Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Brugmansias: Sending cuttings/rooted Brugmansia

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 9, Views: 272
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 26, 2001
1:28 AM

Post #9278

Here it is folks, a short comprehensive list of things to try and things not to try when sending cuttings or rooted Brugmansia.
Try to wrap the cuttings in moist perlite or moss. Keep the base of the cutting in this mixture or one of the two. Wrap base in the above mixture and then in plastic wrap or a bag-tape to bind together the moss/perlite mixture to the base of the stem. Alternatives include aluminum foil. Do not use paper towels or newpapers unless one is sending Brugmansia within the USA as these tend to promote rot when cuttings are in them too long. Always strip cuttings of the majority of their leaves before shipping, the fewer the better. Soaking cuttings or even rooted Brugmansia in water for 24 hours prior to shipping enhances its chances of survival during a long shipping. Perlite dries out gradually and keeps the cutting moist, but not wet when tightly bound with plastic wrap etc so roots are more apt to form in shipping and the cutting is less likely to root. Never send any cuttings loosely and in an envelope as cuttings tend to get banged up in shipping regardless of the method one uses...best to ship in a box if one is going to ship. Always use filler or tape the cuttings to the side of the box if one is sending cuttings... Or do both...Green cuttings are more susceptible to rot and or damage during transit, especially long transits. Arborea can be shipped as hardwood cuttings or semi hardwood cuttings. Most any hybrid does wonderful as a cutting over long distances if it is a hardwood cutting or semi hardwood. Green cuttings can be rooted of some hybrids, don't send green cuttings unless you send extra and you are confident they will root and the person has enough experience to root green or semigreen cuttings. I must confess, I have rooted some of the greenest Brugmansia cuttings in the world, but I never gamble...or at least I rarely gamble. Please post any questions or alternative known good shipping techniques for Brugmansia here. Best experience I have found is actually recieving Brugmansia as you know when a Brugmansia arrives well that the method that person used was a good method or that person just got lucky. One of the two ayy? Ahh, live and learn. Hope this helps some of you.
Brugmansia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2001
1:43 AM

Post #100439

as I received a box today shipped as you described, I will agree that these were in the best shape of any I've gotten so far. It will help:) thanks!
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2001
1:47 AM

Post #100445

Removed by member request
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 28, 2001
1:21 AM

Post #101727

Tig, Mz, everyone-I must confess I love seeing others excited about brugmansia. Thats why I posted the above tips. If cuttings arrived bruised or in bad shape it might discourage others from trying to grow them. It has been my experience that bruised Brugmansia often begin to rot at the sight of the bruise. So, in other words, brugmansia that are a bit green or at a harder to root stage and bruised, well it makes it almost impossible to mess with. I too must confess to sending out plants or cuttings in a hurry before and even when one is not in a hurry and ships them in the best manner possible accidents can happen. As they say, you don't trully know how things arrive unless you ship them to yourself or you have had plants shipped that way to yourself. Still, some Brugmansia are a bit more tempermental than others during the hot summer months. Ahh, live and learn as they say. I must confess to having killed tons of Brugmansia on accident and on purpose as well. Things happen even with the best of intentions.
elise
Neptune Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2001
5:19 AM

Post #101793

brugmansia,
thank you for the advice. as i mentioned in another post, i had a few cuttings rot from the top. 2 of them were sent in a padded envelope!!!!! (not from judith!) i know they were bruised. that explains them turning mushy from the stem on down. im still a little stumped about the rooted frosty pinks i recieved. they did the same thing. do you think a 50/50 mix of miracle grow and perlite is bad for rooted cttings?
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 28, 2001
11:42 AM

Post #101836

elise, different people use all kinds of stuff, it could be as simple as where the cuttings were made from, newer/older wood, etc. i just rooted a bunch of FP in kinda of cheap potting soil in 1 to 3 gallon pots left under oak trees outside, almost all made it. one rotted from the top and then sent out a new plant from the side. it may not be good to root plants in soil with fertilizer in it but if other plants root for you in this brugs should also. last fall i rooted FP in water until they had roots, then put in pots.
arlene
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 28, 2001
11:04 PM

Post #102048

Karma-love to here your comments. Glad to know they arrived alive even though I didn't drain the perlite properly or double check for holes or put in ziplocks, etc. I know how to send things is the sad part, I just get in over my head with sending cuttings and plants out and then I send everything out as fast as I can which isn't always the best thing. Thank goodness for priority mail though as speed can sometimes make up for my flawed methods. Guess I am one of those people who knows a tiny bit, but I don't always use that tiny bit I know. Thanks again Karma-take care of those Culebra and post some when you can.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2001
9:21 PM

Post #102498

B...thanks for the shipping advise..sure wish i had it sooner as someone recived some goey cuttings from me...now that error can be properly corrected..thanks a mil.
Sandy
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 29, 2001
11:46 PM

Post #102585

Sandy, don't worry. The only sure fire way to send cuttings and not have them get gooey is to send very hardwood type cuttings and beat the mail man so he/she doesn't throw them around. Or, hand deliver them. Like I have said earlier, I have killed more brugs then anyone here. You can't even begin to compete with me. Brugmansia police are after me for sure.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America