bed in the trailer. The trailer has also given us the freedom from having to use the woods for lavatory purposes. No more walks in the woods carrying a shovel and a roll of TP. And, I confess, that it is nice to have a shower along and retreat a from stormy weather.

I do not advocate that anyone that is healthy enough, to forgo the experiences of camping with nothing but a sleeping bag, a mess kit and a night sky full of stars. As a life long participant in hunting and fishing I have had many camping experiences at all levels and some of the more memorable ones were the "roughest" ones. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Now I consider it a privilege to share with my grand children the wonders of the outdoors and take immense pleasure in it. There is nothing quite like the expression of a 3 year old catching his 1st trout or the grand kids kids in a mountain meadow stalking butterflies and grasshoppers. The truth is, that as we grow older we have to make some adjustments if we wish to continue with the enjoyment of outdoor rituals. I will not surrender the opportunities as long as I am able. I think now would be a good time to start work on my 4 wheel drive wheel chair!

Thanks for putting up with me and my soapbox...I'm done now. :o)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks for your memories and we know the same pleasures and relive them with you.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks Dan....VERY well put.

oh....and good luck on your hunt!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2006 9:22 AM

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi dan! you live just down the road from me... :) where abouts are you guys going elk hunting?

We didn't get drawn for any of the regular AZ public hunts so we purchased a couple of antlerless elk tags from the San Carlos Apache's. We'll be hunting on the eastern end of the reservation where they sold 15 tags for about 500,000 acres. The significance of that is we will probably not see anyone outside of our party. My son and I did this same trip in 2003 and we saw 1 of the tribe members cutting firewood one day and 2 guys that had been bear hunting breaking their camp preparing to leave on the same day. After that ...nobody. We both got our elk on that trip. Because this is not a trophy hunt for a big bull we just take our time and don't rush things. It's a lot more fun and relaxing when there's no pressure or stress. And the table fare is arguably the best of all venison game!

I would love to take a trip to New Zealand for the hunting and fishing...they have the very best of both worlds there. The problem is that 1 trip would only lead to another... and another... and it would get very, very expensive. :o) Aaah, but one can dream (and watch it on television).

This message was edited Oct 22, 2006 7:56 PM

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi dann, i still have not made it over to that part of the state (the white mountains) to do any camping or hiking, but i hear that it is wonderful. every year we keep saying maybe this summer we will get over there, but we just get so busy or something comes up. let us know how your trip goes. enjoy your solitude.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Soferdig, I believe you and my dad would have been the same kind of campers. He used to love to go where no one else could even get to. He'd take all his fishing gear, set up a camp and fish and camp all night...........and then make coffee in a minnow bucket in the morning !
He always boiled it up real good first. Then he'd fry his fish right there on the water's edge and have them for breakfast. He would be 93 yrs old now if he was still here. Guess that kind of camping didn't hurt him any. Me ?, I'm going in the camper, and taking a coffee pot. LOL

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I too think Sofer would get along fabulously with my pops. My dad loves canoeing, especially in the boundary waters area, and would love to recreate a voyageur trip. That would be the culmination of the history fanatic and canoeist in him.

Willis

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I enjoy the getting away and having fun with an active sport like canoeing. Though I just read a couple of books about Peru and I want to go hike in those mountains. I doubt I would like the Amazon though with the ants, misquito, knats, vipers, anaconda, those fish that swim up and hook into your body, and all the other horrible things there. Can you imagine having to sleep standing up to keep the ants off you at night. But the western Andes! Sounds wonderful with the high vistas, the Inca trails, the ruins, Machu Pichu. Wow. Gotta start saving up my money.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Hammocks, Sofer. Hammocks. Yeah the Andes would be a trip. I would love to see those places and Patagonia.

Willis

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We love tent camping but I would like to have a popup for some trips. Especially cold weather. My old bones won't take it anymore. I love hiking at any time of the year. Sometimes I need my dog to pull me up the steep places. I love that dog! LOL

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have decided to get rid of all the extra camping stuff I have and only keep the new stuff. It is hard to sell the tent, backpack, etc that you have had so much fun and joy in. Off to Ebay.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Are you going to sell that used underwear? Let the bidding begin.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Heck no the underwear was new in that picture it has about 5 or 6 years to go. LOL No I have duplicates of many camping gear and need to let someone else enjoy it rather than have it on the shelf. The toughest is going to be my kayak. Oh well I need to lose that materialistic thing and grow. I am selling this as a package for the starter camper.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sofer, five bucks will get you a two-week ad on the DG Classifieds page. (I got several replies, then sold, a mandolin I advertised there.) You might wanna give it a try, will save you Ebay fees. (And yes, I bet it doesn't get the amount of traffic eBay does but might be worth it.)

