Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Butterfly Host Plant Seed Exchange? Anyone interested?!

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 210, Views: 1,564
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2776572

Hi, everybody--

Recently there has been high interest in attracting Monarchs and other butterflies into the garden and this Question has come up on several Forums and threads:

Why not have a Butterfly Host Plant Seed Exchange or Round Robin or Seed Fund?

This would make available seeds from milkweeds, herbs, passion vine, pipevine, and a variety of butterfly host plants (ready to harvest from our gardens) to newbie and wannabe BF gardeners or to those who want to supplement the flower offerings already on their 'butterfly buffet'.

Is anyone else interested in participating? [Even if you don't have anything to 'exchange' right now I am sure there are gardeners who would like to send milkweed seeds to those who are interested in starting out---with the idea that you will pass along your seeds to others later]

I am primarily interested in focussing on Butterfly Host Plant Seeds for the first exchange. And to broaden it to nectar plants later on.

If there is enough interest, perhaps we can nominate an organizer--(I can help but I do not have enough experience to actually do it.)

If you have thought/interest/suggestions let's hear what you think! LMK Thanks. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2776672

To get started, here is a (partial) list of common Butterfly Host Plants that you may have in your garden and that may be of interest to others...

http://www.thebutterflysite.com/create-butterfly-garden.shtml
indiana_lily
Jeffersonville, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2776802

That's an excellent idea!! Actually, I don't have any experience hosting butterflies, but I've got a lot of seeds together to do so for next year.
I can help too, but as far as organization, I don't think I'd do a good job at it -- this year anyway.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

October 2, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2777179

I've got some milkweed seeds from the spring, and should get more from the fall if the aphids don't destroy the buds. I've tried several times to grow citrus plants from seeds, but they always succumb to sometime or other before they get very tall. Anyone have any luck growing citrus from seed?

Mark
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2780196

Hey T!
Tag!! Can you be "it" for now? None of us actually know everything about hosting butterflies, it takes all of us together and we learn from each other and from our own planting and observing. There's so much I don't know yet too. You seem to be a very organized kind of person, and that's more important than the specific knowledge. There will always be someone to chime in on a thread and offer what they know, I know a few that are awesome about doing that. Will, inspiration, and organization were the only tools and talent most successful endeavors began with. Good starting reference site T! and I will be posting this Thread link in the other forums I visit.

Gtsy Mark, I hope your fal crop of MW seed comes through, we will have plenty of people here to share those with. Thanks~!

Nice to see you too Lily! You sound like me, preparing for next year and everything. My experience has so far been hosting BST, and GF, and still have so much to learn and so many plants to plant.

Cheers to all!
Deb
This GF was laying eggs on my passionvines today, and then stopped on the Asclepia Tuberosa to rest for a few seconds.

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2006
2:00 AM

Post #2780337

I'm one of those newbie/wannabe's. I just planted my first Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella'. it was kind of a sad looking sale plant. and a very kind DG member has already send me some A. incarnata 'Soulmate' for wintersowing. so that's a start. I wish I could at least volunteer to help organize, but I'm working 12 hour days right now on a big project. but I did want to speak up and express interest and tell you what a great idea it is, even though I have nothing to contribute at this time.

I've got plans for zinnias and parsley. long term I have a spot picked out for spicebush. I've planted a few lupines, and have seed for hollyhocks also from some other DGer's

Still working on expanding the kinds of nectar plants I offer, too. got a lot of these pretty little clouded sulphurs on the asters these days.

Thumbnail by grampapa

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
3:19 AM

Post #2780913

I am putting this thread on 'watch'. I don't know that I have much to offer other than MW and mist flower, but I am definately interested.
Sheila
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
4:12 AM

Post #2781051

I'm interested but not sure how the seed exchanges work. I don't see why we need anyone to organize anything tho and don't want to "force" it on Tabasco either. Shouldn't we all be able to just handle our own wants/needs??

The host plants are going to vary by region, depending on what you are wanting to host. I have things for the butterflies that I know are in my area: Black Swallowtails, Monarchs and Queens, Sulphurs and a few others.

The problem with host plants too is getting seed from them. Currently I have a ton of milkweed pods that could supply us all but that depends on how many of them survive the late Monarch broods. My fennel seeds are the favorite part for the late BST broods. My rue has never been able to produce seeds because I cut it back. I have had some seeds from a friend's tho and I never got them to germinate. These are just my "problems".

Milkweed is probably the most wanted and easiest to save so maybe we could have a good variety of it to share. I'm still trying to get some Pipevine (couldn't get seeds to grow) and praying my Spicebush seedling that was sent to me survives.

So...maybe we should just ask: What host plants to you want? have?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2006
11:21 AM

Post #2781346

Good points, all--

Just to clarify--LOL I am not organized but that might be OK.

To start with we can encourage everyone to study the lists of larval host plants (google for those specific to your area if the link above doesn't suit you) and to harvest seeds from your local BF host plants. Also it helps to learn to identify the plants and common butterflies around you (in your parks, neighbors yards, etc.) if you haven't already.

Also check your seed box for seed packets that you won't be able to use that someone else may want.

We could also include "cuttings" of those vines and plants that are difficult to start from seed. (but I don't know much about how to take or grow from cuttings.)

(If there are questions about the best way to collect seeds/cuttings, I am sure there are answers on the propagation forum or other web sites http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/harvesting.html ) (I'm just learning about seed collecting too.)

Yes, konkreteb., it looks like all we have to do is get the word out to DGers on other forums who may be interested in swapping seeds or getting a BF garden going, and invite them to a dedicated Swap Thread to post "haves & wants" and everyone can take care of sending out their own labeled seed packets for trade or postage or just for fun. That way we will have lots of participation and very little 'work' to be done. If that suits everyone I can handle that alright.

Experienced or in-experienced, new or not new to BFs, this way we can all improve our butterfly knowledge and habitats and have fun doing it together!

So, start looking around for ripening host plant seed pods and/or read the "seed collecting" info and get started harvesting, and I will post the Swap Thread probably next week after everyone's had a chance to think through and inqiure on other forums what they might want and what seeds they have to send out over the next couple of months or add any other comments.

Have fun. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2782052

I have milkweed seed and need parsley, fennel, spicebush. Karen
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

October 3, 2006
4:28 PM

Post #2782131

Hi Everyone, I don't think I have any seeds to exchange since this is all new to me but I would be very grateful to receive seeds for postage if anyone had extras. Once I would get some plants growing I would be happy to pass some of mine along too. Thank You, Pelle from NJ
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2782243

Wait...we are just discussing it right now, correct? We are actually going to start a new thread for wants/needs, right?
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2782467

Sure, and I don't need fennel, I forgot that I got some. Karen
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
8:58 PM

Post #2782726

I just didn't want anyone to request and then it get lost on this thread. How does your fennel do down there Karen? Do you grow green or bronze? I've grown both and the bronze always gets covered in aphids by late summer.
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2782819

Bronze and the black swallowtails gorge on it until it is gone but it regrows nicely. Karen
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
9:46 PM

Post #2782860

No aphids on your bronze? Maybe we're too dry here. Does it stay pretty small? I had some green fennel one year that was about 4 ft tall!
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2782906

Hi, I would love any leftover seeds that growers may have like milkweed for our new garden. We have started our garden to attract butterflies and hummers. My kids just loved the butterflies and hummers this summer. So far we only have a couple butterfly bushes and blue mist plants. I'll look for the thread when its posted. I still need to get educated as to the types and names of b.f's in our area. Thanks! Flowerlou
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2782931

Dear Flowerlou,

Congratulations that you want to learn more about butterflies. You have come to the right forum, that is for sure. I have been butterfly gardening for about three years now and am learning more all the time. You know, this is just a suggestion but if you can, go to your local public library. They will tell you which butterfly books are available for your area. If you are serious about learning the names of butterflies, buy the book that is most helpful to you. This has helped me a lot. I have a butterfly book that covers Western North America. It not only tells the location in the West the butterflies are found but what their nectar plant sources are and their larval host plants.

Good luck and have fun. Over the years, my kids have been excited about the butterflies and hummingbirds. Now it is the neighbors and their children.

Thanks,

Chuck

margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2006
11:09 PM

Post #2783032

I'd be happy to trade for something I don't have or send for postage of things I've lots of. I've plenty of tropical milkweed seeds and more coming. I have ripening Cassia Alata pods and winter cassia that hasn't bloomed yet.We might even be able to try cuttings which would be nice for named varieties.

Paige- the cutting you sent is doing great!

Maggie

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2006
1:01 AM

Post #2783328

I would be interested. Especially for some different things.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2783702

Tabasco lured me over here - wonderful idea - count me in. I'll bet folks in the Organic forum (I think there's one here) would be interested. Caitlin was asking if anyone gardened without pesticides some time back, will give her a buzz.

Luvsgrtdanes, I've not forgotten our thread in MG - will visit there in a bit - have been busy cleaning and sorting those blues.
kaykay1010
Cincinnati, OH

October 4, 2006
3:37 PM

Post #2785049

Tobasco was a wonderful "host" for this forum/thread!!!! She lured me here too. I am in for this. I saw here amazing BF garden yesterday and I about fainted from all the beauty and butterflies. (bees, too LOL) I am quite ready to have a full blown butterfly garden!! I am wintersowing this year for the first time and I know what I am going to focus on!! Thanks, T for the new addiction! Did you know you were an enabler? HaHa.

Kelly
flowerlou
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2785851

Thanks Chuck, I am heading to the library later this week. It will be fun learning with the kids. Have a great day. Flowerlou
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2786206

LOL You guys are too funny!

Well, I hope everybody is collecting seeds! kaykay and I went exploring around my yard yesterday and at the nursery. She taught me how to take some cuttings and we collected a few seeds but not enough for everyone who seems interested! It was a fun visit! ... (And kaykay I'm happy you liked my BF garden even though it is looking rather shaggy...when you visit next time I will take you to our Monarch meadow in the park behind us!) And if anyone else is in town, please LMK.

So...moral of the story is--when you go out on your errands and walks this month, take your scissors and your baggies and be alert to any 'opportunities' to complete our BF host plant seed collections! And don't forget to label!

Kaykay and I were laughing yesterday about Weezingreens 'Seedsnatchin' threads and if you haven't glanced at them they will give you some good tips on how to maximize your opportunities!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/604651/

Somewhere in one of her threads she talks about her basic seed collecting box/basket of equipment that she keeps in her SUV ---always ready-- and I thought the info was invaluable.

Beautiful day here. Lots of butterflies out.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2786286

Just to continue the above thoughts-- (now you've got me going on the host plants!)

Does anyone have a nice willow to get some cuttings going? A paw paw? mmm...what else?...does 'citrus' grow from cuttings?.

While I naturally think of MW as a host plant, can't forget seeds for hollyhock, malva, grasses, nettles, sunflowers, cabbages various, mustards, parsley, dill, thistle, toadflax, snapdragons, passionflower, violets, paw paw, and hops. Just a a partial list to jog minds/memories...and to get set on collecting. (while all of the above may not be the best for your garden (some are kind of weedy), odds are they may be perfect for someone else's patch of earth

Here's a nice page on Southern Butterfly gardening with pics and host plants:

http://www.druidcityonline.com/oa-bc-butterfly%20garden.htm

When we get going on the Want/need thread next week I will link it to this thread so everybody finds out.

budbloom
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2786837

What a great idea - please count me in! My first year butterfly gardening and raising butterflies, but I'm hooked.

I only have some milkweed seeds someone on DG was kind enough to send me, but next year I should have plenty to share. And maybe cuttings from my passionflower vine, if they root from cuttings.

Peggy
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2006
2:41 PM

Post #2787948

Great, budbloom, cuttings may work. Maybe you could post over on the Vines forum and ask about cuttings for passion vines and tell them we over at the BF forum want to know for our trade (maybe they already have extra passion vines they want good homes for).

