-
AuthorContent
plumeriagrower
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2838219

Any ideas on what may be causing the leaves to curl on all of my plumeria plants? I fed them the food I normally use (GreenLight Super Bloom), but then the next day everything looked like it was dying. My daughter and I pulled all the leaves off and now everything that is coming out is curly like in the picture. Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Thumbnail by plumeriagrower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2006
1:53 AM

Post #2839008

Plumeriagrower, fertilizing is usually stopped at the beginning of fall as plumerias in most areas prepare to go dormant this time of year. That could be the result of too much fertilizer at the wrong time of year. Is this plant in the ground or in a pot? What zone are you in? How cold is it getting at night where you are? Why were the other leaves removed? The curl could also be the result of sucking insects like aphids, spider mites, or whiteflies, but I think it is probably the super bloom fertilizer, which is usually used in the spring.
plumeriagrower
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2840319

We are in zone 10, I think,we are in Clearwater Fl. All plants were in the ground, we know it was not spider mites etc.All the leaves were curly and Thank you for your advice.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2840495

Hi plumeria grower, I went and looked up your zip code and plugged it in here: http://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/ It says your in Zones 9-10. And then I went to Yahoo to see where you are here: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=&csz=clearwater, FL&country=us&new=1&name=&qty= And according to this map: http://images.meredith.com/bhg/pdf/gardening/hardiness/florida.pdf you in in Zone 9b, which means it is too cold for your plumies to be in the ground where you are. I don't think you've had any temps below 40 yet, and I do think that the leaf curl is from overfertilization. The ground looks super dry around the plumies, and it doesn't look like it has been amended at all. It is possible that it is not an ideal growing medium. I would dig them up, keeping as much of the rootball as possible, and pot them in a good well-draining potting mix in a black plastic container which is not much bigger than the current root ball, and I would keep them very warm throughout the winter. If you have a heat pad or a greenhouse, that would be ideal.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2840728

Plumeria grower you live in CLearwater ? We live in Dunedin so were touching close. I don't have a lot of Plumerias but have had the same plants from same cuttings for 9 years . Plus some new ones each year. Ours have always grown in the ground year round and never a problem. Today I gave my neighbor a 3 foot , 3 tip piece of our red one. She was going crazy she always wanted a red one. Right now our plants are full of new fresh healthy leaves with lots of buds ready to open ! Now the past two weeks still has been low 70's high 89-90's hot and humid A/C non-stop. Sometimes it's like this year round and our Plumerias bloom at Christmas. Now we are hoping for a little cooler weather this week. but still warm. In the past years if we ever got a frost which Clearwater/Dunedin does not have often we covered and never lost a plant.
Wish I could help you with your curly leaves. Might be bloom booster.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2840839

Plumeria grower we don't live far from Country Side Mal. Hope your plant gets better. If you ever get our way I can give you a small plant of cutting :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 23, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2841736

It is so funny that we have so many new people from Clearwater, FL! It is possible that you guys are not a true 9b as the USDA hardiness map says you are. If you are close to the water and have the warm microclimate coming off of the water, then you are probably warmer than those who are more inland from you. You could actually be a whole zone warmer because of the water. A cold front is approaching Florida now so you guys will have to check your nighttime temps.
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 23, 2006
6:02 AM

Post #2842024

Define Cold?
:)
I just seen that on tv Clare looks like we will be at 78-79 degrees time to break out the sweaters..
:=/
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 23, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2842546

Yes the cold front means it won't be in the 90's a few days :))
I still have my A/C running :)) Low for two mornings will be about 50 but this could be for 15 minutes of the 24 hour day and the rest will be high sunny high 70's :)) The next seven days the cold front will give us a break from the 90's low's around 68 and high in the 80's. My Plumeira has lots of buds ! Looking forward to more flowers soon. It's rare to see a frost here and if it happens once or twice a year it's for very short period of time we cover our plants at night .
ttowers223
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 25, 2006
9:46 PM

Post #2850008

I too live in Clearwater, FL. I think this is pretty neat to find other people so close by that share our "passion" for plumerias. We should have a party! I just got an Australian Fruit salad plumeria in the mail today, so I'm excited to get it in a pot for the winter - if you can call it that here.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 25, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2850015

Congrats on getting such a neat plumie, Ttowers! We'll all want to see those flowers next spring or summer. You guys should definitely get together and tour each others yards when you get blooms. If you guys are interested, you should also join Florida Plumeria Society Group at Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FloridaPlumeriaSociety/ so that you can meet other Florida growers, if you wish, and learn about the issues related to your particular growing area.
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2006
10:27 PM

Post #2873141

That looks like the beginnings of rust mites---a real problem here in Florida which many people do not recognize. Usually doesn't kill the plants but makes many leaves warped, stunted, and misshapen. Always starts here in the orlando area in mid-summer-for me, anyway---and I end up spraying miticide a few times to knock it out. Talstar is pretty good--a synthetic pyrethrin and safe to use near food plants. There are other miticides out there and most of the newer ones are very safe and very specific. Rust mites, if left uncontrolled, can run rampant and make your plumies really ugly. They usually only affect a few flowers, but if the inflo starts to form after the initial infestation, you could lose the entire inflo as sap is sucked from it and disease enters via the many, tiny wounds.

Good luck to you!
Brad
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 2, 2006
7:31 AM

Post #2874367

Stress...
Did i say stress??
You cut off all the leaves and the only one growing is showing leaf curl..
Stress...
You are causing the plumie to kick in it's defense with no leafs..
Whats does this mean?
Either it's winter or the plumie is under attack..
The shock and stress is causing this...
She will adapt with proper lighting and warmth..
:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America