Forum: Classic ThreadsReplies: 17, Views: 2,514
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

February 1, 2001
2:12 PM

Post #1040

At this time of year, many of us have hardwood cuttings on our mind, so I figured I'd post a thread to let you know the techniques I'm using this year (my first year trying hardwood cuttings).

Take the cutting from last year's growth. Each cutting is about 6" long and includes at least 5 nodes. If the branches allow, I take mallet cuts, as well as straight cuts.

I wound the basal end (the end pointing toward the ground) by cutting it at an angle with a clean and sharp knife.

Using a clean paintbrush, I lightly "paint" on a little powdered rooting hormone (I use rootone).

I then take a 5" high box and put 1" of sand inside. I lay out the cuttings (all facing the same direction, of course) on the sand, and then cover with another inch of sand. I sprinkle with water to make it just a little damp, and place it in a refrigerator at 40 degrees.

I expect that in about 3 months, I should be able to remove these cuttings and find calluses on the basal end. At that point, I'll "plant" them in rooting medium and expect to see some growth.

Who knows if I'll succeed, but I'm giving it a shot and journaling every bit of it (check my journal if you're curious, they are under the Trees category).

Currently in my fridge are Crepe Myrtle cuttings, lilacs, laurel, and some mystery shrub that we'll find out what it is later.

So, what's everyone else doing? does anybody have a different technique they'd like to share?

Dave

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Classic Threads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Question about seed starting Lorie 31 May 18, 2012 1:09 PM
Garden Talk: Your Garden Mistakes Dicentra 235 Aug 11, 2013 3:48 PM
Pests: Best animal repellents smokythecat 74 Jun 17, 2014 7:21 AM
Tomatoes: Need acidic tomato... Horseshoe 48 Jun 3, 2014 7:40 AM
Tomatoes: Tomato Blight! jupiter 16 Jun 27, 2012 7:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America