For those who want a more extensive and detailed list of Butterfly Host Plants, here is a link to one in my diary:

http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/tabasco/4450/

Some of these are pretty common shrubs and flowers and may be available for seed collection in your neighborhood.

Thumbnail by tabasco

CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2787991

Tobasco,

You have gone to a lot of time and effort to prepare this list of larval host plants. It is very good and we all should tell you how much we appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chuck

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #2788289

Thanks so much. I didn't realize how many seeds I have!
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
6:48 PM

Post #2788666

Chuck, that list came from another website (GW)and was compiled by a lot of members input. Larry Gene compiled it and organized it into what you see. Just wanted to give credit to where it's due. I know Tabasco does too. :)
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2788896

Thanks, konkreteblond, for setting me straight.

No wonder that the list was so complete. LOL

Tobasco, you still have my vote as our leader in the new seed exchange.

Thanks again,

Chuck
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2006
11:30 PM

Post #2789303

Sorry, didn't mean to leave the impression that that I created the list on the diary page, but thanks for the thought, C.B. I credited Larry G. and GW for the 'copy and paste' of the list in the heading of the entry. Sometimes electronic protocol can be a little hazy.

Larry's is quite an exhaustive list and it's very interesting to review the range of plants and how often they occur close to home in gardens and roadsides. And then to learn the plants' oviposting butterfly visitors.

For me, now, it's a matter of circling the butterflies on the list that are common in our area and figuring out if we already have the host plants around our neighborhood and/or if I can grow them in our 'yarden' somewhere.

If you click on your state on this link's map it will bring up a list of local butterflies for you along with details (including host plants) about them.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2789387

Oh,, just "skimmered" through thread. Tabasco lured me over here... I would love to get some seeds for postage, and I am going over to the power lines tomorrow where a lot of wildflowers are growing.. I have passion vines from wild ones in Florida. the caterpillars of mm think it is monarch butterflies love them. Maybe I can get some seeds... Just remembered that I transplanted some wild flowers from neighbor's yard. The swallowtails were all over them last year. Have to take picture and water them. BTW, the swallowtails also love my azaleas,,, I figure they are just "pruning" them..this was last spring. Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
12:38 AM

Post #2789471

Hi,, is that a swallowtail??? I was corrected last year.. Here is caterpillar (loves my azaleas)

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
12:41 AM

Post #2789480

And what wildflower is this if anyone knows?? Thank you, Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

bflybo
Dover, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2006
12:46 AM

Post #2789491

count me in I have some rue seeds from this year. I made the mistake of clipping my milkweed pods early to keep them from getting out of control. my milkweed is wild like in farm fields
jim
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2789613

Tabasco, you are sounding way too organized to be claiming that you aren't! ;) You are doing a great job of getting others interested interested in this!
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2006
2:34 AM

Post #2789832

I have passiflora incarnata passion fruit.
I have the fruit in my garage and if anyone asks for it, I can take the seeds out. It is very messy and I don't want to get the seeds out unless someone is interested in trading.
I would like to get some of the other host plant seeds for swallowtail butterflies. The gulf fritillary lay eggs on this passiflora.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2006

Post #2789914

I have:

red clover
fennel (smokey bronze)
dill
Mexican Torch Sunflower
(more of some than others)

I would like to get some penta seeds (edited to remove ones now traded for)

I know we're just 'fleshing out' the swapping but I thought I'd throw my trowel into the ring ;)

~Sunny

This message was edited Oct 6, 2006 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by Hineni

Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2006

Post #2789918

Deleted due to duplicate posting!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2006 11:04 PM

Thumbnail by Hineni

tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #2790824

I have Penta but need to learn how to get the seeds. Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2006
10:42 PM

Post #2792273

Well, sounds like we have some posters actively looking for Host Plant Seeds (or cuttings?) and some new recruits to the BF gardening forum and learning more about BFs!

How 'bout we do the first trading round with exclusively Host Plant seeds/material then we follow up in a few weeks with a Trading thread just for BF Nectar Plant Seeds. I'll get the host thread started Monday.

Doing exlusively Larval Host Plants first we will keep the focus on learning which butterfly species like which particular plants for laying their eggs first.. And learn to differenciate between host plants and plants that are simply used for nectaring.

In stage two of our trading, we will learn favored nectar plants and trade those seeds.

Then we can do more trading threads in springtime when the season (for us up north, at least) really gets going!

EFG, I think that is a kind of swallowtail, but I don't know the bush. I think Azaleas are nectaring plants for BFs but I can stand corrected on that. Does anyone know for sure? In any case, it's a lovely picture!

Windy--Thanks. We shall see how the interest is in the passion flower. It is such a pretty vine and the frits are such a favored butterfly to have in the garden...But I don't know if it grows better from seed or cuttings. Anybody know that one?

Now I have to look through my seed box and see what I have!

Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2006
11:38 PM

Post #2792469

There goes T, organizing again, just sneaks right outta her at prime organizational moments ;D

Sounds good T!

~Sunny
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2006
1:53 AM

Post #2792802

Johnny's seeds online sells the passiflora incarnata seed and says the germination is erratic.
I have never grown it from seed, but it probably has re-seeded itself over the years as I now have many more plants than the original one.
I did dig it once, but the roots are deep and hard to get all of them. I might be able to dig some roots, but not sure. Maybe I will try tomorrow. I tore all the vines down to get ready for winter and clean up the area. Then as luck would have it, I spotted a gulf Frit butterfly! ARGH! She will probably find a vine somewhere in the field across the street to lay eggs on.
I threw many green ones away, because I had so many fruits this year. I kept about a dozen or slightly more and am storing them for now in the garage.
I may experiment over the winter with germinating some. I have some liquid smoke which is supposed to help with germinating hard to germinate seeds.
kaykay1010
Cincinnati, OH

October 7, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2792975

what does liquid smoke do? I know what it is, but I have never heard of using it that way.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2006
3:58 AM

Post #2793149

This is information from the JLhudson seed germination page.

SMOKE TREATMENT
Smoke treatment often helps germination of plants from fire-prone environments, particularly Mediterranean-climate plants such as many species from California, Chile, Australia, South Africa, and the Mediterranean region. For a list of genera that have responded to smoke treatment, click here: Smoke Genera.
Prepare a dilute smoke solution by adding one part commercial smoke flavoring to nine parts water. Either soak the seeds in this solution overnight (or until they swell), or by water the pot or flat once with this solution. Smoke flavoring is found in the spice and flavoring or barbecue section of the grocery store . It comes in small brown bottles of liquid, called "liquid smoke" or "hickory seasoning". Look for the "all natural" type that lists only water and natural smoke concentrate as ingredients. "Wright's" is the brand we find out here in California.
Smoke treatment is still experimental, and you may have to try different dilutions. Let us know your results! Another method is to burn a layer of straw or pine needles on top of the flat.
Edited to add a link to some good info.
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/Germination.htm

This message was edited Oct 6, 2006 10:59 PM
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2793432

liquid smoke...that's a new one on me! I sure learn something here every day. you'll have to let us know if it works. thanks for the link, windy

gram ~a girl~
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2006
1:06 PM

Post #2793628

Here's a good write up about Passionflowers/Maypops (which is the kind I have) culture and propagation .

Interestingly, Floridata says to plant the whole fruit fresh off the vine for best seed seed germinanation. (They must be pretty messy to de-seed!)

If you are using dried seeds which are known for erratic germination, one way to break the seed coat is to soak them in passionflower fruit juice dilution.

Also says Passionflower is easy to propagate by cuttings, which is good to know and it gives instructions.

Nice web page from Floridata http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/pass_cae.cfm

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 9:07 AM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2006
1:34 PM

Post #2793705

More on Host Vines--- Pipevine Swallowtails use this one---

DUTCHMAN'S PIPE 'grandiflora' for Southern Climates--easy to propagate from layering and can be grown from seed, too.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/aris_ele.cfm

The Dutchman's Pipe 'durrior', common in northern zones, can be propagated by cuttings or seeds according to

http://www.botany.wisc.edu/garden/db/speciesdetail.asp?genus=Aristolochia&species=durior

Also known as Aristolachia, Calico flower, Dutchman's pipe, pipe vine

tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2793810

Anyone have Dutchman's Pipe for trade? Karen
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2006
2:33 PM

Post #2793831

I'm working on PV cuttings. We'll see how it goes.

Maggie
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 7, 2006
3:12 PM

Post #2793906

I would also be interested in the Dutchman's Pipevine for trade or postage. ~Becky~
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2006
3:51 AM

Post #2796072

I'm still here T, Just been preparing for the swap RU mostly, and what I have from there will take a new inventory, hopefully by the first of this coming week.
I also expect to get a pipevine someone is bringing for trade to the RU, and I sure will start some cuttings (Becky), and if it works out like the passionvines did, we should be in bussiness. Passionvine takes very well to cuttings (Peggy)!!
T ~ I love the idea of planting the whole fruit on those, seems like it would work to me. Isn't that natures way? (From what I know you can't pick them, when the fruit is ripe it falls, and then the seeds and fruit meld into the ground and make a new plant.)

As for the other host plants (I have seeds for a few of them), we will see in the next week/s what I can make of them, and what I can offer.

Bflybo, I would like to try growing some rue from seed, save me some please. I have some you might want me to trade you back... really!

Gram~a~girl ;oD~ I am learning so many new things too, from here, and being provoked to research which I can be very tenatious at..lol.

So glad to see all the interrest in this, I will help out in any way I can!

:oDeb
budbloom
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2006
5:16 AM

Post #2796244

A few days ago I saw this beauty on my Mexican sage. I'm pretty sure it's a Pipevine Swallowtail, so now I really, really want a Dutchman's Pipe vine. But I'm also wondering if it's something I should wait til spring to plant. Anyone have thoughts on this and other host plants? I have 60 or 70 milkweed plants that are a few inches high - most are cuttings I made that are sprouting, or re-sprouting plants I bought that the cats stripped of leaves. I'm wondering how I'll protect them from freezes (wishing for a greenhouse!).

Deb, thanks for the info on passionflower vine cuttings. I'm going to try some now to see how they do.

Peggy

Thumbnail by budbloom

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2006
5:32 AM

Post #2796259

I have quite a few host and nectar plants in my yard, but the weather here is still very warm, so I don't have many seeds yet. Perhaps seeds will start forming on most of them by the end of this month when it traditionally starts getting cooler at night. I have maypop and passion vines but no fruit yet. I grew the 10 Maypop vines from seeds this year and they may not bloom or produce fruit/seeds this first year. The GF have been using them as host plants the past 3 months! The seasons are different in Florida in my zone. We honestly don't usually get our first really cold snap until Dec. or Jan. We have short Falls and Winters, so I don't get seeds until much later.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2006
5:42 AM

Post #2796266

Deb - I'd love a cutting from a Dutchman vine! I don't know much about doing cuttings from vines. I tried it once with a bleeding heart plant that was dying because I moved it twice and it just went into shock and died. 5 of the cuttings didn't work, but one did and it is just now starting to grow up my fence with some of the other vines. You'll have to tell me more here in this forum or in a d-mail or someone could direct me to a past forum about growing plants from cuttings. Perhaps I can do some cuttings from my own Passion and Maypop vines for a few folks. My vines are in their first season, so they aren't real big yet.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2006
11:31 AM

Post #2796436

Well, let's see...some of the pipevines and maypops are hardy in northern zones. But some have to be taken in and 'wintered over' in the garage or basement (or green house for those lucky people!)

As you get further south I am not sure how to best handle the cuttings and seedlings. You may have to use a sunny windowsill as a houseplant or a protected micro-climate in your garden, depending on your zones and plant hardiness.. Just don't get too attached to them as the cats will gobble them up come spring!

