Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Xeriscape Gardening: If my gopher prob.

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 284
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #2770220

is extreme, containers are a good option for me except that I don`t know if the larger containers or the 1 and 5 gallon holes are too large for gophers. They are able to squeeze, like rodents do, into small areas that we wouldn`t imagine. Tell me please. I am puting pavers all over to help keep them out of some plants. I am in sunset zone 11 or USDA zone 8b, also do I need to shade the containers because it is real hot and dry in the summer here?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2006
7:05 PM

Post #2770454

If you wrap the plants in hardware cloth/wire mesh before you plant them that's supposed to keep the gophers out (make sure to wrap all the way around the root ball though), same thing should work for containers if you think they'll get into them otherwise. As far as shading the containers in the heat, probably some shade will help, but if there are some extremely heat tolerant plants they may be fine as is. Light colored containers are better than dark. You can also experiment a little--I usually stick the plants where I think I want them, then keep an eye on them and if they start to show signs of heat or sun stress, I'll move them to a little shadier place.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2006
5:55 AM

Post #2771968

Ya I was hoping against all hope that I would not have to do that mesh stuff because it is a hastle enough to garden here without the time and hastle and expense of that. It is expensive too. I was hoping there was another chicken wire or something cheaper, though no less hastle. Can I change my name to I hate gardening now. If you put systemic insecticide on plants, you`d think it would poison gophers too. In know it makes me really sick, protected and all from the fumes.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2772602

Unfortunately, stuff that poisons insects doesn't necessarily poison gophers! I would think it would at least make the plant taste nasty though! Castor oil is supposed to help with them, they sell stuff at places like Gardeners Supply that's a castor oil mixture you can spray out through your hose over the garden. I haven't tried it so don't know how well it works. I also read on another thread that peppermint oil will deter rats/mice, I wonder if that would work on gophers too?
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2006
1:42 AM

Post #2777134

I am waiting to get castor beans from someone from DG. I guess it is worth trying.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2006
4:54 PM

Post #2904450

I just talked to a Nursury that went to a trade show in Indiana or Illinoise and there is a device, way more advanced than the ulrasonic wave they have out now, that costs about $55 and it is guaranteed to rid vermin off for 2000 sq. ft and is motion sensitive. I hope it works, but it is new so who knows, but it is a money back guarantee. The poison that I put in is growing sprouts and My dog ate it. She did not die though so??? Maybe she threw it up or didn`t like the taste. I din`t know what it was at first
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2904865

Do you remember the name of it? My garden isn't put in yet but I've already spotted signs of gopher activity in a few spots in the yard so I'll be battling them soon! Although I'm hoping that all the digging, terracing, grading, etc will encourage them to move on--I've heard that happens sometimes but I'm sure either they'll come back or new ones will move in to take their place!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2006
2:22 PM

Post #2906913

He didn`t tell me, but I had the impression that it may not be available, in gereal till late winter, early spring. Maybe they were just trying to generate interest in this product.???? I will try to find out more. Believe me, they are like fighting the devil. Our neighbor says he can treat them every 3 months with stricknine, he is an exterminator. I have had little success with it so...but he seemed to know alot about them so I will give him a shot to try until late winter or spring. Meanwhile build the mesh cages for stuff they love, like roses.
2sequoyah
Electric City, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2007
5:40 AM

Post #4230157

There is no pest I detest as much as gophers. I generally do not like to kill things, but once the gopher crosses my property line ... I've gotten really good at locating their tunnels (I get lots of practice) which you have to do to use poisons or traps. My neighbor shared an interesting deterrent she says works for her every time for her - locate the tunnel and insert fresh dog poop. I tried it but since I also used poison in an adjoining tunnel I don't know which got it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2007
6:12 AM

Post #4230199

I'd put my money on the poison. I've found that all the things they say repel gophers really don't. I soaked my garden in so much castor oil that I'm surprised it didn't kill my plants. I tried one of the ultrasonic mole/gopher chaser things. I flooded the tunnel with the garden hose (just after I saw it poke its head up out of the hole, so I know it was around when I did it). I shoved cut up onions down their holes. I planted castor bean plants, and while this was semi successful (they didn't actually eat the castor bean plant!), they did dig up the plant that was 2 inches from the castor bean plant. Finally I gave up and called a landscape pest exterminator and he put nice little tablets down the holes that make some sort of poison gas when they come in contact with water. I like this approach better than the poison you can buy because it eliminates the possibility of my neighbor's cats or my dog running into a poisoned gopher and poisoning themselves in the process. But you can't buy the stuff yourself, only licensed pesticide applicators are allowed to buy it, so it's a more expensive solution.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #4231687

Yeah I tried that last winter too, I put the dog poo in the holes near my remaining roses and poison too, but they didn't kill one rose in the last year so I don't know. I only caught one in a trap and never again. Drats.

