Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles How-to's: generalized search in the plant files question

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 2, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2833353

Donít know where to post this if there is another place to go please let me know.
Iím having problems with the plant files, I always use the generalized search because I canít think of the Ďrealí names of the plants or Iím just searching to ID a plant, yesterday I tried to put fern in and it only came up with strawberry Ďferní. I have put fern in several times and get all kinds of ferns and now I canít. The same happens when I put vine in it comes up with apple Ďvineí, for a simple minded person like me things were going great in the plant files, now I have to know what Iím looking for to begin with, has this been changed lately, or is it just me? Am I just having one of my Ďmomentsí lol I just put in morning glory and it came up with :
Tropical Hibiscus 'Morning Glory'
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
And
Echinopsis Hybrid 'Morning Glory'
Echinopsis

I just posted this in the Dave's Garden Discussion Forum, don't get around much other than the seed and plant trading forums lol

This message was edited Oct 19, 2006 8:59 PM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2006
6:23 PM

Post #2838093

It's a glitch with the generalized search.

But the good news is, you can use the field-by-field search to look up a plant by its common name.

Here's what you get when you use it to search for Morning Glory (notice that's the only field I added anything to): http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=Morning+Glory&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2006
12:07 AM

Post #2838789

Yes Terry, after your other responce before you changed the threads too lol I went in and had no problem at all, thanks so much, how do you get around so much, I'm sure glad you do :-)
Lea

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America