Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Invasive Plants: Who said jap barberry isn't invasive?

Communities > Forums > Invasive Plants
bookmark
Forum: Invasive PlantsReplies: 7, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2786546

I can't believe this, but yesterday while weeding on the south side of my house, I came upon this little purple thing. I reach down and ouch, it's got thorns. Get a lower grip and a better grip and yank the sucker up. It was a volunteer jap barberry. I don't have jap barberries, but the house a block north of me does. I'm in small town USA, not on a large lot and here I've got a nice gift from a neighbor. So just because you live in suburbia, or a town like me surrounded by corn and beans, it does, and it will, spread.
Equilibrium

October 5, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2787080

Yup, that plant is making its presence known by me too.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #2787879

I'm assuming this a mainly a northern climate shrub? I never hear of it down here in the south.
Equilibrium

October 5, 2006
2:52 PM

Post #2787983

Oh lucky us, it's sort of an everywhere shrub. It'll will probably gain in popularity down your way real soon. Berberis thunbergii, coming to a theater near you real soon!

Matter of fact, looks as if it's on its way down to you right now-
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=BETH
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2788044

Definitely popular in my father's nighborhood which is landscaped with them. Can you believe 3 berberis surrounding a pine tree in a semicircle at the far end of most of the houses. He lives in SC, and that is the common theme along with the overdone presence of a magnolia or crape mrytle as well.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2006
3:13 PM

Post #2788086

escambiaguy, I'm not sure where Atmore is, I'm guessing zone 8b would make it farther down in your state, but what do I know. They had them in Chattanooga TN, zone 7a for sale, at the Lowe's, Home Depot and the like. We didn't live there long enough for me to hear if they had invaded forests, or peoples yards from other peoples yards for that matter. I hope nobody near you plants any of these. Because then you'll not only have that lovely privet you're trying to remove, but you'll have the barberry too.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2006
4:14 PM

Post #2788298

Atmore is about 50 miles north of Pensacola,FL. I live 2 miles from the state line.

The barberry has a tough fight ahead of if it thinks it can overtake the privet! lol
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2006
9:28 PM

Post #2789041

Well how cool. I live an hour from Iowa, does that make us even? :o)

Barberry is nasty nasty stuff. You've got enough with the privet, let's hope no barberry comes your way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America