Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

October 13, 2006
3:31 AM

Post #2812377

I need some help. I've done mosaic before but I had no idea what I was doing. It was a desperation project in a section of the floor where the ceramic tile would not stay put. The tile floor is on no wonderboard (there was no such thing when it was done) and we were warned not to do it on this house which is on piers and moves. We did it anyway and then the tile started to come undone and crack only in one place right in front of the sink. So I dug those up and used mastic under pieces I broke up with a hammer that I had scrounged from different tile stores. Mostly sample boards. It's been doing just fine for about ten years now. So I solved that problem. NOW I have gotten a wild hair. I want to do a mosaic on the columns in the front of the house that are just so plain jane. I started looking at different mosaics to get an idea of what might look good there then I stumbled across the coolest lizard that wraps around a column. I thought I might attempt such a thing but I'm not sure what would be used underneath him to make him 3D. I'd like to have one that wrapped around part of the pole so I see mainly him from the front then a leg and tail on the sides like he's hanging on. On the other column maybe an insect he's looking at.

Help me please.

Here's the floor.

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
Click the image for an enlarged view.

maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

October 13, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2812401

Here's the 3D lizard on a column I found. I was thinking I could do him on a cedar board the exact width of that colum so I could work on a table and then install it on the column when it's done. Maybe leave a few holes in the grout for screws then fill those in after it's up. I'll show you the columns next post.

maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

October 13, 2006
3:38 AM

Post #2812411

Here's my columns. So how can I make him 3D?

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2006
3:50 AM

Post #2812442

Oh , love lizard and tree frog things .

Check out kimmy's thread

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/649355/

She is a wiz at this stuff ;-))

Take pictures , we all wannaseeeeeeee .

maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

October 13, 2006
3:58 AM

Post #2812461

Oh cool! Yes that is what I need. Thanks scooterbug. Hope she sees this. Her things are great! She said she formed it with grout. I wonder if that is all I'd need. I see this mesh stuff and armatures and such and I also found a link for some two part stuff like an epoxy that would let you mold something while I was digging around. I have no idea if that is even what it was for, It's called Magic sculpt. http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Mosaics/Mosaic_Sculpting.htm but it could be for something totally different. If grout is all I need that would be great. He doesn't need to be that "fat" but raised up enough that you'd think he was real.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2006 11:00 PM
ArbaStar
Snow Hill, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2006
1:26 PM

Post #2831454

Hi!
Well, a little late, but, better than never!!!

Are your columns wood? If so, I would not mosaic onto the wood. I would, however, get my hands on some Wedi and mosaic onto the wedi (you can cut it into shapes!!!) and then use liuqid nails to attach to the columns.

If you want to 2D or 3D it, I'd suggest grout...and I'd use spectralok over the top of the Wedi.

Another idea, is to carve from styrene available from Lowe's or Home Depot. You can apply mesh and grout over that to make proper substrate for your lizard.

Again, if your columns are wood, it wouldn't be a good idea to do it direct onto the wood.

I just covered a styro ball with leftover grout and then mosaiced. I'll show you an ungrouted pic.
If I can answer any more of your questions, I'll be glad to!
Or, you can D-mail me.

Kimmy

Thumbnail by ArbaStar

maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

October 20, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2833188

Oh good! I haven't started yet kimmie. I have a couple other projects I'm working on.
I'll check into the other things you mentioned and see which way to go. They are wood columns. I thought it would be easier to do them in sections on the table on a piece of cedar the same size as each side then screw (or liquid nail) them up as they get done. Much easier than trying to do them upright (and on the front porch where all the world could see me doing it! ) So wood is out. Glad I asked!
Thanks kimmie. I will post pics as it starts happening.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2006
2:12 AM

Post #2939810

Connie, that is beautiful! Does your mind ever rest? I know you lay in bed at night and think of things to do. Do you wake up at night and write them down?
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

November 24, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2939868

Ha ha ! Not really LOL But sure enough sometimes I do lay awake anxious to get on a project or complete one. I've been known to sneak out to the shop after midnight just to look and see if I have something I might need and if it happens to be there...well I might start on it then and there.
Whenever I have a break working I start on a project and then just don't want to stop till it's done. Anxious to start on the next. I'm really thankful to have had some really handy people in my life I learned from on how to do things and either willingly let me pick their brain or I watched and learned. And to have tools and be brave enough to use them.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2939899

