Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles Pictures: Roselle, Jamaican Tea, Maple-Leaf Hibiscus, Florida Cranberry, October Hibiscus

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 13, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2815495

Roselle, Jamaican Tea, Maple-Leaf Hibiscus, Florida Cranberry, October Hibiscus, Red Sorrell
Hibiscus sabdariffa

Over 10' tall now in October. Getting ready to flower. It is loaded with buds.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2113/

Thumbnail by jnana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

youngman
Beverly Hills, CA

October 5, 2008
10:24 AM

Post #5634978

amazing, can it really grow that tall! My first seed just germinated in october, I hope that it will grow as tall as yours! I don't know if it will survive the winter though.
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

October 5, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5635797

Awesome. I had no idea that this plant gets that big.
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 5, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5636120

They get that tall and taller. I had one that reached 12' once and at least 6' wide. They have to be staked especially when they have flowers because they get so top heavy.

This year, I didn't plant any seeds because I don't have the room for them. I'll try next year after I get rid of a whole bunch of plants.
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

October 5, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5636143

I have several seedlings and I am wondering if I should give most of them away!
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 5, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5636231

When did you start them? They flower at this time of year and I've never had luck getting flowers at other times of the year. You may have to wait until next year and then they'll be gigantic.
I would usually start the seeds in February, plant them in April and have flowers by Oct. They would flower until late Nov. and decline from then on.
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

October 5, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5636250

They have flowered already. They are about 12 inches or so tall- can't quite remember when I started them. They are rather scraggly right now since you've mentioned that. Good to know it's not me!
youngman
Beverly Hills, CA

October 5, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5637054

mm, if you want to give away some seeds, i want them. i gathered at least 20 or 30 seeds a few years ago, now i finally had the space to plant them, so i buried all the seeds in the soil, only this one came out.

fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

October 6, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5637639

You should Dmail me so I can keep that in mind. I haven't played around with this plant that much yet. Will let you know if I collect good seeds.
youngman
Beverly Hills, CA

October 11, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #5657983

hi, I have a question.

One of my seed germinated just a week ago. Here is a picture.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/217587/

I am thinking about move it to the garden, I am sure that it will grow really tall if this is the spring time. but now it is fall already. will it actually survive and produce seeds at all?

or should I keep it in a bigger pot indoor? will it produce seeds that way? This is my only seed now, it has to survive.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 4 Oct 20, 2014 1:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America