It might be worth it to baby a few vines along through the winter to get an early start in springtime to attract the first butterflies in your area. (That's what I'm going to do.)

There are instructions in different threads on how best to 'winter over' vines and other perennials in the garage for those of us in, say, zone 6...if anyone has this info handy, let us know, or I'll see if I can google it...

This is really getting interesting!

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2006
11:48 AM

Post #2796463

t, that's exactly what I was wondering about. how to keep those tender vines going over the winter. the maypops are the only hardy passifloras, correct? I was looking at the Brushwood Nursery web site yesterday and they mentioned that the other passifloras make good houseplants, so I'm picturing this huge vine growing all over my sun room. or would you take cuttings and start over each year?

gram
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
3:13 PM

Post #2796888

I took a cutting from my cassia to see if I can root it, cause I would like to pot it up and put it in my new butterfly cage. We'll see if it roots. Karen
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2006
5:49 PM

Post #2797200

Dear TropicalKaren,

According to Butterflies through Binoculars: The West by Jeffrey Glassberg, cassias are a host plant that is used by a lot of butterflies in our area. I have never heard of the cassia before this. If you could point me in the right direction where I can get more information about the cassia, I would appreciate it. I have probably seen it and just didn't recognize it.

Thanks,

Chuck
pamsue
Gresham, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2797247

hey thanks for posting and ill be joining your forum to learn all about the butterflies and the host and nectar plants..i have gathered some seed for next year but i do not have alot

pamsue
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
2:17 AM

Post #2798752

Hi Karen,

I'd be interested to see if the cuttings will root on your cassia. I have a few of them. One has big seed pods that I'm waiting for them to pull. The other has blooms and the beginnings of seed pods. I planned on saving the seeds to put in the BF garden next year.

The ones I have were cut way back last year. They came right back up this spring. Of course, we only get 2-3 really cold days here.

I don't think we did anything special last year with the cassias, but don't remember for sure. We do have a small area that we put tarps on and cram as many plants as we can in there, but most of the bigs ones sstayed out because there just wasn't much room. I hope to use my deck area as a wintering place also this year.

Chuck, here is a photo of mine. I've always known them as candlestick plants, until this year.

As for the exchange, I'll be happy to participate. Someone's going to have to tell me what the seeds of the milkweed look like though because I can't say that I've seen any yet.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #2798828

WTG Janet!
Cassia is one of my favorite plants of all. My sister and I have always called them Candletrees, and we have enjoyed them for many years here in North Texas. I have also learned that they can be overwintered here if they are cut back and covered well.

Sulphers find Cassia as their host plant, but ants and wasps continually patrol them for the eggs and any tiny larvae. The plant itself actually attracts those ants by secreting sugars which attract them. So it is a real challenge in many areas to see a multitude of yellow butterflies coming from them. Many people when, and if they find a sulpher cat on their Cassia probably need to take them off to a safe haven and clip off fresh Cassia leaves, (which grows new branches every day or two), to give the caged cats until they form a chrysalis...

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2006
2:59 AM

Post #2798876

Thanks Deb for that great info. I noticed the ants on the seeds and blooms.

I have quite a variety of BF's in the yard. I do see the yellow sulphurs on the cassias now and then, but they never sit still long enough for me to get their picture. Those plants are close to the back fence, which is right next to a drainage ditch. I see the sulphurs sneak over the fence, then dart back over. Just a peek is all I get of them. So I don't know if there will be any cats or not, but I'll start looking. I never thought to check for cats on them.

Some of the plants we "rescued" from Lowe's last night were different colors of lantana than I already have, pentas, and blue mist. At 50 cents to a dollar a piece for them, I thought I'd save some of my planting money for next year and get a bit of a head start on them now. Truth be told, I just can't pass up a withering plant and was pleasantly surprised that the ones on that rack of undesireables were the very plants I planned on buying anyhow... just planned for NOT last night.

Janet

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 9, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2798904

I have to tell you that I honestly believe the discounted plants can sometimes be the best because they are neglected and usually root-bound in the nursery pots. I think all that abuse makes many of them hardier! I have had some of the best luck with clearanced plants. They are usually my best performers in the garden after they become established. (Maybe they appreciate a good home more and reward me with excellent results?) Goodness... if music helps them grow, just imagine what a good home would do for them! LOL!
sundaigle
Crestview, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
4:28 AM

Post #2799137

I hope I am not too late. I would love to be part of this exchange. Though as a newbie, I have no seeds to exchange I do have some rooted cuttings of the butterfly weed in my garden.

Stacey
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
5:03 AM

Post #2799190

Welcome aboard Stacey! You are not too late, since we've not really started. This thread was just to see if others were interested in trading, so we've really not started yet.

I've never had my Candletree's come back, even with our light winters. They do reseed but they don't come up until late. I've got one that's just now about 2' tall but it will take off this month. I will try and collect seeds this year and start some early next year. I'm wanting a Winter Cassia, Senna bicapsularis, now.

EFG, your butterfly is a Tiger Swallowtail. The left side looks like it has 2 tails but not the right. I've only seen one pic of a Two-tailed Tiger so I'm not sure of the exact differences. Take more pics if you see it again.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2006
10:22 AM

Post #2799401

Many garden flowers, herbs and vegies attractive to butterflies can be aquired for from about .49 to .99 cents from an outlet for Thompson & Morgan: http://www.valueseeds.com/

Here's another butterfly plant link - it is redundant to what's already here, but I like the way the host/nectar icons make it easy to take in the information: http://www.gardencountry.com/pages/butterfly.html

Seed snatchin around here is a little like an Indiana Jones adventure - Maryland has hunting in the parks almost year round now (Our previous governor at least allowed "free Sundays", where hunting ceased just for that one day a week so everyone else could enjoy the parks). To take a walk away from the sharp shooters, entrance fees are now required for more tourist amenities and diminished natural habitats. I don't think DNR can even spell the word "habitat" grrr.

Amazing what you can learn from seed/plant swaps around DG. Tabasco, I haven't worked through your whole thread yet, but so far it's an enormous "motherlode" of knowledge - not to mention huge incentive to be kinder to the plant hosting Us.

Thank you.
karen
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
12:55 PM

Post #2799590

Something to try with Candletree, I am going to try it this winter myself:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/652500/ is a thread when I was asking about my Candletree, in essence here Patootie (Jackie) tells how her neighbor makes his come back. And there are some great pictures..
Y'all I have seeds for these for you to start in Jan of Feb indoors. I will send 5 seeds to everyone who dmails me with their address, until I run out of 'give away' stock. I think every garden should have one of these majestic plants. People here have been very generous with me, and I can only grow so many of them, they get huge!

Oh, and Paige~ when you find the Winter Cassia let me know I want a few seeds of that if they/you can spare them. THANK YOU soooo much for all the plants yesterday! I am so anxious to get the back-yard underway..and what you gave was just what I needed! tytytyty!

Becky~ I think you may have something there with the sale plants.. I bought my Buddelia 1/2 off and it thanks me every day with beautiful White Profussion blooms. Same with my Passionvines I bought at Wmart for 6.95 ea. That's a great tip Becky! I agree.. Dmail me Becky I need to put your address on my list for Hyacinth seeds..Thanks to Paige (KKB) I have WHITE TOO!! I will send you White and Purple. :oD!!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2799667

Awesome saves janet!
I am going over to Lowe's today to see what they have.. I need to get some different soil stuff to palnt what I got yesterday at the RU. My kids are out of school this week and I am going to recruit their help. Thanks for sharing your pic here, it is SO beautiful!!! Can't get enough of those! Please share more if you like. Keep looking for those cats:o). lol

(blue)Karen:o)~
Don't be too dissapointed if the cuttings don't take. Something tells me that is one plant that might not take to propagating that way. (I would love to be wrong, though). Seed seems to be the very best way to start them, and like I said I am going to try covering them like Jackie suggested in my Cassia thread. I think I will dmail everyone who responded in that thread and see if they can join us over here.. They were very generous and know a lot about Cassia. Thanks for sharing those links, I will study them in a bit.

Btw~ Cassia leaves have a phenominal medicinal value for different skin problems...and more.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
1:28 PM

Post #2799700

Great sites Karen!! I saved them, and you weren't kidding about the prices! I will be ordering something from them as soon as i can..:oD I like the way they put together the second site you listed as well...good reference!

Thank you!!
childofgraceus
Dayton, TX

October 9, 2006
1:35 PM

Post #2799723

Hello all
I am kinda new at the gardening thing but I am trying to get a butterfly and humming bird garden started I don't have any seeds yet except a lot of Texas star seed but I would love to get some for the butterflies. I am in south east Texas zone 10 and they say we so many differnt types of butterflys I like to have them all around my yard this spring!
Thank you in advance
Jesse
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
1:41 PM

Post #2799749

Welcome aboard Jesse!! We're very glad to know you! Your in the right place to start with. We will help you however we can!

tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2800071

The reason I am trying to root the cassia (which is still alive in water), is that my bush doesn't have pods or flowers yet. It is only 6-7 months in the ground. I noticed that the ants and other insects eat the eggs of the sulfurs and so I want a small cassia to put into my new butterfly house.

Frank, this is my cassia: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1328/index.html
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2006
4:27 PM

Post #2800309

Cool Karen, Keep us posted on how that goes. I'm sure whatever you learn will be helpful to many of us. (whose frank?)

Remember everyone to click the "Watch Thread" on this one so you can read entries as they come in.

Deb
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2006
7:55 PM

Post #2800945

TropicalKaren,

Thanks for the link. I had never seen a cassia before. It is a beautiful plant although a little too big for my yard. I am going to check at our local nursery of a cultivar that is smaller. If anyone knows of a cultivar like this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chuck (Frank...lol)
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2006
8:31 PM

Post #2801015

Chuck, (or whatever ;-) )

My cassia is easy to keep short just by hacking.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2801183

Would cuttings be useful for the Host Plant Exchange?

I am cutting back my PassionFlower Vine (the kind that grows in more northern climes) and will take cuttings if anyone is interested...

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2006
9:37 PM

Post #2801220

t, I would definitely be interested in the northern passiflora, if you want to save some for me for postage.

gram
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2801672

Yes definatly T!
The cuttings taken from the tip back about 12" should be fine to ship. Leave at least 3 leaves and the tip tender. Just wrap the cut end with a paper towel, and put in plastic bag zipped to close in the wet. Then seal it in a bit larger bag, big enough to curl it around inside and seal it shut. Should probably be packed with a piece of cardboard too, to prevent breaking. The recipient can put emmediatly into a bottle of water near a well lit window, and watch it until roots form. Then plant it. Pretty sure that will work.

I can be a guinnea pig for you on the whole shipping and rooting bit. Also I am surely going to be sending you anything I can for sharing and for your own garden. I still need to find out what you need and what I have you could use.

Today I cleared out a lot of gruff from by back yard, and bought some various bags of peat, soil, compost, manure, and new top soil etc.. and a big roll of weed block to put under it all. I need to get it done because of all the new plants I got at the RU. Then I will have time to inventory all the new seeds. I will share all I possibly can.

Fennel seed from the spice section of the grovery store is about $4 a bottle, and it comes up very fast, suprisingly viable seed! This is something everyone can do. I have bronze Fennel in my garden now but it hasn't seeded yet. I have a few packs of tripple curl Parsley, and some Dill seeds. I have plenty of the Blue Crown PV cuttings I need to cut and root.

I also have a limited amount of Queen Anns Lace seed I can share with you T if you want some.

That's it for now, I'm bushed!

:oD

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2006
12:54 AM

Post #2801749

OK Everyone! I set up the HOST PLANT seed exchange thread tonight so everyone can post their HAVES and WANTS.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/659555/

And I posted first to get it going, but let me know here if I need to make some changes (since I'm ignorant of how these usually go!)

