Propagation: Hardwood cuttings

At this time of year, many of us have hardwood cuttings on our mind, so I figured I'd post a thread to let you know the techniques I'm using this year (my first year trying hardwood cuttings).

Take the cutting from last year's growth. Each cutting is about 6" long and includes at least 5 nodes. If the branches allow, I take mallet cuts, as well as straight cuts.

I wound the basal end (the end pointing toward the ground) by cutting it at an angle with a clean and sharp knife.

Using a clean paintbrush, I lightly "paint" on a little powdered rooting hormone (I use rootone).

I then take a 5" high box and put 1" of sand inside. I lay out the cuttings (all facing the same direction, of course) on the sand, and then cover with another inch of sand. I sprinkle with water to make it just a little damp, and place it in a refrigerator at 40 degrees.

I expect that in about 3 months, I should be able to remove these cuttings and find calluses on the basal end. At that point, I'll "plant" them in rooting medium and expect to see some growth.

Who knows if I'll succeed, but I'm giving it a shot and journaling every bit of it (check my journal if you're curious, they are under the Trees category).

Currently in my fridge are Crepe Myrtle cuttings, lilacs, laurel, and some mystery shrub that we'll find out what it is later.

So, what's everyone else doing? does anybody have a different technique they'd like to share?

Dave

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

I always go by Dirr's recommendations , Dave CAUSE each genus varies in difficulty and timing . I have been using Clonex Rooting Hormone Gel sold by Wormsway in Indiana . Good Luck !!

Lyles, TN

Dave: I pot most of my cuttings several to a pot, one bud sticking out above the surface. Damp sand or STERILE potting soil. Cover pot and all with a clear plastic bag. Then I put them in complete shade on the north side of the house till I see some budbreak, then loosen the bag and gradually give more light. When you've got a couple inches growth, you got roots.

i would like to clone a red maple tree that i have in my yard. i have tried with the "noses", but no luck. what can i do to produce these fine looking trees.

Vista, CA(Zone 11)

Im looking to purchase some powdered rooting hormone,do you have any?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy VincentG...

Root Tone is a powder and is usually sold at garden centers and also at Home Depot and Lowe's. I bet you could find some locally.

And by the way, a nice big hearty WELCOME to DG! Come on it and sit a spell!

Dear sir :
We want to spend five years in developing another green revolution! We will create the miracle! Please read e-mail completely!
"The technique of efficient & rapid non-tube plant clone" was first invented by the professor Li Changxiao, who is praised as "the great master of green-coping" by the media at home and abroad. It is a proprietary technique, and has been used successfully in the rapid propagation of more than 350 kinds of economic plants, showing popular significance to the vegetative propagation of most economic plants. The intangible assets of this technique was evaluated to be worth 1.6 billion Yuan (RMB) by a Beijing authoritative evaluating organization which was authorized by the Ministry of Finance in Oct. Lower cost and high efficiency is the advantage of this technique
TERNPC is high-new technology , which can be used the industrialization of different economic plants in low cost, large scale. Characteristics of the technique in use:
1 Use one leaf or one bud as the unit material (0.3-1cm length) of propagation, Inoculate it directly on the sand bed of the field or in the nutrition bag, ten thousands or even one million plants can be inoculated in one day. As for most plants, an entire regenerated plant with developed roots will be got within 4-11 days. After 15-50 days' training, it can be moved out of the garden for transplanting. Rapid propagation is factually realized.
2 TERNPC Professor Li Changxiao invented is obviously different from conventional seedling-growing ways. Whether in the south or north, different latitude or different soil, or different climate, the propagation can be made to happen all the year round. The technique can be influenced by no season. The work can be done on everyday of the year. The propagation will increase by geometric series.
3 The cost is low. It is without any conditions in the lab. The simple apparatus costs several ten times less as that of tissue culture, several times less than that of conventional ways. It economizes the raw materials. The inoculating speed is 3-5 times faster than that of tissue culture. The inoculating speed is 3-5 times faster than that of tissue culture. So, we can get the conclusion the comprehensively rapid propagation of TERNPC is higher than tissue culture.
4 The cost is low in large scale. With the increasing production scale, the cost will become lower and lower.
If you want to know this technique in detail, Please go to the website www.clonep.com/english!
we can establish a good-fellowship links! Email: xlt@clonep.com
You are always welcome!
Best regards!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welcome to DG, cloneseedling.
Interesting bit of information/advertising but your link is in Chinese or some language un-readable (by me, anyway).

