Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Lascaux.....and brush water

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 27, Views: 383
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #2863915

Here's the results from my left over brush water from the first piece that I dyed...(check the 'Kathleen' thread)

It looks like the caves of Lascaux to me...you know, the ones with the prehistoric paintings of the horses and bison. I plan on hand painting the animals on the fabric and quilting the rocks for depth.

There's a show in our local gallery this spring and hopefully, I'll have both pieces ready.

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mmistyrose
Benton, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2006
1:46 PM

Post #2864774

very interesting. would look great with those pics you plan to put on there and the quilting you plan to do will just top it off!

please show a pic when it's finished...
tombaak
High Desert, NV
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2006
7:08 PM

Post #2865835

Very cool looking. Is it cotton?

I am going to try dyeing some mohair here in a week or so using the Kool-aid method.

I too would love to see pictures of the finished project.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2006
12:09 AM

Post #2866818

100% cotton, although this particular dye will 'take' with synthetics also.

The fabric was wet and spread on a plastic drop cloth in the sun, I scrunched and folded the larger striations in it and used a foam brush to make some bold streaks across it. I used a darker charcoal color with a touch of pearl to just tip the edges of some of the folds. The round dots were pebbles that I scattered across it and the type of dye that it is will burn out silhouettes if left for a bit of time.

I left it there all folded and scrunched till it dried...then took it inside and heat set it with my iron so I could re-wet it. I re-wet it and re scrunched and folded in different areas, making sure that my white ares that were hidden by the previous folds were where I could put color on them. I took darker pigment and lightly tipped the wrinkles and folds with my foam brush. I went back with white pearl and tipped edges again.

It just screamed 'cave painting' to me...I'm researching different ones at the moment and will paint the animals on in a week or so.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2006
10:15 AM

Post #2867764

I like it! Do you ever do the oven setting method? I put my fabric in the oven for 5 minutes at 300, works a charm, and no wrist strain from all the ironing.

Stan said he thought I'd have fabric out yesterday as it was sunny, but a 10 mph wind with gusts isn't exactly ideal conditions. I'm going to try my "therapy" light - 10,000 lux at 13 inches - and see if that will extend my painting season a bit. And, of course, the "stamping" with leaves etc. is always a possibility.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2006
1:41 PM

Post #2868177

This piece is about 2'x3' Kathleen...however do I put that in my oven?...the leaf piece is considerably larger...nearly 5' long. I figure my outdoors painting is about over too...holidays coming up and all...plus, I'm determined to completely finish both of these pieces before spring. If I have nothing else to distract me, I'll get them done and bound before the textile show at the gallery.

(when the weather turns bad, there's always fiber reactive dye...and I've got tons of that too)

You ought to pick up a new magazine called Creative TECHniques...tons of ideas and project suggestions for folks who like crafty things ...and, their computers. I've got the first 2 issues and am going to subscribe

http://www.creativetechniquesmag.com/
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2006
10:00 PM

Post #2869783

Fold it! I have a piece of aluminum foil that says "fabric" on it and I fold the piece to fit the foil and put it in a preheated oven. I was a little worried the first time, but I washed one piece in a regular cycle and the water didn't even change color. Works well and is easy.

I just subscribed to Quilting Arts (did I tell you that already?), but I'll check this out too. I told Lisa about the possibility of hand dyeing classes in the spring and she got all excited - I'll just commision you two to do my hand dyes and I'll stick with the paint. I must have had a bad experience with a tye dye project when I was a kid or something. The fabric paint calls to me, but dyes just scare the heck out of me!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2006
1:06 PM

Post #2871474

What about the dryer? Have you tried that? How many folds are too many for the interior to be heated properly in the oven? The smaller pieces I can visualize, but a big hunk (like the leaf panel) looks like it may be too bulky.

Come down and spend a day with me and I'll get you over your fear of the fiber-reactive stuff...I love using it. Totally different spectrum of colors and intensity, but really neat. All the kids around here have their own tee shirts that they've done...including Lisa's Sally.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2006
1:53 PM

Post #2871622

The biggest piece I've done is about 2' x 4' I'd say just check inside when you take it out to see if it's hot. So far, they always have been very hot on the inside. hmm, if it isn't hot on the inside, maybe you could refold it? Or scrunch it loosely? I don't go much wider than 20 inches as that's how wide my plastic panel is. The length is 4 feet, so I usually stay within that size range.