I guess the idea is that everyone learns a little bit more about Gardening for Butterflies and that we encourage others to get involved in BF gardening, and of course, that we have fun.

So the Trading 'expectations' will be a bit loose and generous and, although I didn't say this on the other thread, I hope those of us who have milk weed seed pods up the yazzooo and don't need them all will be willing to share some with newbies or those who are running short! and likewise other seeds!

If/when there are questions, please feel free to add your 2 cents!

Thanks (in advance) everyone! t.

p.s. I am so excited I have 12 monarch cats on my MW today--a first time for me!

Thumbnail by tabasco

kaykay1010
Cincinnati, OH

October 10, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2801759

Congratulations, T!!!! I wish it was there when I was : 0 (

I hope you keep us all up to date with a time lapse photo montague.

Kelly
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2006

Post #2801766

Thanks deb, just read your careful description of how to do the cuttings. So will go ahead and gather some for the trading.

Interesting about the Fennel seed. Hadn't thought of that! I have a huge jar in my cupboard. I wonder if it's still viable. It's still delicious in home made bread!

Would the same be true for mustard seed? I read some BFs use mustard for host plants? I have all kinds of exotic mustard seeds!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2801953

I think it is worth a try T. You can also try the Fennel in your spice cupboard and see what happens.. The ones I used were straight from Kroger. Let me see if i can find a good pic of what came up.. Yaay I found it!

Now that reminds me i need to thin them out into sepparate little pots first thing tomorrow..

childofgraceus
Dayton, TX

October 10, 2006
2:15 AM

Post #2801985

I was told today that my butterfly weed will die back to root this winter :( it took so long for it to get where it is :( I'll go and mark the HOST PLANT seed exchange I don't have any seeds yet to trade but I would be williing to pay for the postage for any I can get! next year I plan to have all kinds! :)
budbloom
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2802071

Deb, that's a great idea about the fennel seeds - never thought of that. I'm going to get some right away.

I took a couple of cuttings of passiflora cerulean (sp?), dusted them with hormone powder and stuck them in vermiculite. Most everything I've done this way survives, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Will also try cuttings in water, which is my fav, since you can see if it's rooting.

Tabasco, congratulations on your 12 Monarch cats! I'm excited for you. Let us know how they do. Thanks for the suggestions about overwintering small plants and cuttings. I'm going to clear a spot in the garage for them and set up lamps for heat. Here in the oh so sunny South we just have to worry about a few freezes, but of course if a freeze gets them, they're just as dead.

I'm going watch my Queen Ann's Lace for seeds. I've been defending that tree/bush for years when others wanted to cut down that weed. Never realized that butterflies might like it just as much as I do. If I can get seeds I can send them out to whoever wants them.

Peggy
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2802424

Fabulous T!! On the dozen cats
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh btw i saw this one under a big rock in my yard today..I think it is a Sphinx because of the diagonal lines and dots, but it doesn't look like any Tomato hornworm I have ever seen before. Curious where it came from. No one around here has any Tomatos growing..

childofgraceus
Dayton, TX

October 10, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2802425

I am sorry for sounding so dumb but I looked at your picture tabasco (not sure of ur name) looking for the 12 monarch cats I don't have no idea what I am looking for, trying to figure this out so I can check mine to see if any have came around :( maybe u could some how point them out to me :) also isn't the season for butterflies about over I mean when it gets cold they go somewhere warm ?
Jesse
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2006
12:20 PM

Post #2803070

Tropicalkaren...is your cassia flowering? If it is you should see the tiniest of pods beginning to elongate in the center of the flower, probably green and bean pod-like.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2006
12:46 PM

Post #2803121

Well Jesse-- you have to look really carefully to see a couple of the cats and they all aren't on that MW, but if you look at the pics on the Trade Thread you can see a nice pic of one of them.

Yes, I am concerned about how late in the season we are, but I suppose Mother Nature knows what she's doing! The peak migration time for our area was late September, so if these do make it to butterfly stage I suppose with some luck they can start their journey south and not be too far behind.

I thought maybe I would bring them inside today (and get in the way of Mother Nature).

Thumbnail by tabasco

tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2006
3:36 PM

Post #2803633

Azreno, no flowers or pods because it was only planted about 6 months ago. That is why I am trying rooting in water.
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2803794

This is it's blooming time and they should flower in their first year shouldn't they? Cassias mature very quickly. I hope you get flowers!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2006
2:49 AM

Post #2805634

Yes it is definatly a tomato/tobacco hornworm, up there in the picture lol...or sphinx/hawk moth larvae. They hover and go backward like a hummingbird, hence the other common name Hummingbird Moth. They are awesomely beautiful creatures. (They drink at night from Moonflower, Nicotianna, and some others.) The proboscis is almost a foot long..I have't ever been able to take good pictures of them ...yet, lol. Still trying though.

Arenzo it sure is blooming time and like Karen I put mine in the ground about 6 months ago and don't have any signs of blooms. They are 7-8 ft tall now. I am going to try and overwinter them both really well, and see if they will come back in Spring. If they do, they will definatly bloom by Late Summer 07. Remember that I have some seeds I can send out if anyone asks. I listed them on my haves in the Trade Thread. Planting them indoors in Late January is what my SIL always did here in Fort Worth, and they always bloomed every year she had them. It;s alll good! Ya know waiting is the main virtue of a gardener...:o).
Waves @ all~~
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2006
5:37 AM

Post #2806184

And waiting, amen!
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2806525

I hope they do come back for you. I hear it's amazing what 6" of mulch will help get through the winter!
Sendone2me
Orlando, FL

October 11, 2006
1:53 PM

Post #2806761

Hello Everyone.
Ok I am going to offer to trade or for postage some seeds that butterflies like. Candle Tree, Cassia Alata. Maximillian Sun flowers. Dwarf Flamboyant, Can get some seeds from Lantana of varius colors. Or cuttings or plants. Lantana is hard to transplant but if I can find the wild variety that grow in fla. Orange and yellow the butterflies flock to them. I have butterfly weed seeds. I am going on a trip to Miss sat and will get seeds up there that most likely are good butterfly plants. My sister raises a lot of annuals. So if you would would like to get some from me send the usual 63 cents in a bubble envelope. Tape my address on a peel off label or put a label and then tape over your adderss and that will be fine just remember to put 63cents in stamps in the inside of the envelope and state what you want or if you want a few of all I have to offer. Fran

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2006
2:20 PM

Post #2806848

We can discuss all of those Host Plants right here for the next several weeks. This focus is so no one (especially me) doesn't get confussed about Host Foods vs Nectar Foods for Butterflies. I have so much to learn about hosting. Til now I have only truly hosted 3 kinds of Butterflies, Gulf Frit, Black Swallowtail, and Hairstreaks although I saw at least 12 different BFs over this Summer. Many of us are seriously interrested in hosting as many as will come to our areas.

Any and all of your experience will be so valuable to us.

Thanks for being here!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2806914

Wow this has been an interesting read. I will have to do some research and talk to some people in my area to see which are the best plants to attract butterfly's to my yard. I know my kids would love to see more of them.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2006
5:55 PM

Post #2807513

Great Marie! They will love this, mine have. Especially Ben, my 8 year old.

Welcome to this forum, glad to have you here..we will all learn a lot!

Here is a Gulf Fritillary (GF) about to form a chrysalis a couple days ago

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2807519

And here is the finished Chrysalis the day after that^^

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2006
6:03 PM

Post #2807537

Those are great pictures! I cannot wait to let my kids see these.
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2807551

Cool photos!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2006
6:36 PM

Post #2807625

Deb - Awesome photos!

My GF cats are very bright solid orange with black spikes. And the chrysalis is more of a light to medium brown. I wonder if your Texas beauties are different than the Florida GF? Do you have any photos of one as a butterfly? I'd love to see it!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2006
11:34 PM

Post #2808359

Thx y'all, and of course I do! LOL

This one is on A. Tuberosa, just checking it out... The Passaflora caerulea http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/129335/ is only a few feet from it, suppose she is resting from laying all the eggs?

This message was edited Oct 11, 2006 5:52 PM

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2808372

wow and WOW. great pics, Deb!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2006
11:45 PM

Post #2808374

Deb - Well that's interesting! My GF butterflies look pretty much like your photo.

Here's a photo of a GF cat I took a couple days ago on my young Maypop vine. Quite different than your GF cat!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2808408

Here's the Chrysalis of a GF that I took back in July. It's not the best photo because it was on the side of one of my flower pots. But it doesn't look like the photo of yours.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2006
12:08 AM

Post #2808421

Here's a GF Butterfly on what I believe is a salvia. I was looking at the spots on the wings trying to see what might be different from the Texas species. Can't say that I see much difference. That's really interesting how different the cat and chrysalis seem to look between our 2 southern states species. I just assumed they'd be the same. I assumed wrong!

This message was edited Oct 11, 2006 7:11 PM

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2808586

Yep Becky,
Mine look like that while they are growing, (All orange with blackish spikes), but right before they are about to find a place to hang they turn a grayish color. The Pupa is blackish and I believe, because they try to get as close as they can to the color of what they hang on. It has lightened up a little since the other day. (I will take a pic in the morning when the light is better.)

It is easy to keep track of them at this time because they were laid and hatched a day or 2 apart. It is even more amazing when you see the plant responding to the babies they host. Passionvine is just one of the most amazing plants. If you hold your finger against one of the outstretched tendrils for a few minutes it will slowly wrap itself. When an egg hatches, this redish liquid emerges from the tips of new growth is some nectar for new babies. So I think PV is more of a (Mother Plant) itself not just any ole Host.
I found a pic from about 2 1/2 wks ago, it is of the one in the J pic and the pupa pics (above) when it was a baby.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2808628

Deb - Very interesting! I had no idea about the Passionvine relationship with the GF! That's amazing!! Thanks for that bit of information. Are those red droplets in the photo nectar for the baby cat? I guess that explains why the ants love the Passionvine as well. :-D
Sendone2me
Orlando, FL

October 12, 2006
1:11 AM

Post #2808638

Hello All of You ,
I have lots of butterflies this time of the yr. I would be happy to have an seed exchange with anyone that wants some of my seeds. I posted in the other forum that had seed for butterfly gardens and I said I will be happy to share what ever I have with any of you that wnt some of what I have. This Sat I am going to Miss to visit and I can get lots of seed from the university of miss and I will share them with any of you. I may not know what they are but I know they are annuals.
Fran
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2808658

Great pictures Becky!
I loved your pic with the different sizes BST's too. I took one today of my 3..

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2808684

Hi there Fran!
Take pictures of what you get seeds from in MS for the ID forum, then you will know what you have:o) for sure ! Thanks for sharing!
Waves~~ and ty to gram~~~

Becky i think so too, but thank God I haven't had much of an ant problem on the PV from them being in big pots, maybe. When I plant them out back tha could change, YIKES!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2808706

I still have no cats. (sigh) but... today, Connie and i went back to Lowe's and bought about 10 more BF plants (lantanas, buddleia (sp.), blue mist, and something else that's escaping me right now) each one for $1. or less. They were distressed plants TODAY, but with a little TLC (and some watering), they will be GREAT plants come this spring! I plan on having a whole island of butterfly plants. Every place I can save some money is a good thing!

Love all of the photos. Can't wait to take some of my own!

