Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Invasive Plants: ID please

Communities > Forums > Invasive Plants
bookmark
Forum: Invasive PlantsReplies: 10, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #2880667

This is growing like crazy (which is why I suspect it's invasive) in and at the edge of the woods around here. It can get some really huge leaves that shade out everything else, though it's not vining. (The honeysuckle is taking care of everything that grows vertically.)

It reminds me of something we called skunk cabbage when I was a child, but it doesn't stink when a leaf is broken.

Thumbnail by notgrnjean
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #2880988

are these leaves coming out of a rosette on the ground? do any plants have a tall stem in the middle with any seed head?
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2881269

"No" to both questions, sallyg. I keep forgetting to take my camera with me which is why I brought back one of the mature leaves to photo. The younger plants have more rounded leaves. The get more elongated like this one, and pretty thick and tough.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2006
3:43 AM

Post #2883247

I don't know this, and I don'tthink it's skunk cabbage either. good luck!

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2883386

NGJ:

See if it is one of the Arctium bunch. These are herbaceous perennials, despite the size that they can attain.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53500/index.html

If you have woody plants, then you need to get pics to show. Let us know if the plant has opposite or alternate leaf arrangement, etc.
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2904522

I don't think it's Arcticum, VV. I can't remember seeing stalks or flowers on it, and there is no evidence now that it previously had any... it grows low to the ground and the leaves become very thick and large.

I took some more pics

Thumbnail by notgrnjean

notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2006
5:43 PM

Post #2904526

Another

Thumbnail by notgrnjean

notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2006
5:45 PM

Post #2904529

And another

Thumbnail by notgrnjean

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2006
6:02 PM

Post #2904568

Your first and second picture seem to be full of stalks, which seem to have clusters of cockleburs attached.

With my squinting, it looks like this one to me:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53500/index.html
notgrnjean
Southern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2904744

OK, next time I'm there I'll trace some of those stalks down into the ground. I thought they would be coming from the center of the plant, which I don't see, but maybe I'm just too careless.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2906200

Careless? Probably not. Aggravated and wanting to avoid clothes full of burs? Probably so.

The stalks could be from previous plants, and the leaves you see today are new seedlings. This is probaby one of those species that is biennial.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America