-
AuthorContent
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2843388

Back in April I ordered some adenium somalense seeds on ebay. I only had one sprout because the seeds got a little to cold. This is my one little seedling that sprouted. I noticed it started growing really fast. By the middle of this summer I realized this was no a. somalense. My seedling is an adenium arabicum, whew hew. I know this because I have a really large arabicum already. The leaves on arabicums have a soft fuss on the top and bottom of the leaves. The leaf shape is different as well. Needless to say, I'm thrilled this turned out to be arabicum as they are a more expensive adenium to buy. My seedling is planted in an 8 inch planter and the base of the plant is already 3 1/2 inches wide. I've been repotting very regular to keep it growing fast. For reference I'll also go take a picture of 3 different leaves. Here is my seedling.

Thumbnail by GSkinner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2006
7:15 PM

Post #2843426

Here are three leaves to compare.

Thumbnail by GSkinner

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #2844832

Well, aren't you the expert! HEHEHEHE Good for you!! Congratulations on growing one fantastic looking seedling (which it no longer is!! :>)).

Marilyn
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2845250

Ha Ha Ha, I do sound like I think I'm an expert. Well, I'm Nooooooo expert. You just pointed me in the right direction for some GREAT educational reading on these wonderful plants. Thanks Marilyn, I hope your doing great these days.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2846911

You're an expert if you can grow these plants that well. I'm glad the material was of benefit to you. I firmly believe Mark Dimmitt's cultivation information makes all the difference.

I'm doing just fine. How are you and the family doing? Get your kiln all back up and running and all the trees out of the yard? Bet you have enough firewood for YEARS!
kdkral
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2006
2:17 AM

Post #2847434

Thanks for showing the leaf comparison
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2006
1:39 PM

Post #2848536

Yeah, I just wanted to show new people that their is a big difference in leaves.

Everything is working great. We have a big show coming up in 3 weeks. To bad we don't have a fireplace because we would have been really warm with all that wood. All the trees are moved but we still have gigantic stumps everywhere. We're moving in the spring so we're just going sell the house as is.

I just brought all my adeniums and caudiciforms in the house. It's been getting a little cool at night here and raining ALOT so I didn't want to take any chances. We have an exchange student, when she came home from school she loooved all the plants in the house. She said it's very cheerful. I think so to.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2848856

Glad to hear you're doing well. Good luck on your show. Do you know to what area you're moving yet?

Good idea to bring in those plants. It only takes a little cold along with the wet to croak them. The adeniums will probably bloom off and on all winter, which will make the house look great.
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2006
9:33 AM

Post #2851560

Hi GSkinner,

I am impressed by your expertise on growing Adeniums! 3,5 inches caudex diameter in what 6-7 months? I am happy if I can manage 1,5 inches in that timespan here up north in Scandinavia.

Good growing,

- Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK

GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2006
1:25 PM

Post #2851991

Marilyn,
I have no idea where we are going. My DH was looking at jobs in New Zealand yesterday. I really don't think he'll leave the southern US though. We just know we're leaving here. I imagine we'll end up in southeast Louisiana. As long as I'm somewhere that I can grow lots of tropicals I'll be happy.

Martin,
Your seedling look great. I'm very lucky to have such a nice long growing season. It's so hot here in the middle of the summer I was watering my adeniums every day. That seedling was an exception. It really outgrew all the others I started. Also, I repotted them often. Everytime I saw the first little roots growing out of the bottom of the pot I repotted. I noticed some of my older plants started putting on alot more size after I started doing this. So, does Denmark need any American Art teachers? Maybe we'll move there. 8-)

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2006
2:51 PM

Post #2852329

GSkinner, that explains a lot. ;-) We have short growing season here in Denmark making it difficult to grow succulent plants - especially some species belonging to the Apocynaceae family. However, with the proper indoor lighting you could do well.

It's not particulary cold in the winter - night temperatures seldom lower than 15 F - but the winter is too long. In the summer the temperature rises to about 85 F - seldom 90 F or more.

So, why on earth would you move here?? ;-)

Best regards,

Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2854077

New Zealand? Wow! That's a LOOONGGG ways away from home. But if I had MY druthers I'd move to Cordoba, Argentina, so I guess I should keep my mouth shut! LOL Let us all know when you decide. I'd suggest southern California if it weren't so darned expensive here. There's an area just north of San Diego (where thistlesifter lives) that you can grow just about anything that doesn't need a cold spell.

Marilyn
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2006
2:11 PM

Post #2855423

Yeah, you are right. I don't think I could live in Denmark. I'm not very fond of winter. We have a friend from Helsingor and she makes Denmark sound wonderful. We hope to go visit her sometime in the next few years. Their is a woman on the travel channel here in the USA that goes all over Europe and she says Denmark is her favorite place. I've been to several countries in Europe and so far I love Belgium. Maybe if I get to Denmark it will be my favorite.

Lol, yep New Zealand. Sometimes I laugh at him and think never in a million years BUT he did buy a one way ticket to Spain before we met and lived there for almost a year. He didn't even speak the language when he left. So I never know about him. We have some friends that looooved San Diego but I agree, much to expensive (from what I here). California weather was wonderful for my hair, lol. I didn't even need a blow dryer when I was out there. ha ha ha. The air is so different out there compared to here.
I'll keep you posted on where we go. Of course I won't leave DG where ever we end up. 8-)
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2006
5:43 PM

Post #2856083

I was just looking at Ebay and I wanted to add something here about the leaf comparison up top.
Their have been several times that I've seen plants selling as somalense or arabicums and the leaves still look like an obesum. It's a good idea when you're thinking about buying an adenium be sure to look at the leaves, they can tell you alot. I hope this helps some new people.
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2006
5:49 PM

Post #2856105

GSkinner, I guess the majority of Adeniums for sale are some sort of hybrids - no "true" Adeniums.

Best regards,

Martin
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2856716

I guess I'm just picky, 8-)
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #4219876

I have an arabicum and it is massive . It grows much faster than the others. You are right about the fuzzy leaves. I love it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM
adenium seeds and seedlings up to 3" gessiegail 6 Apr 25, 2007 10:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America