Shoe

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

What a great thread. I must sadly admit that I am now a RV camper............I have wonderful memories of taking all the children tent camping, riding bicycles, everyone smelling "lovely" after a weeks worth of playing, but now that the kids are grown, DH and I enjoy all the amenities of our RV. Such a delight to have a nice soft bed and a kitchen to cook in. We still build a fire pit to roast marshmallows in and sit around the camp fire every night, then happily retreat to our shower before bedtime. Sort of the best of both worlds for us, I guess. It certainly has been easier on the bones & joints! LOL There are many campgrounds across the USA with breath taking views of surroundings without having to hike for miles with a 50 pound backpack on board! :-) DH says that as we have gotten older, we are simply easier to please! lolololol Could be right. We love RV-ing and have met lots of wonderful people who share our passion for the outdoors.
Belinda

Thumbnail by TexasGardenMom
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have listed 7 things and the total cost to me is only about 10 bucks. I like to get it moved when I make up my mind to sell it. I will miss these things but someone will take them to places I couldn't. Thanks for the heads up Shoe.
See TexasGM I have no joy with the noise of the powerboat, or the noise of comforts. You are wise to enjoy the experiences in the outdoors I just need mine more quiet. When I was a younger Dad I relished the noises of my children having fun, so I know what you mean. Now the Canoe/Isolation/Peace is my goal.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

It wouldn't be "camping" for my family if we used an RV. Tent, canoe, kayak. Less is better for us and it helps us get back to the basics of nature, which doesn't include air conditioning, tvs , or showers in our world. It's the way I grew up and the way I am teaching my kids about the world. My parents don't camp at all anymore, they wouldn't consider an RV "camping". They'd rather stay at a bed and breakfast instead and take a nice stroll on the nature trails.
I think Soferdig has the same idea. There's something about the peace (yes, even with kids there is peace, a respect for nature) and how you fit into it. It's very inspiring.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Soferdig
That reflection picture is awesome. Where is it?

Shoe
I did not know DG had a classified page. Is it listed with the other forums? I need to shop. LOL

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The photo is of Bowman Lake on the west side of Glacier Park. We paddled the whole length of the lake and saw only 2 hikers on the trail on the opposite side of the lake. The view of the mountains around the corner is awesome. I forgot to take my camera with me on this trip. This is another lake north of there called Kintla Lake.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Ahhhhh, Glacier! Always a beautiful scene....

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Soferdig, paying only 10 bucks to list 7 things is a bargain. Glad someone will benefit from and enjoy your "sellings"! Hmmm...didja advertise your kayak?

Beautiful pics...wish I lived closer I'd hire you to be a guide!

Cajun...at the top of the page, where all the tabs are, click "Advertise"...it'll take you to the Ads Forum.

Shoe

Palatine, IL(Zone 5b)

Great thread! To me personally, just being able to get away and enjoy the outdoors, be it in a tent or an rv (which I have done alot of both) is camping to me. There's almost nothing better than being in a sleeping bag on the floor of Arcadia National Park at night looking up at the stars through the massive trees, except to not have to get up and run to the nearest ( almost never by your campsite) outhouse first thing in the morning, LOL! So, for me and the hubby and dog, we could do either or, depending on the situation, as long as we're not staying in a motel.

I've been checking back on this thread now and then since it was started because of the interesting and diverse opinions it has generated. It seems that regardless of how you go about it, whether it is a tent, RV, hiking or canoeing, the common thread amongst us all is we love the outdoors. We see and experience those things offered by mother nature that those who never venture out will ever know, except through us, our recounting tales and photographs. It is sad that there are so many people that think a stroll through a city park, a walk along a suburban "greenbelt" or chasing a ball around a golf course is what mother nature is all about.

Hopefully, through those of us like Soferdig, who share their adventures with wonderful photographs and narratives, others will find inspiration to experience the majesty of yet untamed nature. Not all will possess the skill nor have the luxury of simultaneous time and money to experience the more distant and exotic locations. However, there is usually something for everybody within a couple hours drive from where they live.

I came home from my last elk hunt without any venison but the outdoor experience was undiminished because of it. I made a new friend and would like to share this photo of him with you. He is a bit shy but a steadfast friend with tremendous listening skills and of rock solid character.

Thumbnail by Dann_L

Like I said , he's kind of shy, but he allowed me to take this pic. too!

Thumbnail by Dann_L
Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Dann_L, love your friend! I'd love to have a friend like that in one of my gardens.

For me, the older I get the less I like to sleep on the ground. But that seems to be what we do most. Camping to me is not camping unless I have a campfire. I looooove campfire coffee and food. Plus the kids love the fire with the dark all around telling lots of stories. Also, I have to have either a creek or a lake nearby. I have never camped without some form of water, so it would not feel like camping without it. An RV would be great, but I would still have to cook on a campfire and have some body of water to feel like camping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.