Care to elaborate more here?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You have to remove the exclamation point from the end of the URL he gave.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2004 11:37 PM

yea, gardenwife, you are right ,the website shoud be www.clonep.com/english
I feel sorry that i give you the iconvenience!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

No problem! :) The system here just adds any punctuation to the end of URL's, so it's something that happens sometimes. Thanks for fixing it so quickly.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ahah! that new link worked! Thanks Clone! Will check it out.

Again, welcome. come on in!

one leaf or one bud= millions of plants in half one year?

“The technique of efficient & rapid non-tube plant clone”(TERNPC) was first invented by the professor Li Changxiao, who is praised as "the great master of green-coping" by the media at home and abroad. It is a proprietary technique, and has been used successfully in the rapid propagation of more than 350 kinds of economic plants, showing popular significance to the vegetative propagation of most economic plants.
We can affirm the stability and reliability of this technology through the spread practice within 16 years and more than 30 affiliated companies and cooperative bases in practice. More than 150,000,000 plants have been propagated by TERNPC. The scale in industrialization is larger and larger now. There is the project of more than ten or hundred million plants in the rapid propagation of single variety.
1.Use one leaf or one bud as the unit material of propagation, inoculate it directly on the sand bed of the field or in the nutrition bag, it will grow into a nursery-grown plant, ready for production without any movement. High is the survival rate.
2.As for most plants, an entire regenerated plant with developed roots will be got within 4-11 days. The survival rate is high. Usually one has 3-6 roots, and even 30-40 roots. After the second generation, the regenerated rate will be 80-95% or more. The root-striking needs a short time and the speed of propagation is fast. After sprouting the plant will grow to be an entire one. And after 15-50 days' training, it can be moved out of the garden for transplanting. Rapid propagation is factually realized.
3.After the second generation, most kinds of plant will produce the next generation within 20-60 days. The coefficient of propagation of each generation is as much as 2-15 times. (This has the same merit as that of tube tissue culture), and so on.
If you want to know this technique in detail, Please go to the website: www.clonep.com/english
Email: xlt@clonep.com
I declare that kind of technique is so miraculous, when I found them on internet. We can research them together!
Best regards!

Canberra, Australia

I saw this thread earlier and went searching for some corroboration of this Chinese miracle and the Professor and cannot find any other site, document, reference, write-ups, session records, agricultural or botanical references to either.

Whilst we might all want ot hear of such an amazing dsicovery - (it's a bit like the Nigerian millions looking for a bank account) may I politely suggest that the only thing which may be propogated by clonep.com once they have your email address will be a destination to spam. If in doubt look at the fact this exact same note has been posted to loads of other discussion threads on other web sites.

We should offer the good professor to provide us with proof from a recognised global authority and then perhaps include them in a sensible and interesting discussion.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I wondered about this myself, but want to give folks the benefit of the doubt. However, considering he's never subscribed nor posted anything else at DG since this, it does seem suspicious. If you read about what the website is at http://www.clonep.com/english/ (scroll down a bit), it seems to be a site which users this method may use to advertise their plants for sale. It's just hard to tell.

Their terms of service page is here: http://www.clone-p.com/adminuserEnglish/register_1.asp

Kinda fun. :)

This message was edited Apr 12, 2004 11:39 AM

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

DARNIT! When I tripped over this post in archives, I thought I had just found a goldmine of cloning info that was missing from my knowledge. Hardwoods and other more tree like species are the only plants I haven't learned to clone yet and I just knew this was the info I needed.WRONG! I'll be watching just in case as this sounds like it could develope into what I've been looking for. I'll look at that link now too.
JD

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

;)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

So Dave - how did it go?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images