Janet
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
2:00 AM

Post #2808792

Right on Janet!
Hitting those sales wtg.. I went to Lowe's the other day after you had mentioned that and everything was still marked high...bummage. I have too much now on my plate with a similar project in my back yard. If I go and get anything it will be more dirt, and stuff.
I saw more Monarchs today in a sort of spread out flock, very far apart. Various ones would land on the Buddelia to drink and I was snapping away, and then...my Camera Batteries died. When I went to the store they were flying across the road in front of me about every 30feet.

budbloom
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2006
5:31 AM

Post #2809359

Totally cool Monarch, Deb. Never seen one with those browns and red before.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2809711

Thank you Peggy,
I think its from the way the sunlight came through from the other side..and with such perfect conditions, and batteries die...man!! I have a few pics of some other Monarchs with that red color coming through that I took last week. Y'all keep your cameras ready they are flocking south like crazy now. When I was out yesterday and noticing them from my car, and everywhere, I looked around and no one else was noticing them...so many people rushing around and oblivious to these, I felt as if I was in some strange consciousness of another world.

This one is from last week:

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2810397

[quote]debnes_dfw_tx said:

I looked around and no one else was noticing them...so many people rushing around and oblivious to these, I felt as if I was in some strange consciousness of another world.[/quote]

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Lately, I've told everyone I know about my new "addiction/passion" for butterflies. They smile and get that look like, I wonder what this gal's been smokin'!" HAHAHAHA I know whan that look comes along that they have no clue what I'm telling them. They are just too busy to appreciate God's artwork in their own "backyard".

I've been thinking about the plants that I got. I have a half a dozen small trashcans that were NEW from Goodwill. I'd planned on drilling some holes in them and planting my herbs. I think instead, that I will plant all of these butterfly plants so that they will "store" easier for the winter and then by the time spring rolls around, the roots will be well developed and they'll be ready to plant in the ground. They had 3 waybigo stacks of those garbage cans the other day. I think I'll go back and ask them if they will give me a quantity discount. They were only 99 cents a piece, but if I was to buy 25-30 of them, I might get them cheaper. I need to figure out a way to decorate them though because they are pretty plain jane. But they would work well to serve my purpose. Sorry folks, just pondering out loud here. HAHAHA

Janet
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
4:52 PM

Post #2810512

Janet, I feel like other people are missing out on so much. There is so much else going on out there than they realize. There is nothing that compares to the peace I feel when I go outside and watch the whole other world going on outside of mine. The sun, wind, leaves blowing, butterflies flying, bees buzzing, spiders lurking, hummers squeaking etc. etc!

It made me realize, not for the first time but really understand, that everything is not about me (or one person). I see how everything has a plan and everything has a reason and that comforts me in knowing that just like when that one little sparrow falls to the ground, God sees me.

I try to share it with whoever will listen and it never fails that no matter how long I talk to them that their eyes light up and they suddenly "see" something new. I guarantee they will never just look past a butterfly without noticing it. I tell my son's friends and classmates about them and they always ask me about them. I just joined the school's "beautifation committee" too!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2810574

For me it seems that when I don't take the time to "Stop and smell the roses", my soul is not at peace. I think a lot of folks realize that because gardening is the #1 past time here in the U.S. (and probably the world). I think God's creative handiwork is simply amazing! I also think that most young people are too busy being busy. As we get older - "we've been there, done that" and find that it doesn't fill us up but often drains us. I used to be one of those people who were busy all the time. I've learned to say a firm "No." Can't say that I miss that lifestyle! And sometimes I can't avoid it even now, but I love to head home to my garden to see what God has waiting for me. Amazing what you can see if you just slow down and look around.

Have a peaceful day in your gardens everyone! :-)
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
5:41 PM

Post #2810637

The last couple of comments have been very Inspirational. My goal & prayer has always been to have my yard/garden so peaceful and full of God's beauty that people want to just stop and come for a visit even if they do not know me. I want it to be a place where people can come and feel God presence.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2810691

It's definitely something that happened as I grew older. I still enjoy doing some of the things that I've always done but they are becoming old and less important. I would much rather stay home and deadhead flowers sometimes! :)

Marie, I hope that you are able to get make your garden what you are imagining it to be. Mine is always a work in progress. It doesn't have to be my garden either. I love going to the Japanese Gardens and the Botanic Gardens in Fort Worth too. It's nice to have my own slice of it in my backyard tho.

Gardening is my release and like my nicotine. I must have some time each day to go outside and at least look at it. Sometimes I can work hours and sometimes it's just to sit for 15 minutes and look or deadhead.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2810722

Yes I am the same way it is my addiction too. But I love looking at al the wonders that happen each day in it. I am sure mine will always be a work in progress too! I take no credit for it and give it all to the Lord (he along with everyone else knows what a black thumb I have)
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
6:23 PM

Post #2810750

I agree that too many people don't take the time to enjoy nature. My neighbors are into golf and I am sure they think of me as a nut job (lol) but...yesterday one of them told me she hasn't had any aphids on her plants this year and thought it was cause I released 900 ladybugs. Another told me that evertime she sees a BF she thanks me. So maybe it is getting through a little. Wish my constant haranguing them about not using pesticides would get through.

Wait until they see my new pets, my worm farm (rofl). Karen
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
6:40 PM

Post #2810802

Hi! Everybody!! I know what you mean that gardening for butterflies is addictive. I gladly own up to the addiction. I hope that I am able to give in to it for many years. My wife loves it also...not because she likes butterflies but because it keeps me occupied. She also likes me gardening because I am spending money on the garden at the house and not on an activity that I shouldn't.

I used to think that when the kids leave home, everything in the garden would be boring but, you know, I am starting all over with the grandkids...lol.

Keep the host plant selections coming. I am learning a heck of a lot.

Thanks,

Chuck
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
7:41 PM

Post #2810973

Just got my little PawPaw from eBay today, in good condition. Now all I need to have the complete BF garden is a spicebush. Karen
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2006
8:23 PM

Post #2811076

oooooh ... am I ever jealous, Karen! You'll have to tell us how it does in Zone 9a.

I was at a local nursery asking about Pawpaw and was told that it was too hot in my zone to grow it successfully.

I've been told that about other plants too, but it didn't stop me from trying! LOL!
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2811290

Nah Uh Becky, Should be OK in your zone.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/129080/index.html
childofgraceus
Dayton, TX

October 13, 2006
12:48 AM

Post #2811882

lol I was reading all ya's input about ur addictions and I was at work today telling this guy I need off Saturday to get the rest of what I got planted, he asked what you mean (his is thinking pot drugs) I said I am getting a butterfly and humming bird garden ready for spring, he really gave me the strange look he asked if I was married I said what would that have to do with it! He though a man was strange for growing flowers especially for butterflies!
And I agree with you marieortiz and all the rest of ya I just want God to be glorified and His Glory to cover my garden, Jesus said “when I am lifted up I will draw all men unto Me”!
Jesse
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2812010

Wow!
I'm out all day moving dirt, building beds, and digging...I come back in and check the thread and all the sisters are realy talking my language. The Lord has taught me so much with Butterfles. it is a parable so simple that really compares to how we're changed into new life being born again. True confession: Christ Jesus is my passion, everything else is second.

He lead me out into the garden after a major loss, and from many dips into depression that would kill any grown man...He put things into my hands to grow as we talked in the Garden. Showed me that Joy was mine to keep, and never be taken away. He showed me a hope inside me to see beyond myself to needs of other people. No one has to ever live without Hope, because He already came...and He doesn't take it away from you if you mess up.

Hope is a tool...it unlocks all sorts of things..reminds me of a serious verse that got stuck in my head: Always be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within you...
and another He said goes with it: Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when desire comes it is a tree of life.

My career for 20 years as a Locksmith was all God's doing too, and the wide range of clients was amazing...I knew it was Him helping me. He helped me win a lawsuit against me when I had to represent myself for lack of finding a lawyer who would go up against the one suing me...He was examining me on the stand and asked, Why couldn't you have a real attorney represent you?" My reply was, "someone is representing me, His name is Jesus." The look on that guys face was priceless!! And I won... Coincidentally the next week I was doing a lock job for a woman and she had been on the jury I had requested... I said, "Why did you all take 4 hours to deliberate my case?" She said, "We were trying to figure out exactly how much money the lawyer owed YOU." That was so cool!! ...I had not counter sued so I didn't win any money, I won so much more than money could touch.

Hope I didn't go on too long y'all, it doesnt take much to make me talk. I guess I was trying to say Amen! to all of you sisters in here. Right on about God's work Janet, and all the oblivious people, so true! KKB (paige) wtg on the butification commitee girl!! ~Waves and amen to my newest friend Marie!! Bless ya Beckie I relate, and yours & Marie's Cassia seeds are in the mail!
Yeah Karen, we need to keep a lot od ladybugs around our Milkweed, the aphids sure seem to love it.. I mean it is an aphid magnet, lol.. But we ain't raising aphids!! Waves ~ @ the Chuckster!! I agree totally Jesse!!

I stayed here so long now I will have to check my other threads in the morning...Night night! Sweet dreams!

This message was edited Oct 12, 2006 7:40 PM

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2812072

Okay one more, LOL!

Paige imo you are excellent for that Butification Committee.

You guys~ This is just a fraction of Paige's Butterfly Garden.. see what I mean??
(I took this pic on a visit in September I have a few other pics)

Ok night! I mean it.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2006
1:51 PM

Post #2813243

Wow Debs you pack a punch. There isn't a square inch for anything else. Beautiful!!!

P.S. Sorry, looked at the picture before reading the comment. Wow Paige!!!

This message was edited Oct 13, 2006 9:02 AM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2813270

WOW! Paige has really done a gorgeous job on her gardens! I'm still trying to learn layering in my garden like that. Thanks Deb for posting that photo!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #2813341

The GF Chrysalis I showed the other day changed to a lighter color. Here is the pic from this morning.>

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2813406

Deb - That looks alot more like the chrysalis I've had from my GF here in Florida! Good shot! You definitely have a photographer's eye! :-)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2813477

Thx Becky,
It helps to have a good camera, it is a Cannon S1, DH is going to check into an upgrade now that the S3 is out.

Here's an emerging GF from off the eve of the house, it was a lighter color because of what she chose to hang on, (i guess). That black one from before was WEIRD to me too, lol. I had never seen one that dark, but I had read they have a tendency to camoflage somewhat.

Btw~I looked at your list, and I noticed you didn't have Queen Anne's Lace on there, so I put some of those seeds in there too. If you already have some, just share those with someone else.:o)

Janet~ Yayy, you got a Paw Paw! Tell me what the instructions said on how to plant it if you have them. Can you show a pic of it, I would love to see. (I am interrested in seeing how long the root is.)

Deb

tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2006
3:04 PM

Post #2813489

I just bought a 1 gallon PawPaw from a gal on eBay and have planted it. There are no long taproots, just a regular "bundle" of roots. The whole thing, including shipping was $12.49. Karen
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2813540

Deb - Gosh! Another gorgeous photo! Love it! Connie and Janet need to see that photos since they have just found some GF cats for the cage they just built! (BTW- I have sent your seeds out already. You should receive them sometime next week.) Thanks for the Queen Anne's Lace. I have tried growing it, but it is apparently too hot in my zone and they don't survive for very long. Beautiful flower heads though. Maybe I should plant them very early (Spring) and they might last a little longer for the Swallowtail cats? Something for me to think about!

Karen - I see Zebra Swallowtails in your yard next year! How cool is that?!!! I posted a thread on DG asking for Pawpaw seeds. A member from Spain emailed me to say they had them at their local hardware store. That kind of blew my mind! Pawpaws in Spain??!!! Interesting.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2006
3:52 PM

Post #2813644

Wow Deb thanks for sharing your wisdom. And that picture of Paiges garden is inspiration!!! This thread has truly become a blessing in my life. When I did not even know I needed one.
I got a wooley butterfly plant and another type of pipevine today. I cannot wiat to do some more work and really get a butterfly garden going!!!
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2006
8:22 PM

Post #2814404

I have to add a picture that I took in my garden last week (Oct 3) as the monarchs were migrating through. I counted 24 at one time on my 2 New England Aster plants. This is the first time in my life I've seen so many butterflies in one place. And I've been growing these asters for 15 - 20 years, but never have they attracted so many.

