Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone had any dealings with this bulb?

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

has anyone grown this bulb?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cynthia--are you talking about this?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/447/index.html

If so, no I don't grow it. Try dmailing some of the people who have pictures posted. I'm sure one will answer whatever questions you have about the plant.
Debbie

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

thanks that was the plant I was talking about. I guess I was too dumb to think about people having posted in plant files. I don't know whether I was having a blonde moment ( I wish ) or a senior moment( more likely). Found the imformation I needed there.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I just saw this thread, I do grow this bulb...if you didn't find what you needed, I will be glad to try and help.
Janet

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Janet do you grow it indoors or container outdoors or in the ground? That was my concern as to the hardiness of the bulb. Zones on this bulb are conflicting.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

River, I bought this bulb late last fall and it bloomed for me in March. Flower was a little stunted. Mine is planted inground, with about 6 hrs of sunshine. I bet you can do the same.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am going to try it this year. I think it will work here too. Thanks

Yes. I have these bulbs. I bought them on eBay from someone for a song as they did not know what they were.
Mine do not bloom every year, but they do bloom late when they choose to bloom.

GGG

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a 2nd one blooming today and it is nice and straight and lovely.

Richmond Hill, GA

I bought a few of these bulbs from a local nursery. I planted them about 14 days ago. I noticed 3 days ago what I thought was a leaf stem coming up from the ground. Tonight when I was inspecting the daylily bed after I work I was amazed to see that it's already blooming. Wow! That was fast. Needless to say I heading back there this weekend to buy up the rest of the bulbs.
Arlene

Cindy--I do have them now. They made it thru a very wet winter great. Seem to like the same care as rain lilies; and are blooming at multiple times (early spring and again now). They seem to also respond to rain and are great seeders and offsetters too.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Wow They really are beautiful.

Yep--they are very hardy and are very good seed producers too (which makes me quite happy).

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I recently planted four in a big pot for summer. I saw one last summer in bloom (Boojum's house?) and was totally taken with it. I will post pictures when it blooms. I love one of it's common names, The Jacobean Lily. Patti

Here is the write up from Brent and Becky
I just noticed that they are having their summer bulbsale now at 25% off
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/summer/productview/?source=daves&sku=95-01

Quoting:
formosissima - This native to Mexico, sometimes offered as Amaryllis formosissima, is reminiscent of a large (5") red, velvet orchid atop a 12"-18" stem. The petals of the flower are in 2 groups - the upper 3 stand up, curving back at the tips, while the lower 3 are pendent, rolling up like a tube at the base, encircling the stamens. This pest resistant bulb sports similar foliage to that of its family member, the daffodil and makes a great hot-colored container plant with many other summer bloomers. Full sun and well-drained soil are recommended. 16 cm bulbs; 4-5 per sq. ft.; zones 8-10.

This message was edited May 19, 2007 7:52 AM

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I got this very Amaryllis as a Christmas gift and it bloomed like crazy. Mine had several blooms. Such a pretty plant. I plan to put mine in the garden outside with my other Amaryllis'.
I had never seen this particular Amaryllis until I received it as a gift from my best friend.

Still blooming and setting seeds here--don't behave like regular amaryllis for me. Behave more like rain lilies or crinums--definitely responds to rain, likes rich soil to bury themselves deep.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Deb it's beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.