Photo by Melody

Saving Seeds: where are the seeds in perennial salvias?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 14, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #2779974

no seeds from farinacea, guarinitica, uliginosa. what am i doing wrong?
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2006
4:08 AM

Post #2781043

Different salvia have different seedheads, but as a general rule you should look for a trumpet or vase shaped thing attached to the stem where the flower was. It may be hard or spiny in some species. At the bottom of the "vase" will be several oval or round seeds a bit larger than poppy seeds.

The easy way to get at them is to collect 4" segments of stems bearing the "vase" capsules, and put them in a ziplock. Shake it hard, and you will see lots of seeds collecting in the bottom of the bag.

Don't store them in the plastic-- let them dry out thoroughly and store in paper envelopes.

The same collecting method -- if you can call it that -- works for snapdragons.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
12:01 PM

Post #2781398

well i know how to collect for annual varieties and from what i can tell it's the same for perennials. but when i look there is nothing there. are the seeds falling out before i can get them? if that is true then the seeds are there before the flower head dries up and turns brown?
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2006
12:43 PM

Post #2781499

Yes, the seeds are there before it dries up. I let them mature on the plant as much as possible. Sometimes I have to take apart the seed capsules to get at the seeds properly.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2006
12:52 PM

Post #2781516

I'm having the same problem: no seeds on my lipstick salvia, either of the two blues (that I can find) - and is the procedure the same for hyssop?(Sunset and Coronado) I did find two, yes two, seeds (I think) from an entire dried stalk on my Friesland. Can't even begin to wonder if the Carpet Sage or Russian sage does the same thing! I either need better contacts or I'm not catching the stalks on time (sigh)

~Sunny
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
12:52 PM

Post #2781518

sorry to be ask so many questions but...are the seeds there right after fresh flowers start blooming, shortly after? can you harvest them green? i " SO" do not find seeds on these. lol.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2006
12:58 PM

Post #2781537

LOL Mamajack, you sound as frustrated as I feel! On another thread someone said if our plants are hybrids, they may be sterile, or, if they set seed it might not come true to form. I like every salvia I've seen so far so I don't really care about true to form or not, I just want a seed darn it!

~Sunny
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #2781556

and i can't find salvia seeds locally except for annual varieties. i knew they all made seeds because there was some lady in north carolina with a ton of seeds but i had nothing to trade with. i keep going back to my plants. i can never feel a seed inside the flower. i have shredded them but see nothing. the annual varieties get a little brown and you can FEEL the seeds. i can't find anything inside the perennials. and i don't care if they come true from seeds either. i just want some seeds.
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #2781589

Don't harvest them green. I get seed from both annual and perennial varieties as I described.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2006
1:18 PM

Post #2781595

I'm going to try your method greenjay, about taking the stem and putting it in a ziplock. Mine are usually dry at the bottom but still blooming at the top and if I wait until the top stops, then the bottom ones are always empty it seems. Maybe they will at least re-seed freely! :)

~Sunny
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2782146

just now i shredded a flower on one of the farinaceas. there were what looked like 4 little seeds but all were green. i will keep checking.
mikekilhoffer
Chatham, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2006
4:07 AM

Post #2783879

I love dwarf red salvia... but can never find dwarf seeds, so I collect the seed in the fall and plant them the next year... the seeds on the dwarf red are quite firmly stuck inside the leftover bloom.. I pick them one by one and roll the dead bloom in my fingers over an envelope... I too sometimes have to tear the bloom apart and carefully pluck the lil' seeds from the base. Another method would be just to pinch off the spent flower heads and plant the whole thing next year. My Transylvanian salvia (blue stalks, big flowers) have looser seeds, and I have been mini-mulching with aluminum foil at the base of the plant and building ridges at the edge of the foil to catch the seeds because I can't seem to get to them before they fall, or knock the seeds out when I try. I take a ruler and build the foil around it then stick it under the plants where you cannot really see it. Then brush the stalks whenever you pass until you see enough seeds to make it worthwhile.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8182043

Consider saving toes from nylons and pantyhose, so the flowers can still 'breath'. Drape it over the flower stalk. Twist-tie at the base.

Or you can buy "organza bags", used for favors at weddings, at Wal-Mart or craft stores. It has a very fine mesh fabric ("organza", I guess). The nice thing is that there are drawstrings. I bought some big enough for wine bottles, and now I store dried peppers in them.

Or buy them online:
http://www.giftsintl.com/organzabag.php
I found that shipping was very expensive until I ADDED to my order. At some total price, the cost of shipping dropped by half or so.

Corey
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #8182382

do the seeds fall to the bottom of the pantyhose?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #8183398

I haven't done this myself yet, but that is what I think happens.

One person suggested wrapping a bit of cotton around the stem, and then closing the drawstring or twist-tie around the cotton. That way, you can get a "tight" seal without crushing or pinching the stem.

I have also thought about putting styrofoam or china plates under plants, hoping they catch a few of the scattered seeds.

It turns out that my main problem is not seeds escaping before I can catch them. It is having the whole pod turn squishy, moldy or rotten before the seeds mature!

One surprising success was the time I let some cutflower zinnias stay in the vase until they turned brown and dead. Then I let them dry slowly. Pulling them apart, I found a few mature-looking seeds in some of the blooms. Just a few from each bloom, but that's better than a mass of mold! I'll give them some time to sit, then try a germination test.

Now I am starying to think in terms of no-blow-away plastic row covers or umbrellas to shield the plants from incessant October rain .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America