I should go and get some out - it's sunny now, but there are already puffy clouds showing up. It's probably too cool, though, still well under 40. Time to try out the lights.

Wish I could just drive over!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2874826

Yeah, we live just to bloomin' far apart. Can you imagine all the stuff we could get into if we were just down the road from each other?

Lisa and I will have a ball this spring...we'll be unstoppable...got all sorts of projects planned...we'd be a lethal combination if you were here too.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2006
5:17 PM

Post #2875465

Just don't go nyah nyah at me! I'm not sure that western Kentucky is ready for a native, a cajun and a yankee on the loose!

It's snowing - I think i'm indoors for a bit.
mmistyrose
Benton, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2875640

Well...I think you don't need to guess on whether or not western KY is ready for ya'll or not...I think you should test the theory and just go!!! hehehehe Ready or not KY!!!! :-)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2006
11:36 PM

Post #2888677

What Kathleen hasn't said is that her daughter and son-in-law bought property about 7 miles from me...Lisa is 12 miles from me...there will come a day this spring when we are all right there...and can get into all sorts of trouble!
mmistyrose
Benton, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2888743

Sounds like loads of fun to me Melody.

Ya know...I had to take a double look the first time I saw your town. Our places are so close to looking alike they way they are I almost thought I had a buddy down the street! lol

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2888774

Yeah, I know...I did the same thing.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2006
1:52 PM

Post #3030511

Here's an update...got some of my animals painted on...need one more bovine type in the upper right corner and a couple of handprints...it will get bound in some type of rough shredded fabric and I have bone beads to put on it...

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mmistyrose
Benton, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #3031680

oh...it's looking wonderful! such a good job! :-)
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #3033418

Well done! Here's my cave drawings poem, written about 8 years ago when Tom was a little guy

Drawing the Letters

I need to draw a story, he says,
I need to draw the letters.
Head down and tongue working, Tom
draws each letter that he knows,
putting them in combinations that
only he can read
He points out A and H.
These spell in Hannah’s name, he says,
recognizing his friend in the picture
of symbols he is only beginning to know.
When he is done, he reads me the story:
a rhinoceros and a leopard fight and then
stop and leave, each to his home.
I think of the walls of caves
covered with stories,
fiercely drawn with symbols
that we are just beginning to know,
each told by an artist whose tongue
worked around the edges
of his wonder.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3988945

wow that is pretty impressive melody.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #4036390

The piece is done, and has been hanging up at the courthouse Gallery all summer and fall. I haven't taken a final picture, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I'll go get it and bring it home.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #4205686

oh melody, i'm in love with those horses!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4206235

Thanks!

I got to get some pictures of it finished.
fitgrad
Amityville, NY

January 12, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #4392724

melody, that is just stunning! Beautiful! I have never seen anything like it, except pics ofthe original cave paintings, of course!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #4392996

I need to go and get this and take a picture of the final work. It's been hanging in the local gallery all summer, and is now in storage up there. I am just recovering from 2 broken ankles and have to rely on a wheelchair at the moment.

I added a rough black 'shreddy' border of burlap, a black bull, some red handprints, along with cords with shell and bone 'talismans'.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4393022

Melody, I know yer still laid up from the accident, but PLEASE DO get us some more pix! We're all in love with this piece.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #4543313

Oh, Melody,
It sounds like you really went through the wringer. So sorry you were hurt.
I too want a picture, but get well first.
I was over here reading up on any Reactive Dye info I could get. I am using various 100%cotton of 300 thread count or better sheets, some with a satin weave and have been following advise from Hand dyeing 101.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Now back to the search.
Thanks
Sidney

This message was edited Feb 15, 2008 5:14 PM
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 15, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #4543336

Oh my goodness, that is beautiful.. Your work is outstanding.. Wow.

I hope you feel better and get well soon. Good vibes going your way.

A.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4605586

Melody, I love your 'cave painting'. It's beautiful.

Aquene,
Moe/WQahtukques Sochepo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM
Making a Bedspread for a King Size Bed plantladylin 29 Apr 4, 2009 10:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America