Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Homesteading: homesteader,looking for homestead buddy.

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 17, Views: 627
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poverty
Goldendale, WA

October 18, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2829865

i have homesteaded most of my life.at present i live on 5 acres in southeast washington state.but am hoping to move in spring to norheast washington.i want 20 acres,i raise meat goats,rabbits,want to start a market garden.i am 62 years young,i have a sick husband,and was hoping i would find a woman in 50-on maybe just wanting to go back to homestead life,it would be the old fashioned way,starting from nothing,hard work but rewarding.anyone interested,can e-mail me at barbie@gorge.netand we can talk.
Janis914
Cinebar, WA

March 16, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #3288327

Barbie:

I tried to e-mail you at barbie@gorge.netland but it wouldn't go through. I was just going to chat, thinking we had common interests. I'm a single mom. I live in Lewis County (Washington) and am very familiar with Goldendale (I grew up in The Dalles). I, in fact, was trying to buy a place up there before I found this place. I still wish it had worked out as I became quite attached to that area.

Anyway, if you get this message, please e-mail me at goat21@tds.net, if you like.

Janis

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2007
4:11 PM

Post #3288623

Poverty, I want almost the same thing, but in the SW Virginia mountains. No husband here, just a younger sister and 19 acres.
Garden4Birds
Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3344204

I would love to have a homesteading buddy but I have a husband that isn't into the lifestyle so right now it's only a dream...

But if you would like a penpal I would love to talk with you.
Lisa
JerryT
Enumclaw, WA

June 17, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3623531

Poverty - How about an update.
poverty
Goldendale, WA

July 3, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #3688547

thank you for your answers,i will update you on what i have been doing.its july 3,i had to get rid of my goats,feed to high.but made up my mind to plow up the pasture,put in a market garden,maybe try to find a commerical kitchen,make jams jelly ect.times are getting harder to make money at all.i guess if you cant do what you want to ,bloom where you are planted.i have put in quite a few heirloom tomatoes.i want to put up a greenhouse before winter.will see how it goes.if anyone has any ideas,how to make xra money on small farms ,tell me about it.well,got to go. poverty
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #3689542

Poverty, Regarding your statement about blooming where you are planted...my husband was able to take 6 weeks off work and we have been pretty bummed out this past few days about him having to go back to work. (We have to travel alot for him to be able to work) Last night I told him that instead of being sad, we need to be grateful for the time he was able to be home.

We are in our 50's and bought 15 acres 5 years ago with the intention of making a life here. We are going to raise a few goats and rabbits for sale, and maybe some chickens/eggs. I do arts and crafts and paint pictures and wood furniture. My husband wants to build country-style furniture. Four years ago, I planted 144 Hostas and 750 lilies and 100 gladiolias, with the intention of selling those. The hostas didn't survive 3 years of neglect by not being here and the lilies have disappeared. Moles/voles? I am now trying to root cuttings off my flowering bushes and trees to sell next year as bareroot plants. Although not an expert, my vegetable gardening skills are pretty good, so hope to be able to sell some of them. My point is, I don't feel any one thing will generate enough income, but a mix of all might.

Good luck to you in finding your answer!

Robin
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3752317

how about keeping rabbits and sell some of the meat id raise one of the smaller type rabbit sells about 5 bucks a pound in the stores just a idea paul
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3753774

I need to find a source for more rabbits, after building new rabbit hutches. I personally have no desire to eat rabbit. But even out here in the middle of farm land, when I raised a few rabbits before, I could easily sell them by putting a sign up down on the county highway in front of us.

prettypeony
Birmingham, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #3812701

Robin: Did the glads make it and did you sell any?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3813978

Glads made it...absolutely beautiful! Need to figure out how to stake them next year, as they got 4' tall and fell over. Didn't even try to sell any this year. We've about got everything built, set up or put together to really start growing and producing for next year. Hooray!

Robin
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3814088

be carefull with that tractor dont use a spade or disk harrow till you know how to use the tractor well paul
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3814211

Phicks, Oh, ye of little faith! I am woman, I am strong? Well, maybe!

I just bought a big garden tractor today (Yippee!). Should be delivered Sunday. And DH thought it was for him...yeah, right! I'll be nice and let him use it the first time. Honestly, though, he just doesn't have the time to mow everything that needs to be mowed. We didn't buy any attachments, yet, so tilling will have to wait. I'll be relieved to just get the mowing done. Barefeet and knee high grass/weeds don't go well together! Too much of a chance for a close encounter with a snake or mouse.

Robin
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3814642

Mouse Or Moose?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3814827

Some of my weeds on the outskirts of the yard (darned goats aren't earning their keep) are pushing 5' - 6' tall, so I guess it could be either...oh,my! LOL
TammyE
Santa Maria, CA

February 12, 2008
8:03 AM

Post #4527334

Does anyone know much about Salem MO and the surrounding area? Thinking about moving there but want more gardening info and anything else that may be helpful.
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #4529907

Tammye try this group their are several members over that way its about 80 to 100 miles north east of ushttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ozark-homestead/
Namie
Roanoke, VA

March 10, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4648005

Tammy - we have acres near Salem MO. It is a nice area - lots of small farming, a college in Rolla, a great area.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America