Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Woodworking: Wood Sources

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 3, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 19, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2831095

Hi everybody. Relatively new here. Another wood working grandma.

I guess I have a question first - are we able to mention specific company names on this site or is that a no-no? I couldn't find any written rules about that.

I'm interested in finding out what your sources are for wood (if we are able to mention names) for craft-type woodworking. Do you buy from big box stores, specialty woodworking companies, local lumber companies? Shipping can certainly get expensive if you have to order wood and have it shipped to you.

I am very fortunate in that my brother built his own portable saw mill and he supplies me with all I can use of oak (red & white), walnut, basswood, ash, hickory, maple (including spalted maple). I have a planer so can make boards to my own specifications. However, things like redheart, cocobolo, yellowheart, cedar, etc. I have to order. I do mostly intarsia and some fretwork, so a little wood goes a long way.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I'm located in Wisconsin if that helps any.
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2832515

There are several local places in my metro area that carry exotics per linear foot, I've never ordered from mail order sources.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2833606

People mention stores and brand names all the time. I would think mail order would be a good way to get some of your exotic hardwoods. I know luthiers (stringed musical instrument makers) who do it all the time. It's the only way to get some woods if you live in the boonies. I wouldn't be surprised if you could trade some of your brother's walnut and spalted maple with somebody somewhere...
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2006
11:15 AM

Post #2834218

This site might interest you.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=wood

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America