Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Invasive Plants: Flaming

Communities > Forums > Invasive Plants
bookmark
Forum: Invasive PlantsReplies: 9, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2876142

I am being invaded by wild onion. It is loving this wet ground. I have never seen as much as this year, and not just in my disturbed back yard.

I've been digging up the clumps but can't keep up with the spread. Also I am crooked from crawling from clump to clump on my knees to dig these things out. I've read about the big flamethrower thingy for weeds, but I really don't want to invest in one because other than the onion grass where I eventually want to plant things, I don't care about my weeds. (That is, my alleged lawn is so weedy that I'd have to burn my whole yard to get rid of them.)

If I use a shovel to pop up divots of the bunches of bulbs, and then use a regular small propane touch to fry the bulbs, would that work OK? I would still have to crawl around to each divit, but at least I wouldn't have to do it more than once, I think.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2006
9:03 PM

Post #2876171

how about popping up the divots and leaving them in a bucket with water to rot over the winter? I have a big enough yard that I have corners for this kind of nonsense. I throw my divots under the old forsythia hedge, and I never notice them again.
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2006
11:04 PM

Post #2876448

I do have a big divot collection in buckets. I don't want to throw out good dirt! I was thinking of flaming because it would hopefully get all the bulbs. A clump has so many tiny bulbs as well as the more visible ones that it is very time consuming to search and pick. It's either that or taking quite a large shovel full of good dirt out in each place, and there are a lot of places.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2877758

OK i think I understand your logic now. I can't throw out good dirt either. I've never been as dedicated to removing it as you sound. I don't have any other ideas.
Equilibrium

November 3, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #2877977

A propane torch won't be effective. Are you sure it is wild onion and not wild garlic? It's hard to tell the difference between the two sometimes. Escambiaguy has a thread somewhere on controlling these plants. You might want to do a search for his thread as it had some interesting suggestions in it.

Here's another thread on those plants-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/587075/
Equilibrium

November 3, 2006
2:51 PM

Post #2878036

I just realized our search engine isn't working so it's going to be sort of hard to search for escambiaguy's threads but found another site that might interest you-

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/3-10-03.html

Differences between the two plants described here-

http://ipm.missouri.edu/ipcm/archives/v10n1/ipmltr2.htm

notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2006
3:52 PM

Post #2878212

sallyg, I've never bothered with removing it before unless incidentally to some other activity. I am concerned this Fall, though, because it is really, really spreading. I sure would like to stop it earlier rather than later.

Equi, why wouldn't the Bunsen burner work?

I read the DG threads a few months ago. Didn't even know there was a wild garlic that looked similar. I searched then, and was certain it was the onion. I've reread and looked at your sites. This does not have hollow leaves AND it looks identical to the perdue picture of the bulbs.

I have never noticed this stuff flowering. A small patch that has always thrived near a downspout out front I never trotted around to keep track of. Where it appeared out back got very dry in previous summers, and it died out on its own after a few lawn mower cuttings. (I occasionally cut the weeds in the dust bowl.) In mid-September I experimented with hand appyling some RU (which I think is not supposed to work on it). It did appear to cause those patches to yellow and die. (I say "appear" because I don't know that it really killed the bulbs...) I didn't keep up with that because I was doing a lot of other work. I manually removed patches when they were in an area I was working in. However, this rainy weather that has been so good for all the other plants is twice as good for spreading wild onion!

By the way, hand applying RU on vinca minor worked very well. It did nothing but slightly and temporarily wilt Hedera helix. It didn't even wilt the vinca major.

Why can't I fry these onions???
Equilibrium

November 3, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2879088

I got the sponge applied RU to finally kill off my English Ivy although it took quite a while. This was the last year of it I am hoping but it was still popping up here and there in the past few years mocking me. I don't recall whether I had Vinca Minor or V. major but which ever one I had... the sponge applied RU got that too. That seemed to be able to be killed off much easier than the English Ivy.

I have an acetylene torch. I never tried to kill off the Allium canadense but I did try to kill off the Allium vineale with it. It beat it back a little but the next year new growth emerged from those no good rotten bulbs and root fragments that I left behind after trying to pull them up. I'm going to go for Xeramtheum's method which I found to be extremely creative and I even went so far as to buy a new fly swatter. [quote]Here is what I did and it works astonishingly well! I attached medium grain sandpaper to both sides of a fly swatter then went and swatted the wild onions with it, bruising them. Then I sprayed the round-up.[/quote]

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2006
1:18 AM

Post #2879498

the swatter does sound fun. our local radio garden guy says to scuff them with your shoe, for the same purpose.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2879539

Here's a link to the thread I started http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/579651/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America