Thumbnail by cindyeo

cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2006
8:24 PM

Post #2814407

And one more picture:

Thumbnail by cindyeo

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
10:27 PM

Post #2814693

How cool is that Cindy?? Somebody north of you had some serious Milkweed.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, your Aster is beautiful!
Did you happen to grow any Host Plants this year?
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2814764

I'm so glad Marie!
That's why this thread was started, you might say it was just for you.

Well, I bought some organic compost from a local H&G store and was having DS(Kirby) dump some thing out, and walked away for just a couple minutes..When I came back he had dumped 1 of the bags out and it was full of stringy mildew!! Right on top of a carful mixture I had been working on all day long. It was like a punch in the stomach...All I could do is start sifting it out, and been flipping the soil around today to let the sun dry it out. (TG it's sunny today) I got some corn meal too, hopefull that will get it and I can get more soil. Yep it slowed me down, but it's getting there. I need about 1500 more pounds of stuff, lol.

Til now I have had patches of Host plants by the front porch and on the east side of the house. Here is the small 20x10' spot I cleared out (such as it is), especially for Butterflies in the back yard. Right now it is a blank slate..all the ideas are stuck anxiously in my head. I need to move the plant that is there, and plant 1 Cassia right in the middle. The PassionV is going all along the back fence, and Snapdraggons in the front, some herbs behind that, Milkweed behind those, etc. I will sow what I can this Fall and put clearly marked flags in place... (ooOOthinking outloud). If anyone has any input I welcome it..

~waves

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2006
12:12 AM

Post #2814941

Marie - Glad you find this forum uplifting! You never know ... the best may be yet to come!

Cindy - Knock me over with a feather! Now YOU have got some serious migrating Monarchs that headed your way! That is sooo truly amazing. I've never seen such migration here in Florida. That's neat that you got some photos! Half the time when I see something worth photographing, I never have my camera with me.

Deb - A cleared plot of land for planting... that's the kind of stuff I dream of! No kidding. The hardest part of gardening for me is preparing an area for planting. I'm so sorry that the compost had mildew in it! How frustrating! You know what ... the Good Lord saw all your hard labor on this and I guarantee you that it is going to be absolutely stunning when it is all done! You just wait and see! :-)

Are you wanting this area to be a host plant area or nectar area or both? Sounds like you already have a plan in your head. Be sure to add something whimsical in it for a focal point, too. I put a butterfly house in my front yard garden. (Of course we all know butterflies rarely if ever use a butterfly house.) But it gets everyone's attention when they walk up to my house and wonder about it. If this area is specifically for butterflies, you might want to add a puddling area or perhaps a birdbath filled half way with some moist mud and flat stones in it for the butterflies to land in. A small ornamental tree for shade and for the butterflies to land on to rest. How big do the cassia get? Just some ideas I thought of off the top of my head.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2006
12:48 AM

Post #2815052

Great ideas Becky!
A butterfly house would be cute, I will be on the lookout for something whimsical...(Even if I need to go to the craft store and get one I can paint and decorate myself..ooOOhumm...And yeah mainly host plants spotted with small nectaring plants. Of course I will plant more Buddelia Alba, and Vitex nearby, only not in that bed. I made a makshift puddle near the Budd in front.. a small shallow birdbath would be good for that in hte new bed. Very encouraging notes Becky..

Thanks girl!

I went out to take a pic of the Cassia a while ago and a huge Monarch was taking a drink of the Bud...I caught her at an angle that makes her look like Mrs Butterworth-fly..with a brownish apron skirt trimmed in black with polka-dot with a matching top.. lol. She was about 4" span, and very vivid coloring.

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2815073

The Cassia gets about 8-10ft high in one season here in TX with a lot of watering. In FL it could get bigger, so space them out very well or they will overlap leaves.. In some tropical places, (such as the Philippines), they reach 25', and are on the Invasives list there. Here is one of mine (pic) I'm planning to overwinter. It is about 8' tall now. I think you could sow some well marked seeds now where you live, and see what happens...it should break its dormancy and then come up early next year. Save some to start in January in a warm place just in case.

Here it is beginning to fold it's leaves together for the night..

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2006

Post #2815079

Deb - LOL about the butterfly looking like Mrs. Butterworth. You know, she kind of does. Great photo!

Something I wanted to mention, if this area is mainly for host plants, you might want to reconsider. The host plants may get chewed up and not look so good, so I would definitely mix it half and half with nectar plants. That way the host plants can be a bit hidden and blend in with the nectar plants. I learned that lesson the hard way when my front garden was mostly host plants. I have since added quite a few nectar plants and it kind of hides the chewed up host plants that the cats are feeding on. Just a suggestion!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2815143

Right on Becky, good advice taking to heart:o)).. I will have a several nectaring flowers too for sure, I did that in front. I am planning to plant more Bud and Vitex, and Hyacinth around the side fences. Smaller nectaring plants for 'the BF bed'. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with their appetites by planning to have backups in sucession.. The thing I would be most concerned with in the back yard is natural selection.. birds feasting on them. And I do love my birdies too. It might take a while to get a balance going, but I'm up for it. I have to trust that a significant amount of them will survive, and I will be happy as a clam..
Thx again, I love your suggestions.

Deb
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2006
3:33 AM

Post #2815675

Deb - I just saw your cassia tree. I really like it! Does it cast a lot of shade or just a little? I discovered I had one in one of my large deco pots. Don't know how it got there. Must of been in with something I bought and planted in the same pot. I have yellow Shrimp plant in with it. It is about 3 foot tall and is blooming. You are right, it grew really fast. It seemed to pop up out of nowhere! Another plant to transplant to the "right" place in my yard sometime soon. lol
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

October 14, 2006
5:57 AM

Post #2815938

Oh my what a wonderful thread! Deb I knew there was a reason for me getting stuck on you ... God still sits on his throne! Sheila ... thanks for inviting me over here. I just love hearing you guys talk about these Butterflies. I never though about Butterflies until Paige turn them loose at the swap. Actually I thought she had caught some Butterflies and was turning them loose LOL I was wondering why all the color was still on the wings. Now dont yall hate me ... but when we were little kids we use to catch them and all the color came off the wing... I always wondered about that ... we would keep them in a jar until my granny made us turn them loose.Paige thanks for that awsome site and the great inservice.
Sylvia
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2006
1:50 PM

Post #2816347

Sylvia!! That's right , we all connected! How in the world are you? Your still cracking me up real bad, and now about the butterflies. rofl..Yes those Butterflies Paige set loose were from eggs laid in her BF garden. She's got the touch. Hope to see a lot more of you sister Syl! Sheila thank you again for taking me over to Paiges garden with you...and thanks for getting Sylvia over here. How are your little ones doing?

I just went out to check on the GF that was closed in and it was gone! No trace of it anywhere, and it was hidden pretty well too. I hope whatever ate it gets indigestion.. Yeah I do love the birdies, but I still rather them not eat the BF's.. It could have been one of those Pink Gheckos we have crawling around too. G Whiz, its a jungle out there!

Waves~
Deb
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2006
1:55 PM

Post #2816363

Sylvia - Welcome to the Butterfly Forum! You will find out everything you never knew out our beautiful winged wonders!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2006
2:18 PM

Post #2816439

Becky~
They do cast shade, I have found that full sun plants do pretty well around them if it is trim at the bottom up as it gets bigger.
I like to make them look more like a tree than a shrub so that I can plant other smaller flowers underneath them. Royal carpet
Alyssum would look real pretty, or anything short and deep purple.

Deb
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2816572

Deb - Thanks! That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. We seem to think on the same wave-length! :-)

I have this idea in my head for my backyard landscape. I want to section off and box in plant areas using wood edging. (I know wood deteriorates but it is cheaper than block, brick, or stone. It can be replaced as needed.) I plan to do numerous areas in my backyard and then add a winding path using large pavers through all of it. I am thinking of making "rooms" of different gardens in my backyard. I've seen landscaping like that and I am determined to create such an area to "relax and explore" with seating areas scattered throughout. The grass will be no more!! (Except for a small area for my dog to do his business in. :^s) My house is sitting in the middle of a standard size lot 80' X 125', so that will be the challenge to see how much I can fit into my small backyard. Right now I am just doing the gardens around the perimeter of the backyard. I plan to tackle the perimeter against the back fence next Spring/Summer. Doing it this way reminds me of "out-lining" something and then filling it in. So I am setting up the exterior borders and will move inward. Does that make sense?

On the "Before and After Gardens" thread, Janet shared photos of her back patio area. Another project that I hope to do in the Spring is build a patio just outside my tiny screened porch. I am planning to use large pavers to do that as well so that I can match it up with the path to make it all flow together. The biggest problem is that this is going to take years to complete. I just hope I will see the end results. I want it lush like Paige's garden using layering of plants. Big idea, lots of work, time, and money ... we'll see. And to make it worse, I have a sloping back yard. I am going to try to convince my hubby to build me an archway using a trellis design that I can grow either a vine or maybe even try climbing roses on. That is my dream yard! I may be taking on too large an endeavor. (Probably!) I do 90% of the work in my yard by myself. My family is NOT into gardening at all. I wish I was rich and could pay someone to come put in the patio, path, and beds so that I could just do the selecting and planting of what I want growing throughout. But unless I hit the lotto, I'm a one-woman crew! LOL!
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
1:29 AM

Post #2817915

Just love all these butterfly plants and information.. question??? Are the paw paws the same as the wild ones that grew/grow in Florida. They were in pastures everywhere in central Florida.. Elaine
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2817964

Probably so Elaine :o).. Only one Paw Paw, as far as I know. Anyone else know??

Worked all day on the above 'blank slate". I put in nearly every BF plant I had loose in there... Now to move the Passionvines back there. I have to wait on one to "J" that is real ready now... Then I might be able to move the PVs.

Ouch, and Good Night
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2006
2:10 AM

Post #2818015

Well, where's the pictures Debnes??? We wanna see how it all turned out. :-)

Janet
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
2:26 AM

Post #2818051

LOL Janet,
It hasn't officially turned out yet , your kiling me rofl! It takes more than "one" day for something like this to 'turn-out'. How long did it take between your 'before' and 'after'? You triggered some seriously weary rofling here Jan...Still quite a bit left to do, although, to me it looks a lot different. I did take a picture...and so far I will wait on sharing that one. I still want to do the back fence wall, plant PassV, and PipeV...not close together at all, just being picky about how I do plant both of those. Boy I'm bushed! Will start again tomorrow, but I have to throw a double Bday party for my oldest (24), and youngest (8).. Whew!
Pray for me y'all~
;oD
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2006
3:56 AM

Post #2818274

Good Lord it took you a while (16 years) to figure out what caused them! HAHAHAHA Good Luck on the party. I haven't done a bday party in several years. We usually let the kid pick where they want to eat and just get the family together for that. My girls are 18 and 24.

I suppose I can be patient on the pics. I'm a bit anxious because I'm planning my own BF garden and need all of the ideas I can get.

I have 3 freeform ponds that I want to use. Connie and I put them in the front yard today and I didn't really like the way they looked (naked and black sides and all). So I think I am going to remove some stuff in the front that's been there forever up close to the house, along with some really invasive weeds that have taken over, and park them there. I do believe I'm going to have to learn how to use that weed whacker and tackle that job myself. I'll pull out as many as I can. There is ground cover in a nice fluid line all along there and I think that will cover up the nakedness of the tubs. I'm hoping this will make them pretty much weed free, Plus... BIG BONUS... I won't have to dig any holes for the plants! Yippeeeeeeee!! Downside. I've bought 4 huge bags of soil today and don't think that's going to make a dent in what I really need. I bought 2 huge bags the other day but have already dumped them into my potting bathtub and really don't want to move them again, so I'll save them for potting plants.