Here is a new thing that they do professionally but it is new so very few exterminators do it. It is some sort of mixture of O2 and propane gas that they explode in the tunnels which collapses the tunnels and kills the gophers etc. i bet it kills some gopher snakes too though if you are lucky enough to have one. We saw a baby in our yard 2 times this year.
2sequoyah
Electric City, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2007
4:09 AM

Post #4233680

I know what you mean about running the risk of something else eating a poisoned gopher - I have two dogs, one of which is a good gopher catcher (3 in the last month) but doesn't eat them, and I have a hawk cruisng the fields on either side of me which is why I am conscientious about not poisoning gophers that haven't crossed my property line. Luckily, I've never seen a poisoned gopher outside a tunnel. I am interested in what the exterminator tried - I've never heard of that before! I have heard about the gas going into the tunnels and then exploding but I wouldn't want to kill any of my precious gopher snakes (we call them bull snakes out here) !!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #4233776

The stuff my exterminator used was aluminum phosphide, which generates phosphine gas when exposed to water. It kills the gophers but doesn't do anything to collapse the tunnels like the stuff hellnzn11 was talking about. I'm not sure if the gas would affect gopher snakes or not, I can't imagine it would be good for them, but I really don't think I have any gopher snakes in my yard so I'm not too worried.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #4239542

I worry about all of it but i lost so many plants two years ago after the record breaking rains we had the year before that must have killed a lot of preditors because every type of rodent was everywhere that year.

They are a nightmare. I see some activity on a side of my yard where we park but there are oleanders there and nothing much else so it is not as stressful but I am poisoning them.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #4549081

I killed one in the front w poison and I killed one with the black trap above ground. Hip Hip Hurray
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5466178

I see gopher activitity again. I am so mad because it is right near my lasagna garden. I took a big can of jalapenos and blended them in the blender with water and poured them near my rose roots and near the border of the lasagna and in the grass where I saw them, but I need to treat with poison and get the trap. I am going to bawl my eyes out if it crawled over the lasagna and in the top.

Grrrrr!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5466370

That's weird, I don't usually see them anymore this time of year, it's usually just spring and early summer when they're all over the place and then I don't know where they go, but I never see them from mid to late summer through winter. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get them before they get in your lasagna bed!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5476548

Thanks, so far they must have not liked Chili in their eyes, the blind Ba&%$rds. OOps sorry, having a bad day and I still need to kill them.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7152118

I hate gophers, they make the chomping rabbits look well behaved. I am a usually a mild-mannered animal lover, and I killed one by hitting it with a pickaxe. I haven't found anything that works really well. Most effective: traps (I shove the dead gopher back in its hole). Poison: I don't like poisons, I tried it in a couple of areas where I thought it would be safe, I don't know if it worked or not. Dog hair and castor pellets: may have detered them long enough for the plant to get established, did not deter them permanently. I haven't tried ultrasonics. I am also currently trying planting a border of rabbit and deer resistant bulbs around my more vulnerable bulbs, in the hopes it will deter gophers underground, too. I have had people recommend professional exterminators, or semi-professional terrier-type dogs. Good Luck. If any one finds any thing that will keep another gopher from moving into a deceased gophers territory, please let me know.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #7152636

The chili is still working but if you regularly water, then you have to reapply after a few months. I have a lot of gopher activity but most are avoiding my good plants, that they like, roses.
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7188271

From a 2006 thread:

While I'm a live and let live kinda guy, when it comes to gophers destroying my yard, I take on a caddyshack kind of persona. This is my method of last resort and something that works every time for me. Go to the store and get a large carrot. Cut about 1 inch off the leaf end and and save it. Drill a 3/8" hole down the center of the carrot following the core as far as your drill bit will reach. Fill the hole with gopher bait and plug the hole in the carrot with a piece of the end you saved. Push the carrot down the hole and cover the hole with dirt. If you tie a piece of string to the carrot and tie it to a stake, you can pull it out in a day and check to see if they've taken the bait. A dead gopher in the tunnels will keep any others away for quite a while. You may have to bait two or three tunnels to be effective in a large area. I have yet to have any return to my yard and it's been 3 years and all the neighbors around me still have them.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2009
6:07 AM

Post #7189088

I love you, that sounds fantastic. That with my jalapeno mix, should be able to protect and kill, all at one time.
Ravens444
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7644369

One day I was walking through the yard, I tripped in a gopher hole. I swore as I fell and said out load, "I wish you cats would catch the dam gopher instead of birds!"

A few days later, after a long day of work, I came home to find my cats face swollen and bleeding! I called the vet and took her in. The vet cleaned out the wound and identified the wound as a bite. Back home again finally, I entered the kitchen to find what was left of the gopher. It was not pretty! But... I don't have any gophers on my yard.

The cat healed up quick.

Just a thought...

Thumbnail by Ravens444
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America