Roselle, Jamaican Tea, Maple-Leaf Hibiscus, Florida Cranberry, October Hibiscus

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Roselle, Jamaican Tea, Maple-Leaf Hibiscus, Florida Cranberry, October Hibiscus
Hibiscus sabdariffa

Over 10' tall now in October. Getting ready to flower. It is loaded with buds.

Thumbnail by jnana
Beverly Hills, CA

amazing, can it really grow that tall! My first seed just germinated in october, I hope that it will grow as tall as yours! I don't know if it will survive the winter though.

West Palm Beach, FL

Awesome. I had no idea that this plant gets that big.

They get that tall and taller. I had one that reached 12' once and at least 6' wide. They have to be staked especially when they have flowers because they get so top heavy.

This year, I didn't plant any seeds because I don't have the room for them. I'll try next year after I get rid of a whole bunch of plants.

West Palm Beach, FL

I have several seedlings and I am wondering if I should give most of them away!

When did you start them? They flower at this time of year and I've never had luck getting flowers at other times of the year. You may have to wait until next year and then they'll be gigantic.
I would usually start the seeds in February, plant them in April and have flowers by Oct. They would flower until late Nov. and decline from then on.

West Palm Beach, FL

They have flowered already. They are about 12 inches or so tall- can't quite remember when I started them. They are rather scraggly right now since you've mentioned that. Good to know it's not me!

Beverly Hills, CA

mm, if you want to give away some seeds, i want them. i gathered at least 20 or 30 seeds a few years ago, now i finally had the space to plant them, so i buried all the seeds in the soil, only this one came out.

West Palm Beach, FL

You should Dmail me so I can keep that in mind. I haven't played around with this plant that much yet. Will let you know if I collect good seeds.

Beverly Hills, CA

hi, I have a question.

One of my seed germinated just a week ago. Here is a picture.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/217587/

I am thinking about move it to the garden, I am sure that it will grow really tall if this is the spring time. but now it is fall already. will it actually survive and produce seeds at all?

or should I keep it in a bigger pot indoor? will it produce seeds that way? This is my only seed now, it has to survive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.