I want tools. I want to be brave. :)
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

November 24, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2939930

You can...Just do it. Start small and pick brains.
We have a small hardware store (small compared to Home depot) that hires little old retired men who used to be experts at whatever department they work in. It's wonderful. You pay more there for the parts or items but their knowledge is so helpful compared to the kid who works part time in HD who really has no idea except for where it is or which isle it's on. The old guys really seem to get a kick out of helping and I love visiting with them when I go in there.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2006
3:41 AM

Post #2939946

That sounds like a great store! I'm sure I'd spend wayyyy too much time in it tho. You just can't beat first hand knowledge and experience, which is why I like to ask so many questions here too. I'll read up on things myself but a personal opinion always helps.

My first tool is a small hand tile cutter that is still unopened. I'm going to try and collect what I need slowly, as they go on sale or I get a coupon from Michael's. lol I guess I'll need a pattern and then decide on colors. Yikes, knowing me that could take years. I'm sure I'll ask for opinions.
ginger749

November 25, 2006
5:48 AM

Post #2942385

I`m a newbie here.
maidentheshade, We need people like you
Here in AUS.
I`m looking forward to some progress pics. Like every one else.
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

November 25, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2942729

I'll be anxious to see your project koncreteblond. I have a thing about starting one I've never done something like before. The scare thing kicks in. But I start doing it in my mind and keep looking and thinking of how I'll accomplish it. Go look at where it's going to be half a dozen times and stand there wondering and worrying and thinking of what all could happen to throw a kink in it and devising a workaround. I might worry a week or so while I'm checking out or collecting materials or whatever I need to get started...seeing if I might have it already ...then something like a wild hair attacks me.Next thing I know, I have the saw horses out and I'm rolling out the extension cord ! LOL I'm doing it!

Thanks ginger. Won't be long now...while in Home Depot getting the greenhouse lumber I detoured over to the tile section to sneak a peek at the hardy backer board and assortment of tiles.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2006
1:51 PM

Post #2942754

My first project (I hope) is going to be my birdbath. I want to put some type of mosaic picture in the center of it, much like ones I've seen here.

I love to make things and I'm very good at it when I get going but it's the organizing and starting it part that stresses my brain out.
What I need is written instructions for what and how to do it otherwise all these thoughts are flying around and confusing me. I need a book that will tell me what tools to use and the steps to take! Any suggestions?

Oh I wish I knew how to use tools! Maybe I need to go to some of those weekend workshops at Home Depot and Lowe's. I'm a big "do it myself" person so I'd be building all kinds of things. If I knew how to change the oil in my car I'd probably do that myself too. LOL...my husband is all too willing to pay someone tho.
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

November 25, 2006
2:06 PM

Post #2942777

I've been looking around on google for step by step projects in preparation for this lizard. http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/projects/index.shtml has pics and everything ! I love the internet!

The workshop sounds like a great idea! Someone should have a basic handyperson class.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2942789

Thanks! I'll definitely cruise around on this site!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

October 16, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9307452

[quote="maidentheshade"]I've been looking around on google for step by step projects in preparation for this lizard. http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/projects/index.shtml has pics and everything ! I love the internet!

The workshop sounds like a great idea! Someone should have a basic handyperson class. [/quote]

I like your Rooster! I have come into this very late - so did you do your lizard on the colums! I was going to suggest broken crockery for the 3D effect!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 8, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9328067

oh boy, what great ideas you guys have.. I'm here late too, how did the columns come out?? I don't know what a wedie board is, maybe you could cut out the lizard out of backer board and skew them in after your mosaic the lizard, do it in sections, then grout the seams.

I love it..

A.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 8, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9328477

[quote="Gourd"]oh boy, what great ideas you guys have.. I'm here late too, how did the columns come out?? I don't know what a wedie board is, maybe you could cut out the lizard out of backer board and skew them in after your mosaic the lizard, do it in sections, then grout the seams.

I love it..

A.[/quote]

All ideas are welcome and useful don't you think - no end to possibilities! Di

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America