Tractor question...engine oriented.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welp, figgered I'd start here in this forum since so many of us rely on tractors.

My tractor (J. Deere diesel) is only running on two of its 3 cylinders. At first I thought I had air in the injector lins so I cranked it up, put it at a good throttle speed and loosened No.1; the rpm dropped as it should and the fuel was running just fine. Did the same with No. 3, throttle dropped and fuel was running just fine. However, on the No. 2 line when I loosened it there was no throttle drop (rpm) so that told me only 1 and 3 were firing. The fuel seems to be spitting just fine thru the injector line.

Is there something else I should be looking for? No plugs on a diesel to check but surely there is something similar. (Guess you can tell I haven't worked on many diesel engines, eh?)

Many thanks. (Can't stand a piece of machinery not running like it's s'posed to!)

Shoe.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Shoe, could the injector itself be clogged or malfunctioning?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, I loosening the injector line at the top of the head and it is splitting some fuel. Just wonder if it is not enough though.

Any idea what would keep the fuel from firing in the cylinder? Where does a diesel engine get its spark from if no spark plugs? Any idea?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

From hubby to Shoe :

There are no plugs or anything that is similar. I will check what other options, but basically it would be because of three issues.

The injector is plugged, the valves need adjusting or there is no compression due to worn rings.

The first two are easy fixes, the last one is a big problem.

Most likely injector or valves

More to come friend Shoe :)
Dea

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Like I said, here's more....and we've had JD Diesels for a long time:

There is no spark or spark plug. Diesel engine has much higher compression and the diesel fuel will ignite under sufficient compression. The compression of the fuel causes its temperature to rise to the point where it will ignite.

First suggest that he put a good quality diesel additive in the fuel. This might work, although it is low probability. If not he will need a diesel mechanic to adjust the valves and the injector.

Dea

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dea, and Hubby!

Tractor only has 715 hrs on it (easy hours, too) so I hope the rings aren't shot yet. Or does Hubby think that is about when they will wear out?

If the injector is plugged maybe I'll start there and see what I can do (without damaging it!) before I call in a professional! And yes, will definitely even try the diesel additive, too!

Thanks!

Shoe.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

10,000 hours before the rings are shot is fairly standard on a diesel. Most likely the injector being clogged or you have a bad valve.

Let us know and best to you!

Dea

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Whewww!~ Thanks!

Will be working on it tomorrow then (best I can, anyway!).

Much obliged!

Shoe.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

How did this turn out? DH agreed it's likely the injectors and that injector cleaner additive is a cheap thing to try.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sorry Kmom...just got back to this thread.

As of this day I still haven't worked on it. With closing down the gardens (no tractor work involved) and taking a gazillion cuttings for rooting, winterizing things, and various other duties I put the tractor work on hold till I get caught up better.

Am definitely gonna get some injector cleaner stuff though, put it in and let the tractor idle a while and cross my fingers hoping it'll clean it out!

Will let you know. Thanks for asking!
Shoe.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Hoping you hear the happy JD sounds soon...

putt, pu pu puttt, pu pu putttt :)

Dea

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dea...I hope to hear that sound again, too!

Today I chose to pot up gardenia cuttings (176) and do some garden clean-up, paperwork (bigtime storms here today/tornado watches and warnings, so I stayed inside for a while!) split some firewood and then planned a few orders for next year. (Of course I am nowhere finished!)

I'm so glad I'm not under the gun to work on that tractor right now!

Shoe.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Winter is good :) For everything, there is a season :)

Dea

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...now just WHERE have I heard that before? Love it!

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images