Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

New River in the Fall

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever been here? This is in the New River Gorge. Sandstone Falls...

Thumbnail by music2keep
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No I haven't but it looks a lot like the Tequominon(sp) Falls in Upper Penninsula Michigan.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I have never been there...but have always wanted to go. I love it up around the Great Lakes region.

This is a goreous place to "lose" yourself in.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

looks like the river is having some rain to keep it running. Nice photo. Looks like a good ride down with a canoe.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can do that here. There is a dam 7 miles above the falls & below the falls there are many white water rafting companies. People do a lot of fishing here in the falls. Today is "Bridge Day" ~ a lot of folks sky dive & bungie off the New River Gorge Bridge.It's actually leagal on this day.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I rafted the New River Gorge maybe 4 years ago with one of the commercial outfits there. It was a good ride when they had the dam opened up. Lots of people playing in kayaks at the base of the rapids.

Bill

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Some people even use jet-ski's to ride the rapids. I don't think I would have the nerve.

If the dam is open & the River is really up, they say it is a much better ride. :-)

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

music,is this the same bridge that some guy jumped off of and his parachute did not open? this just happend this last weekend i think...

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Kazooie, The New River Gorge Bridge is on the same River as this. ( The New River starts in NC & goes to the Ohio. Actually it turns into the Kanawha River in Charleston,WV. ) Yes, the guy that died was a retired policeman from CA. And what I found strange was that he had jumped from this bridge many times before. DH says that either he didn't pack his parrachute(sp) properly or (& I hate saying this) he was wanting to commit suicide. But that's just speculation by DH. He tends to be pretty cynical at times. And it happened this past Saturday.

Joey

Crossville, TN

I was born over in Raliegh County....and one of the best times we had was taking all the family for a picnic over at Sandstone Falls...that was before the govt. made it into a park...and designated New River as "A National River". Jo

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hey Jo! We Love Sandstone. The park service has made many improvements since we have been going there. It's an ideal place to spend an afternoon. A lot of folks fish, but I like to go exploring.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Republic, PA(Zone 6a)

music'Ican just hear the rushing water and feel the spray==nice shots

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.