Photo by Melody

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get??

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 12, Views: 212
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2006
4:35 AM

Post #2827641

i have your run of the mill geraniums...last year i brought them in my sun room and they bloomed all winter...it was heated; this year i have run out of room in my sunroom so i have moved the geraniium to a location that has 4 to 5 hours of sun; it is not a heated location but since it gets so much sun it warms rather nicely except when no sun and extended cold...how cold can a geranium get b4 it is damaged?? i will put heat down there but i figure they are the hardiest plant i own and i will heat at last resort to keep them...
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

October 18, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2829741

Hi,
Standard geraniums (Pelargonium x hortorum) won't do well once the temps get much below 28F for a few hours. While they take light freezes, below the upper 20's will cause permanent damage. If you can keep them above freezing,they will tolerate prolonged cold if kept on the dry side.
Good luck,
Ernie
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #2829836

cong...thanks for the reply...when you say light on water...in colder temps...is that to prevent freezing?? this is an indoor location ...i am thinking it doesn't get REAL cold...because of the sunny location...but then again i haven't actually documented that...; i haven't checked the temp when there is no sun and low temps...i will be monitoring closely b4 damage to my plants...thanks so much:)
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

October 20, 2006
2:25 AM

Post #2833672

Light on watering is to prevent rot, b/c if pels are really cold and wet, and not in active growth mode, it isn't good for the roots. The idea is to get the plants to "rest" during the winter, then increase watering as they naturally try to grow more as spring approaches and temps warm up. Freezing temps will harm or ultimately kill standard geraniums.
If temps get into the 60s or 70s during the sunny days in your indoor location, the pelies will grow and bloom, night temps could go down to 40's without harm. If much colder, try to keep them 'resting' with infrequent waterings.
Ernie
WayehMalamutes
Spring City, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2006
1:48 AM

Post #2844484

Frost got the tops of my citronella, so I'm going to dig them in the morning, wash the dirt off, and hang them in a cold room for the scent if nothing else Crossing my fingers, as I've never done anything like this. THANKS for the advice.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3179364

Mine are just regular zonal geraniums that i picked up at Lowes...one of my favorite pots in early spring are geraniums, ivy split up around the pot and some kind of foliage plant...in this case the red polka dot plant...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3179370

look at the bi-color of this geranium

Thumbnail by gessiegail

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3179381

Mine are planted inground, mostly shade. They are wonderful in the spring and fall and not too damaged in our mild winters. Summer, well that's an ugly scence. However, they recover and get bigger and bigger. Mine are noids, don't know if they are hardier than usual varieties. All this to say, I'm more concerned about them surviving heat, than surviving cold.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3179396

for us in zone 9, this is true vossner...I put them in pots outside in the sun in spring. Then when the summer hits, I can easily keep them on the front porch with enough sun and breeze to keep them blooming and healthy all summer long. I don't know how to accomplish this by putting them in the ground.
The same goes for Gerber daisies...that's why I put mine in pots where i can control the climate better...I know this is the geranium spot, but look at these 3 colors of 3.50 Gerber daisies which I put in pots for the same reason.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3333850

You guys are everywhere! And totally wonderful. I kept some plain old run of the mill geraniums we bought last summer on the patio in containers. They grew like gangbusters. Couldn't move them anywhere over the winter, so they stayed on the patio, and they LOOKED like they died.

Ask me today what's growing in those pots? Those SAME run of the mill, gangbuster geraniums!...go figure.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3333867

They may have died...when it gets real cold (a freeze) we always cover them up and get them out of the north wind...I have rooted cuttings ready from the ones I had last winter...geraniums of any kind can not take freezing weather...sorry...
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3335142

hey gg...hows it going? i am glad your geraniums made it...the answer to my question when i started this thread i now have...i pulled all my geraniums in an unheated building and it got down to 25 degrees in there and they made it and are doing great now...glad yours are too
!!!

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #3335460

my run of the mill ones that I brought in got really tall. I am going to take cuttings. That's what I do to keep over ones that got truly huge and I can't bring in due to space considerations. And I think I'm going to try to train one to a standard. I made cuttings of one with variegated leaves called 'Happy Thoughts'. They have been growing in my dining room all winter. I can't wait to get it back outside cause now I have 4 of them as opposed to the 1 I brought in last fall.
Martha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Trying to find a source for Geranium 'Pink Penny' bobschatan 4 May 21, 2007 8:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America