I've been adding to my BF plant "stash" this week for the BF garden. I bought 2 durantas, one white and one light lavender, lipstick plant (not sure if it's for BF's or not, and really don't care at this point... I loved them), 6 lantanas, 1 pink salvia, 1 pink and salmon something that's escaping me, a pink buddleia, 6 blue mist plants, a Mexican Sage, and a few more milkweed. It's really hard to find around here. I found one red/orange one today. Several of the plants were distressed - read cheap here, but are beautiful now. Some weren't so cheap, but doggoneit, I'm worth it! I can't wait to see the results. It's been many years since there was lots of color in the front of the house. We used to have several islands with wildflowers out there, but have lost 5 trees in the front yard in the past 16 years. And there went my islands. It's so hot out front that I don't water very often. Most of the shrubs are pretty self sufficient, thank heavens!

I also bought a slew of herbs this past week. Chocolate Mint, Oregano, Rosemary, Dill, Parsley, Chives, and I'm sure some others that I can't think of right now. Some will be for the BF and some for cooking with. I think I am going to put that gorgeous Mexican sage in the center of the herb garden pond and the rest all around it. Man that stuff is beautiful with those big purple spikes!

You all have created a monster here. I hope you're happy now! HAHAHA I am!

Janet
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
3:23 PM

Post #2819112

Well then Janet, we re all a pack of monsters then. LOL.. I have planted most of what I am having in the BF bed for now..I still need to chose where I sow certain seeds I have, and of course they wont be visible until Spring. Moving all the dirt and such wore me our yesterday, but I ma so glad I got planted what I did, bc we got a lovely slow soaking rain this morning.. ooOAh the smell of wet dirt in the morning!Ooo It did rain on me yesterday a little, but I kept on trucking...

For a few years the back yard was neglected somewhat, and my Chihuauah (Itty) thinks it is 'his' territory. He is so curious about everything I am doing that he is glued to my heels when I'm out there. Very cute:o), and I like the company, except when he tries to copy me and dig...One of these days he might dig and find some of his own scat in there, and that will cure him i think.

Such as it is I will show yas all what I got so far. I am going to move the Duranta in the back of this section pretty soon bc thats where the Cassia is going to be, with Lupines on both sides.

>>>>

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
3:27 PM

Post #2819120

Here is what I have done to mark the plants, particularly the SEEDS>>

When plants are settled in and esablished I may get some better markers, however for $1(24 bamboo sticks) and 74c(roll duct tape)..It will work for now.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2006
3:38 PM

Post #2819159

Deb,

It looks fantastic! Ya done did good! It's easy to see how pretty it will be in the Spring when all of the seeds come up. Love those markers.

Janet
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2819178

Deb - The markers are adorable!!! They are YOU! Too cute! And your garden is going to be butterfly HEAVEN! Can't wait to see it in the Spring. That's really helpful that you labeled everything in your photo. You'll have to post it on the "Before and After Photos". We don't mind waiting until next Spring/Summer to see the "after" photos! :-) You've done an amazing job preparing and planting your patch of garden. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy God's creativity as it unfolds into something remarkable! It's going to be gorgeous!

Do you get freezing temps at all where you are at?

Is your garden similiar to Paige's garden plants? I would love to know what plants Paige put in her garden, too. I need all the ideas I can get!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2819212

I didn't know what a "Texas Mistflower" was. So looked it up ... Ooooooo ... really unique and pretty flowers! I've never seen it in Florida. (Probably for a reason because it is called "Texas" mistflower. LOL!)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2819213

Looking at Deb's great garden/design reminds me that I was going to ask what you all grow your passionflower vines on? my butterfly garden is an island so I can't trellis it up against the side of the house or a fence. although I supposed it doesn't HAVE to be in the butterfly garden. I could put up a trellis in one of the beds by the house.

ideas?

here's my butterfly garden (put in a lot of new perennials this fall)

gram ~a girl~

Thumbnail by grampapa

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2819220

Thank you Becky, your acolades gave me goosebumps!
Yes we do get freezing temps, so when I know they are eminent I will cut back and cover a lot of this, keeping the cute markers in place so I know whats under there.. Another good reason to have markers.

Here is what I might potentially host:
Parsley, Dill, QAnnes Lace (josephine), & Fennel > Black Swallowtails
Snapdragons > Buckeye
Hollyhock > Painted Lady (from Siggy)
Milkweed > Monarchs & Queens (from Paige, Sheila, and Josephine)
Cassia > Sulphers (from Rylaff)
Dutchmans Pipe (not planted yet)> PV Swallowtail (from Ted)
Blue Crown, and Purple (from Paige)Passionvines> Gulf Fritillary
Lupines> Silvery Blue

Almost forgot, there is a stem in there I did mark with a marker, but missed labeling in the picture.. It is a Goldenrod plant I got from City_Sylvia at the plant swap.
>>it's in there Syl, I am taking good care of it like ya told me to...LOL
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2819233

Oh Grams!
What a nice BF Garden you have.. Wowie!
Lovely property too!

I am not planting my PV directly in the BF "patch".. I am planting them behind to the left in that wooden box the size of a twin bed. This way it might be easier to keep under control, and I plan to put some lattice all along the back fence.
Does that help?

Deb
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2819309

thanks much, Deb. I put it in spring '05, but was planning it in my head for a couple a years before. yours is going to be great! your labels are so pretty..never would have guessed duct tape LOL

I'm guessing the vine could get pretty heavy? just want to make sure I'm prepared for it. could possibly put it in here

Thumbnail by grampapa

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
5:09 PM

Post #2819381

Looks like a great place for it Gram! How nice!

Are y'all all sitting down? You won't believe what I just found on the side of my house...growing there for years, and I never knew what it was. It never became invasive, I would just see it in spots, and sometimes popping up beside the driveway.

Wild Violet, yeah ...go figure!
Today I looked it up on DG Plant files and saw a picture. And then had a real WOW, and Thank You God! moment..

Here is what I dug up>

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 11:27 AM

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
5:10 PM

Post #2819385

I put it behind the Hollyhock and taged it >>

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
5:12 PM

Post #2819395

And what's that I see there? A bud?

Doin' a happy dance~~

How cool is that?

Like I always say: "Expect to be lucky, and you will be."

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
5:29 PM

Post #2819463

BTW~~
If y'all are wondering where Tobasco has been, I am guessing she has been working to find some host plants in her neck of the woods. We shall see when she returns :o)
childofgraceus
Dayton, TX

October 15, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2820073

What is SASBE?
:) Jesse
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
11:15 PM

Post #2820243

SASBE=Self Addressed Stamped Business Envelope..

For seeds I send out, I rather just send them and all I ask is for the person to send seeds to someone else when they get them. If they have something I need, it is an even trade (usually).

If it is a whole plant I go and send from a post office or mail room. Then tell the person how much it costs and they can mail me $ in a folded note.. OR Trade plant for plant.

To me it would be hard to know how much postage to put on the SASBE... could take more stamps depending on the quantity and what kind of seeds.

Hope this helps
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2820277

I just asked that question on another trade and someone told me SAS Bubble E, because the seeds can be crushed by the automatic sorting machines. And that standard postage (first class), unless a large amount of seed, would be .63. So what I have decided is, it's probably a good idea to double-check with the person you are trading with to be sure that you are meeting their needs/expectations. Because I am so new at this and everyone has been very kind to me, I don't want to make mistakes so anyone is sorry they sent me something.

Deb, cool on the violets :0)

gram
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
11:54 PM

Post #2820337

Thanks Gram,
Certainly Bubble envelope is MUCH safer, rofl @ myself(duh). Sorry folks! and thanks Gram for catching me. I have sent a few seeds out sometimes in just a business size envelope and I believe they all arrived safely. If they had been very fragile seeds I would have used a bubble envelope, but this time they were not. In any case>
I just bought some USPS square bubble envelopes (8x9") at BigLots > 5 for $1.50. I will definatly use them from now on.

Thanks yall!

Deb

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2820357

When I needed bubble envelopes once and just couldn't bring myself to buy the big ones for something so small, so I bought the smaller plain yellow ones, cut a piece of bubble wrap and folded around the seed packets. It worked great.
Sheila
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2006
12:05 AM

Post #2820361

I know the milkweed seeds I got are very flat and came in a regular envelope. good deal on the envelopes. I'll have to check BigLots
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
12:12 AM

Post #2820376

Very good Sheila!'
I'm glad you suggested that too, it can so much cheaper, and I noticed at BL they did have rolls of bubble wrap there with the Bubble Envelopes, really cheap too.

Deb

PS.
I amost forgot one more that you all can scout out in your area and that In the Borderpatch BF, they feed on sunflowers and seem to love one in particular called Cow Pen Daisy. Here is a bit on that> http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/650348/

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 6:41 PM
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2006
12:42 AM

Post #2820458

Oh Deb, Deb, Deb...what have you done? Putting wild violets in your fertile beds? Woman, you're crazy!!! And if you want more, I'll send you a box full, seriously. They COVER my back yard, literally. Maybe they aren't invasive where you are, but here in my yard they are actually my groundcover (not my groundcover of choice, but still...) They spread by little stolons underground and they live on air, I swear it! I've pulled them up to plant things, thrown them in the weeding bin and two weeks later they are still growing and blooming 0_0

So if they're not invasive in Texas, I can send you a box full of them. Mine look like the photo below, in bloom.

I really like that plant marker idea there Deb as well; and you're SOOO organized. Now that the days are short, I feel like I never have time to get anything done except in the morning before work.

Gram, LOVELY plants in your BF garden.

Welcome Sylvia~~!

Beck, let me know how that ground crew hiring goes...bwahahaha...I AM the ground crew, although DH helps tons with the 'heavy' work of shoveling and ripping up roots and digging out stumps, oh, and getting the rock chunks out of the ground. Secretly I think he's relieved that it's fall because we worked HARD the last few months in the heat.

~Sunny

Thumbnail by Hineni

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2820568

Sunny~
I am not so worried about them becoming invasive, I know they can be. This is a patch of earth I will be examining every single day and if it ges too thick, I will cut some out.. Ask me again how it goes next Summer. I might be pulling more than extra plants out, maybe my hair too. lol. This is my 'day job' now that I am simi-retired, along with 3 dear children at home still. They are all in school now, so I spend a lot of time working in the gardening these days. Still a long way to go.

Nice plants Sunny, exactly like mine. If one is hosting Meadow Fritillaries it is probably good to have a lot of it. And like you said it moves very easily without dying. Have you ever noticed any of these BFs in your garden? http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1694
If I dont get any bites this year I will probably move them, maybe sooner if I learn there is no chance at all.

Ok, there isn't ANY chance at all the Meadow Fritillary will show up here, (or South of NC), according to all the material I have dug up in the last hour. So I have an announcment to make:
Anyone want any Wild Violet? I will have to post this on the Seed Exchange for those in the North and Canada.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 8:14 PM
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
1:54 AM

Post #2820668

Grampapa - Welcome to this wonderful and helpful group of gardeners who just happen to love butterflies and caterpillars!

Everyone - I want to share 2 things I have discovered that have helped me with my gardening.

First - I have started trying to garden without digging up the ground. Here's how it works - In the early fall but no later than early winter - take newspaper and lay all over the area on the ground that you want to use for a garden. Spray it with the hose and soak all the newspaper to hold it down. Be sure to use at least 10 layers of newspaper everywhere and then cover with a heap of mulch about 6 inches deep. Leave it there until you are ready to do your Spring planting. The longer it sits, the better to completely kill all the grass/weeds/etc. underneath. When you are ready to plant, just push the mulch away from a small area in the garden where you are going to place a plant. I do an X cut, fold back the newspaper, dig out the dirt for the size of your plant, mix in some compost and good soil, put the plant in the hole, add more compost and good soil around plant, fold newspaper back over the area around the new plant, re-cover with mulch, and there you go! Move on to the next spot you want to add another plant.

