Boating

San Clemente, CA

Hi! Do any of you have boats? I live in California and we have a boat we usually take it to Catalina Island. Let me know about your self.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes I have a S2 22 ft sailboat, a 17 canoe, an 18 ft canoe, a sailing canoe, a kayak, and a raft for river plunging. What kind of boat do you have.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

Dang Sofer....that's a lot of boats! I have one....it's docked at my tub hehehe but wish I had a canoe. well....the BF has one so I guess that counts (and his isn't the one at the tub :-) ) I'm not sure what type it is but I know he'd use it for fishing.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have learned over the years that the water is a beautiful world of peace, isolation, joy, fear, excitement, and most importantly a connection with our creator.

Nine Mile Falls, WA

We have a 19" Larson and have taken it on much water around Spokane, etc. but never out on the ocean. When I was a child, I did go to Catalina in a 19" boat. That was fun.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

157 Discovery canoe here, love it!

Sofer, tell me more about your "sailing canoe"....they make canoes with sails on them?

Shoe

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I guess I missed your response. I have a Cedar 'Old Town' Canvass canoe that was built in the 30's. It has been restored and covered with fiberglass and it has a Mainsail that is controlled by a main sheet while I sit in a attached chair in the canoe. It has 2 sponsons (center boards that are positioned on both sides of the canoe) to provide force of the sail on the canoe. It is steered by a rudder that I have built on to the stern. They are operated by pedals and cables attached to the canoe. I am currently building a canvas cover to keep the deck covered. I am planning on sailing, paddling, and rowing this craft from Rocky Mountain House, (Near Jasper AB) to my home town in Michigan this next summer. I will be following the 'Voyager Route' that the fur trade used to bring furs back to Montreal. North Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan, Lake Winnipeg, Lake of the Woods, Rainy Lake, Boundary Waters, Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan and down to the Muskegon River. I will then paddle up the river and end at my Home town called Evart, Michigan to end my trip. This will actually be done in several legs of travel. I have already completed the RockyMt house to Edmonton last October. But I have been interrupted by my parents health not being good so last summer was lost.
Also I had an interesting sailing experience last July here on Flathead lake where I had to sail into a storm that provided 3 Tornadoes (Almost never in Montana) where I lost the sailboat in 100mph + winds for over an hour and a half. The wind tore off my hatch cover and exposed my boat to 15' waves and wind that sunk the boat. It was fun but I lost my S2 sailboat in over 200' of lake water. So I guess I now own a submarine. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My goodness! What an adventure on the lake!

Sorry you lost the sailboat but am glad you survived. No wonder you stated above "I have learned over the years that the water is a beautiful world of peace, isolation, joy, fear,".... The fear part must've come into play in those 100 mph winds, for a while anyway, eh?

It sure sounds like quite a journey you have ahead of you. Keep a journal. (Or a book!)

Thanks for the reply. Will be looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming adventure. I'm happy you have such great plans to look forward to. What a great idea, too!

Again, thanks!
Shoe

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi pacificstar~
I live aboard a 40ft Coleman Saling Houseboat (and yes, Saling is spelled correctly). I live on Lake Norman in North Carolina with my feline co-captain, Max. We absolutely love it! It's like being on vacation all the time...
And of course, Max and I have all the fish we want to eat. Our favorite is crappie, breaded with House of Autry...excellent!

star~
you never told us what type of boat you have...
I know this post is 2 yrs old, but maybe you'll see this anyways.
Captain Ang

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey just added to my boat list. I am purchasing a Fisher 25 Noreaster. It will be my live aboard in Alaska where I work in Petersburg. Lots of work to do but I love working on the boat.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.