Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Heirloom Vegetables: Blue 4 o'clock

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 347
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kaykay1010
Cincinnati, OH

September 30, 2006
5:25 PM

Post #2772804

Has anyone even heard of these. Many years ago(15 or so), I "thought" I found these in a catalog and was not into gardening at the time(youth and inexperience, you know)so of course I did not get them. I am pretty sure that a lot of small communities used these in their plantings around the turn of the century/depression era times. I have only been able to find one place that they are even mentioned to purchase seeds and they are in a mix. Am I dreaming? I am pretty sure that I didn't make this up. HELP!! I know you all will know something. I have posted in other forums, so you all are my last chance. I have done research, but maybe you all know things that I don't.

Kelly
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2783082

I really question that the four o'clock (Mirabilis) comes in a true blue. The feature you saw may have been about a similar-looking flower that happens to be blue, or it might be a four o'clock that is a lavendar with blue-ish overtones. No flower type in Nature appears in all three of the ~primary~ (pure) colors of red, yellow, blue. Two of them usually but not all three. Mirabilis appears in red, yellow, pink, purple and lavendar. Much time, effort and expense has been put into the effort of achieving a true red bearded iris or a true blue rose. Some cultivars seem to have been nearly there, but close examination under microscope will show a blending of undertones that achieves the effect. Yuska
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

June 14, 2008
7:01 AM

Post #5101888

There is yellow, blue and red petunias, Yuska.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5442547

gofast,

I don't think they are really a true blue, though, but shades of blue/lavender or blue/purple. My clematis Rossmoor is supposed to be red, but actually is a very dark purple/red -- a long ways from actual red.

Karen

madrid2000
Humble, TX

December 29, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5940518

I was looking through the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog, and they listed a Marvel of peru (4 o'clock) Stars and stripes mix of "...bi-colored and splashed flowers in the colors of yellow, white, rose, red, and blue"
Tabitha
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

January 2, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #5955540

Can you give a website address, Tabitha?

Thanks

Martin
harmony58
Rogers, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #5977486

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Marvel-of-Peru-or-Four-O-Clocks
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6167264

I would imagine that the catalog "played" with the color, and they were really the lavender colored ones.

I've seen them listed as four o clock 'tea time'.

I also have some seeds from a trade listed as solid "peach". I am anxious to try them.

A few years back I got some seeds for some that were hot pink with orange centers(I saw the pictures!...so pretty!). I've sown them, and am waiting for flowers...

Google lavender or even lavender tea time, and see if you can find some. They were very pretty.
-T
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6230246

Morning Glories come in red, yellow and blue and all of them are 'true' colours.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America