I have actually done this with my herb garden, both of the side gardens along my backyard fence, and that is also how I did much of the front garden. I physcially can NOT dig up the ground. Of course, if you are removing plants, then you will have to do some digging and plant removal. It was a real chore to remove the shrubs we had in the front yard along the house. Luckily our yard was pretty bare except for grass/weeds before I put in several of the new gardens. So the newspaper/mulch did the trick for me! You can actually do this any time of the year, but it works best when everything is dying from the onset of winter.

Try it! It actually works. Remember - the trick is to smother and kill the growth underneath the newspapers & mulch. So the longer it is down, the better!

A fence trellis:
The second little trick I have used and this may or may not work for many of you. It really depends on how your fence is built. When we had our new fence put in, we just happened to get the kind of fence that has two horizontal supports that are about 2 inches deep across both the top and the bottom of the fence. I was trying to figure out how to get a trellis on the fence because the fence is vinyl and there was nothing for the plants to hold onto. I was looking in Home Depot and saw just plain vinyl lattice and an idea came to me. Why not buy some sheets of that and cut it in strips and mount it to the fence. The only thing was that I did NOT want to be drilling holes all over my new fence. So I bought packages of 14" and 24" long plastic multi-purpose ties. I cut the lattice into 2' wide and some were cut into 1' wide strips and fastened them to the fence using the ties. (See photo.) (The lattice came in 8' X 4' sections.) Instead of using the entire piece of lattice on one fence panel, I was able to get enough to do several panels, so it saved me quite a bit of money. And it looks really nice! Because the particular fence I have does have the 2" clearance behind the lattice, I was able to weave my vines in and out of the lattice from the front to the back. I waited to tie down the bottom of the lattice until after my plants were woven through the lattice which made it so much easier to do.

If you are needing a trellis in the middle of your yard ... buy the correct panel of fencing, set the panel into the ground (using concrete) where you need it, and then attach the lattice to it, and weave your vine. The vine will gradually cover both sides of the fence!

I hope I was clear in describing my 2 suggestions. Try it on your next garden project!

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 9:14 PM

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2820684

Here's how my fence looks from the inside of my backyard.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
2:10 AM

Post #2820721

Here's how I attached the lattice to the fence.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2820726

This is how one of the fence panel trellis look.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #2820794

This is another panel along the same fence. I just used a 2' and a 1' foot wide piece of trellis on this fence panel.

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2820844

Very helpful Becky!
I was going to put lattice along the back fence for the PassionVines, and that is a great way yo attach it. Im going to do that tomorrow probably, because I need to move the PV to the back behind the BF garden.
Yours looks great! What kind of vine is that one?
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #2820943

The first photo where I used 3 lattice strips is a passion/maypop vine (I don't know what the flowers are going to look like.) I was given the seeds from a lady at work and all she told me was that the flowers are purple. Those vines grew that tall from seed that I planted in June! I know the GF Butterfly cats are chewing it up as a host plant.

The last photo using 2 lattice strips is holding up a Mexican Flame Vine. It is the fence panel right next to the other one. I bought that starter vine in a little pot in July. It grows like crazy!! It has happy little orange-yellow flowers on it.

Which makes me really believe that I am going to have WAY TOO MANY vines on my backyard fence in another year or two. I have a different starter vine on almost every fence panel on each side of my back yard fence. I haven't done anything with the back fence. Maybe I shouldn't!?

Is that scary or what????!!!

AND if that isn't bad enough ... I have the dreaded and invasive Trumpet Creeper vine - in a small flower bed just for it - in the very middle of my backyard growing up a short 6' high 4"X4". I know I am going to regret planting that one! But I have seen it in bloom and fell in love with it. Plus I am trying to get hummers and have heard that it is a hummer favorite.

I know, you can say it ... I'm totally crazy! If you never hear from me again ... you know one of the vine tendrils grabbed me, dragged me to the fence, and embalmed me as part of the garden!
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

October 16, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2821094

But what a way to go becky !

I used lattice on the fence after the neighbor put it up so the ugly side (stringers and posts) is towards me. All along the driveway. It 's a beautiful cedar fence but so stark when it first went up. Fortunately it was exactly 8 feet between the posts so I hung it sideways. I put a red passion vine on one and a peachy bougainvillea on the other about 20 feet further down. Finally the passion vine is up to the top and starting to reach out. I even suspected the nursery had stunted it somehow to keep them from intertwining until someone bought it. I partially screwed a deck screw every about 8 inches along that 2 X 4 stringer on the top so it would have something to wrap around as it started to get on up there. It's doing it on both ends! Hopefully it'll keep on a going as far as I keep putting screws for it to wind around...No blooms yet. My other passion vine is purple and really took off in no time. I took this tonight and it's sprinkling.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 11:12 PM

Thumbnail by maidentheshade

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
12:00 PM

Post #2821387

Very pretty shade!
The Frits are going to go for the purple PV, I believe the red is not a host plant, though I would love to have a red one too:o) in an ornamental garden. GFs will lay eggs on red PV, but they will not live. So it is strongly recommended not to put them in BF host area.

I have wood fence too, after I take Ben to school I will pop into HD and grab a few panels. It's supposed to be warmer for the next 2 days, and I need to make hay while the sun shines.

Deb

This message was edited Oct 16, 2006 2:57 PM
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2006
7:26 PM

Post #2822626

you guys are great! good info on the trellising. thanks much.

gram
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2822941

Thx & yw gram..
We are all sort of stealing each others ideas.. lol. I really was going to use lattice for my PVs, we were all on the same channel with that. I moved those huge pots to the back and transplanted them today. Took a while to untangle then vines from inside the tuteurs, (they held up good), and the babies are all still on them.. As I began a familiar shadow came over me, she couldn't wait for me to finish so she could lay her eggs. I would grab another piece of vine to lace, and she was right on top of every part of the whole transition, lol. Gulf Frits are the most friendly of BFs I have had so far.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2823083

I read several folks talking about "lasagna" beds. I didn't know the newspaper/mulch/whatever garden beds were called that! I just learned something new today! lol (I guess I'm a little slow...)

Cindy - I saw some of those beautiful light purple asters at the store yesterday for pretty reasonable, so I picked up 3 pots of them. Two for the front garden and one for the back. I was amazed that when I came home they were still very perky! Usually when I plant something new into the garden they looked pretty withered for about a week or so until they start getting established in their new home. Not these asters, they look great! Thanks for inspiring me to try some plants I wouldn't have thought of! :-)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2823244

Got the seeds today Becky thanks again!

I have a great garlic bread recipe to go with your lasagne~~

D
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #2823518

Hi, everyone--

Sorry, I have been a little behind on the Trade threads and notice this one is especially long so l've created a fresh thread ... There's a new TRADE thread, too, FYI.

But, in any case--here's a link to the new thread, so if everyone makes new posts on the new thread it should speed the loading for everyone---

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/661953/

See you over there-- (and I will catch up and be back on line as usual Thursday a.m. when my guests take off!)

Good luck. t.

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2006
2:35 AM

Post #2823779

Ok ladies, someone needs to "back away from the computer"! I can not get caught up on with these huge posts so I just sort of skimmed. I have no idea what this thread is or was about. LOL!

I did notice that City_Sylvia stopped by tho! I'm glad to see you over here, and glad that you enjoyed the butterflies. I wasn't sure, but just thought maybe someone would be interested in seeing them be released. I'll do it again next year if possible! West Texas Mist Flower...you'll be glad I forced it on you! ;)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #2824768

I am sooooo glad Paige,, lol it is safely planted in the new bed now, with all the other goodies.

This thread is about what we are doing to pull together our Host Gardens for BFs.. The Trade Thread is for seeds and cutting trades of the same. Sorry if there was any confussion. So much to learn about hosting BFs, so much I don't know still.. Whew!

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2006
4:50 PM

Post #2825357

Thanks Debnes, but it was more of a joke than my not really understanding the thread, although I think the topic has changed a few times like every other thread does. I know you'll enjoy the mist flower, but I did really force some on City_Sylvia. lol She commented about it on another thread so I was just reinforcing to her how she'll love it!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

October 17, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2826216

Paige I am going down right now to see if its still alive. :)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2827066

(Cool Paige np :o)
I know how things can get sidetracked, and lost in translations etc., but it is staying f-a-i-r-l-y , sorta on topic. lol)

This message was edited Oct 17, 2006 7:47 PM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2006
2:18 AM

Post #2827234

I had read the other thread, so it made perfect sense to me. LOL! Sylvia got sidetracked with trying to get a move organized. She needs help potting up her plants on the 28th, she is moving on the 1st and has been having leg and hip problems this week. Here is the link if you can help. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/662131/
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

October 18, 2006
5:30 PM

Post #2828750

Deb are you coming and bringing your teenagers? :)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2006
6:09 PM

Post #2828874

LOL Sheila, thanks!

and Sylvia I would love to make it over to help out, I will know more after this weekend.. Suppose i should dmail you with my phone #...:oD
childofgraceus
Dayton, TX

October 19, 2006
12:43 AM

Post #2830010

Hello all,
I have seen the Paw paw talked about some what and I have a good firend whom runs a small nursery and is able to get them. are they for the butterflies or humans and what kind of Paw Paw should I ask her to get? Also I like to get some stuff for the humming birds next spring anyone have any good thoughts what would treat them?
Thank You
Jesse
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

October 19, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2830439

Deb I have been talking to you so much today, I didnt know I put my address on the thread! You had me going ...I dont know where I was... lol
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2006
3:50 AM

Post #2830609

LOL Sylvia,
We had a nice chat today, Hope you are drinking lots of water. Take care of yourself, you'll probably last longer than ya think. LOL

Judy started a new thread and we have been posting in Thread 2 on Butterfly Host plants.. This one has too many post, whew!

I need some experienced BFers to come help me out, actually. Keeping focus there is not as simple as it looks.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2006
5:36 PM

Post #2832162

Deb - What is the great garlic bread recipe to go with my lasagne? Curios minds want to know! :-)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2832443

Let's all continue over here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/661953/

or in Dmail ...

See yas there!
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 30, 2006
3:43 AM

Post #2864054

I've been gardening for butterflies for a couple of years.

Will the exchange be SASE if one is offering seeds but does not need an exchange?

Wish I'd read this thread before as I've just passed on oodles of butterfly and fragrant seeds to a fellow gardener, hoping she would find takers for them!

I may still have some Aristolochia Gibertii seeds, but I'll have to check this. Passiflora...Corky Vine's seeds are frequently ripening. .(Gulf Fritteries) Cassia Alata's seeds are ripeing right now. (Sulphurs)

Just a point about attaching trellis to fences. My neighbour attached a series of trellises to my long fence. With the weight of his mature huge vines and hurricane Wilma's strength my fence did not stand a chance to hold up. The fence on the other side had no vines attached and was not demolished.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2006
12:40 PM

Post #2864591

Hi, bedouin-- Good to hear from you.

Our first trading thread got too long so we moved the discussion on to http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/661953/
Hopefully the trading will be 'ongoing' through the year as seeds are needed.

And yes, there are takers for seed in exchange for stamps, etc. The idea is, as you are thinking, to get the extra seeds out where they might be used for the BFs.

Will you copy and paste your post over there so others will see it? I am sure there will be some interest.

Thanks. t.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2006
12:42 PM

Post #2864595

LOL well, now I see you did that! thanks. t.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America