Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: Eeek... mice!

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 10, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dreamingofeden
Woodridge, IL

October 27, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2854133

Okay, my son arrived home for work one night, only to see a little guy sneak through a previously undetected small hole in my home's cedar plank siding. What's a squeamish girl to do? No evidence of the little buggers in the home's interior yet, but I am occasionally hearing their notorious pitter patter. :(

I don't know what to use and how to avoid dead rodents in my walls. Any advice?

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2006
3:35 PM

Post #2855685

Whatever you do, don't use poison, that's what gets you the dead mice in the walls. Unfortunately, that's about the only way you can get rid of them without having to see them...any sort of trap you buy you're going to have to dispose of the mice that are caught (I prefer live traps since I don't like hurting animals...but if you want them dead snap traps are supposedly less cruel than glue traps since they kill them right away). Someone on another thread mentioned that peppermint oil repels them, so you could try that to keep them from coming in.
dreamingofeden
Woodridge, IL

October 28, 2006
4:21 AM

Post #2857886

Thanks, Ecrane. Guess I'll have to recruit a friend who owes me a favor to help me out with this one. All replies/suggestions are appreciated. :)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2006
3:41 PM

Post #2858772

You could also pay for an exterminator--just make sure that they're not going to use poison. I think you can pay them to set up the traps and then come back and empty them. They can also check around the outside of your house and seal up holes that critters can get in through (mice can get in through any hole that's the size of a quarter or larger) Or if your house is on a slab foundation like mine, it's not too hard to go around the outside yourself and look for holes where they could be getting in and seal them up.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2006
7:28 PM

Post #2859425

Mice can get through gaps 1/4" or larger! The little knuckleheads' ribs can fold so they're almost flat! This is a good site about excluding mice

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7483.html
dreamingofeden
Woodridge, IL

October 31, 2006
3:35 AM

Post #2867499

Thanks for the link, claypa. I am now rodent-enlightened!
13levine
Waconia, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 5, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5205747

A ball bearing mouse trap is very good for getting rid of mice. However, you can't feed him too much or he will be a lousy mouser.
luannewolf
Fayetteville, AR

February 21, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6167125

I bait my mouse traps with a raisin dipped in peanut butter. The mice smell the peanut butter, but have to tug at the raisin, thus setting off the trap. I've tried just peanut butter, but they just eat it all and leave the trap unsprung!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #6209672

A client of mine..plagued with mice .. feeding on nuts and seeds with the birds in 4 large cages.. wanted a non poison removal.. after sealing up holes.we set out saucers and little containers of ammonia.. Guess it smells just like a really big cat.. whose box smells just like ammonia.. A cat box so mmonia so strong... this must be the residence of a really big hungry cat.. stay away.. it seemed to help alot... no poison.. no traps.. and no dead mice.. just ones driven away.. don't guess it convinced every mouse.. but it was quie effective.. Gordon
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
6:39 AM

Post #6209692

My family has been in the pest control business for over 50 years. The best bait we've ever found was a thin strip of bacon fat (uncooked) tied on to the trap, then take a lighter and cook it a bit. The mouse will tug on the bacon and the snap trap will trigger. If you are lucky, you should be able to use the trap again without re-baiting. Please wear rubber gloves when removing the dead mouse.

With sticky traps, you can carefully pick them up by the edge while wearing a cheap pair of rubber gloves and pitch the whole thing into a paper bag, gloves and all. Now you must know, the mouse may make squealing noises, so consider that if you decide to go this way. Also, a mouse cannot be pulled off the trap to be let go outside.

Mice like to run with their shoulder against a wall, so traps should be placed near the woodwork, not out in the open.

Steel wool stuffed into open holes is an excellent way to block entrances until a permanent repair can be made.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Cathy4

DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 15, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6272243

Adopting a cat from the local shelter is a most effective way to rid yourself of rodents. Its also a humane thing to do for the cat.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2009 3:50 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Repair Big Screen TV Gymgirl 35 Aug 3, 2011 1:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America