Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Brugmansias: brugmansia seed wanted

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 11, Views: 191
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2001
10:33 PM

Post #9268

hello everyone!
i discovered what a brugmansia was several months ago. and ofcourse, like you, i fell in love. i live in florida and decided i definitely had to have them in my garden. i had a few wonderful people send me cuttings. i have been unsuccessful with all 4. two were unrooted and i put them in water on top of my fridge, changed water every few days and they rotted...top to bottom. then i tried rooted frosty pink from judith. i put them both in a mixture of miracle grow and perlite. i put one on a covered patio with southern exposure. the other i kept in the house in a windowsill southern expoure. both of these also rotted from the top! i dont think i was overwatering. the rotting from the top baffles me. when i say rot i mean it will start turning mushy from the top and work down towards roots.
i am pretty good with plants. usually get anything to grow. im stumped. so i was thinking that maybe if i start from seed i will have better luck. i know it will take longer to flower but its worth the wait. any suggestions? =)
im afraid at the moment i dont have much to trade. contact me directly to see whats avail. right now. i can also send sase. i will give them a good home! looking forward to hearing from you!
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2001
11:27 PM

Post #100343

Doesn't Miracle Grow potting mix have fertilizer in it? Also cuttings are supposed to be kept in the shade while rooting. All I can think of, maybe someone else can help
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2001
12:57 AM

Post #100395

thanks liz. they were in shade. no direct sun. just bright indirect light. even the cuttings i had in water on my fridge turned mushy from top down.
i used a mixture 50/50 MG and perlite. the MG does have fertilizer in it. i had not thought about that. havent had a problem with my other new seedlings and plants. does anyone else think it could have been the fertilizer in the miracle grow? still open to all suggestions! thanks in advance!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2001
1:44 AM

Post #100441

I do know that they should always be kept on the dry side until rooted, and as we're always hearing how much they love water, it's easy to water them too much at first.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2001
1:46 AM

Post #100444

Removed by member request
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 26, 2001
2:43 AM

Post #100487

i would love to know that top to bottom rotting thing as i have done this with a couple of cuttings.
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2001
3:42 AM

Post #101258

mzmunchkin,
thank you so much for the invite! =) i am near jacksonville. i think greencove is 3/4 hrs? i am unable to confirm at this time. but i will definitely get in touch with you if i am able to go! i started trading on the web in feb.. it has been so much fun. ive met wonderful people. learned so much. been introduced to plants i had no idea about. and my garden has never looked so good! i have not been to a plant swap yet. it sounds like so much fun!
elise
irish
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2001
8:18 PM

Post #101591

Elise Once your cutting starts showing white roots you can then put them in some potting soil and place a sandwich bag over them and that will help make a green house efect and you should have to water them only from the bottom I live near St. pete and I just stick them in the ground and water once a day and have had 75% of them take. I also use a rooting hormone power.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2001
7:30 AM

Post #101816

I really can't understand this. I have found that nearly any brug will root in a clear glass of water (and you can't GET much wetter than that!) and I have never had one rot in a pot of soil---dry up, maybe, but never get mushy and rot. Does anyone know of a disease that could be causing this? I sent Elise two rooted Frosty Pink brugs, one of the toughest ones I've run across, and I've had a few of them growing in standing water----not for months at a time, but for several days, when we were having a rainy season.
Elise, is it warm enough where you are that brugs can stay outside all year long? (I don't know just where in FL. you are.) Is so, let me know and I'll send you one in a pot! Just set it in your window for a couple of days, then move it outside in the sun for a couple more, then plant it in the ground--let's see what happens. If it's NOY warm enough there for them to stay outside, I'll still send it, but let's wait till next sping so you can have a full growing season.
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2001
1:14 AM

Post #102121

judith,
i am on the north east coast of florida. few blocks from the ocean, so even if it freezes in town it usually doesnt at the beach. it is zone 9a but i do have several zone 10 plants that have survived year after year. a wonderful elderly woman i used to know (that has passed) had a huge brugmansia in her back yard. i never knew what it was (until now) but always admired it. i feel pretty confident in leaving them outside here. anyone else out there in my area? your experiences welcome! =)
thanks so much judith for offering to send me a potted one. i would love it. i must say though i have not been trading live plants due to the heat. do you think they would survive it in mid summer? we could wait til fall? and have a big swap? =) let me know!
Elise
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
1:21 PM

Post #102286

Elise
Longer to flower, but worth the wait? Hmm, Elise, are you in Florida? I grow my own seedlings up to flowering size and they do flower within the first year and I live at the Georgia Florida line.
Judith,
Nearly any Brug will root in a clear glass of water? Hmm, well I must confess many will root in a glass of water, but many will rot as well. I have propagated everything from coffee trees to african violets using nothing but the leaves as many of you have. I got started propagating plants from leaves and cuttings when I was around 5 or 6. I used to love it when I would see a broken leaf in grocery store as I would take it home and let it grow. I think the bottom line here is that we all come from a vast and varied background when it comes to hybridizing or propagating and when you have a bunch of gardeners in a room each one has a different method that works best for them. By the way, Brugmansia can not be propagated from leaves as far as I know. Those of you who are trying may be trying due to a post made earlier which I think may have been a mistake by another member. While it is true many plants can be propagated and grow roots from the petiole and or the veins in the leaf itself fairly easy, this does not seem to be the case with Brugmansia. Of course, I have to confess, I have probably killed more Brugmansia than anyone else here so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I think the best experience is always first hand experience and if I was to believe everything I had ever heard about a I would be deadly afraid to grow Brugmansia much less trying to eat them. I don't advocate self medicating with Brugmansia by the way or any other medicinal plant. As we all know, medicine becomes poison when too much is taken or when it interferes with medicine one is already taking. I do think that aurea type hybrids seem to give the most trouble for me, but I do love them the best...Boy do I ramble. Ahh, not to mention aurea type hybrids seem to be a bit more prone to yellow splotches on the leaf if underfed. Hmm, and lets see...my Ecuador pink hybrids seem to love the bugs much more than some of my other hybrids...Seems grasshoppers think that my Ecuador pink hybrids are a bit sweeter. Still, there is much I would love to know about Brugmansia. For instance, how many chromosomes are in sanguinea and versicolor?
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2001
3:43 PM

Post #102348

brugmansia-
im doing a dance! i was under the impression it took two years for them to bloom from seed. dont ask me where i got that from cuz i have no idea! LOL. ok, now i really have to get ahold of some seed! i saw your wishlist post. i must admit i did not respond because i was intimidated! =) i would love to be considered for a small amount of seed (25 or less). i do have a few things from my garden in exchange. please email me if you would like to discuss it further. and thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America