Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Shed: Brugmansia

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 5, Views: 223
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ladycamillegc
San Diego, CA

October 22, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2840334

Hello, does anyone know of a natural way to get rid of the worms on a brugmansia? I am located in San Diego California.
Thanks,
Camille
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2006
3:42 AM

Post #2847961

Pick them off?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2006
7:25 PM

Post #2856366

Not sure what you mean by "natural". BT is organic.
smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 20, 2006
5:17 PM

Post #3014135

I have had a worm on my brugs that comes out only at night (during their summer outside), but would eat big pieces of the leaves. I couldn't find the worm, since it apparently was hiding in the soil or debris during the day. I put a cottage cheese lid loosely on the soil, and the worm hid under the lid during the day. I found the worm curled up under the lid, and disposed of it. A bit icky, but a very natural solution for me, although I don't know if you have the same kind of worms.

Susan in Minneapolis

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3095652

If your worms are hiding in the soil, get some Systemic Granules and sprinkle them on the top of the soil and water it in. It will kill everything in the soil, plus the plant will absorb it in it's "System" amd any sucking insects on the plant will die from the "juices".

You couls also spry the soil with an insecticide and see if that works quicker.

Neither of these would be "natural". They would be Chemical.

Here is a link to a site for natural Insect control. Hope you get some ideas from this.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html

Gita
shannon71
San Diego, CA

January 18, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3095712

I live in San Diego as well...great place for gardening. My brugs have no worms...I tried an alternate approach of growing a few cabbages around them to keep them interested in those instead. Then, my bearded dragon gets to enjoy the lucious, pesticide free worms/larvae/etc.

I am also told by some gardening friends that the combination of milk ( mixed with H2O as well as straight), coffe grounds, vermiculture, and the above-mentioned deterent seem to be the key for my not having too many worms or pests.

There are also some "good bugs/flies" you can get to help keep your garden safe.

If worse comes to worse, I can bring over my 3 garden guardians---chameleon, bearded dragon, and water dragon. They'll do the trick!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America